Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apple Investors

Started by BENTON PIGGEE, December 15, 2012, 02:08:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BENTON PIGGEE

Are you a bull or a bear? Stock or options? What is your strategy?

hog.goblin

Watching from the sidelines.  I'm curious what the next great product is that's going to drive earnings, particularly without Jobs.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 15, 2012, 04:42:44 pm
Watching from the sidelines.  I'm curious what the next great product is that's going to drive earnings, particularly without Jobs.

Most discussed is iTV but getting content from networks is a challenge.

elviscat

The new TV release could be a game changer. If they can work out the details of scheduling and contracts with major players they could sow up the TV markets like Itunes, no more cable TV or satellite charges. It could really bring down the cost of watching TV and Sports. Now you have internet service provider and cable companies ,plus phone service. Think of only having one provider at a reasonable price. It would serve all the greedy providers with a major problem and it would make it so much easier to see what you want to see with out going through so many devices. Just think of asking siri to find the Razorback football game and then you see it. This was Steve Jobs final victory before he died.

hog.goblin

The TV itself won't be the game changer.  The margins are too small and the competition is amazing.

However, if they can find a way to make money in the content, or restrict the content to their hardware, then there is some big potential there.

I think they will continue to be a great company, but there comes a point where it's difficult to have sustainable growth.

BENTON PIGGEE

I hope something about iTV will be mindblowing!

In the meantime, I bought shares starting at $560 down to $510. I also have calls- March $640 and $685 and June $700 and $740. I plan on buying puts if the stock tops $700 expiring this summer.

SpringTxHOG

I have a cost basis of $94.  Sold half my position at $325 holding the remaining shares, as it is all profit.

BENTON PIGGEE

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: SpringTxHOG on December 18, 2012, 08:02:16 pm
I have a cost basis of $94.  Sold half my position at $325 holding the remaining shares, as it is all profit.

I did not have much, just 6 or 7k worth at $80 a share.

Yeah, I sold at just over $100. I punch myself in the face every single day when I look at my iPhone.

Verge

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on December 29, 2012, 03:09:27 am
I did not have much, just 6 or 7k worth at $80 a share.

Yeah, I sold at just over $100. I punch myself in the face every single day when I look at my iPhone.

They have already shredded principals steve jobs clearly laid out in order to try and expand market share. Look for it to continue, their products to become more marginal, and them to never be the same.

I doubt they ever hit 600 again on their freefall to mediocrity.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: Verge on December 29, 2012, 07:32:22 pm
They have already shredded principals steve jobs clearly laid out in order to try and expand market share. Look for it to continue, their products to become more marginal, and them to never be the same.

I doubt they ever hit 600 again on their freefall to mediocrity.

I don't know what their shares will be worth in 5 years, but don't you think their earnings will be their biggest ever in January? The iPad mini, iPhone 5, China, etc.? That should pusth the price above last September's $705 high, IMHO

A lot of analysts think Jobs would want Cook to do what he thinks is best, not WWJD(what would Jobs do?)

LSUFan

I bought 100k at $100 and sold it all at $500. I'm done with it.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: LSUFan on December 29, 2012, 11:18:35 pm
I bought 100k at $100 and sold it all at $500. I'm done with it.

Well done!

Verge

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on December 29, 2012, 11:10:06 pm
I don't know what their shares will be worth in 5 years, but don't you think their earnings will be their biggest ever in January? The iPad mini, iPhone 5, China, etc.? That should pusth the price above last September's $705 high, IMHO

A lot of analysts think Jobs would want Cook to do what he thinks is best, not WWJD(what would Jobs do?)

Jobs would never have released the mini. Ever.

When the price drops on MacBooks, get out.

BENTON PIGGEE

AAPL just climbed back to its 50-day moving average. If it dips before its earnings announcement on January 23(around there), this could be an opportunity to make some coin. Verge, how confident are you it won't go over 600?

Verge

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on January 02, 2013, 09:49:57 am
AAPL just climbed back to its 50-day moving average. If it dips before its earnings announcement on January 23(around there), this could be an opportunity to make some coin. Verge, how confident are you it won't go over 600?

Decline in iPhone parts today. More and more confident. They are slowly abandoning the principals that made them. Principals that jobs forced when the board wanted hire profits.

They have also been lacking innovation since iPad 1.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: Verge on January 14, 2013, 09:15:59 am
Decline in iPhone parts today. More and more confident. They are slowly abandoning the principals that made them. Principals that jobs forced when the board wanted hire profits.

They have also been lacking innovation since iPad 1.

I have heard iPhone 5 parts orders are in decline because they are already making iPhone 5S's. But it's still hard to see shares go below $500! Ouch!

HawgWild

Perhaps the youngsters that cut their teeth on the I-Phone are now reaching the age where they need a bigger screen?  ;) I know that's a consideration for me when shopping for a smart phone.

On Tech Talk, Monday, they opined that I-Phone users were not seeing innovation coming out of Apple and looking elsewhere; the same thing Verge alluded to. Meanwhile, Samsung Galaxy sales are soaring.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: HawgWild on January 16, 2013, 11:15:12 am
Perhaps the youngsters that cut their teeth on the I-Phone are now reaching the age where they need a bigger screen?  ;) I know that's a consideration for me when shopping for a smart phone.

On Tech Talk, Monday, they opined that I-Phone users were not seeing innovation coming out of Apple and looking elsewhere; the same thing Verge alluded to. Meanwhile, Samsung Galaxy sales are soaring.

Maybe the iPhone 5S rumored to come out in May will look like that Samsung phone with the big screen. I actually might use an iPad Mini with a built-in phone for Bluetooth for a phone if it came like that.

LSUFan

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on January 16, 2013, 07:29:01 pm
Maybe the iPhone 5S rumored to come out in May will look like that Samsung phone with the big screen. I actually might use an iPad Mini with a built-in phone for Bluetooth for a phone if it came like that.
Quit focusing on the bigboys. In 2000 I bought shares in a company that patented NLS modems (Non Line of Site - Can see through walls) When Bush dropped the CG tax to 15%, the price trippled. The stocks I bought at 21 were at 68 that day. You gotta figure out what the next APL is brotha!

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: LSUFan on January 17, 2013, 03:23:59 am
Quit focusing on the bigboys. In 2000 I bought shares in a company that patented NLS modems (Non Line of Site - Can see through walls) When Bush dropped the CG tax to 15%, the price trippled. The stocks I bought at 21 were at 68 that day. You gotta figure out what the next APL is brotha!

There's more than one way to make money in the market. Dividend payers, value plays, large caps. I'm too old to go chasing startups who haven't shown a profit yet. Cept maybe a pill that gets rid of beer guts!

LSUFan

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on January 17, 2013, 08:38:30 pm
There's more than one way to make money in the market. Dividend payers, value plays, large caps. I'm too old to go chasing startups who haven't shown a profit yet. Cept maybe a pill that gets rid of beer guts!
Tru dat!

I don't want to by no Extenze, if I half inch pecker the diameter of a pencil. I want a pill called Expanze! And the beer gut pill to ;D

BENTON PIGGEE

How bout predictions on earnings (out tomorrow) and after-hours stock price? I say $15 and $550

HawgWild

Ouch! Apple opened in a free fall today.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: HawgWild on January 24, 2013, 08:57:01 am
Ouch! Apple opened in a free fall today.

Closed down 12% today.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

BENTON PIGGEE

Verge

hog.goblin

See this is where I'm thinking it might be time to buy.

Verge

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 27, 2013, 01:05:59 pm
See this is where I'm thinking it might be time to buy.

I bet it recovers, but long term they are on the decline.

They need something and a stupid tv ain't it.

hog.goblin

Don't disagree.  They need the next big thing and I'm not sure they can do it without Jobs.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Apple without Steve jobs is like guns n roses without axel rose.  Run

HognotinMemphis

I bought $50K worth at $451 last week. I figure APPL will substantially increase the dividend or spin off a division or two eventually. It will certainly increase stock buybacks which means shareholders will own a larger slice of the pie than they do now and share price will increase due to increase in EPS. With $140 net cash per share and growing, this is a no brainer. Getting the entire operations of the company for a bit over $300 per share. Forward P/E of 6 to 7. Ridiculous.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 30, 2013, 06:57:30 am
I bought $50K worth at $451 last week. I figure APPL will substantially increase the dividend or spin off a division or two eventually. It will certainly increase stock buybacks which means shareholders will own a larger slice of the pie than they do now and share price will increase due to increase in EPS. With $140 net cash per share and growing, this is a no brainer. Getting the entire operations of the company for a bit over $300 per share. Forward P/E of 6 to 7. Ridiculous.

Thats cool, I bought 20k of apple at $85 a share years ago and got out at 650.  Forget trying to catch these bounces post Jobs, now its a gamble, back than it was an investment. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on February 01, 2013, 08:17:43 am
Thats cool, I bought 20k of apple at $85 a share years ago and got out at 650.  Forget trying to catch these bounces post Jobs, now its a gamble, back than it was an investment.
It's a gamble if you do not know what you are doing. Apple is cheaper now on all metrics at $450 than it was at $85 5 years ago. But if you base your sense of "investment" on nominal price per share, you believe it is expensive.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hog.goblin

I couldn't hold out any longer.  Bought my first iPad and $10,000 of Apple stock.

hawgrunner

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 01, 2013, 10:17:37 pm
I couldn't hold out any longer.  Bought my first iPad and $10,000 of Apple stock.

Glad someone in this economy has $$.

hog.goblin

Well that was retirement money.  And found a steal on an iPad2.  The guy is upgrading, so he'll be spending the bucks.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 01, 2013, 08:26:38 am
It's a gamble if you do not know what you are doing. Apple is cheaper now on all metrics at $450 than it was at $85 5 years ago. But if you base your sense of "investment" on nominal price per share, you believe it is expensive.
I disagree...Apples day will be coming soon enough.  If you think it's always going to be what it is your wrong.  You may know investing(doubt it)I can guarantee you know nothing about S/W design.  BTW Welcome back...I look forward to many discussions with you on numerous topics.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: rivervalleyhog on February 06, 2013, 02:44:33 pm
I agree with him.  Would you care to make a wager?
Hey Rivervalley, you ever welched on a bet?
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 06, 2013, 08:59:19 am
"Know investing"? What the heck does that mean? It tells me you are in over your head.

I do not carry on discussions with morons and know-it-alls. You invest based on your own opinions and leave me alone.

If we didn't share our opinions, what would the message board creators do instead of running a message board?! Also can you tell me where you found the nonmorons on here? I would like to read some of their posts!

Dr. Leonard Ford

I don't know where the "nonmorons" are, but with your avatar I am guessing you are not one of them.

BENTON PIGGEE

August 15, 2013, 10:13:50 pm #41 Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:14:36 am by BENTON PIGGEE
IT'S BAAAACK!

Bought AAPL down to $390 and amassed 550 shares. Started selling 25 share chunks every $25 starting at $425. After swearing to give up on options, I bought a November $500 call for $750 which is now worth $2600.

Maybe I'll buy some puts if it gets over $700. There is some interesting Fibonacci stuff out there. I'll hold onto at least 100 shares. for the dividend.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on August 15, 2013, 10:13:50 pm
IT'S BAAAACK!

Bought AAPL down to $390 and amassed 550 shares. Started selling 25 share chunks every $25 starting at $425. After swearing to give options, I bought a November $500 call for $750 which is now worth $2600.

Maybe I'll buy some puts if it gets over $700. There is some interesting Fibonacci stuff out there. I'll hold onto at least 100 shares. for the dividend.
Nice. Good for u. I doubled up at $389, so my cost basis is around $420. Feeling good about AAPL for the foreseeable future. Long term holding for me.

HognotinMemphis

Back over $500 now. So many in this thread had no knowledge of Apple's current business and financial status and their comments made early in the year showed as much.

Here are holdings in my client accounts for AAPL. First number is value of AAPL holdings in each account and seconds is gain percentage. All positions initiated between late January and late April of this year. Gains do not include dividend...just capital appreciation of the stock.

$62,870 17.1 
   $60,355 16.2 
   $42,752 15.6 
   $40,237 17.1 
   $40,237 15.7 
   $30,178 20.2 
   $17,604 22.2 

hog.goblin

Quote from: HoginMemphis on August 23, 2013, 02:34:05 pm
Back over $500 now. So many in this thread had no knowledge of Apple's current business and financial status and their comments made early in the year showed as much.

Here are holdings in my client accounts for AAPL. First number is value of AAPL holdings in each account and seconds is gain percentage. All positions initiated between late January and late April of this year. Gains do not include dividend...just capital appreciation of the stock.

$62,870 17.1 
   $60,355 16.2 
   $42,752 15.6 
   $40,237 17.1 
   $40,237 15.7 
   $30,178 20.2 
   $17,604 22.2 

I'm up 8.8% as I was a tad premature purchasing in February as opposed to the dip in April.  But I'm very happy with return and the future prospects of the company.

I feel like I got in at a point where "the next big thing" isn't required for me to continue to make a profit.  But if they have a next big thing, watch out!

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on August 15, 2013, 10:13:50 pm
IT'S BAAAACK!

Bought AAPL down to $390 and amassed 550 shares. Started selling 25 share chunks every $25 starting at $425. After swearing to give up on options, I bought a November $500 call for $750 which is now worth $2600.

Sold it for $3500!

BENTON PIGGEE

Sold November AAPL $500 call for $2100 and $550 for $400 for an $800 profit. Meh.

Sold 25 shares at $500 for a $750 profit. Headed in the right direction at least.

Looking to buy calls or puts after earnings the 28th.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on October 18, 2013, 05:55:22 pm
Sold November AAPL $500 call for $2100 and $550 for $400 for an $800 profit. Meh.

Sold 25 shares at $500 for a $750 profit. Headed in the right direction at least.

Looking to buy calls or puts after earnings the 28th.
You left some on the table, my friend. Apple at $525 this morning. I will be holding my Apple stock for the foreseeable future.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 22, 2013, 09:21:18 am
You left some on the table, my friend. Apple at $525 this morning. I will be holding my Apple stock for the foreseeable future.

I always try to get rid of options at least one month before they expire to avoid time decay. I should have sold some shares today at $525 but I waited too long and they went down.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on October 22, 2013, 06:26:40 pm
I always try to get rid of options at least one month before they expire to avoid time decay. I should have sold some shares today at $525 but I waited too long and they went down.
Some point in the next 12 months, Apple stock will see $700.