Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apple Investors

Started by BENTON PIGGEE, December 15, 2012, 02:08:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

That will make me happy happy happy

Old Tusk

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 22, 2013, 10:27:23 pm
Some point in the next 12 months, Apple stock will see $700.

You know this how? You Have no clue what Apple will be worth.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Old Tusk on October 23, 2013, 02:30:16 pm
Same way those on MMQB know that Bert is going to lead the Hogs to a SECW championship in next 3 years. Give me at least one quarter rather than 1 hour before you contest my prediction without any support for your position.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hog.goblin

He has a clue, an educated clue at that, but it's no guarantee.  Sometimes companies are over or under valued for reasons that have nothing to do with their true value.

I'm very optimistic about my investment in Apple based on their management team, recent performance, current earnings, estimated future earnings, and product line.

My only concern is over saturation of their product.

BENTON PIGGEE

Sold 25 shares at $525 today. Yay!

This thread only took 10 months to get to page 2. yay.

Old Tusk

Always find it humorous when people think they can predict stock prices. In order to have an educated guess, the market would have to be rational and it is not. What  you have is hope that Apple goes to 700.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Old Tusk on October 24, 2013, 04:11:20 am
Always find it humorous when people think they can predict stock prices. In order to have an educated guess, the market would have to be rational and it is not. What  you have is hope that Apple goes to 700.
One can have a educated guess and be right. I have done it all of my adult life and been right a hell of a lot more than I've been wrong. In equity markets, you do not get validation in a month, or in a quarter or even in a year. You do get validation, one way or the other, in or around 5 years. That is my average holding period. I believe Apple's stock will not only hit $700 again, it will blow through that eventually. $700 in the next year and much higher than that in 5 years.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hog.goblin

Do you laugh at the weather man too?  I predict that we are going to lose to Auburn and LSU.  Is that a humorous prediction?

Predictions made on factual information can be sound and rational, even though they may end up being wrong.

HognotinMemphis

From today's WSJ:

Carl Icahn has boosted his investment in Apple by about 22% to 4.73 million shares, and continues to push for a massive $150 billion buyback at the company, according to a letter he sent to Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook.

The billionaire investor suggests the company use a self-tender offer to buy back the stock, and pledges that he himself wouldn't sell the stock and take profits.

As part of his thesis, Mr. Icahn suggests that three years after the buyback, with the benefit of earnings growth, Apple's shares could hit $1,250. The stock Thursday slipped 0.3% to $523.31.

HognotinMemphis

Many, like Old Tusk, have no idea how to make sense of facts regarding a company, so they are ultra skeptical when they see an opinion on stock price movement. I get that.  If you do not understand, you do not have confidence in any prediction or opinion.

Old Tusk

Actually, I think apple is an excellent buy. My comments were to the fact that no one can predict a future price.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Old Tusk on October 24, 2013, 10:21:27 am
Actually, I think apple is an excellent buy. My comments were to the fact that no one can predict a future price.
But one can predict a future price. As I stated above, been doing it all of my adult life.

Old Tusk

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 24, 2013, 10:22:35 am
But one can predict a future price. As I stated above, been doing it all of my adult life.

Sure you can.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Old Tusk on October 24, 2013, 06:53:26 pm
Sure you can.
Several recent examples of me doing it are here in this forum:

Apple - predicted it would move from $400 to north of $500 for 25% gain in less than one year. Done.
Microsoft - predicted it would move north of $35 in in next couple of years and would substantially raise its dividend, when I bought it below $25 2 or so years ago. Done. It is up over 6% in pre-market trading today at just under $36.

Ta da!

BENTON PIGGEE

AAPL beat earnings then traded from 530 to 505 then to 525 after hours.

Crazy.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on October 28, 2013, 10:38:23 pm
AAPL beat earnings then traded from 530 to 505 then to 525 after hours.

Crazy.
Even the pro analysts did not understand the accounting until it was explained to them.

Old Tusk

It is the efficient market..

McKdaddy

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 29, 2013, 08:09:46 am
Even the pro analysts did not understand the accounting until it was explained to them.

Spot-on. Traders, not investors, got burned on the headline.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 29, 2013, 08:58:47 pm
Spot-on. Traders, not investors, got burned on the headline.
I was hoping those idiots would have Apple trading down by $50 or more this morning. I starting buying at $450 and bought all the way down to just below $390 earlier this year. I would have bought more if it had dropped back down to $475 range today.

BENTON PIGGEE

I bought calls on limit orders for December, January and February when it dropped to $515 today. Won't buy any more until it goes below $485. I hope there is a China Mobile deal on Nov. 11.

BENTON PIGGEE

Sold my Dec call for a $400 loss.

Jan and Feb calls have doubled so far.

Sold 25 shares at $550 11/29.

Wrote my first covered call today. Excited about trading these! Next step will be cash-secured puts.

BENTON PIGGEE

I sold my first covered call! AAPL 575 expiring 12/20 for $675. I hope it doesn't reach that price and expires worthless, but I'd be ok if my shares are sold at that price.

BENTON PIGGEE

China Mobile deal announced today! Watch for the stock to run to $600 before earnings.

BENTON PIGGEE

I was shocked when the stock dropped from 550 to 496 after decent earnings. Fortunately, it has already rallied back to 544. I have regained all my losses since then plus some. Their stock buyback is helping.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 30, 2013, 06:57:30 am
I bought $50K worth at $451 last week. I figure APPL will substantially increase the dividend or spin off a division or two eventually. It will certainly increase stock buybacks which means shareholders will own a larger slice of the pie than they do now and share price will increase due to increase in EPS. With $140 net cash per share and growing, this is a no brainer. Getting the entire operations of the company for a bit over $300 per share. Forward P/E of 6 to 7. Ridiculous.
15 months later, all of this has happened. Today, Apple ups its dividend by 8%, increases its stock buyback program from $60 billion to $90 billion and splits 7 for 1. Although, I am not a fan of stock splits.

In the past 15 months since my post, Apple has indeed substantially increased its dividend. It has substantially increased its stock repurchases.

The stock is up more than $40 in after hours trading.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on February 05, 2013, 11:35:05 pm
I disagree...Apples day will be coming soon enough.  If you think it's always going to be what it is your wrong.  You may know investing(doubt it)I can guarantee you know nothing about S/W design.  BTW Welcome back...I look forward to many discussions with you on numerous topics.
Total idiot. Confirmed.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 22, 2013, 10:27:23 pm
Some point in the next 12 months, Apple stock will see $700.
I am still down for this by the way.

hog.goblin

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 23, 2014, 06:58:45 pm
I am still down for this by the way.

hoping you're right, because I'm still holding

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 01, 2013, 10:17:37 pm
I couldn't hold out any longer.  Bought my first iPad and $10,000 of Apple stock.

and I'm finding business clients who are replacing their PCs with Macs, and many who still need to run PC versions of software loading dual systems that can run both operating systems at the same time on separate monitors

intriguing

BENTON PIGGEE

I didn't sell any covered calls on my 200 shares of AAPL because of earnings announcement and now I am so glad!  I will probably sell some CC's tomorrow AM in case the price drops later on. I may get out of apple completely after the June 2nd 7:1 stock split. I feel a top coming on and have developed some new stock screening parameters.

I have started using option spreads- long calls so far, but I may do a short vertical call spread soon.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on April 23, 2014, 10:46:34 pm
I didn't sell any covered calls on my 200 shares of AAPL because of earnings announcement and now I am so glad!  I will probably sell some CC's tomorrow AM in case the price drops later on. I may get out of apple completely after the June 2nd 7:1 stock split. I feel a top coming on and have developed some new stock screening parameters.

I have started using option spreads- long calls so far, but I may do a short vertical call spread soon.
Best of luck on the option spreads. Too short term, too many moving parts, and more risky than vanilla stock buying for me.

As for a top coming on in Apple, I do not foresee a top any time soon. It's is still priced at a discount to the S&P 500 and it should be at a premium to it. It is ridiculous but I am very happy that it is since it has created a great value buying opportunity.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on October 23, 2013, 07:24:49 pm
Sold 25 shares at $525 today. Yay!

This thread only took 10 months to get to page 2. yay.
Left a lot on the table, my friend.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Old Tusk on October 23, 2013, 02:30:16 pm
LOL. 7 months later and need just another 10% between now and late October to hit $700 in my period of 1 year.

hog.goblin

Holding it and only regretting I couldn't find a way to buy more.

BENTON PIGGEE

I bought back in yesterday after selling covered calls at $580 last month. Already up $12/share, waiting for the split, then I'll cover again. Going to $700 presplit or $100 postsplit.

Old Tusk

As a matter of curiosity, what is an Apple investor?

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: Old Tusk on May 30, 2014, 09:14:02 pm
As a matter of curiosity, what is an Apple investor?

Depends on how you define the word investor.

Old Tusk

I'm enjoying following your trade. But every time I see the title, I think just about everyone has a position in Apple.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: Old Tusk on May 31, 2014, 07:25:08 am
I'm enjoying following your trade. But every time I see the title, I think just about everyone has a position in Apple.

Thank you. AAPL share price didn't make any sense to me until I learned more about technical analysis and stopped trying to understand it through fundamental analysis. Just the way some stocks are, I guess.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on May 31, 2014, 11:49:09 pm
Thank you. AAPL share price didn't make any sense to me until I learned more about technical analysis and stopped trying to understand it through fundamental analysis. Just the way some stocks are, I guess.
Funny. Exactly the opposite for me. Fundamental, bottom up analysis is what drew me to Apple. It was so cheap at $450, where I began investing in it a year ago. And its further drop to under $400 made increasing my investment by 100% a no brainer. I would never rely on charts to dictate my investments.

hog.goblin

I use fundamental analysis to decide whether to buy or sell a stock.  Chart analysis factors in (somewhat) to the timing of my purchase or sale.

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: HoginMemphis on June 01, 2014, 11:11:03 am
Funny. Exactly the opposite for me. Fundamental, bottom up analysis is what drew me to Apple. It was so cheap at $450, where I began investing in it a year ago. And its further drop to under $400 made increasing my investment by 100% a no brainer. I would never rely on charts to dictate my investments.

I guess there is a reason people say at the bottom of the ocean there are ships with chart rooms full of charts.

But the charts will tell you when the market makers decide to push the stock higher or lower independent of the fundamentals.

This stock is going higher.

[attachment deleted by admin]

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on June 02, 2014, 11:08:05 pm
I guess there is a reason people say at the bottom of the ocean there are ships with chart rooms full of charts.

But the charts will tell you when the market makers decide to push the stock higher or lower independent of the fundamentals.

This stock is going higher.
Does it tell you how much higher? Can you read my palm?

BENTON PIGGEE

Quote from: HoginMemphis on June 03, 2014, 12:55:45 pm
Does it tell you how much higher? Can you read my palm?

Yes. It will go back to at least $700. You will die on November 22, 2016 in a hot air balloon accident.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BENTON PIGGEE on June 03, 2014, 05:33:31 pm
Yes. It will go back to at least $700. You will die on November 22, 2016 in a hot air balloon accident.
I already know about the hot air balloon thing in Nov 2016. Good to know Apple heading to at least $700.

BENTON PIGGEE

New price target of $105. I have shares plus $90 calls. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!

96 handle today.

BENTON PIGGEE

I sold 5 covered calls last week $100 Oct for $400 each. I have another 5 to sell- I may wait til it hits 105.

Profited on my Aug 95/100 long call spread, hoping to get more profit from the same spread expiring in sept and oct.

HawgWild

You Apple owners pleased with today's rollout?

BENTON PIGGEE

I am. The stock tends to go down after announcements, then bounce up within a week or so. The devices look very good.

HognotinMemphis

As the Faber College motto goes, "knowledge is good". Apple, as I said it would, has hit $700 again. Did it last month and still there. $700 post split that is, after splitting 7 for 1. When you have knowledge, you can accurately predict the future.

hog.goblin

I'm up 53.5% on Apple since I bought it about 19 months ago.  I'll take that everyday and twice on Sundays.

I like the product announcement.  The iPhone 6, and particularly the 6+ should keep sales steadily growing.

At first the iWatch gave me the same response as the first iPod - YAWN.  But I was wrong about the iPod and by the time I finished seeing the full video I was pretty excited.  Not sure about cost and privacy concerns, but it has real potential.