Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are you losing 1/3 of your 401k?

Started by OldPoop, July 02, 2012, 04:50:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OldPoop

I run my own IRA and Roth and trading account, so I have absolutely no idea if their 1/3 loss claim is true, but it is an interesting very short read.

http://www.wealthwire.com/news/finance/3440?r=1
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens my act only by permission.   Ayn Rand

You get what you pay for.   You pay for zombies, you get all you want – and then some. 
Milton Friedman
"To say the government is the source of prosperity is like saying that the ticks are keeping the dog alive."  Jeff Tucker
Government attracts sociopaths the way an open bar attracts alcoholics.      Doug Casey
War - the government tells you who the bad guy is . . . . . Revolution - you figure it out for yourself.

PEtrader

July 02, 2012, 05:45:44 pm #1 Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:47:56 pm by PEtrader
If anyone is losing that much to fees than they should call FINRA and a lawyer and sue for failing the fiducary rule on part of the trustee and advisor.

401ks are one of the cheapest ways to invest for anyone because the majority don't carry trading fees.  They work by using "retirment class shares"  that charge much lower rates than normal funds , .25-.90bps, and no commish when they are traded to the advisor.  They don't always, but the majority do.  On top of this alot of the actual costs of the running the plan is passed on to the company or is paid for from forfeiture funds from people losing money when they leave to vesting rules.

I think the arguement that the article is making is that if you left your acct in a your portfolio for 50 years and never made any return in the market, than you could incur high fees.  If you haven't made any return in the market in 50 years than why did you keep your money there, and something must be seriously wrong ie it just isn't statistically going to happen if your account is diversified.   You also would incur much higher fees if it was anywhere else in the market.  You typically are not charged for holding cash besides possibly a minimal acct charged by the money mkt.  The fees they are talking about sound like possibly a self-directed acct which is basically a 401k acct that you can trade like a regular brokerage acct.   It is more expensive because you ahve alot more paperwork for ERISA to do and it is still in line with a normal brokerage acct. 

I think these guys are just misinformed or writing from a slant. 
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

McKdaddy

Quote from: PEtrader on July 02, 2012, 05:45:44 pm
If anyone is losing that much to fees than they should call FINRA and a lawyer and sue for failing the fiducary rule on part of the trustee and advisor.

401ks are one of the cheapest ways to invest for anyone because the majority don't carry trading fees.  They work by using "retirment class shares"  that charge much lower rates than normal funds , .25-.90bps, and no commish when they are traded to the advisor.  They don't always, but the majority do.  On top of this alot of the actual costs of the running the plan is passed on to the company or is paid for from forfeiture funds from people losing money when they leave to vesting rules.

I think the arguement that the article is making is that if you left your acct in a your portfolio for 50 years and never made any return in the market, than you could incur high fees.  If you haven't made any return in the market in 50 years than why did you keep your money there, and something must be seriously wrong ie it just isn't statistically going to happen if your account is diversified.   You also would incur much higher fees if it was anywhere else in the market.  You typically are not charged for holding cash besides possibly a minimal acct charged by the money mkt.  The fees they are talking about sound like possibly a self-directed acct which is basically a 401k acct that you can trade like a regular brokerage acct.   It is more expensive because you ahve alot more paperwork for ERISA to do and it is still in line with a normal brokerage acct. 

I think these guys are just misinformed or writing from a slant. 

^^^^
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin