Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BAC???

Started by gunther, November 30, 2011, 09:14:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gunther

Think the bottom is in and nowhere to go but up or at risk of bankruptcy and common shares going to zero??

bgsisco

No bankruptcy but I bet it will hang around 4-7 for a few years.

userpick

With Buffett committing $5,000,000,000 I feel pretty safe in saying it will rise drastically. One would think, anyway...

HawgWild

Quote from: userpick on December 21, 2011, 09:20:11 pm
With Buffett committing $5,000,000,000 I feel pretty safe in saying it will rise drastically. One would think, anyway...

When did Buffett buy in? I was thinking that this was over a year ago. Or, was that another banking stock?

userpick

Quote from: HawgWild on December 22, 2011, 08:06:14 am
When did Buffett buy in? I was thinking that this was over a year ago. Or, was that another banking stock?

I want to say that was in august, but I'm not positive. I know it was $6.19/share when he bought in, so he's definitely lost money in it already. But the past few days has been promising. Started the week around $5 and already up to around 5.50. Hopefully that trend continues. Remember, just a few years ago it was over 50/share.

OldPoop

Quote from: userpick on December 22, 2011, 01:06:05 pm
I want to say that was in august, but I'm not positive. I know it was $6.19/share when he bought in, so he's definitely lost money in it already. But the past few days has been promising. Started the week around $5 and already up to around 5.50. Hopefully that trend continues. Remember, just a few years ago it was over 50/share.

Our tax dollars will most likely bail out BAC and Buffet (if he actually put his own money into it).
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens my act only by permission.   Ayn Rand

You get what you pay for.   You pay for zombies, you get all you want – and then some. 
Milton Friedman
"To say the government is the source of prosperity is like saying that the ticks are keeping the dog alive."  Jeff Tucker
Government attracts sociopaths the way an open bar attracts alcoholics.      Doug Casey
War - the government tells you who the bad guy is . . . . . Revolution - you figure it out for yourself.

userpick

Quote from: OldPoop on December 23, 2011, 10:29:30 am
Our tax dollars will most likely bail out BAC and Buffet (if he actually put his own money into it).

Either way, 5 billion and Buffett's name in the same sentence is generally an encouraging sign. All of the experts say it was tremendously stupid, so that makes me feel even better about it. But it's definitely a risk.

Kleinhaus

Quote from: userpick on December 22, 2011, 01:06:05 pm

Buffet didn't buy $5 billion in common stock.  He bought $5 billion in preferred stock.  There is a huge difference.  Preferred stock is essentially a hybrid instrument with properties of both stocks and bonds.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/buffett-to-invest-5-billion-in-bank-of-america/
QuoteUnder the terms of the deal, Berkshire will buy $5 billion of preferred stock that pay a 6 percent annual dividend, and receive warrants for 700 million shares that it can exercise over the next 10 years. Bank of America has the option to buy back the preferred shares at any time for a 5 percent premium.

He is getting a much better deal than holders of common stock.

userpick

Quote from: Kleinhaus on December 23, 2011, 06:19:10 pm
Buffet didn't buy $5 billion in common stock.  He bought $5 billion in preferred stock.  There is a huge difference.  Preferred stock is essentially a hybrid instrument with properties of both stocks and bonds.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/buffett-to-invest-5-billion-in-bank-of-america/
He is getting a much better deal than holders of common stock.

I understand that, but do you think he would invest 5 billion dollars if he didn't think the company was on its way up?

Kleinhaus

Quote from: userpick on December 23, 2011, 06:36:23 pm
I understand that, but do you think he would invest 5 billion dollars if he didn't think the company was on its way up?

I don't think it has as much to do with his expected performance of the company as him understanding how the FED discount window works.  Kind of inline with OldPoop, he just knows the system (and frankly the people who run it) and is betting on John Q. Taxpayer to backup his "investment".

BAC's acquisition of Merrill Lynch has turned into a financial and legal nightmare.  I would be weary of them personally .. unless you are an insider and a billionaire.   ;)

userpick

Quote from: Kleinhaus on December 23, 2011, 09:00:00 pm
I don't think it has as much to do with his expected performance of the company as him understanding how the FED discount window works.  Kind of inline with OldPoop, he just knows the system (and frankly the people who run it) and is betting on John Q. Taxpayer to backup his "investment".

BAC's acquisition of Merrill Lynch has turned into a financial and legal nightmare.  I would be weary of them personally .. unless you are an insider and a billionaire.   ;)

haha you caught me...