Love this one

Started by Biggus Piggus, January 25, 2010, 01:42:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

January 25, 2010, 01:42:32 pm Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:36:53 pm by Oklahawg
nm
[CENSORED]!

SultanofSwine

In a domestic only discussion, he might not be that far off but his article fails to consider the bigger global picture imo.

SultanofSwine

Was going to start a thread on what everyone's outlook for '10 and '11 are but this seems like a good place for that discussion.

Anyone?

SultanofSwine

Dont disagree but I am not sure that the market has enough stability to weather what might otherwise be minor blips thus creating the effect of a bubble pop. That said, I dont expect a major retrace towards the lows but certainly wouldnt rule it completely out.

Singha Hog

Good grief that article has some much crap in it where do you start?

Given the huge deficits from the bailouts, it's likely that investors will want a far bigger cushion for expected inflation

If we start to get the hyper-inflation everyone is so worried about, what do you think is going to happen to the price of oil and gold?  Sure as hell ain't going down.

So how much are oil companies paying to produce the world's most expensive barrels of oil? A good estimate is $55 to $60 a barrel. That's what it costs Anadarko Petroleum (APC, Fortune 500) to extract oil from deep wells in the Gulf of Mexico

Yes, deepwater wells in the GOM are expensive but they are not necessarily the most expensive in the world.  Try your hand at drilling offshore Russia where it takes specialized ice-proof supply vessels, LNG carriers, etc. 

Oh, and some of the places where it's easy to get oil out of the ground can have 50% to even 100% added cost for government corruption errrr charitable donations.  You think places like Nigeria and Venezuela aren't fleecing the hell out of the oil and gas companies?  Who do you think pays that in the end?

When this happened in the early 1980s with silver, prices plummeted from $50 to $15 in less than a year.

And here I thought the main reason silver plummeted so much is because the Hunts got busted for trying to corner the market.  That may have had a little bit to do with the run up to $50 don't you think?

OldPoop

Quote from: Singha Hog on January 31, 2010, 06:43:26 am
Good grief that article has some much crap in it where do you start?

And here I thought the main reason silver plummeted so much is because the Hunts got busted for trying to corner the market.  That may have had a little bit to do with the run up to $50 don't you think?

You are correct sir.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens my act only by permission.   Ayn Rand

You get what you pay for.   You pay for zombies, you get all you want – and then some. 
Milton Friedman
"To say the government is the source of prosperity is like saying that the ticks are keeping the dog alive."  Jeff Tucker
Government attracts sociopaths the way an open bar attracts alcoholics.      Doug Casey
War - the government tells you who the bad guy is . . . . . Revolution - you figure it out for yourself.

HognotinMemphis

That is one of the more stupid articles I've read in a long time. Whoever wrote that is not smart.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Fletch

I don't know if he is taking Brian Wesbury's comments out of context or what, but he has been one of the most bullish investors throughout the entire bear market and still maintains his V shaped recovery view.
I feel like $100

Oklahawg

Oil prices bumping forward despite soft demand and noteworthy reserves. That was the assessment in the Tulsa World this morning.

T Boone Pickens has been awfully quiet on his natural gas and windpower plans. At least lately. Maybe he's trying to figure out how to repay Okie State the millions he lost for them with his hedge funds.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

DeltaBoy

Nothing like Chicken Little's running around.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.