Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Realtor count dropping

Started by Biggus Piggus, October 02, 2008, 01:01:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

The NAR said the Realtor count was down to 1.25 million in September, 8.4% below Sept. 2007 and almost 9% below peak.

The Realtor count is still more than 75% higher than it was 10 years ago.  That kind of increase is way out of whack with history.

A lot of people entered the business because it was hot, of course.  Average annual growth accelerated from 3% in 2001 to 7% in 2002, 11% in 2003, 12% in 2004, and 14% in 2005.  Tacked on another 11% in 2006 and 2% in 2007.

From 2002-06 the Realtors added a net 487,000 to their dues-paying rolls, more than their entire membership in 1976.

I don't expect to see those numbers quit falling until 2011.

How much did the enormous growth in real estate agents contribute to the boom, or were they just victims?  I don't know what to think.
[CENSORED]!

JM Gorilla

Hot Springs BOR membership is still almost 300% what it was in 2006.   

H&D

As a Real Estate agent I wouldn't mind seeing a majority of the "part time" agents find something else to do.  I hate calling an agent for info or a showing and not hearing back from them. I know our board membership has dropped some in the last few months, but I believe based on who is leaving it actually will have a positive effect on the quality of service you are going to receive from your Realtor.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HawgsandDawgs on October 02, 2008, 02:12:09 pm
As a Real Estate agent I wouldn't mind seeing a majority of the "part time" agents find something else to do.  I hate calling an agent for info or a showing and not hearing back from them. I know our board membership has dropped some in the last few months, but I believe based on who is leaving it actually will have a positive effect on the quality of service you are going to receive from your Realtor.

Good point.  Can you believe, when my daughter told her first grade teacher we were moving from Kansas last February, the teacher hit me up for a listing?  Gave me her business card.  She was a part-time agent.  Nice ethics there, teach.
[CENSORED]!

Verge

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 02, 2008, 01:01:24 pm
The NAR said the Realtor count was down to 1.25 million in September, 8.4% below Sept. 2007 and almost 9% below peak.

The Realtor count is still more than 75% higher than it was 10 years ago.  That kind of increase is way out of whack with history.

A lot of people entered the business because it was hot, of course.  Average annual growth accelerated from 3% in 2001 to 7% in 2002, 11% in 2003, 12% in 2004, and 14% in 2005.  Tacked on another 11% in 2006 and 2% in 2007.

From 2002-06 the Realtors added a net 487,000 to their dues-paying rolls, more than their entire membership in 1976.

I don't expect to see those numbers quit falling until 2011.

How much did the enormous growth in real estate agents contribute to the boom, or were they just victims?  I don't know what to think.

Up here in NWA, for a while there it seemed like pretty much EVERYBODY was either a contractor, or a [CENSORED] realtor.... and alot made a bunch of money very fast, and were complete asshats about it.

To those people.... I'm glad you're unemployed and have nothing - D**ks!

H&D

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 02, 2008, 02:43:55 pm
Good point.  Can you believe, when my daughter told her first grade teacher we were moving from Kansas last February, the teacher hit me up for a listing?  Gave me her business card.  She was a part-time agent.  Nice ethics there, teach.

Oh I can believe it.  But at least she gave you her business card and didn't give it to your daughter to give to you.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HawgsandDawgs on October 02, 2008, 05:41:41 pm
Oh I can believe it.  But at least she gave you her business card and didn't give it to your daughter to give to you.

She gave me her card at our parent-teacher conference.  For one of the few times in recorded history, I was at a loss for words.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

In January 2009, the Realtor total was down 10.6% Y/Y.  Slowly but surely, Realtors are dropping out at an accelerating rate.  The Realtor total is down to where it was in spring 2005.  Some have been subsisting on the exaggerated transaction volume due to foreclosures, but that benefit should level off.  Then the Realtor total will appear dramatically out of whack with demand.
[CENSORED]!

snoblind

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 03, 2008, 08:09:41 am
She gave me her card at our parent-teacher conference.  For one of the few times in recorded history, I was at a loss for words.
That's how you are taught to do it.  Work every angle, never miss an opportunity to hand out a card, and bug everyone you know for leads.

I'm also a full-time realtor.  Got into it after 20 years in manufacturing management and saying good bye to my 3rd company in 10 years after we moved all the production to China.  At the time I was also caring for an elderly parent and needed the flexibility it gave me.  Rather disillusioned about the whole deal.  If I had a real life and the expenses that come with it I would have already been gone.  I guess back to maunfacturing...oops, down 2500 jobs in that industry in the past year where I live - so much for that idea.