Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apartment REITS?

Started by HognotinMemphis, September 23, 2008, 09:37:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

In trying to think about what may be a good investment in light of current conditions, would apartments be a profitable investment now?

Mortgage credit is now very limited which means many of those who could buy homes in the last 5 years cannot buy homes anymore. And, those who did buy homes are being foreclosed on now and will end up in an apartment.

The major risk I see, and this is a risk for EVERYTHING, is that if the economy continues to worsen and unemployment continues to increase, apartments will either have large vacancies and/or will have to maintain current rent levels, maybe even have to accept lower rent rates.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

vandybuff

My observations as a former rental prop. owner.

There is always the chance that your now heavily-armed tenants could buy a steel-reinforced door and barricade themselves into your property so as to run a crack-house.

On the other hand, you could have some real problems ....

:)
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!