Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FINANCIAL ADVICE FOR THE COLLEGE HOG FAN

Started by amiley, June 10, 2008, 09:30:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

amiley

I'm 21 and in the middle of my college career. I have a small sum of money that is in a high intrest savings account and the current interest rate, a little over 5%, is about to expire. With the economy being what it is, i haven't seen any other interest rates near what I have. Any advice or suggestions on how to move forward would be greatly appreciated.

hogdave

If your not afraid of stocks try PBT or BPT.  They are oil field royalty trusts and both pay a yeild over 10% much better than any savings account or CD would ever get you. 

Is there not an investment/finance club on campus?  You could get good ideas from them.

cdhogfan

Quote from: amiley on June 10, 2008, 09:30:08 am
I'm 21 and in the middle of my college career. I have a small sum of money that is in a high intrest savings account and the current interest rate, a little over 5%, is about to expire. With the economy being what it is, i haven't seen any other interest rates near what I have. Any advice or suggestions on how to move forward would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have any debt?

amiley

cdhogfan

I would keep some in a money market for an emergency fund and put the rest into a mutual fund, perhaps even start a Roth.  Go to your local Arvest Asset management office and they can set you up.

amiley

Quote from: cdhogfan on June 10, 2008, 10:47:44 am
I would keep some in a money market for an emergency fund and put the rest into a mutual fund, perhaps even start a Roth.  Go to your local Arvest Asset management office and they can set you up.

do you work for arvest?

cdhogfan

Quote from: amiley on June 10, 2008, 11:04:44 am
do you work for arvest?

No, but I do use them and have always been happy with their service. 

cdhogfan

Quote from: Razorback56 on June 10, 2008, 10:56:38 am
or you could save that money for a down payment on a house or something if you think are close to settling down.  could get a good deal on a house now.

He could always get the money out of the Roth (the portion he contributed) if he wanted to purchase a house.

amiley

what about a bond from the government? like and i bonds, or treasuries.

HogNuttz

If your looking for percentage returns and possibly a little extra as a bonus, google "dogs of the dow".

This method works great if you plan on leaving your money in stocks for a while, provides decent return, but also allows you to pull your money out in an emergency situation.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

cdhogfan

amiley

Quote from: Razorback56 on June 10, 2008, 03:23:28 pm
just don't blow it all on booze and whores.
Quote from: cdhogfan on June 10, 2008, 03:39:44 pm
Well, at least not all of it.

i have another account for "special" expenses.

cdhogfan

Quote from: amiley on June 10, 2008, 02:18:17 pm
what about a bond from the government? like and i bonds, or treasuries.

I would think as young as you are that you could stand something with a bit more risk.

amiley

thanks guys, i'll start looking into some of your suggestions.