Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rick Barnes to Tennessee

Started by ricepig, March 30, 2015, 02:58:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP 9h9 hours ago

Tennessee loses 63-57 at Alabama and is now 3-2 in SEC games it's led for 30-plus minutes.

Vols were outscored 16-2 in the final 4:16 of that game. Brutal.

In six of eight SEC games Tennessee's led for nearly 192 out of a possible 240 minutes, and the #Vols are 3-3 in those games.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

SEC Network ‏@SECNetwork 13h13 hours ago

Crimson Tide Comeback!

@AlabamaMBB rallies from down 15 in the 2nd half to beat Tennessee 63-57.

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 3h3 hours ago

Hoops Beat blog: Postgame quotes from Barnes/Hubbs/Punter explaining an inexplicable loss Tuesday at Bama http://knoxblogs.com/hoops-beat/2016/01/27/postgame-quotes-alabama-63-vols-57/ ...

QuoteRICK BARNES, Jan. 26
"That might've been the ugliest 20 minutes of basketball for two teams in the first half I think I've seen in a long time. Then second half, when we had a chance, had control of the game and let it go, it just gets down to competitive spirit. That's all it gets down to. We weren't tough enough to compete all the way through and play 40 minutes. That's what it got down to."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 39s39 seconds ago

#Vols hoops got rid of some post-loss blues today by visiting a local children's hospital: http://bit.ly/1JGevTL 

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey  5h5 hours ago Knoxville, TN
Rick Barnes won't be a "joystick coach," even when poor offense equals poor defense and games are thrown away http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/are-vols-in-need-of-a-joystick-coach-in-basketball--2a6f42e5-348e-583b-e053-0100007f7dc5-367008921.html ...

Quotehttp://"I think one of the most important things in coaching is letting players play with a free mind," Barnes said Friday afternoon at Pratt Pavilion. "I think you've got to get them to understand the game and what goes into it."

Entering Saturday's Big 12/SEC Challenge game (TV: ESPN2, 2 p.m.) at TCU (9-11), the Vols (10-10) have to understand how to guard for 40 minutes.

"To me, joysticking is more where every time down the floor you want to call a play, you want to do this and do that," Barnes said. "We did not guard coming down the stretch (against Alabama), that was the bottom line.

"They came down, it started with an offensive rebound and a foul. But that's where we got hurt, the defensive end."

Barnes has repeatedly bemoaned his team's inability to use a scouting report to their advantage, getting away from the game plan early. It applied again at Alabama.

After the loss, Barnes referred to Tennessee's early lead as "fool's gold" after ignoring another scouting report.

"I don't think they realize that other teams scout us," Barnes said on Tuesday. "They come out, like Armani Moore was wide open at the top of the key, that was by design, hoping he would get in a hurry and try to dribble the ball and he did and he turned it over.

"We knew they were going to trap (Kevin) Punter, that's pretty easy to figure that out."

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 14h14 hours ago

Wes Rucker Retweeted Allan Bell

Barnes is a fun guy to cover. No doubt about that. You always know where he stands on everything.

Not Butch

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 19m19 minutes ago

Returning to Texas, Rick Barnes tells the Dallas Morning News he believes 'I'm where God wants me to be' http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texaslonghorns/2016/01/29/believe-god-wants-rick-barnes-whose-vols-visit-tcu-opens-exit-texas ...

QuoteFORT WORTH -- Rick Barnes took in renovated Schollmaier Arena, trying to pinpoint everything that had changed since his last visit.

Then he immediately started quizzing a bystander on how Charlie Strong's recruiting was going and what national signing day looked like for Texas football.

While Barnes is fully invested in his first year as Tennessee head coach, the 17 seasons he spent at Texas and in the Big 12 remain a key part of life. The old and new chapters intersected in Friday night's shootaround before Tennessee (10-10) faces TCU (9-11) as part of the Big 12/SEC Challenge.

Barnes says he's fully exchanged one shade of orange for another.

"When you leave, you let everybody who needs that color have it," Barnes said, sitting back on a courtside seat. "I have wonderful friendships here. I'll always be a fan of Texas.

"I'm very blessed to have this opportunity. There's no doubt in my mind we're going to get it going."

Among the people Barnes talked with was Texas successor Shaka Smart...

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey  40m40 minutes ago
Early gamer: Plots reads the same, just a different opponent in a different arena. Vols fall 75-63 at TCU. http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/tennessee-blows-14-point-halftime-lead-in-loss-to-tcu-2a843af1-fbd7-61fa-e053-0100007fe234-367104581.html

Usher just asked if the Texas coach was coming out to do radio. Other usher: "You mean Tennessee?"

Vols have been outscored in the 2nd half of games vs. major conference teams (14) 603-546. Only 3-5 in those games when leading at the half.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey  4h4 hours ago Tyler, TX
Hoops Beat blog: Postgame quotes from Rick Barnes, Kevin Punter and Kyle Alexander following 75-63 loss at TCU http://knoxblogs.com/hoops-beat/2016/01/30/postgame-quotes-tcu-75-vols-63/ ...

QuoteRICK BARNES, Jan. 30
"It's been kind of the same thing the last couple games, when adversity starts coming a little bit. You would expect them to make a run. We told them to start the second half they would come out and look to really drive the ball at us.

"What happens when it starts swinging the wrong way for us, we have too many guys that just go and hide and put everything on KP. And everyone is game-planning for him anyway. He needs some help."

"I thought Armani and KP (played well). And I thought Kyle Alexander did a terrific job. He's been playing basketball two years. He's going to be a really good player. I thought Shembari and Admiral, those guys, (played well).

"We've got to get more out of Robert Hubbs and Devon Baulkman. Detrick (Mostella), too many turnovers. He just gets, I don't know where he gets going.

"It's just handling adversity. And we haven't done a good enough job of that."

jbcarol

Rick Barnes: #Vols need more from Robert Hubbs, Devon Baulkman: http://bit.ly/1VA949M 

Quote"When people start making a push at us, we have too many guys that hide," Barnes said. "I mean, we put everything on Kevin and Armani. ... We just can't keep putting everything on Kevin Punter. Teams are gonna load up on him. We had too many guys that I thought shied away from it when he was being pressured and stuff. He was the one guy that kept talking about moving and screening. Too many guys were just standing around, just expecting him to do everything, and he can't do everything. He's terrific. I wouldn't trade him for anybody, but the fact of the matter is he (can't do everything).

"When Armani left the game, I just felt like the guys that needed to step up for us didn't do it."

Barnes pointed to a pair of veterans — junior guard Robert Hubbs and senior guard Devon Baulkman — and publicly challenged them to give Tennessee more.

Hubbs, a former five-star prospect from West Tennessee, scored just two points on 1-of-7 shooting from the floor and failed to corral a single rebound in 21 minutes at TCU...

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik 2h2 hours ago

Rick Barnes said Tennessee isn't running that many plays for Kevin Punter. He's generating points within the offense, averaging 23 points

Barnes: "I don't know if I've ever played with five guards as much as we have this year."

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 2h2 hours ago Knoxville, TN

Final: Vols 84, No. 20 Kentucky 77. Tennessee rallies from down 21 with under six minutes left in the first half. At Arkansas Saturday.

Rick Barnes: "What it got down to, we have a group of guys that put time in the gym."

jbcarol

Three more things from Kentucky basketball's stunning loss at Tennessee

QuoteTennessee is a small team. It doesn't have a player who has played substantial minutes and is over 6-foot-7. Tennessee is also not a good rebounding team. The Vols entered Tuesday night having been outrebounded for the season. It's pre-game rebound margin was negative-two.

And yet, Tennessee outrebounded Kentucky 37-36 at Thompson-Boling Arena. That's surprising enough. Here's the real shocker: Tennessee claimed 41.2 percent of its offensive rebounds.

At least at the start Tuesday night, Thompson-Boling was all but dead. It was a late arriving crowd. And those in their seats were not making much noise as Kentucky rolled to a 34-13 lead with five minutes left in the first half.

"I thought, 'We're ok,'" said Calipari.

They were not.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 13m13 minutes ago

Rick Barnes says he and his team don't change much, even after the losses at Bama and TCU. http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/rick-barnes-praises-his-team-for-its-attitude--2ad0cc2c-6e2d-1c3d-e053-0100007f32d3-367594051.html ...

QuoteIf the Tennessee men's basketball team had been run out of Thompson-Boling Arena on Tuesday night, instead of rallying from a 21-point first-half deficit to upset No. 20 Kentucky 84-77, Rick Barnes said his postgame comments wouldn't have been much different.

"I love these guys," Barnes said. "If we would have walked in here and lost this game, I would have told you the same thing. I've really enjoyed these guys a lot because I don't think they've ever had an attitude of 'We're going to quit.' "

The Vols (11-11, 4-5 SEC) were down 34-13 after 15 minutes against Kentucky, coming off a week in which they blew a 15-point lead with 14 minutes to play at Alabama on Jan. 26 and a 14-point lead at halftime Saturday at TCU.

"There's still a lot of basketball to be played," Barnes said. "Obviously, as a coach, after you lose the way we did, you think, 'What will be the mindset?'

'Scared To Death': While speaking Wednesday to the Big Orange Tipoff Club, Tennessee assistant coach Chris Ogden recounted the halftime speech delivered by Barnes against Kentucky.

"(Barnes) says, 'That coaching staff over there in (the Kentucky) locker room is scared to death,' " Ogden said. "He said, 'They know we can explode on offense.' "

The Vols closed the first half on a 23-8 run to get back within six points at the break, and outscored the Wildcats 48-35 in the second half.

Arkansas hosts Tennessee Saturday

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 9h9 hours ago Arkansas, USA

Final: Arkansas 85, Tennessee 67. Vols (11-12, 4-6 SEC) home to face Bruce Pearl Tuesday night at 7pm on SEC Network. Punter had 24 tonight.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 7h7 hours ago

Vols defended harder in practice Friday than Saturday at Arkansas. Shots didn't fall, either. Up. Down. Up. Down. http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/inconsistent-vols-flat-against-arkansas-2b0da684-a99c-7327-e053-0100007f0f81-367943681.html ...

There's not a player on roster Barnes hasn't been critical of at this point.

Asked Rick Barnes what he can tell Robert Hubbs that he hasn't told him already. "At some point he has to look in the mirror."

Barnes: "We have to better defensively. We have to be on edge with our scouting report. We didn't do either one of those."

Barnes: "I thought we had too many guys making excuses, too, when they came to the bench. That's a sign of immaturity."

Barnes said his team defended itself in practice better (with more energy) than it defended Arkansas tonight.

Barnes: They outplayed us in about every way you can get outplayed.

Barnes said Arkansas has a good inside-outside game. "We're getting better there." Credits Kyle Alexander for his growth.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 10h10 hours ago Knoxville, TN

Final: Tennessee 71, Auburn 45. Vols (12-12, 5-6 SEC) are at Missouri (8-15, 1-9) Saturday at 3 p.m. on @SECNetwork. Mizzou last in SEC.

Barnes on winning by 26 with only 4 from Punter: "(Auburn) is going through some tough times right now. We know that."

Barnes on building on this win Saturday at Mizzou: "It's been like a broken record." Win one big, lose the next.

Hubbs walks in and Barnes starts critiquing Hubbs. "Detrick shouldn't be our second leading scor"er in SEC play. It should be Robert Hubbs

jbcarol

#Vols and Arkansas continuing their battle for which team can look the most different in home games and road games. Yikes.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 13h13 hours ago

Hoops notes from @Strangemike44: Vols still have plenty to play for; Staying cool under pressure http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/message-to-ut-basketball-players-were-not-dead-yet-2b5e4d85-c90f-6a3f-e053-0100007fb4f3-368396381.html ...

QuoteComing home from an 18-point loss at Arkansas, Tennessee's men's basketball staff delivered an unambiguous message in a Sunday team meeting.

"Our message to our team is, we're playing for something,'' assistant coach Chris Ogden said Wednesday. "We're not dead yet.''

Ogden spoke at the Big Orange Tipoff Club meeting the day after the Vols blew out Auburn 71-45 at Thompson-Boling Arena.

At 11-12 overall and 5-6 in the SEC, Tennessee has a chance to get even on the season Saturday (TV: SEC, 3 p.m.) at Missouri.

Missouri (8-15, 1-9) is the first of seven remaining regular-season games, followed by the SEC tournament.

The Vols haven't won consecutive games since late December — and have won only one road game all season.

Coach Rick Barnes sensed in the wire-to-wire loss at Arkansas that the Vols needed a reminder that merely playing out the string will not bring desirable results.

"There are a lot of teams coming into February that aren't really playing for anything,'' Ogden said. "They're almost ready to pack it in..."

Something has to give at Mizzou.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 17m17 minutes ago Illinois, USA

Mizzou 55, Vols 46 (8:44). Looks like Barnes is just running in as many bodies as possible to see what sticks.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 4m4 minutes ago Illinois, USA

Final: Mizzou 75, Vols 64. Tennessee (12-13, 5-7 SEC) visits, oh you know, Rupp Arena Thursday to face Kentucky. KP had 21 today, Baulk w/17

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik 31m31 minutes ago

Mizzou snaps a nine-game losing streak with a 75-64 victory over Tennessee, giving Tigers nine wins on the year to match last year's total

Rick Barnes: "I think the most important thing that went on here today was what Missouri did for Rhyan Loos today."

Barnes said #Mizzou came out knowing it was a game they could probably win, did the things they needed to to make it happen.

Barnes said he had a lot of respect for Kim Anderson, said he walked into a tough situation. "They certainly made the right hire."

Barnes said Tennessee hasn't had enough competitive spirit when it's needed it on the road. Vols are 1-11 away from Knoxville.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey  2h2 hours ago
Rick Barnes went through the box score line by line after Saturday's loss. Compliments were few and far between. http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/lack-of-consistency-is-hampering-vols-2bbd09e5-9815-6df8-e053-0100007f12ed-368783331.html ...

QuoteDescribing yet another loss where too much was relied on from too few, coach Rick Barnes resorted to going down the box score after Tennessee's 75-64 loss to Missouri on Saturday at Mizzou Arena. The compliments were few and far between.

"I think Kyle (Alexander) is doing a lot for us," Barnes said of his freshman forward. "(Kevin Punter Jr.'s missed) free throws are huge there. Shembari (Phillips) I thought did a good job. Baulk (Devon Baulkman), you look at his line, it looks pretty good other than he only had one rebound."

Vols were out-rebounded 41-26 and missed 10 free throws as Missouri snapped a nine-game losing streak and ran Tennessee's road record to 1-11.

"Ray (Kasongo) played eight minutes, no rebounds," Barnes continued. "Robert Hubbs, a guy that I've said before should be our second leading scorer, plays 19 minutes, has one rebound, has two points, two turnovers. And a big turnover.

"Admiral (Schofield) plays, what, seven minutes? Doesn't do much. Detrick (Mostella), guys we're counting on, eleven minutes, doesn't do much. Derek (Reese) was in there trying to rest Kyle and that's when (Missouri forward Ryan) Rosburg really went to work on us a little bit more in there. When Kyle's in there, we have a better chance in the low post.

"We just need everybody to play," Barnes added. "It goes back, we've simply put too much on certain guys and we need other guys to help us."

Barnes was most disappointed in the lack of hustle stats. Of Tennessee's 26 rebounds, seven came from Alexander and four from Phillips. No other player had more than three.

"That's why you don't take playing hard for granted," Barnes said. "I think playing hard is a talent. Not everybody plays hard. Not everybody can figure out what it is they can do well and can't do well.

"But there are certain things that have to be non-negotiable. That's your effort on the boards, in the zone, coming over (and helping on defense) and doing your job, basically.

"We just aren't consistent with everybody doing that. And we have to have that as a group."

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247  Feb 13
Vols' next three games are against the three teams that came into the day tied for first in the SEC. Today was one they just couldn't lose.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 12m12 minutes ago Tennessee, USA

Barnes on road losses: "It gets down to toughness."

Barnes on playing difficulty of playing at Rupp: "Our guys know. They watch enough Sportscenter that they probably know that."

Barnes said Vols were off on Sunday but will be "the same broken record" when they watch film of Mizzou loss today. Not enough consistency

jbcarol

Emerald Youth ‏@emeraldyouth 18h18 hours ago

Thx for voting for @RickBarnesUT -- we're grateful for your support @Vol_Hoops fans! #Vols

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 14h14 hours ago

Kyle Alexander saw a homeless man in downtown Knoxville. So he bought him a blanket. That's why he "just gets it" http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/kyle-alexander-has-become-a-big-building-block-for-vols-2bd58de0-bb84-6a70-e053-0100007f2049-368992261.html ...

QuoteBarnes was in a rush to get someone to the airport when he saw a homeless woman on the street in downtown Knoxville.

"She was standing there, she was literally crying, freezing," Barnes told the News Sentinel on Tuesday. "She said she was pregnant, needed help. I gave her the money out of my pocket. It wasn't much, I felt guilty."

So guilty that Barnes, the first-year Tennessee men's basketball coach, had to go back. The weather was too cold to ignore what he had seen.

"I literally went back and went around looking for homeless people at that time," Barnes said, "to see if anybody needed help."

Later, when Alexander, Tennessee's 6-foot-9 freshman forward, was shopping downtown with his teammates, the story was still in his head.

"I was walking and I remember thinking to myself, I'm Canadian and I think it's really cold," said Alexander, who is from Milton, Ontario. "This is really bad.

"I saw a man lying on the side of the street with just a backpack. His eyes were open, but he was just shaking."

Alexander knew he had to act as his coach had acted.

"I just put myself in his shoes," Alexander said of the homeless man he passed. "I went in the store and asked the lady there.

"I asked her, if you had to lie outside, what blanket would you get? Which one? And I just went out there and gave it to him."

When the story was retold to Barnes, he wasn't surprised.

"He's a wonderful person," Barnes said. "He's a great person. He just gets it."

jbcarol

UK-UT stats, storylines, TV info

QuoteTENNESSEE AT NO. 14 KENTUCKY

Game time: 7 p.m. Site: Rupp Arena (23,000). Line: UK by 15. Series: UK leads 151-68. Last meeting: Tennessee won 84-77 on Feb. 2, 2016, in Knoxville, Tenn. Watch: ESPN.

Secret to Vols' comeback?: So how exactly did Kentucky blow a 21-point lead with 5:46 to go in the first half of its first meeting with Tennessee barely two weeks ago? Was it the Wildcats taking their foot off the gas or Rick Barnes' team flipping some kind of switch?

"It was both," UK coach John Calipari said. "They played great offense. Rick got them to play the way they have to play to win. He's one of the best coaches in the country. He's one of the few that takes his culture with him to organizations. As they get through two and three and four recruiting classes, Tennessee's going to look around and say, 'This is the best program we've ever had here.'"

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey  25m25 minutes ago
Early gamer from Lexington: Kentucky pulls away from Vols, 80-70 http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/kentucky-pulls-away-for-vols-80-70-2c01467e-aeb3-022b-e053-0100007f23c7-369365911.html ...

Rick Barnes recycling material from Missouri postgame. Need more consistent help outside of KP and Armani. Happy with Kyle and Shembari.

Barnes on Devon Baulkman: "He was back there getting x-ray'd when I came in here ... he's had to deal with that the last couple of years"

Barnes said Kevin Punter is "fighting a little ankle" problem.

Barnes on UK keeping KP off right side of floor: He can go to his left. I don't know why he was so locked in to going right.

Barnes: "We're so interchangeable. The problem is when we lose our seven-footers. (dramatic pause) That was a joke."

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 10h10 hours ago

Barnes: I wish the SEC had more than three home-and-homes. They're hard, but they're great, and they prepare you for postseason play.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey  27m27 minutes ago
Final: Punter-less Tennessee 81, LSU 65. Vols (13-14, 6-8 SEC) at South Carolina Wednesday at 9 p.m. on SEC Network.

Rick Barnes said they didn't know until shootaroud this morning that Kevin Punter would't be available. KP stood and shot, that was it.

Barnes on home wins, road losses: "We could play the what-if game ... we could talk about all the game we could've won, could've lost"

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247  8m8 minutes ago
LSU coach Johnny Jones: Tennessee has beaten a lot of good teams up here this year. We're not the only one.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 22m22 minutes ago

More later, but for now: Rick Barnes says Kevin Punter is day-to-day with a stress fracture in his right foot http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/rick-barnes-kevin-punter-jr-day-to-day-with-stress-fracture-in-right-leg-2c4f0265-a688-7543-e053-010-369673811.html ...

jbcarol

Matt Slovin ‏@MattSlovin 42m42 minutes ago

Rick Barnes opens press conference: "There's a lot of things you deal with as coaches." Says decision to hold presser was the coaches'.

Barnes: "We have some great leaders here in our administration."

Barnes says Tennessee's AD is as good as anywhere he's ever been.

Barnes says "we have to tell you the good side, too. There are great things going on on this campus."

Barnes: "I promise you we're going to be truthful with you."

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey  2m2 minutes ago
Final: South Carolina 84, Tennessee 58

Let's get this postgame tweet out of the way: Vols fall to 13-15, 6-9 SEC. Host Arkansas on Saturday at 7:30pm (on @SECNetwork)

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 8h8 hours ago

There are rappers in this world who couldn't say more words than Rick Barnes said in six minutes tonight. Goodness. He was fired up.

Barnes: I knew Frank (Martin) would have his guys ready to play after the way it went in Knoxville. We needed to be tough and we weren't.

Barnes: I'm not sure South Carolina wouldn't have been better off just practicing instead of playing us today.

Barnes: "We just didn't compete. Hubbs gave up two offensive rebounds to start the game."

Barnes: "I'm just disappointed that a couple of our guys didn't compete, and then they made excuses for it."

Barnes: I'm willing to lose games to set the culture for this program. You're not gonna make excuses. You're not gonna blame your teammates.

Barnes: Some guys on that bench weren't gonna come off that bench in the second half, even if everyone else fouled a lot.

Hickory!

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 5m5 minutes ago

Kevin Punter Jr. update from Rick Barnes: He'll decide when he comes back, but it won't be tomorrow http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/kevin-punter-jr-ruled-out-against-arkansas-2c9f7054-55a9-78e5-e053-0100007fac66-370289791.html ...

Rick Barnes quote out of context, talking about Arkansas: "They're very good at layups"

QuoteSenior point guard Kevin Punter Jr. will miss a third consecutive game Saturday (TV: SEC Network, 7:30 p.m.) when Tennessee (13-15, 6-9 SEC) hosts Arkansas (14-14, 7-8) at Thompson-Boling Arena.

"He's day-to-day," Tennessee coach Rick Barnes said before practice on Friday afternoon. "He's not going to play tomorrow."

Punter earlier this week was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his right foot, after suffering the injury during pregame warm-ups before an 80-70 loss at Kentucky on Feb. 18.

Without Punter, Tennessee beat LSU 81-65 in Knoxville Saturday and lost 84-58 at South Carolina on Wednesday. Punter leads the team in scoring (22.2 points per game) and minutes (34.1 per game).

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey  37m37 minutes ago
Arkansas in red tonight. So I assume that means Tennessee is in its plain old boring home whites.

Robert Hubbs isn't going through pregame with his fellow guards. Didn't practice yesterday afternoon. Had right knee in light brace.

Kevin Punter update: the boot is back (watched practice yesterday sans boot)

jbcarol

Tennessee Basketball ‏@Vol_Hoops  22m22 minutes ago
Today marks the first time UT has started three true freshmen since 2/3/07 at Florida (Chism, R. Smith, Tabb). 317 games have elapsed since.

jbcarol

Final: Arkansas 75, Tennessee 65. Vols (13-16, 6-10) at Vanderbilt on Tuesday (TV: @SECNetwork, 7 p.m.). Senior Day vs. Ole Miss on Saturday

jbcarol

Rick Barnes said this week they haven't established transition offense with Shembari at point guard. Fastbreak points tonight were 21-2 Ark.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on February 27, 2016, 08:24:23 pm
Final: Arkansas 75, Tennessee 65. Vols (13-16, 6-10) at Vanderbilt on Tuesday (TV: @SECNetwork, 7 p.m.). Senior Day vs. Ole Miss on Saturday

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 12h12 hours ago

This is gonna be Arkansas' third win ever in Knoxville. Only other times: 2006, and the 1994 national title team.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey  22h22 hours ago
The scouting report said Arkansas wants to hit 3s. The Vols didn't listen. [Also: updates on Hubbs/Punter] http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/arkansas-hits-nine-3-pointers-to-down-tennessee-75-65-2c907b63-a43a-1275-e053-0100007fbbb4-370396541.html ...

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey Feb 27

On the other end of the spectrum, here's Rick Barnes on Kevin Punter's stress fracture

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 38m38 minutes ago

Rick Barnes says he feels like most kids don't get chance to solidify themselves in programs because outside influences encourage leaving.

Said Shembari Phillips didn't have a very good defensive game Saturday against Arkansas. Discussed freshmen at length.

Barnes says when his players act like they're tired, he reminds them they would be at the halfway point of an NBA season right now.

Barnes said coaching at Vandy isn't much of adjustment with benches under goal. That's where he coaches from during practice.

Barnes on what's been most frustrating this year: I've probably dealt with my own frustrations recently. You look back at what ifs.

Insight from Rick Barnes: "Losing isn't very much fun."

Rick Barnes said message to team on Sunday was things they're doing wrong are things they can still control. What they do, not opponents.

Barnes said Shembari "didn't play very hard" vs Arkansas. Said it's typical of a young guy, but when you have to success gotta keep going

Rick Barnes doing his best Bill Parcells: "We are what we are right now. We have who we have."

Barnes: "I know Armani is going to compete. I would tell the other guys the same thing. He's the one guy I know (is going to do it)."

Barnes said, obviously, this time of year competing shouldn't be an issue. But it is.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 12h12 hours ago

From @Strangemike44: Vols have been on road to nowhere  http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/columnists/mike-strange/mike-strange-vols-have-been-on-road-to-nowhere--2cdbdb0e-c165-4b34-e053-0100007f16ed-370583431.html ...

QuoteCoaches have confessed to a sinking feeling as they stand on the baseline at Vanderbilt's unique Memorial Gym, watching their team run away from them.

By this point Rick Barnes should have a sinking feeling every time he watches his Tennessee team run away from Thompson-Boling Arena.

Once outside the doors of their empowering home court, the Vols are in trouble.

Tennessee will be in Memorial Gym in Nashville on Tuesday night. Barnes will patrol the baseline and, one last time, try to conjure up a road win for the Vols.

In 14 games away from Thompson-Boling, Tennessee has won only once — Jan. 16 at Mississippi State. The Vols are 1-10 in true road games and have lost three others in neutral venues...

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP Mar 1

On Punter, Barnes suggested to him he shut it down undergo surgery. Then walked into gym Monday morning and KP is getting shots up.

Barnes said Punter told him if there's anything he'd do to help his team he'd do it. "It's killing him not being out there."

Barnes on KP: "He was the one that teared up after this game tonight. It's killing him not being able out there able to play."

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 Mar 2

Stubborn Kevin Punter fighting to get back on the floor for #Vols: http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/Kevin-Punter-fighting-to-get-back-on-floor-for-Vols-basketball-44032023 ... via 247Sports

Quoteunter, the SEC's second-leading scorer, battled a stress fracture in his right foot for at least a couple of games before finally leaving the floor and missing Tennessee's past four games, including the Vols' 86-69 loss at in-state rival Vanderbilt on Tuesday night in Memorial Gym.

Barnes sat down with Punter on Sunday and suggested that his senior star shut himself down and get surgery on the his ailing foot, and the point guard reluctantly agreed.

Then Barnes walked into Pratt Pavilion early Monday morning and saw Punter putting up set shots.

"On Sunday, he said to me, 'Coach, can we talk?' And then he said, 'What should I do?'" Barnes said moments after Tuesday's game. "Honestly, I said to him, 'KP, you ought to shut it down and do the surgery and get done with it.' He's probably gonna have to do that eventually, anyway. He said, 'OK.'

"And then I walk in Monday morning early, and the music's blasting in the gym, and I walked in and I'm just shocked. KP's standing in there shooting shots on the (rebounding) gun. I said, 'What are you doing?' He said, 'Coach, I thought about it, and if there's any way possible, anything I can do to help these guys win another game, I've got to do it for 'em.'

"That speaks volumes for him as a person and the kind of kid he is."

Punter, who had never in his life played point guard until Tennessee's roster situation forced him to learn on the fly, quickly became the first player to buy into Barnes and his staff.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 19h19 hours ago

Rick Barnes on being open and honest about his players, today's culture for young athletes and helping Robert Hubbs.

Barnes on Armani/Derek Reese playing for three coaching staffs in four years: "Well, they may decide they don't want to get into coaching"

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey  1h1 hour ago
Final: Ole Miss 83, Tennessee 60. Vols (13-18, 6-12 SEC) await MissState-Auburn outcome to see when/who they play in SEC Tournament.

Barnes: "Andy Kennedy said to me, 'I know it's been really hard on you.' And it has. It's been hard."

Barnes on the biggest lesson he took away from his worst record as a head coach: "Recruit."

Devon Baulkman said when he checked out w/ little over 1:00 left, Barnes told him he loved him."I'm a kid that needs to hear that sometimes"