Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finally able to watch the game, observations.....

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, October 01, 2017, 02:03:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

Offense:

1) Deon Stewart is fast. Gets separation and running to space.
2) Receivers aren't as erratic in their routes. Concentrating on the ball.
3) O'Grady will be a matchup problem for a lot of teams.
4) Hayden may very well be the best small back in the country.

Defense:

1) Agim played with more anger and intensity.
2) Santos took a bit to get warmed up.
This is my non-signature signature.

SemperFi

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 01, 2017, 02:03:26 am
Offense:

1) Deon Stewart is fast. Gets separation and running to space.
2) Receivers aren't as erratic in their routes. Concentrating on the ball.
3) O'Grady will be a matchup problem for a lot of teams.
4) Hayden may very well be the best small back in the country.

Defense:

1) Agim played with more anger and intensity.
2) Santos took a bit to get warmed up.

My additions to your observations.

Offense:

5) Nance is an exceptional Receiver. Maybe not All SEC, but a very good option for AA.
6) AA showed some leadership on the field and threw the ball accurately with the exception of the interception which was on him. He underthrew the ball and was late with his throw.
7) The OL can runblock but still has issues with pass protection that better DL's will expose.
8.) David Williams along with Whaley are battering rams that can take it the distance as long as we're not inside the opponents 5 yd line.

Defense:

3) Lack of a pass rush and break downs in coverage allowed NMS to move the ball and put up 24 points that they shouldn't have been able to score.

Enos needs to find a way to implement shorter routes to allow AA to get rid of the ball much quicker to offset the OL's inability to pass protect. Against the better defensive lines (Bama, Auburn) if AA holds the ball longer than 3 seconds they'll be carting him off the field. Slow developing plays will get the OL blown up, AA injured and risk our ability to finish the season with any SEC wins.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

IronHog

Quote from: SemperFi on October 01, 2017, 08:56:45 am
My additions to your observations.

Offense:

5) Nance is an exceptional Receiver. Maybe not All SEC, but a very good option for AA.
6) AA showed some leadership on the field and threw the ball accurately with the exception of the interception which was on him. He underthrew the ball and was late with his throw.
7) The OL can runblock but still has issues with pass protection that better DL's will expose.
8.) David Williams along with Whaley are battering rams that can take it the distance as long as we're not inside the opponents 5 yd line.

Defense:

3) Lack of a pass rush and break downs in coverage allowed NMS to move the ball and put up 24 points that they shouldn't have been able to score.

Enos needs to find a way to implement shorter routes to allow AA to get rid of the ball much quicker to offset the OL's inability to pass protect. Against the better defensive lines (Bama, Auburn) if AA holds the ball longer than 3 seconds they'll be carting him off the field. Slow developing plays will get the OL blown up, AA injured and risk our ability to finish the season with any SEC wins.

That's a good point on the faster routes.

There are ways to play around a bad OL......they take 5-7 drops from under center though.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Großer Kriegschwein

Austin pumped the ball on the interception. Had he thrown instead of pump, it would have been a completion.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 01, 2017, 09:03:41 am
Austin pumped the ball on the interception. Had he thrown instead of pump, it would have been a completion.
Excellent observation.  Being a Fayetteville guy, I've seen Austin since he was a 9th grader. The hesitation or "clutch" is something that has always been there. He has worked very hard and it has greatly improved over the years, but when it comes back, the DBs get that extra step and it's costly. When he just lets it fly, he's as good as anyone.  Also, he did a better job of stepping up into the pocket yesterday. Unless it a designed rollout, he should never take a sack 7yds deep.  Move forward, not laterally in the pocket.  The OL is coached to run their man past the QB on the edge and laterally or stalemate inside. Austin delivered a lot of great throws moving forward yesterday. They're all improving on that side of the ball.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

SemperFi

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 01, 2017, 09:03:41 am

That is his problem. He thinks too much when he should just let the ball go. The Receiver was open and because he hesitated it cost us a scoring opportunity.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on October 01, 2017, 09:11:34 am
Excellent observation.  Being a Fayetteville guy, I've seen Austin since he was a 9th grader. The hesitation or "clutch" is something that has always been there. He has worked very hard and it has greatly improved over the years, but when it comes back, the DBs get that extra step and it's costly. When he just lets it fly, he's as good as anyone.  Also, he did a better job of stepping up into the pocket yesterday. Unless it a designed rollout, he should never take a sack 7yds deep.  Move forward, not laterally in the pocket.  The OL is coached to run their man past the QB on the edge and laterally or stalemate inside. Austin delivered a lot of great throws moving forward yesterday. They're all improving on that side of the ball.

Pumping the ball isn't always a bad thing, but if your eyes are on the receiver you pump the ball to, and still throw it to him, not much good will happen.

One of the things we do pretty well is learn on the job.  Good thing because a huge percentage of what we know is learned in the games.  We are mostly blank screens, not even lighted up coming into the season.  If we can keep up a decent learning curve, we might take advantage of the weak conference and win a couple we normally wouldn't.