Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Les Miles to Replace Bielema.........

Started by moses_007, October 09, 2017, 01:05:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Roaringboar

Quote from: Hogwild on October 09, 2017, 06:49:56 pm
It's happening

sources:

"The journey of a thousand Miles cannot begin unLes you take the first steps......."
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

hawgbawb

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 01:11:21 pm
Yes they are good buddies, and I think that's why he will get the job.  Plus, he's available right now, and we won't have to pay any buyout to get him.

The other good possibility is Mark Richt, lots of SEC experience and a very good record at Georgia.  I don't know if we could lure him away from Miami or not.  He seems really happy there.
Richt and Miles are two coaches who held positions in ultra-rich recruiting locations, and had top notch bluechip classes. They just didn't really know what to do with them.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

The Kig

Quote from: HF#1 on October 09, 2017, 01:09:17 pm
Les will no doubt be on the short list. He and Jeff are buddies. He even consulted Les before finally hiring Bielema if you remember.

Short bus... Short list.  Les is a good man, but benefited GREATLY from the talent at his disposal at LSU.  Didn't think it was possible for LSU to downgrade but Coach Waterboy has proven me wrong. 
Poker Porker

The Kig

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2017, 02:56:28 pm
Why don't you guys just come out and say it, if you are going to watch football every year it might as well be entertaining.

FIFY at least from my perspective.  Other than painfully boring run, run, run, punt... I don't care what scheme we employ.  Score some points, stop the bad guys from scoring.  Swing too far in either direction and become one dimensional and you are at risk against a good defense.
Poker Porker

Hog N Bama

moses_007

Bebop

If it is Les, then Long must hate being at Arkansas.

Boarsnest

Just what we need! A coach with top recruiting classes that Nutt, Bobby and Bret beat with way less talent. All you guys that want Les post his record against Bret and explain why I should get excited about Les as our coach.

Lost his LSU job because:

1. Couldn't beat Saban with the talent he had plus Nick was cherry picking
     talent in Les's backyard.

2.  Les didn't open up his offense after AD met with him, Les promised fan base           
     and AD he would make changes. Les never developed a QB during
     his tenure.

3.  Of all things wait for it!!! his record against Ar Kansas!!!

GrouchyOldGuy

GrouchyOldGuy

Roaringboar

Quote from: Boarsnest on October 09, 2017, 07:43:38 pm
Just what we need! A coach with top recruiting classes that Nutt, Bobby and Bret beat with way less talent. All you guys that want Les post his record against Bret and explain why I should get excited about Les as our coach.

Lost his LSU job because:

1. Couldn't beat Saban with the talent he had plus Nick was cherry picking
     talent in Les's backyard.

2.  Les didn't open up his offense after AD met with him, Les promised fan base           
     and AD he would make changes. Les never developed a QB during
     his tenure.

3.  Of all things wait for it!!! his record against Ar Kansas!!!

Okay, I'm going to say it, here's how stupid this logic is.......Sure, Les lost a few times to Arkansas when LSU without a doubt had supperior talent, but he still had a winning record, and he still ended those seasons they lost to us with a minimum of 8 games.......Now what ticks me off about you guys who say, "Oh he had supperior talent," Let me explain this simple fact, if a team's final standing was a direct correlation to the ranking of the class every season, then Nick Saban should've won every single National Title since 2009, and he should've won every single bowl game he played in because he's got the best talent in the nation......Now granted he has won four titles, that's not how many he should've won based on the talent he's had, and those years he lost to Ole Miss and Texas A&M when he had a far supperior football team......I guess that just makes him a bad coach right.......WRONG!!!!! If coaches won every single game they were supposed to based on the ranking of their recruiting class, we wouldn't have upsets.......USC and Oklahoma had two of the best classes in the country last season, and Oklahoma's classes go back farther than that.......sure as heck didn't stop Iowa State from stomping them Saturday or Texas beating them last year.......this talent B.S. is just that......Miles was a top tier coach who finsihed in the top 20 nearly every single season, and won 10 games almost every single season........just because he didn't win a Natty every year doesn't mean he's a bad coach.....especially when the rest of the sports world credits him as one of the SEC's most elite coaches........it just shows how ignorant Arkansas fans can be at time........hence the situation we're in now......

David†

Quote from: hogsanity on October 09, 2017, 03:41:47 pm
Show me a team that is winning any of the divisions on the p5 leagues with inferior talent simply by out scheming people.

So you're saying we are doomed to fail no matter who the coach is and we might as well accept it?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Hogtimes

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 01:15:55 pm
Stranger things have happened.  Throw the right money at him, and who knows? 

Richt is not the type person that will chase the money.   He will retire at Miami.

moses_007

RedRock

No thanks to another retread.  Time for young hungry coach.

Torqued pork

Even with LSU's talent advantage I always had hope we could beat them with Miles on the sideline and it was often well-founded.

Boarsnest

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 09, 2017, 07:53:58 pm
Okay, I'm going to say it, here's how stupid this logic is.......Sure, Les lost a few times to Arkansas when LSU without a doubt had supperior talent, but he still had a winning record, and he still ended those seasons they lost to us with a minimum of 8 games.......Now what ticks me off about you guys who say, "Oh he had supperior talent," Let me explain this simple fact, if a team's final standing was a direct correlation to the ranking of the class every season, then Nick Saban should've won every single National Title since 2009, and he should've won every single bowl game he played in because he's got the best talent in the nation......Now granted he has won four titles, that's not how many he should've won based on the talent he's had, and those years he lost to Ole Miss and Texas A&M when he had a far supperior football team......I guess that just makes him a bad coach right.......WRONG!!!!! If coaches won every single game they were supposed to based on the ranking of their recruiting class, we wouldn't have upsets.......USC and Oklahoma had two of the best classes in the country last season, and Oklahoma's classes go back farther than that.......sure as heck didn't stop Iowa State from stomping them Saturday or Texas beating them last year.......this talent B.S. is just that......Miles was a top tier coach who finsihed in the top 20 nearly every single season, and won 10 games almost every single season........just because he didn't win a Natty every year doesn't mean he's a bad coach.....especially when the rest of the sports world credits him as one of the SEC's most elite coaches........it just shows how ignorant Arkansas fans can be at time........hence the situation we're in now......

Your boy Les lost more than one or two to Arkansas! Lol! A little different than Saban losing a game to a ranked team. Les is not a bad coach by any means, I never said he was a bad coach. Les had the top talent at a rich tradition school that recruits itself, Louisianna is a hot bed for talent. Arkansas is not LSU and never will have the recruiting base. The style offense that Les likes to run requires athletes that others have been unable to recruit to Arkansas. We are in the middle of that experiment right now and it has not worked. I just don't see Les being able to recruit to Arkansas. He is what 63 or 64 years old and a millionaire how much desire and drive does he have to go out and recruit 17 and 18 year old kids to come to Arkansas. I just don't see the fit for us or Les!

Les was to bull headed to change his offense at LSU nothing leads me to believe he would change here if he couldn't recruit his style of players.

By the way this is a message board everyone doesn't share your enthusiasm and man crush for Les Miles. You attitude sucks!!! I'm not sure what your agenda is.  You call other fans stupid because they don't share your views, or enthusiasm for Les maybe you should look in the mirror!!!

Oklahawg

Miles was not five years ago, and is not, off the table for UA. Very much a viable option, especially as a "plan b" should every other "hot seat" coach in the conference gets canned and the most coveted replacements get gobbled up by others.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ToddW

It really should be a young up and comer.  Whoever comes in, if the come in will have to rebuild.  Recruiting and talent development needs to be the priority. 
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Boarsnest on October 09, 2017, 09:29:55 pm
Your boy Les lost more than one or two to Arkansas! Lol! A little different than Saban losing a game to a ranked team. Les is not a bad coach by any means, I never said he was a bad coach. Les had the top talent at a rich tradition school that recruits itself, Louisianna is a hot bed for talent. Arkansas is not LSU and never will have the recruiting base. The style offense that Les likes to run requires athletes that others have been unable to recruit to Arkansas. We are in the middle of that experiment right now and it has not worked. I just don't see Les being able to recruit to Arkansas. He is what 63 or 64 years old and a millionaire how much desire and drive does he have to go out and recruit 17 and 18 year old kids to come to Arkansas. I just don't see the fit for us or Les!

Les was to bull headed to change his offense at LSU nothing leads me to believe he would change here if he couldn't recruit his style of players.

By the way this is a message board everyone doesn't share your enthusiasm and man crush for Les Miles. You attitude sucks!!! I'm not sure what your agenda is.  You call other fans stupid because they don't share your views, or enthusiasm for Les maybe you should look in the mirror!!!
Best post in the thread.

hogblitz

I believe that if Miles coaches in the SEC again it will be at Ole Miss.  With all the NCAA issue, they will have a heck of a time hiring a coach.  Les is 64 years old and would love to coach anywhere in the SEC again.  I am guessing his coaching career has maybe 4 or 5 years left.  He could go to Ole Miss and make an SEC salary and have no pressure for probably 3 years.  It would be a great situation to send him into retirement.  JMO. 

moses_007

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 09, 2017, 09:48:40 pm
Miles was not five years ago, and is not, off the table for UA. Very much a viable option, especially as a "plan b" should every other "hot seat" coach in the conference gets canned and the most coveted replacements get gobbled up by others.
I think he's No.1 on the replacement list in Jeff Long's mind.

jvanhorn

Quote from: RT1941 on October 09, 2017, 03:09:43 pm
What does a man's Christianity have to do with fielding a successful college football team? 

Not a damn thing.  Evidently not a damn thing to do with electing Presidents anymore either, lol.

Coondog Hog

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Pork Twain

I am not calling those asking for Miles or Richt complete morons, but I bet the shoe is close to the right size.  Both coaches pushed out of places with far more talent than we can ever dream of having and you think they are going to come here and do more with less?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

SmokinHog

LSU won in spite of Miles.... that man had more talent to work with at LSU than anything he will ever come close to putting on the field here.

Absolutely awful hire

1highhog

Quote from: moses_007 on October 09, 2017, 01:05:53 pm
I believe it's already a done deal, as soon as Jeff Long decides to give Bielema his walking papers.

I realize many on here don't like Miles, but look at the man's record at LSU.  114-34 in 12 seasons, no season less than 8 wins, one national championship.  Remember, Les went up and met with Jeff Long before Bielema was hired... and everyone blew it off as just a friendly visit.  I believe Les wanted the Arkansas job then, and he'd for certain take it now.

Jeff Long wants a coach that has winning experience in the SEC.  No other coach but Les Miles fits that criteria.

Hiring Les Miles would be a bigger mistake than Bielema and that's hard to imagine.  With one of the most talent rich States in the whole nation and most every young boys dream of becoming a bayou Bengal Miles still way under performed while at LSU, even losing to Bielema who had far less talent on every team he had but still that almost everyone on Hogville is wanting to get rid of now!  I'd rather get Jeff Brohm, and even then I'm not sure that would be a great hire, but it'd be better than Miles.

1highhog

If Saban had stayed at LSU, he would have won a title almost every year, IMO if the right coach ever got the job there Saban would retire immediately, because the balance of power would shift that quick. 

hawgbawb

Quote from: ToddW on October 09, 2017, 09:49:11 pm
It really should be a young up and comer.  Whoever comes in, if the come in will have to rebuild.  Recruiting and talent development needs to be the priority. 
Agree.  The Frank Broyles type. he was a youngster when we hired him.  Young up and comers are harder to find, but that is our best shot at getting a SEC championship caliber coach.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

leroyhawg

Fine by me, will have to adapt to fescue maybe a little Johnson grass!
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

leroyhawg

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on October 09, 2017, 01:11:16 pm
Funny that people on hogville say heck no to a coach that was 114-34.

I always liked Les....
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

Ex-Trumpet

Hopefully the powers that be will step in before lunacy takes over.  We just think the fan base is divided now...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Piggfoot

Arkansas' fan base is divided and always will be. People didn't like Holtz, said he couldn't recruit. They didn't like Hatfield. Too much religion with a boring offense. Nutt, well you know. Petrino, some wanted him gone, some wanted him to stay. There are too many with unrealistic expectations stirring the pot.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hoghearted

Dear heavens, that seems to me to be a disaster waiting to happen
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Hogwild

Quote from: hawgbawb on October 09, 2017, 07:06:25 pm
Richt and Miles are two coaches who held positions in ultra-rich recruiting locations, and had top notch bluechip classes. They just didn't really know what to do with them.

Miles & Richt went 259-91, 13 times they had teams finish in the top 10, I think they knew what to do with them.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 10, 2017, 07:22:44 am
Arkansas' fan base is divided and always will be. People didn't like Holtz, said he couldn't recruit. They didn't like Hatfield. Too much religion with a boring offense. Nutt, well you know. Petrino, some wanted him gone, some wanted him to stay. There are too many with unrealistic expectations stirring the pot.

I don't disagree with you, but I believe the fanbase just disagreed for the most part back then, certainly under Holtz and Hatfield.  The division since Nutt has been getting worse.  JL hiring Les Miles would make it even worse, I'm afraid.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Wild Boarnado

I like Les, but the thing that concerns me about him is the same thing that concerns me about CBB - they both are stubborn and will not adapt to the changing landscape of college football. Notice how Saban has adapted over the years - I don't think Les has that in him. And with all that talent he had a LSU, why - why could he never find a QB to successfully run his offense? That never made sense to me.
"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Ex-Trumpet

Les is a Meeshigan guy.  When Harbaugh gets fired next year Les will be campaigning for that job.  I wish him well!

TigerHog93

I can guarantee you, that if Arkansas hires Les, he will 100% out-recruit Orgeron in Louisiana. People saying other wise are ridiculous. He may not bring quick success  but over the course of his career he  would bring 9 wins a year

hogsanity

Quote from: David† on October 09, 2017, 08:03:15 pm
So you're saying we are doomed to fail no matter who the coach is and we might as well accept it?

If the goal is to win the conference and make a ny6 bowl or the playoff then pretty much yes. Arkansas will continue to do what it has done since joining the sec, plod along just above or below 6-6, then rise up for a year or two with a really good season, then back down around 6-6.

Now, if the goal is to consistently be a 8-9 win team, then just the right coach MIGHT be able to get to that level AND sustain it. But he is going to do it by finding a way to get better players and then using schemes to win games where they have equal or just slightly lesser talent.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Roaringboar

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 10, 2017, 08:03:54 am
Les is a Meeshigan guy.  When Harbaugh gets fired next year Les will be campaigning for that job.  I wish him well!

Harbaugh won't get fired.....not yet.....he's still winning 9 games a season in what is currently one of the toughest divisions in college football......fans haven't turned on him yet....they may be angry, but they're not that angry yet......Penn State and Ohio State are just scary programs......What will happen is Harbaugh will go out and find a new OC, they have a really talented D year after year, but that offense just can't get it togethor......