Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One of the 2 or 3 best days of the year is approaching! Opening Day!!!

Started by k.c.hawg, April 01, 2015, 11:19:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

k.c.hawg

The opening weekend of the college football season is always full of anticipation. For two weeks you are going to see some of the best non con action of the year. I get butterflies waiting to see our latest edition of Razorback football. Though I love college basketball, the opening of the season never gets me too fired up because much better things are coming through the holidays and into conference season. The home opener at Arrowhead is always planned out for days with 6 hours of tailgating before the game and a couple hours after the game. The game itself always makes me very nervous to see if the off season moves give the appearance of an ascending team or a descending team.

To me, none of it matches Opening Day in MLB. The Royals have been bad for 18 of the 23 years I've lived here, but it has never dampened my enthusiasm for opening day. You wake up early and the city has a Buzz going. Early in the morning I find myself on the computer looking at historical pictures of old great baseball parks, packed with baseball fans and think about how our grandfathers and great grandfathers were going to the ballparks and enjoying the same game we still love today. It is not only the start of the 162 game season, it always signals the changing of the seasons to me. Beautiful spring followed by a hot, fun summer. Twelve years ago I had an accident and my lower right leg got crushed and I had this big external fixator on my leg not allowing me to do opening day. I was really bummed out but ultimately put on some gear,opened all the windows in the sun room, iced me down some beers, got out the peanuts, turned the radio on, stuck my nose in the air trying to smell some fresh cut grass in the neighborhood and eagerly awaited that first pitch. It wasn't being at the ballpark but it was damn close.

With last year producing the most improbable World Series run, and getting to attend playoff games and World Series games, I have the exact same feeling about Opening Day as I do when we are projected to lose 95 games. I guess that might be weird to some but my teams prospects have just never really mattered. It's Opening Day, everyone has hope!!! Looks like we'll get warmed up on Sunday night with the Cards at the Cubs (Wainwright vs Lester). On Monday, the White Sox will be in town for a 3 pm first pitch. Cannot wait to smell the grass, smell the ballpark food, sit down with a nice cold beer and give thanks for one of the truly great days in America. Hoping the weather cooperates and we can get in Opening Day and then head to a sports bar and catch the National Championship game.

Happy Opening Day to all the MLB fans out there and good luck to your teams. Play ball!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.