Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aroldis Chapman Injury

Started by jrulz83, March 20, 2014, 11:52:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jrulz83

Took a line drive to the face:

Chapman is expected to make a full recovery at this point, but he suffered broken facial bones and is not expected to pitch again for at least 6-8 weeks. Could and should something be done to prevent more injuries like this?

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

ucahogfan

About the only thing that could be done to completely prevent this would be to have pitchers throw behind a L-Screen like they do in batting practice.  These are freak accidents that can end a pitcher's career which really sucks, but they assume some form of risk playing baseball.

There was a cap made to help provide cushioning on impact, but pitchers did not like how it felt when they tried it on and wouldn't wear it during the game.

I really hope Chapman makes a full recovery because it is fun watching him light up the radar gun.

jrulz83

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 20, 2014, 12:17:38 pm
About the only thing that could be done to completely prevent this would be to have pitchers throw behind a L-Screen like they do in batting practice.  These are freak accidents that can end a pitcher's career which really sucks, but they assume some form of risk playing baseball.

There was a cap made to help provide cushioning on impact, but pitchers did not like how it felt when they tried it on and wouldn't wear it during the game.

I really hope Chapman makes a full recovery because it is fun watching him light up the radar gun.

The padded hat retained too much heat if I recall correctly. Even if he had been wearing the padding it wouldn't have helped because of where he got hit. I'm just afraid that the media is going to scream and yell and force something that is going to change the game. Something like pitchers wearing a football helmet is what I expect to happen.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

kingofdequeen

can't protect everyone, all the time.  the poster a couple of posts up said it best - you assume some risk when you agree to pitch.

Cotton

To begin, I have two friends that have been hit while pitching. One lost a majority of his vision in one eye... He still plays the game.

That being said, these are freak accidents. Of the millions of pitches thrown, this happens so few times the odds are in your favor. I don't think anything should be done about this, it is an assumed risk but not a big risk.

That being said, the way the world is these days, somebody will try to change it. My buddy wears clear protective glasses that are shatter-proof to protect his eyes. I could see some guys wearing face shields like we often see in basketball after broken bones.

Pitching is hard enough as it is, can you imagine trying to pitch/see with a catchers mask on your face?

PS an L-screen would never work.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ATU HOG

Quote from: Cotton on April 02, 2014, 06:23:48 am
To begin, I have two friends that have been hit while pitching. One lost a majority of his vision in one eye... He still plays the game.

That being said, these are freak accidents. Of the millions of pitches thrown, this happens so few times the odds are in your favor. I don't think anything should be done about this, it is an assumed risk but not a big risk.

That being said, the way the world is these days, somebody will try to change it. My buddy wears clear protective glasses that are shatter-proof to protect his eyes. I could see some guys wearing face shields like we often see in basketball after broken bones.

Pitching is hard enough as it is, can you imagine trying to pitch/see with a catchers mask on your face?

PS an L-screen would never work.
Just curious, where did yall play at? What city?  In my career we hit 2 pitchers in the head, I hit one from Kentucky (don't remember the city) and the other my teammate hit played on Searcy's legion team

Cotton

Quote from: ATU HOG on April 02, 2014, 08:22:45 am
Just curious, where did yall play at? What city?  In my career we hit 2 pitchers in the head, I hit one from Kentucky (don't remember the city) and the other my teammate hit played on Searcy's legion team
My buddy was playing in Missouri and the other guy I knew is from out west.

I heard about a Searcy kid that got hit twice though. Lightening does strike twice I guess
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX