Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do Bowl records really mean anything about a conference

Started by hogsanity, January 02, 2018, 09:29:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

Quote from: IronHog on January 02, 2018, 01:12:17 pm

No, it doesn't matter beyond bragging rights.

One game matchups a month after the season aren't indicative of anything really outside the playoff..... and the NC doesn't mean much because Bama gets do overs.
all the games in the season are steps that determine what level of bowl game you will get, then you turn around and say the bowl game doesn't matter?

If bowl games don't matter, why did CBB get fired for not reaching one?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

IronHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 02, 2018, 01:26:44 pm
all the games in the season are steps that determine what level of bowl game you will get, then you turn around and say the bowl game doesn't matter?

If bowl games don't matter, why did CBB get fired for not reaching one?

UCF bearding Auburn is great sports......doesn't mean they would have done much against a SEC slate across a season
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

PorkSoda

Quote from: IronHog on January 02, 2018, 01:45:49 pm

UCF bearding Auburn is great sports......doesn't mean they would have done much against a SEC slate across a season
It means the AAC Champion beat the SEC Runner Up.

It means we lucked out by not getting gus

and that Nebraska is getting a heck of a coach.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 02, 2018, 01:47:59 pm

This I will agree with, Had a team capable of eating Ga and Bama, yet still lost 4 games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GoHogs1091

It means the AAC Champion beat the SEC Runner Up.

and that Nebraska is getting a heck of a coach.

No doubt.

Scott Frost is the best new HC hire this go-around of HC hires.

racinghog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 02, 2018, 02:00:13 pm
No doubt.

And it is not even close.

jvanhorn

Well since more and more top draft picks are sitting out games, which will only get worse since loyalty always sucks hind tit to money then, if you aren't one of the top four playing for a national championship other than just getting more practice time, these games will more and more have about as much meaning as NFL and MLB exhibition games.

IronHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 02, 2018, 02:00:13 pm
No doubt.

Nebraska moving to Florida and relaxing admission standards?

redeye

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 09:29:18 am
Every year we hear that this conference proved they were really good or were down or whatever based on the conf bowl record. I say they really do not mean anything because the match ups are often not apples to apples. Often the 2nd or 3rd best team from league A may draw the 7th or 8th team from league b.

I've been making this point for around a decade now.  SEC teams are regularly pitted against higher teams in other conferences.  When you consider that a SEC team plays in the national title game every year, it makes sense.

I still think bowl records matter some, but they do deserve much scrutiny.  I'm sure many non-SEC fans are now saying that Alabama and Georgia are the only good SEC teams, but I disagree.  Using Auburn as an example, they lost to UCF, but still beat Alabama and Georgia this season.  If there were no SECCG, then Auburn probably would have been in the playoffs.  The SEC is down a little, imo, but these things meme's are usually exaggerated.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2018, 02:15:26 pm

Nebraska moving to Florida and relaxing admission standards?
Ha.  Yes.  We are going to find out how great Frost really is.  As we do with all up and comers.

PorkSoda

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 03, 2018, 01:51:16 pm
Well since more and more top draft picks are sitting out games, which will only get worse since loyalty always sucks hind tit to money then, if you aren't one of the top four playing for a national championship other than just getting more practice time, these games will more and more have about as much meaning as NFL and MLB exhibition games.
5 or so players sitting out is not going to affect bowl season.

most of those guys have 5 star back ups who are more than capable of filling the role.

Lao Tsuie

I'm reading the thread and the question is a very good one.  Ga. and Bama in the NC game .  The SEC has very good teams and they have mastered the system and play whatever rules come down like a winning jockey.

TexasRazorback

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 09:29:18 am
Every year we hear that this conference proved they were really good or were down or whatever based on the conf bowl record. I say they really do not mean anything because the match ups are often not apples to apples. Often the 2nd or 3rd best team from league A may draw the 7th or 8th team from league b.

Does it really make a comment about the SEC that Mizzu lost to Texas? Mizzu got bowl eligible by beating NO TEAM with a winning record. Does it really mean the big10 is great because Iowa beat BC? Was the pac12 really a bad conference because a ranked BSU beat Oregon, or that #15 TCU beat #13 Stanford or that ASU, who fired their coach, lost to a ranked NCSt team, or that UCLA lost when their QB made a business decision and decided not to play.

First Rosen wanted to Play, docs wouldnt clear him. But too your point of the thread, win and you are happy lose and everyone looks to point the finger

HoggyCat

Not when the SEC #5 plays the USA #2 or however they actually play out now.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

LRRandy

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 03, 2018, 04:41:46 pm
so you are saying that the sec and conference USA are equal and it puts the lower tier sec team at a disadvantage to play a higher tier team from that conference?  I think you're right.
This is fun, isn't it.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HoggyCat on January 03, 2018, 04:41:46 pm
so only games leading up to the bowl game matter, because they decide how good of a bowl game you get.  but the actual bowl game doesn't matter?

IronHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 03, 2018, 03:20:05 pm
Ha.  Yes.  We are going to find out how great Frost really is.  As we do with all up and comers.

Neb threw a hissy fit at Texas just like JFB and now like Arkansas is a square peg in a round hole.

IronHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 03, 2018, 04:47:56 pm
so only games leading up to the bowl game matter, because they decide how good of a bowl game you get.  but the actual bowl game doesn't matter?

Nobody said that

But the Big 10 going 7-1 in bowls means nothing really except they went 7-1

Bama and Ga playing for the NC doesn't mean much except Auburn *****

PonderinHog

Quote from: IronHog on January 03, 2018, 05:37:01 pm

Nobody said that

But the Big 10 going 7-1 in bowls means nothing really except they went 7-1

Bama and Ga playing for the NC doesn't mean much except Auburn *****
Which confirms the home field advantage exists.

jm

It does prove that there is not much talent difference between teams and conferences overall. With as much coaching turnover as there is, you can't evaluate conference strength because so many teams are in the middle of a change.

hawkhawg

Expand the playoffs to eight teams, and make bowl games exhibition games, that do not count on your record, high draft picks are expected to sit, and redshirts are eligible.

urkillnmesmalls

It's beginning to mean less and less as more and more players are deciding not to play to protect against injury hurting their NFL draft status.  Unless teams are in the playoff, now that the practice is starting to be more common and seemingly acceptable, I bet we will see a LOT of players sitting out as we move forward. 

I can't say that I blame them.  But...could you imagine us having another great season like 2010, and then Knile Davis and Mallet deciding they don't want to play in the bowl game?  It hasn't impacted us yet...other than players not giving it 100%, but that would stink as a fan to be a part of something that important, and your best players sitting out. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hawkhawg on January 03, 2018, 07:51:30 pm
Expand the playoffs to eight teams, and make bowl games exhibition games, that do not count on your record, high draft picks are expected to sit, and redshirts are eligible.
Or do like the NIT and CIT.

Have the top 8 in a playoff.

then have 2 or 3 more 8 team invitational tournaments.

but honestly I like the bowl system.  it works good because all the bowls are independent with their own sponsor.  would be hard to get a single sponsor for each tournament.

PharmacistHog

Do what?  Just a month ago many were telling us how Gus was elite and pulled even with Saban.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 03, 2018, 08:24:49 pm
Do what?  Just a month ago many were telling us how Gus was elite and pulled even with Saban.
oh I was on the gus bus, but I have since been converted.

I love that we snookered 7m x 7y out of auburn to keep him and he promptly loses the next 2 games.

I would have been happy to get gus, but since learning more about morris, I think he is the right coach for us. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 03, 2018, 08:33:47 pm
oh I was on the gus bus, but I have since been converted.

I love that we snookered 7m x 7y out of auburn to keep him and he promptly loses the next 2 games.

I would have been happy to get gus, but since learning more about morris, I think he is the right coach for us. 

Yeah but when I kept reading those guys thinking he had caught up to saban, I would just shake my head.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PharmacistHog on January 03, 2018, 08:37:12 pm
Yeah but when I kept reading those guys thinking he had caught up to saban, I would just shake my head.
he is one of the few that have pulled off a win over saban.  that's worth something.  but he's got to win a few more championships to "catch up" with saban.

HoopS

Not really.

If they're in games such as the playoffs, I think it says more.

Most other bowls just depend on matchups and motivation.

901king

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 09:48:00 am
But it is not really head to head. SC beat Mich, does that mean the SEC is better than the big10? But wait, NW beat KY, maybe that makes them equal? Texas beat a really bad Mizzu team that only got to a bowl at all because of a lucky break with the schedule, does that mean the Big12 is better than the sec? Does GA beating OU mean the sec is better than the big12?

That is my point, the conferences bowl records are not made against 1 other league. If it were sec1 vs big10 1 all the way down to sec12 vs bg10 12, then sure you could make an argument then that the conf that came out with the best record is better. 

Like I said, the pac12 had an abysmal bowl season, but did it really mean the acc was better because NCST beat a ASU team with a interim coach, or that UCLA lost to KSU?

I think bowl games do matter.  The contacts for these games typically have similar rated teams pitted against each other.  I don't ever recall the 9th rated SEC team  playing the 2nd rated Big 10 team.   
My hometown bowl, The Liberty Bowl, is contractually obligated to take a Big 12 vs SEC team.  These teams are typically anywhere from 7-5 to 9-3. 

That being said, the SEC record in this bowl season is indicative of how top heavy and OVERRATED the league is.  Keep in mind, the only reason Memphis played Iowa State in the Liberty Bowl is because there were not enough bowl eligible SEC teams available.  Otherwise, Memphis would have been playing in the Miami Bowl, WD-40/Rubber Glove Bowl, or some other non-sense bowl game.

I've never understood the whole S-E-C, S-E-C, chant or how fans of Arkansas, UT, Ole Miss would actually root for a Bama, LSU, Georgia, or an Auburn team playing in the National Championship vs a Big10 or Pac12 team.

As a Memphis fan, Louisville and UConn won National Titles in basketball a few years ago in back to back years.  I never once rooted for either of those teams to win the title.  I was pissed because we beat Louisville twice the year they won, and the year UConn won, they accounted for 3 of our 7 losses.   I rooted for the Cardinal players to catch a flaming case of the clap prior to the Final Four and for Pitino's head to burst into flames.  Who knew it was so very close to happening at the time?