Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do Bowl records really mean anything about a conference

Started by hogsanity, January 02, 2018, 09:29:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Every year we hear that this conference proved they were really good or were down or whatever based on the conf bowl record. I say they really do not mean anything because the match ups are often not apples to apples. Often the 2nd or 3rd best team from league A may draw the 7th or 8th team from league b.

Does it really make a comment about the SEC that Mizzu lost to Texas? Mizzu got bowl eligible by beating NO TEAM with a winning record. Does it really mean the big10 is great because Iowa beat BC? Was the pac12 really a bad conference because a ranked BSU beat Oregon, or that #15 TCU beat #13 Stanford or that ASU, who fired their coach, lost to a ranked NCSt team, or that UCLA lost when their QB made a business decision and decided not to play.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Kevin

no.  once the sec could 2 teams in the playoffs. then the sec teams had to move teams up the bowl latter.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

It depends. If the SEC has a good bowl record, it's the most important determinate of conference superiority. If the SEC has a bad bowl record, it doesn't really matter.

RebelliousHog

Bowl games are about s**** and giggles except the Natty games or your team is in a bowl game.

I will say that TOSU made USC-W look pretty pedestrian.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Cinco de Hogo

Of course it matters, since it's all cross-conference matchups(except the NCG haha) a lot of fans get the chance to brag, and that's the only reason sports is popular past childhood.  Tho only ones that say it doesn't matter are the ones who lose or didn't make it at all.

LRRandy

Quote from: Karma on January 02, 2018, 09:32:46 am
It depends. If the SEC has a good bowl record, it's the most important determinate of conference superiority. If the SEC has a bad bowl record, it doesn't really matter.
+1. That's exactly it. Bowl records by each conference are touted or downplayed depending on how it ends up. The committee uses they eye test as part of their criteria. Part of that eye test is how strong is the conference that you play in. The sec will be viewed as a conference that has two strong teams that fattens up their records on mediocre conference foes.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 02, 2018, 09:36:51 am
Of course it matters, since it's all cross-conference matchups(except the NCG haha) a lot of fans get the chance to brag, and that's the only reason sports is popular past childhood.  Tho only ones that say it doesn't matter are the ones who lose or didn't make it at all.
thats what message boards are made of. Fans going back and forth over the accomplishments or failures of their favorite team/conference. It's our entertainment.
This is fun, isn't it.

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 09:29:18 am
Every year we hear that this conference proved they were really good or were down or whatever based on the conf bowl record. I say they really do not mean anything because the match ups are often not apples to apples. Often the 2nd or 3rd best team from league A may draw the 7th or 8th team from league b.

Does it really make a comment about the SEC that Mizzu lost to Texas? Mizzu got bowl eligible by beating NO TEAM with a winning record. Does it really mean the big10 is great because Iowa beat BC? Was the pac12 really a bad conference because a ranked BSU beat Oregon, or that #15 TCU beat #13 Stanford or that ASU, who fired their coach, lost to a ranked NCSt team, or that UCLA lost when their QB made a business decision and decided not to play.

Decent points but what else (better) do we have to go by other than head to head matchups?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

(notOM)Rebel123

Only if you take into consideration who the favorite, or higher ranked team was, going into the game.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

SemperHawg

They mean even less than they used to due to the growing number of draft eligible guys sitting out the lower tier bowls.  If your team isn't in the play off or one of the NYD BCS type bowls there is a really good chance the best draft eligible guys aren't going to play. 

I would bet you are going to see an even bigger run of non power 5 schools winning bowl games for this very reason.

PonderinHog

Over time, I'd say yes.  At any point in time, probably not.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HenduHog on January 02, 2018, 09:33:15 am
Bowl games are about s**** and giggles except the Natty games or your team is in a bowl game.

I will say that TOSU made USC-W look pretty pedestrian.

It is all about MONEY.   

I do think our conference is raised or lowered many times in fans eyes and especially by the PRESS with Bowl wins and losses.  I look at the record.  I think it is good for our conference when Georgia and Bam are a in the NC game.  But for the rest of us in the SEC we need to start beating those two teams.  Bama is doing way too well in the West and now I can see  Ga dominating in the East. 

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 02, 2018, 09:40:53 am
Decent points but what else (better) do we have to go by other than head to head matchups?

But it is not really head to head. SC beat Mich, does that mean the SEC is better than the big10? But wait, NW beat KY, maybe that makes them equal? Texas beat a really bad Mizzu team that only got to a bowl at all because of a lucky break with the schedule, does that mean the Big12 is better than the sec? Does GA beating OU mean the sec is better than the big12?

That is my point, the conferences bowl records are not made against 1 other league. If it were sec1 vs big10 1 all the way down to sec12 vs bg10 12, then sure you could make an argument then that the conf that came out with the best record is better. 

Like I said, the pac12 had an abysmal bowl season, but did it really mean the acc was better because NCST beat a ASU team with a interim coach, or that UCLA lost to KSU?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HamboFirstBlood

I don't think a single bowl season can give enough insight to the strength of a conference. One may be able to find a trend over a certain amount a time, even then, it's probably more indicative of single teams performances rather entire conferences.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 09:48:00 am
But it is not really head to head. SC beat Mich, does that mean the SEC is better than the big10? But wait, NW beat KY, maybe that makes them equal? Texas beat a really bad Mizzu team that only got to a bowl at all because of a lucky break with the schedule, does that mean the Big12 is better than the sec? Does GA beating OU mean the sec is better than the big12?

That is my point, the conferences bowl records are not made against 1 other league. If it were sec1 vs big10 1 all the way down to sec12 vs bg10 12, then sure you could make an argument then that the conf that came out with the best record is better. 

Like I said, the pac12 had an abysmal bowl season, but did it really mean the acc was better because NCST beat a ASU team with a interim coach, or that UCLA lost to KSU?

Way too complicated just worry about YOUR team and/or conference and let others worry about theirs.  I think our coaches and player want to go to a bowl game and as a fan I'm fine with the reward(s) they get.  Extra practice days doesn't hurt the program either.  I'm not sure where the downside is.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 02, 2018, 10:01:06 am
Way too complicated just worry about YOUR team and/or conference and let others worry about theirs.  I think our coaches and player want to go to a bowl game and as a fan I'm fine with the reward(s) they get.  Extra practice days doesn't hurt the program either.  I'm not sure where the downside is.

I did not say there was a downside to the bowls, but I got real tired the last 3 days of hearing how this conf was really good or that one was really bad just because of the bowl record of the league, when no context of the match ups was figured in.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 10:04:20 am
I did not say there was a downside to the bowls, but I got real tired the last 3 days of hearing how this conf was really good or that one was really bad just because of the bowl record of the league, when no context of the match ups was figured in.

Yea all that will make you head swell...or shrink.  As I said, I'll just worry about what Arkansas does.  Don't give a dang what the rest of the SEC much less any other conference does.  However each and every team has a bunch of me's following their team so I guess it works.

hog of steele

Quote from: Karma on January 02, 2018, 09:32:46 am

This is actually true. The bowls match up badly for the SEC. If you look at the way the stock them it is usually something like 5th pick from the sec vs 2nd or 3rd pick form a p5 conference. The low bowls take the 7-9th sec team vs the conference champ from a small conference.

If the SEC dominated under those conditions (which it has some years) then that is really impressive. If not, its not a huge deal. We shouldn't win all the games when they are seeded like that.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 02, 2018, 09:47:00 am
Over time, I'd say yes.  At any point in time, probably not.

Yep, there is always the flyer in the data. Most post season bowl teams only play an SEC team maybe once in a season. I have to wonder how they would fare if they had to play SEC opponents week in and week out?
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on January 02, 2018, 10:27:24 am
Yep, there is always the flyer in the data. Most post season bowl teams only play an SEC team maybe once in a season. I have to wonder how they would fare if they had to play SEC opponents week in and week out?

I don't know as there is a single game of football you don't have to put into context, however fan bias is what makes it fun...or irritating. LOL!

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 02, 2018, 10:30:39 am
I don't know as there is a single game of football you don't have to put into context, however fan bias is what makes it fun...or irritating. LOL!

We do have a way of getting on each others nerves. :)
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

jkstock04

Those are knee jerk assumptions in your first paragraph based on one game..which of course are normal and paramount especially in social media fandom. On Hogville we 100% judge coaches and teams (that aren't ours) on a per quarter basis. Around here we don't even get to halftime before the knee jerking begins.

But I'm sure one could compile other stats to prove a more serious and level headed argument. Like what is the Big 10s record against the SEC in all matchups or bowl matchups over the past 10 years? Pretty sure that's going to be fairly lopsided and one could say from that the SEC the past 10'years has been a stronger conference.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

King Kong

It does when it's a Conference's team vs the same conference's equal.

Example UGA vs Ok.

I'm not sure how much can he told by the SEC #5 team vs the Big 10 #4

Hogwild

it is a small uneven sample size but when the numbers overwhelmingly point in one direction it does say a lot about your conference.

example Pac-12 lost 8 of 9 bowl game, all prior to New Year's Day, and the only bowl game they won was against West Virginia who didn't have their starting QB.

hawganatic

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 02, 2018, 09:45:18 am
They mean even less than they used to due to the growing number of draft eligible guys sitting out the lower tier bowls. 

How many players have actually done this though?   I know McCaffrey and Fournette did last year.  I haven't paid a lot of attention this bowl season so I don't know if it was a big thing this year.

hawganatic

Issue is, when you are constantly barking about being the best conference in college football, like most SEC schools claim, you need to back that up with your OOC games.  When the team that is regarded as the third best team in the conference loses to a lower tier school like UCF, it makes it really hard to make this claim.

I'm sure the SEC superiority complex is going to get worse since we have an all SEC title game.  What we really have is two superior teams, followed by 12 decent to bad teams. 

hog of steele

Quote from: Hogwild on January 02, 2018, 10:45:26 am
it is a small uneven sample size but when the numbers overwhelmingly point in one direction it does say a lot about your conference.

example Pac-12 lost 8 of 9 bowl game, all prior to New Year's Day, and the only bowl game they won was against West Virginia who didn't have their starting QB.

That sounds bad, but without seeing the matchups, it is hard to interpret the results.

LRRandy

Quote from: hawganatic on January 02, 2018, 10:48:29 am
How many players have actually done this though?   I know McCaffrey and Fournette did last year.  I haven't paid a lot of attention this bowl season so I don't know if it was a big thing this year.
some did this year also. Denzel Ward, tOhio States DB that is a projected first round draft pick did not play.
This is fun, isn't it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LRRandy on January 02, 2018, 09:37:05 am
+1. That's exactly it. Bowl records by each conference are touted or downplayed depending on how it ends up. The committee uses they eye test as part of their criteria. Part of that eye test is how strong is the conference that you play in. The sec will be viewed as a conference that has two strong teams that fattens up their records on mediocre conference foes.

The last couple years, the SEC has been what the Big10 was over the last 15 years or so.  It's cyclical.

Big10 is probably the most balanced conference IMO. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 10:04:20 am

Hang around sports fans for a few seconds and you will see how few of them are capable of considering context at all.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

hawganatic

Quote from: hog of steele on January 02, 2018, 10:52:30 am
That sounds bad, but without seeing the matchups, it is hard to interpret the results.

It really isn't.  Over 8-10 games you should be able to see a trend emerge, regardless of the match ups.  We should have gotten some match ups that favored the SEC, and some that didn't.  Over a several year period that should even out.

I guess if you just look at one particular bowl season it doesn't really say much.  If you look at it over a period of several years, it's a lot more meaningful.

racinghog

Quote from: hog of steele on January 02, 2018, 10:52:30 am
This is so true. There are so many variables to interpret.
First is your number one team playing in the playoffs? The SEC has two in this year which makes our #1 slot go to our 3rd best team and so forth. So our 3rd team may be playing some one else #2. I remember last year we were like 8 or 9 in the SEC and played the ACC team that lost in their Championship game.  The Big 10 and PAC 12 do not  have anyone in it so their bowl slots move up.
Second which team is not interested in playing. If I remember correctly Nutt used the bowl game as a payment to the players and didn't take the bowl seriously. This year Auburn didn't look interested because they just missed a chance to play in the playoffs. UCF was playing their superbowl, NC, and world championship all in one.
Third is the coaches turn over. This may have effected SEC teams more than others this year. A&M and Miss State both had changes and it effected them. Plus we saw what happened to SMU.
These play a part in this and is the reason I do not put much stock in conference record during bowl games.

hog of steele

Quote from: hawganatic on January 02, 2018, 11:15:14 amWe should have gotten some match ups that favored the SEC, and some that didn't.  Over a several year period that should even out.

We don't though. We specifically and intentionally set it up in a way that makes comparison hard. We want to play against the best competition we can find because it pays better. So the matchups are prescribed

SEC 3 v big 12 1
SEC 7 v MWC 1

If we wanted to really test our metal, we would need to do many more games matched up 1-1, 2-2 and so on. What makes it worse is that the playoffs took 2 from the SEC this year. So SEC 1 is actually the third best SEC team.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Kevin on January 02, 2018, 09:31:44 am
no.  once the sec could 2 teams in the playoffs. then the sec teams had to move teams up the bowl latter.
yep. this exactly. all other conferences had a seed advantage over the sec teams they played in every bowl game, including the playoff.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

carolinahogger

It doesn't matter whether the records mean anything.  I was hoping for the SEC teams to lose all of them so Hog fan spinmeisters wouldn't be able to use them to make excuses for how bad our team is.

hog of steele

Quote from: carolinahogger on January 02, 2018, 11:42:34 am
It doesn't matter whether the records mean anything.  I was hoping for the SEC teams to lose all of them so Hog fan spinmeisters wouldn't be able to use them to make excuses for how bad our team is.

Bad enough to fire our coach. What more do you want?

EastexHawg

What this year showed is that the current SEC is extremely top heavy.  Alabama and Georgia are very good, but after them the rest of the conference is not as strong top to bottom as in years past.  Frankly I think that was obvious to most people if they watched the last couple of seasons play out.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 02, 2018, 11:49:17 am
What this year showed is that the current SEC is extremely top heavy.  Alabama and Georgia are very good, but after them the rest of the conference is not as strong top to bottom as in years past.  Frankly I think that was obvious to most people if they watched the last couple of seasons play out.

But is the middle of the sec or the bottom any worse than the middle or bottom of any other league?

Every game means something to someone.  And context is the important thing to remember. Houston so so very rarely beat a better team than his talent.  When he did, it was almost always because the other team had a problem.  Injuries, suspensions, HC left, NCAA penalties.  One of the key reasons Bret did well at Wisconsin was the the typical Big Dogs in the Big 10 were collectively having NCAA problems, injuries, etc. during some of his tenure.  Its all about Context.  Arkansas did well for one reason, 40 or 50 years ago they only played 1 excellent and maybe 2 pretty good teams annually.  Pretty easy to be a 0,1 or 2 loss team.

When reviewing history, games you won say just that, won.  Bowl game won.  Never mind that you may be beating an injured team, a team playing up due to the upper teams being in a playoff, some teams without their HC, etc. 

HamboFirstBlood

Outside of AL and GA, I'd goes as far as to say that the SEC was extremely weak compared to recent years. I haven't looked up any stats to back this it's just how it seems on the surface.

SooieGeneris

I agree with this. Cajun Ed is moving LSU back toward the middle and is capable of taking them to where they were before Saban.

Florida has been underachieving ever since Suburban Crier left. With Mullen in charge, they should improve quite a bit, maybe not to where they used to be, but much better than they've been. Mullen can develop a QB, something they haven't had in several years.

Tennessee had the first ever 8 loss season in program history this year, 0-8 in the SEC. Nowhere to go but up. BJ signed a slew of 4 and 5 stars in his 5 classes, so talent is there, also dysfunction. Pruitt has some work to do.

When those 3 programs are mediocre or awful, the SEC as a whole suffers. When we are down, that doesn't help either.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

PorkSoda

Quote from: LRRandy on January 02, 2018, 09:37:05 am
this year at least.  that bodes well for us, cause there are only a couple teams out of reach at the moment.  the are winnable games for us if morris gets this team pulled out of the pit of misery
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hogarusa

It says nothing. The 14 week regular season is what detemines the strength of a conference. Bowl games are televised exhibition games, near equal to NFL preseason games. ESPN was clever to start tracking conference bowl records for discussion and social media trending. SEC fans eat it up as a source of southern pride and domination while the rest of the country are ready to pounce when an SEC team loses. Will continue this tradition for many years to come
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 02, 2018, 01:04:48 pm
It says nothing. The 14 week regular season is what detemines the strength of a conference. Bowl games are televised exhibition games, near equal to NFL preseason games. ESPN was clever to start tracking conference bowl records for discussion and social media trending. SEC fans eat it up as a source of southern pride and domination while the rest of the country are ready to pounce when an SEC team loses. Will continue this tradition for many years to come
8 of those 12 games are conference games.  Conference games only determine the pecking order within the conference.

so only the 4 OOC and the 1 bowl game can be used to compare relative strength of a conference as compared to other conferences.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 09:29:18 am

Talking heads on TV make a big thing out of stuff like this because that's what they do. When the Big 10 is down, they usually ignore it, there is a lot of big media in the population centers up there and they don't dare bash their precious conference that has 14 teams and still calls itself the Big 10.

When they are up, the tubthumpers come out in full force. Sesamestreit, Joey Galloway, Robert Smith, Corso coached at Indiana, there are a bunch of Big Tenners in the national media and they protect their favorite conference.

It is not meaningless, conference records in Bowl games, but it is skewed due to so many teams having Interim HCs, some players sitting out to protect themselves for the NFL, some teams treat it like a vacation, to others it is life and death.

The more accurate way to judge conferences is OOC games in the regular season. A team like Auburn, as much as I dislike them, had no real incentive to win the Peach Bowl or at least not as much as UCF.

UCF was trying to prove they could beat a Power 5 team and preserve a perfect record, Auburn had their playoff hopes dashed in their last game, in Atlanta, site of the Bowl game. They just didn't have nearly as much to play for as UCF.
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

IronHog

No, it doesn't matter beyond bragging rights.

One game matchups a month after the season aren't indicative of anything really outside the playoff..... and the NC doesn't mean much because Bama gets do overs.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Well most of Bamas backups should be starting at other SEC schools

How they get kids to do that anyway 🤔

hogsanity

Quote from: IronHog on January 02, 2018, 01:12:17 pm

and the NC doesn't mean much because Bama gets do overs.

I'll ask you again, who should have gotten a do over? Ohio St, Miami, Wisc?

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 01:16:05 pm
I'll ask you again, who should have gotten a do over? Ohio St, Miami, Wisc?

Auburn beat UGA and BAMA then gets punished for playing in the championship game

PAC 12 or Big 10 champ should have taken Bamas spot

PorkSoda

Quote from: IronHog on January 02, 2018, 01:19:43 pm

Auburn beat UGA and BAMA then gets punished for playing in the championship game

PAC 12 or Big 10 champ should have taken Bamas spot
and proved why they didn't deserve to be in the PO by getting blown out