Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Successfully obtaining....

Started by Iwastherein1969, December 17, 2017, 09:53:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 17, 2017, 09:53:26 pm
Gerry Bohanon II 's signature on a fax where he promises to play football for the University of Arkansas is as important, if not more important than the day the UA had Ryan Mallett fall right into their lap.

Bohanon II is exactly the type of QB that Arkansas hasn't had since Matt Jones and before him Quinn Grovey. Remember Grovey and how much of a smooth operator with the ball he was and could win games with his feet. Well, IMHO, Bohanon II is a much bigger, stronger and yes faster version of Quinn. Arkansas could build an offense around this young man which would give ANY defense in the SEC fits in trying to contain chunk yardage plays. Even busted plays would turn into some of our most effective calls because of the speed and size of Bohanon II.

If we get Gerry, there will be no massive rebuilding project needed. Just put #11 in the left lane and let him put the "Hammer Down". Yep, Bohanon II could cut the rebuilding process time in half. In other words, two years from now, the Hogs will be vying for an SEC West title. This young man is that good. No doubt about it.
Unless Bohanon is the second coming of Cam Newton (without the college $ scam), he is not going to beat out a redshirt sophomore with SEC game experience. Kelley has the experience, he has a stronger arm than Bohanon, and he can run - maybe not like Bohanon as far as speed and change of direction, but Kelley does have wheels, & ... he is a freaking clydesdale! I would much rather try to tackle a guy that is 220 lbs than a guy that is 270.
Cole Kelley, barring an unforeseen event, should be the Hogs starting QB in 2018, and probably 2019, at least.
Bohanon, after redshirting in 2018, would most likely be the starter after that.
Too many fanboys want the incoming freshman to start right away because they are the hottest thing going at that moment. What the more experienced players have done in the past is suddenly a forgotten memory.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Pig in the Pokey

Or Daulton Hyatt. That kid is a dual threat qb and is the highest rated QB we have.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

riccoar

Not knocking, but if you are the best, competition should not deter you or scare you.  Either way, Bo is going to get a great opportunity.

redleg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 18, 2017, 08:06:16 am
Or Daulton Hyatt. That kid is a dual threat qb and is the highest rated QB we have.
Often times high school ratings matter little on the practice field. If Hyatt had been that good he would not have redshirted this past season.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

colbs

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 18, 2017, 08:06:16 am
I think QB is probably the toughest position when ranking in HS.  I mean look at the past Heisman winners and some of the best QBs in CFB the last 7+ years.  A lot of them weren't highly ranked coming out of HS.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 18, 2017, 07:32:46 am
jeez, as if THAT was the point. The POINT is that Gerry IS the #1 player in his state. Peanut adams was a bum.

Very much like Kiehl Frazier in 2011. Except Frazier had legitimate big-time offers.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pudgepork

Quote from: redleg on December 18, 2017, 08:09:59 am
Often times high school ratings matter little on the practice field. If Hyatt had been that good he would not have redshirted this past season.

Why wouldn't Hyatt redshirt?  Regardless of his talents.   Arkansas had a SR qb in place who had looked very good at times until defenses battered and bruised him.

Regardless of where GB decides, Arkansas is in much better situation at qb than the majority of seasons that they have been in the sec.  At least they have talent at hand regardless of where 1 recruit decides to go

Bubba's Bruisers

Do we really want GB?  You bet.  Appears to be a terrific talent with tons of potential?  Especially if that potential is realized at the QB position. 

Is GB some kind of savior?  Um, unlikely.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hogsanity

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 18, 2017, 07:45:11 am
keep spewing what? He WILL be the best dual threat QB out of this state since Matt Jones. And it'll most likely be at Memphis, like I been saying. Norvell is his guy. I wish we could have him but Bert screwed that up. Bert and all these Noland-bots ....

Careful, your jealousy is starting to show.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Why burn a year behind a rs sr a rs soph and a rs fr. He was not going to beat out AA or CK.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cram224

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 18, 2017, 07:45:11 am
keep spewing what? He WILL be the best dual threat QB out of this state since Matt Jones. And it'll most likely be at Memphis, like I been saying. Norvell is his guy. I wish we could have him but Bert screwed that up. Bert and all these Noland-bots ....
Since PitP said it, it means we have a chance. What is some of your stock picks? I need to sell a few.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on December 17, 2017, 10:07:13 pm
We've seen how players from small school Arkansas fare at the Div I SEC Level.  Most are busts.

I hope that if GB comes to Arkansas that he is an instant success but the odds are against him due to the different level of competition in the SEC.
lol.. have many from bigger schools been successful??

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Peter Porker on December 18, 2017, 08:24:09 am
Very much like Kiehl Frazier in 2011. Except Frazier had legitimate big-time offers.
kid has Bama offer and georgia and auburn. KF got his position changed, too. And his coach is known for playing QBs that arent really QBs.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: cram224 on December 18, 2017, 08:48:08 am
Since PitP said it, it means we have a chance. What is some of your stock picks? I need to sell a few.
n00b, ive picked so many winners over the last decade + here, i couldnt begin to name them all. All against the odds, too, my picks are always bold.
how would you know a thing about me, mr 200 posts?

Peter Porker

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 18, 2017, 07:36:07 am
by one service he was. he was not a consensus 5 star. Also, he was a system QB. Can you even name Earle's coach?

Kheil Frazier couldnt hold G-Bo's jock when you get through. If he was in a bigger school he'd be a 5* , too; THATS from ESPN head recruiting analyst. One of the reasons G-Bo isnt rated 5*s is b/c Gus' two BUST QBs ruined it for other Arkansas kids.

More than one service.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kiehl-Frazier-460/high-school-1115

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/101249/kiehl-frazier

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Pig in the Pokey

And he was a bust that was forced to switch positions and couldnt even get a one day NFL contract.

G-Bo's story hasnt been written yet, but Ive noted several posters who are predicting G-Bo to be a bust and I will be sure to remind them. You amongst them. Connor Noland gonna be our Manziel anyway, no need for Watson.

cram224

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 18, 2017, 08:53:09 am
n00b, ive picked so many winners over the last decade + here, i couldnt begin to name them all. All against the odds, too, my picks are always bold.
Some people have a problem talking to much.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 18, 2017, 09:00:02 am
And he was a bust that was forced to switch positions and couldnt even get a one day NFL contract.

G-Bo's story hasnt been written yet, but Ive noted several posters who are predicting G-Bo to be a bust and I will be sure to remind them. You amongst them. Connor Noland gonna be our Manziel anyway, no need for Watson.

He is a risk at QB, much less than on defense. That said, we're also a bit jaded because the last couple dual-threat QB's from Arkansas that left played for a coach who cannot develop the position to save his life.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

Peter Porker

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 18, 2017, 09:00:02 am

Check your post history on who you said were gonna be beast. Don't quit your day job trying to be a scout.

Peter Porker

Winners like Zeke Pike, Kelvin Fisher, Big Tex, etc.

hogsanity

GB is good QB that is causing a great amount of hometownheroitis among some. Arkansas gets so few highly heralded players that when one comes along we assign legend status.

The one thing I do not get is why GB is causing such hand wringing, yet no one wants to pay much attention to Connor Noland, even though he is a much more polished, much more highly regarded recruit.

cram224

I can't help it that I was a member 2 years before you, but I don't have a lot to say.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 09:35:50 am
GB is good QB that is causing a great amount of hometownheroitis among some. Arkansas gets so few highly heralded players that when one comes along we assign legend status.

The one thing I do not get is why GB is causing such hand wringing, yet no one wants to pay much attention to Connor Noland, even though he is a much more polished, much more highly regarded recruit.

For me, it's more to do with GB the football player than it is GB the QB.  Kid might be a legit SEC player at other positions if QB doesn't work out.  We need to grab all the low hanging fruit we possibly can, and conventional wisdom says GB should be low hanging fruit.  But conventional wisdom apparently went out the window by BB's recruiting strategy with GB.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Peter Porker

And has been extremely loyal. So loyal that he actively recruited Bohanon. Talk about not being afraid of competition.

Pig in the Pokey

make a thread then. but it's not true anyway. i talk about noland all the time; a large amount of posts in here are about him, even tho it's a bohanon thread.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 09:43:48 am
For me, it's more to do with GB the football player than it is GB the QB.  Kid might be a legit SEC player at other positions if QB doesn't work out.  We need to grab all the low hanging fruit we possibly can, and conventional wisdom says GB should be low hanging fruit.  But conventional wisdom apparently went out the window by BB's recruiting strategy with GB.

It is not like his offer sheet, from what I have seen, is just covered with top level fbs schools. Just going by info provided here I saw  Baylor, IU and Memphis.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 10:01:41 am
It is not like his offer sheet, from what I have seen, is just covered with top level fbs schools. Just going by info provided here I saw  Baylor, IU and Memphis.

Most sites show him with...Bama, AU, UGA, LSU, TN, etc...  It could be that that he's not interested in those at this point, because most are maybe offering as an athlete, or most already have a logjam at QB.  Or maybe he's waited too long, and some of those didn't hold a scholie for him.  Don't know, just speculating, but I believe the kid got lots of big boy interest.

The common chatter is that he's dead set on QB and wants a place he thinks has the least path of resistance to the starting job. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 10:07:53 am

The common chatter is that he's dead set on QB and wants a place he thinks has the least path of resistance to the starting job. 

Well then all those saying the Hogs have to get him so if QB does not work out they can move him to another position are not seeing the whole picture. If he is dead set on QB and he goes somewhere and does not get to play QB he will likely transfer.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 10:15:05 am
Well then all those saying the Hogs have to get him so if QB does not work out they can move him to another position are not seeing the whole picture. If he is dead set on QB and he goes somewhere and does not get to play QB he will likely transfer.

But that's a risk worth taking.  Really not much of a risk. 

Hawg Life

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 10:07:53 am
Most sites show him with...Bama, AU, UGA, LSU, TN, etc...  It could be that that he's not interested in those at this point, because most are maybe offering as an athlete, or most already have a logjam at QB.  Or maybe he's waited too long, and some of those didn't hold a scholie for him.  Don't know, just speculating, but I believe the kid got lots of big boy interest.

I don't think he'd see the field until his JR year @ Arkansas @ QB. I'd have to look @ the depth chart @ the other schools to see when he'd most likely play there. It's extremely rare that you have offers from LSU, Auburn, and Bama, but have a final four of Memphis, Baylor, Indiana, and Arkansas. So, either he knows he won't play QB @ the top schools or they've asked him to change positions? Anyone who thinks he'll start as a freshman probably thought Duwop was the second coming of Michael Vick.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 10:16:18 am

I have no issue with him, I have issue with the idea that he is the make or break guy some are playing him up to be. HE si not even the best QB in the class if he does sign.

TuffTusk

It has been said that coach Morris is an outstanding judge of potential QB talent at a high level.  I've also read on this board how the previous staff didn't build that all important "relationship" with Bohanon.  My question to those that know, did coach Morris recruit Bohanon at SMU?  If so, wouldn't there be a "relationship" with him already?  If he didn't recruit him, why not?
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

Hawg Life

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 10:16:18 am

So, you'd rather have Bohanon than a 5* Middle LB or safety? Keep in mind that we'll be explosive on offense.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 10:24:42 am
I have no issue with him, I have issue with the idea that he is the make or break guy some are playing him up to be. HE si not even the best QB in the class if he does sign.

I agree that he's not a make or break guy, but with your last sentence, you essentially just waded into the same pond as those claiming GB is make or break.  We don't know who would be the best QB.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 18, 2017, 10:30:54 am
So, you'd rather have Bohanon than a 5* Middle LB or safety? Keep in mind that we'll be explosive on offense.

If it's an extreme either/or scenario as you propose, then I'd rather have the S.  We supposedly already have a stud MLB committed.

But I don't see that one has much to do with the other.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: TuffTusk on December 18, 2017, 10:29:09 am
It has been said that coach Morris is an outstanding judge of potential QB talent at a high level.  I've also read on this board how the previous staff didn't build that all important "relationship" with Bohanon.  My question to those that know, did coach Morris recruit Bohanon at SMU?  If so, wouldn't there be a "relationship" with him already?  If he didn't recruit him, why not?

He was probably focused on TX recruits, which is supposedly his specialty.

blu

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 10:33:36 am
I agree that he's not a make or break guy, but with your last sentence, you essentially just waded into the same pond as those claiming GB is make or break.  We don't know who would be the best QB.

You are right, we don't know. JJones' grandson could be the best QB - would be fine with me if he is. About the same height as Chase Daniels. Who worked out pretty good as a college QB at Mizzou
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

sickboy

TuffTusk

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 10:37:39 am
He was probably focused on TX recruits, which is supposedly his specialty.

Most likely correct.  I have no idea what coach Morris' feelings are toward any recruit, but it seems to me if he felt the next DeShawn Watson was a few hours north of him, he might spend time building that relationship. 
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 10:24:42 am
Highest rated recruit in the state, and our other QB commit is in-state, how is he not the highest rated?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: TuffTusk on December 18, 2017, 10:43:23 am
Most likely correct.  I have no idea what coach Morris' feelings are toward any recruit, but it seems to me if he felt the next DeShawn Watson was a few hours north of him, he might spend time building that relationship. 

Yes, if he's at a big boy program like Clemson where he knows he's got a fighting chance to land him.  Not at SMU, where he knows he almost definitely doesn't have a chance.  He might throw out a scholie, but he's likely not going to do too much more if the kid isn't reciprocating.

Again, TX is low hanging fruit for him.  Not Earle, AR where he's unknown and recruiting for mighty SMU.

ricepig

Bielema wasn't going to play a freshman at QB, so that blows that theory out of the water.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Hawg Life on December 18, 2017, 10:30:54 am
So, you’d rather have Bohanon than a 5* Middle LB or safety? Keep in mind that we’ll be explosive on offense.
Nope. 
Noland is a great QB.  We have a legit chance at Gunnell next year.  We need defensive studs. 

If the situation was reversed and GB was committed and Noland was not, we'd all be crying for Noland.  Oh, he is the perfect QB for Morris because of his arm.  The number 2 QB is always the fan favorite, and in this case it is GB.  They are both equally great QBs. 

Truth is no one on this board knows how it will shake out.  They are both great QBs.  The cupboard is not currently bare in the QB room, but it is on defense.  Defense is our greatest area of need.   

hogsanity

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 18, 2017, 11:20:43 am
Nope. 
Noland is a great QB.  We have a legit chance at Gunnell next year.  We need defensive studs. 

If the situation was reversed and GB was committed and Noland was not, we'd all be crying for Noland.  Oh, he is the perfect QB for Morris because of his arm.  The number 2 QB is always the fan favorite, and in this case it is GB.  They are both equally great QBs. 

Truth is no one on this board knows how it will shake out.  They are both great QBs.  The cupboard is not currently bare in the QB room, but it is on defense.  Defense is our greatest area of need.

They are both GREAT HS QB's playing against AR HS defenses. That is much different than being a great QB.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: hogsanity on December 18, 2017, 11:23:35 am
They are both GREAT HS QB's playing against AR HS defenses. That is much different than being a great QB.

Agree, and a great example is Ty Storey.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 18, 2017, 10:36:29 am
If it's an extreme either/or scenario as you propose, then I'd rather have the S.  We supposedly already have a stud MLB committed.

But I don't see that one has much to do with the other.

We have more need on the defensive side of the ball, than offensive. GB is not a make or break player.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 18, 2017, 11:20:43 am
Nope. 

And GB could end up being the best defensive player we could/would land in this class, Auburn, Alabama etc. would take his commit right now if he wanted to play defense.

hogsanity

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 18, 2017, 11:25:31 am
Agree, and a great example is Ty Storey.

And K Frazier, and Kodi Burns, and Gary Brashears, and probably two dozen other "cant miss Qb's" from Ar HS football that never did anything anywhere.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 18, 2017, 11:32:05 am
And GB could end up being the best defensive player we could/would land in this class, Auburn, Alabama etc. would take his commit right now if he wanted to play defense.
True, but I think his intend is to play QB.  This is why CBB and team did not recruit him hard, and why he will not play for Bama or Aubbie.   

hogsanity

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 18, 2017, 11:32:05 am

That is the key question though, is it QB or no thanks as far as he is concerned. Is he stuck on playing QB?