Started by Amityvillehogger, August 27, 2008, 11:04:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you like to score them ?

Keep it simple. Buck or doe and number of points
Count the spread
I don't care

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: MB on August 27, 2008, 09:39:27 am
Maybe we should get a poll vote on the rules going in a couple weeks.  Archery season starts October 1st.

Here ya go.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

ArrowsATC

Not to be picky  lol  but I voted (by myself :)) to count spread and other measurements, because there wasn't an only count the spread. I am not looking to count B&C or whatever, I simply would like # of Points + Inside spread or even 1/2 the inside spread depending on how much you want to weight the does.  See my comment in the other thread

Amityvillehogger

August 27, 2008, 02:48:54 pm #2 Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:23:13 pm by Amityvillehogger
Right now, its 5 to 2 in favor of keep in simple. 

Planned on keeping it open for a little while. Vote while you can!
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

pioneerhog

I would like to see us count the spread. The reason is this, someone can kill a small 8 point and another person could kill a 8 with a 18 inch spread, if it is simple they both get 8 points but if you count the spread the one with the bigger spread will get more points. I think that people should be rewarded for the bigger the deer they kill.

JusticeHawg

I was thinking the same thing ph...........if a guy takes down a monster I think it should count more than a smaller one with the same amount of points.  I know it would keep it simple for those in charge of running it.........it just seems a larger rack should be rewarded more.
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: JusticeHawg on August 27, 2008, 06:05:21 pm
I know it would keep it simple for those in charge of running it.........it just seems a larger rack should be rewarded more.

Don't matter to me. Just whatever the poll determines.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Brand X Hog Fan

How about a two deer max score for each hunter, allowing the culling of smaller deer. I will only  have a chance at two deer this year, and some zones only allow 3 total.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

pioneerhog

I don't care what the number of deer is. I think it should be what ever the limit is, but that is just me. I could however see doing a 3 deer limit, that way the people in the three deer limit zones are not at a disadvantage.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: pioneerhog on August 27, 2008, 07:30:54 pm
I don't care what the number of deer is. I think it should be what ever the limit is, but that is just me. I could however see doing a 3 deer limit, that way the people in the three deer limit zones are not at a disadvantage.

lol, the last two comments coming from you and me who, as I remember, both got skunked last year!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Coondog Hog

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Brand X Hog Fan

or was it Coondog that got skunked with me? I swear it was one of you two.

Quote from: Brand X Hog Fan on August 27, 2008, 07:35:10 pm
lol, the last two comments coming from you and me who, as I remember, both got skunked last year!

pioneerhog

Quote from: Brand X Hog Fan on August 27, 2008, 07:46:26 pm
or was it Coondog that got skunked with me? I swear it was one of you two.

My team got beat like a rented mule but I don't remember if you was on it or not.

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Amityvillehogger

August 27, 2008, 08:16:16 pm #14 Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:20:00 pm by Amityvillehogger
Quote from: pioneerhog on August 27, 2008, 07:30:54 pm
I could however see doing a 3 deer limit, that way the people in the three deer limit zones are not at a disadvantage.

That's fine too.. Yall just let me know.

EDIT: It's changed to 3 deer.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

pioneerhog

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on August 27, 2008, 08:14:55 pm
What you suggest for doe's?
I liked your suggestion in the other thread.

5 points for any deer, add 1 point for every point over 1 inch, and 1 point for every inch of the spread.

My question though is, what are you going to do about fractions of a inch, like 3/4"? Are you going to give out points to the quater of inch, eigth, or what.

Like say someone kills a 10 with a 16 3/4" spread, would it be 5+10+16.75=31.75 points?

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: pioneerhog on August 27, 2008, 08:37:16 pm
I liked your suggestion in the other thread.

5 points for any deer, add 1 point for every point over 1 inch, and 1 point for every inch of the spread.

My question though is, what are you going to do about fractions of a inch, like 3/4"? Are you going to give out points to the quater of inch, eigth, or what.

Like say someone kills a 10 with a 16 3/4" spread, would it be 5+10+16.75=31.75 points?

Well, a math teacher told me a long time ago: .0 to .4 round down, .5 and above, round up. ;D
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

pioneerhog

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on August 27, 2008, 09:04:23 pm
Well, a math teacher told me a long time ago: .0 to .4 round down, .5 and above, round up. ;D
Works for me or we could just round everything down. It's just whatever.

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on August 27, 2008, 08:14:55 pm
What you suggest for doe's?

Sorry about that 5 for each deer plus legal antler points plus spread
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan

Mitch C

Amityvillehogger

It's looking like keep it simple.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

pioneerhog

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on August 28, 2008, 10:06:41 pm
Quote from: Amityvillehogger on August 28, 2008, 10:06:41 pm
I am for keeping this open until the sign up period is over.

Coondog Hog

I just dont see how the top 10 pt.  Should be worth as much as the bottom 10 pt.  Including the spread will cleary the muddy waters a little bit.  Of course I am just happy to be playing again this year :)

- Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: Coondog Hog on August 29, 2008, 12:13:54 am
I just dont see how the top 10 pt.  Should be worth as much as the bottom 10 pt.  Including the spread will cleary the muddy waters a little bit.  Of course I am just happy to be playing again this year :)

I don't either, but thats why there is a poll.  It's all in fun anyway. ;D
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Coondog Hog

August 29, 2008, 09:19:23 am #24 Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 09:30:04 am by Coondog Hog
here are some rules from another contest i'm in they seem to work well for everyone there.  I'm not trying to be a turd this will be the last I post on it I promise let the pole take us where it will and i will be happy to abide by whatever rules we have.

1. 3 person teams-- randomly drawn after the deadline and posted in this thread.

2. A team's final score will be the combined score's of all member's of the team.

3. Deer must be legally harvested in Arkansas in the 2008 fall/winter season.

4. Contestant has ten (10) days to enter a deer after the date of harvest.

5. There is a 2 deer limit to make it fair to those who only get to hunt in 2 deer zones.

6. Each doe or button buck scores 5 points.

7. An antlered deer scores 1 point per each point that's at least 1 inches long plus the inside spread rounded off to the nearest 1/8th. So measure the inside spread at the widest point, round it off to the nearest 1/8, then add that number to the total number of points at least one inches long in order to get your deer's total score.

8. Once a deer is entered it can not be replaced with a different deer.

9. The following info must be posted in the separate 2008 Deer Contest Teams and Photos thread within ten (10 ) days after harvesting your deer, or if you harvest a deer with less than 10 days left in the contest the info must be entered no later than midnight Dec 31:

Your team number.
Date of harvest.
Weapon Used
Total number of points at least one (1) inch long
Inside spread measurement, rounded off to nearest 1/8
Your deer's total score
A photo that includes you with the deer that shows more of the deer than just it's head, plus shows all it's points, the antler spread, and G&F tag attached to deer, even if that means posting more than one photo. The Forum doesn't recommend anyone posting photos of tags that plainly shows personal information. (If you are alone: position yourself and the deer to meet contest rules then hold camera out at arms length and snap several photos at different angles)

- Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: MB on August 29, 2008, 09:06:52 am
You can always pass up that small 8 point and hold out for the big 8.

If we count the spread...are we just going to take people at their word or have a photo of the measuring tape?

That's one reason to not worry about the tape measure or spread.  Just a thought.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

SultanofSwine

That picture of the whole deer rule would knock me out because I am not hauling a whole deer out of most of the places I hunt. Field quarter and pack out the head. It the only way to fly.

95_alum

Porkys Revenge

The only way to have a deer contest is by the Boone and Crockett scoring system. I would also say that only one buck be scored, the biggest one each individual kills. And forget the does, they're meaningless and can be killed as easily as flies.

ArrowsATC

Ummm, obviously you are used to a much more "trophy minded" hunting style.  I wouldn't trust people on here to "properly" score a buck, I am not implying cheating, it just isn't easy to get it right. Furthermore, there is NO way to independently verify it.  I can see a tape measure stretched between the antlers and definitely can count points. 
Last year I had a buck that people disputed the number of points, it was hard to see, imagine the problems if people start questioning boone and crockett scoring.

Porkys Revenge

Quote from: ArrowsATC on September 06, 2008, 05:51:47 pm
Ummm, obviously you are used to a much more "trophy minded" hunting style.  I wouldn't trust people on here to "properly" score a buck, I am not implying cheating, it just isn't easy to get it right. Furthermore, there is NO way to independently verify it.  I can see a tape measure stretched between the antlers and definitely can count points. 
Last year I had a buck that people disputed the number of points, it was hard to see, imagine the problems if people start questioning boone and crockett scoring.
Actually it is very simple. Any serious deer hunter should know how to score a deer. They sell kits at Walmart with instructions that a 3rd grader could follow. It aint rocket science.

RedRiverHog

Points plus inside spread rounded up to the nearest 1/2 inch (verified by picture).

That's simple enough.
Quote from: cosmodrum on December 23, 2011, 12:45:49 pm
Then I luuuuuvs the dick.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: RedRiverHog on September 08, 2008, 05:45:50 pm
Points plus inside spread rounded up to the nearest 1/2 inch (verified by picture).

That's simple enough.

That's fine by me.  But, I'm not the only one that it needs approved by.  Cause apparently the poll isn't proving anything.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

RedRiverHog

Quote from: MB on September 09, 2008, 12:55:12 pm
If the poll ends in a draw...just flip a coin and tell us no spread or with spread rounded up to the next 1/2 inch verified by picture.(thanks RedRiver)  Howz that for simple?

Just make sure the toss ends up for this method.......... ;)

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

Amityvillehogger

September 10, 2008, 11:08:22 am #34 Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 11:21:22 am by Amityvillehogger
Quote from: RedRiverHog on September 09, 2008, 04:37:43 pm
Just make sure the toss ends up for this method.......... ;)

Voting has been locked.  Spread will count. This is the method that is going to be used.

Here ya go:

5 points per deer. Buck or Doe.
1 additional point will be added for every point on a rack of 1 inch or more.
1 additional point added for every inch of spread rounded to the nearest 1/2 inch.

Ex: 8 point Buck ( 5 ) + ( 8 ) with 15 3/4 spread ( 16 ) = 29 points

Must be verified by picture.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Coondog Hog

- Ronald Reagan

-Ronald Reagan

pioneerhog

Sounde good. That is how I wanted it anyway.

RedRiverHog

Good deal....

I like Bud Select and Cloudy Bay, but will consider cash.