Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just back from the game

Started by dawn2tusk, November 03, 2017, 11:04:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dawn2tusk

The good....Barford, Macon, Gafford, and Hall.  We know what barford and macon bring.  I posted after the red/white game that hall and gafford need to start. Hall brings some much defense and athleticism. If you've not seen gafford yet you're in for a treat.

The meh....jones and beard.  Jones didn't shoot great tonight but I'm not worried. However, I'm officially down on his defense. Slow rotation and just doesn't take it personal.  Think he can still develop. Beard is never going to be a great player but he's good enough to provide quality minutes off the bench. I've always liked his toughness and am comfortable with him shooting the open jumper. Still over pentetrates sometimes.

The bad....Thompson and bailey.  Thompson looks like he's picked up weight since last year. He looks slower. Bailey is so dang tentative. Shooting, passing,  defensive rotation, and one on one defense.  He looks like he's so worried about messing up it's causing him to mess up.

Will help to get thomas back and would love to add garland to the mix

Hollywood_HOGan45

Missing two guys like Thomas and cook at weak position has had an impact. Need to get Thomas back in there.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Sounds like bailey will be fine after a couple more games. Sounds like he has early season jitters
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

JayHog

It's weird because Bailey's defense after coming into the UNC game was one of the biggest reasons we took the lead down the stretch. That was just in March of this year...not that long ago, really.

lunchbox72703

might help if the team would stay out of the bars on Dickson Thursday night.......just sayin'

Hogs49ers

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on November 04, 2017, 01:33:33 am
might help if the team would stay out of the bars on Dickson Thursday night.......just sayin'

Who did you see?
SCREW Vandy!

parallaxpig

They will better when Cook and Thomas come back because they will provide some scoring in the paint. When the guards forced the issue and drove into the paint things happen for the better (same as last year). When they got complacent and jacked three pointers that's how western kept in game. Basically I believe they played hard when they realized they couldn't  separate themselves from Western.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

The_Iceman

We need Thomas and Garland.....BAD!

Pinto

I don't understand how you can be in a system like ours for four years and still can't lose weight...unless you have some kind of disorder. Go vegan or something!

parallaxpig

Quote from: Pinto on November 04, 2017, 07:08:33 am
I don't understand how you can be in a system like ours for four years and still can't lose weight...unless you have some kind of disorder. Go vegan or something!

Thompson asset is high post play and feeding the back cutter. He has great vision. Unfortunately I believe if they measured he's vertical it would be around 6 inches........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Pinto

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 04, 2017, 07:11:48 am
Thompson asset is high post play and feeding the back cutter. He has great vision. Unfortunately I believe if they measured he's vertical it would be around 6 inches........

I agree but he could also set better screens instead of just going through the motion. He plays too lazy for my liking...

parallaxpig

Quote from: Pinto on November 04, 2017, 07:20:24 am
I agree but he could also set better screens instead of just going through the motion. He plays too lazy for my liking...

For those who have seen the 3 freshmen play in high school.....is Garland better than Hall (statement based of recruiting rankings)? I ask because Hall can play and is gonna help a lot this year. He is obviously athletic but he is high energy, plays defense well and attacks the rim. 

Pinto

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 04, 2017, 07:54:06 am
For those who have seen the 3 freshmen play in high school.....is Garland better than Hall (statement based of recruiting rankings)? I ask because Hall can play and is gonna help a lot this year. He is obviously athletic but he is high energy, plays defense well and attacks the rim.

Two different kind of players. On offense, Garland is more of a slasher with the ball whereas Hall does most of his damage slashing without. Dayday was very underrated in those recruiting rankings because he seemed somewhat uncoordinated but athletic in high school. Kid has crazy potential. Hopefully we'll see what Khalil can do if/when he is cleared in December

Bigmac2

Help me out here. I saw 4 players not dressed - Cook, Thomas and Garland I know. Who was the fourth?  My reading comprehension is weak.

Very worried about our perimeter defense. W Mo shot over 50% and close to 60% in the second half with wide open shots. W Mo was deeper than I thought and they didn't wear down till very late in the game. Gafford is the real deal. From what I read about last game and what I saw this game his improvement for one week was impressive. We still have a lot of freshman mistakes in ball handling - 18 turnovers I believe. Was W Mo that great of a ball handling team - only 6 steals for the Hogs.
Spot on comments about Thompson. Being a Forrest City guy myself I was disappointed in his play. He did look bigger and slower.
They will have to improve however I do see they have the tools to get a lot better.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Bigmac2 on November 04, 2017, 09:00:40 am
Help me out here. I saw 4 players not dressed - Cook, Thomas and Garland I know. Who was the fourth?  My reading comprehension is weak.

Very worried about our perimeter defense. W Mo shot over 50% and close to 60% in the second half with wide open shots. W Mo was deeper than I thought and they didn't wear down till very late in the game. Gafford is the real deal. From what I read about last game and what I saw this game his improvement for one week was impressive. We still have a lot of freshman mistakes in ball handling - 18 turnovers I believe. Was W Mo that great of a ball handling team - only 6 steals for the Hogs.
Spot on comments about Thompson. Being a Forrest City guy myself I was disappointed in his play. He did look bigger and slower.
They will have to improve however I do see they have the tools to get a lot better.

I believe 4th was Jalen Harris, transfer who has to sit out a year.

Hawg Red

Jalen Harris is a redshirt transfer.

hobhog

My son was there and stated Gafford looked very good and the rest of team not so much.

We are a SEC team that struggled against a division II team I had never heard of that is picked 14th in their conference (that I also have never heard of).

We have three senior guards that have been thru the wars, and then all question marks with only 9 scholarship players. Yes, it's early but I think there is more to be concerned about than excited about.

We will find out quickly this year with a great OOC schedule.

parallaxpig

Quote from: hobhog on November 04, 2017, 09:13:35 am
My son was there and stated Gafford looked very good and the rest of team not so much.

We are a SEC team that struggled against a division II team I had never heard of that is picked 14th in their conference (that I also have never heard of).

We have three senior guards that have been thru the wars, and then all question marks with only 9 scholarship players. Yes, it's early but I think there is more to be concerned about than excited about.

There was a reason that media picked Hogs middle of the pack. Team has a lot of things to sort out. They will be better at end of year than now as most of MA's teams are. All though if we have to play with 9-10 players all year then all bets are off.......

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hobhog on November 04, 2017, 09:13:35 am

May take a few lumps here and there but I think we will see this team gel in January. Gafford and Hall are going to have a big impact this season. Garland loss really hurt but if he gets cleared in December, that will really help with our depth because Gabe looks to be a year away at least.
Hogs up! Covid down!

MNHogFan

I was at the game, Gafford will be fun to watch, the others not so much, we could be in for a very long season.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: MNHogFan on November 04, 2017, 09:48:45 am
I was at the game, Gafford will be fun to watch, the others not so much, we could be in for a very long season.
Barford and Macon won't be fun to watch?
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

lynbug

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 04, 2017, 09:22:43 am
There was a reason that media picked Hogs middle of the pack. Team has a lot of things to sort out. They will be better at end of year than now as most of MA's teams are. All though if we have to play with 9-10 players all year then all bets are off.......
Is that looking like a possibility?  Earlier I the year we were talking about how much we will need 4th-year senior experience (because they are the only two of them) from Thompson and Beard.  If we don't get that.....along with a short bench..... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Pinto

TheSportsGuy

The team is trying all sorts of combos with the new players.  Anyone freaking out over a d2 school hanging with us is just stupid.  You get better in practice but you learn different things about how players react/adjust under the lights.  It takes time.  Our athleticism is insane.  Hall may end up being the best of the bunch.  I will never count us out again after how we finished the last half of the season last year.  Enjoy the process.  They are going to be really good.

hobhog

Quote from: TheSportsGuy on November 04, 2017, 10:51:20 am
The team is trying all sorts of combos with the new players.  Anyone freaking out over a d2 school hanging with us is just stupid.  You get better in practice but you learn different things about how players react/adjust under the lights.  It takes time.  Our athleticism is insane.  Hall may end up being the best of the bunch.  I will never count us out again after how we finished the last half of the season last year.  Enjoy the process.  They are going to be really good.

TWO D2 teams. Just sayin. And they are figuring things out too. On the road against much better talent. You may be right that they will be really good, but there is room for concern.

The_Iceman

Look at the impact Gafford and Hall have made. Remember what Garland was ranked. He would be making a huge impact. A 6'5" guard who is explosive in the open court, can finish at the rim, and has a pretty good jump shot.

Guys lile Bailey and Jones are development projects that you hope can contribute big numbers consistently by year 3. Gafford, Hall, and Garland are year 1 contributors.

Cinco de Hogo

We better not lose very many of our "tough" OOC games or we will not have enough wins to make the tournament.  Can't lose sight of what those w/l means in the long run.

Starting next Friday every game is important for this team.

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 04, 2017, 11:15:31 am
Look at the impact Gafford and Hall have made. Remember what Garland was ranked. He would be making a huge impact. A 6'5" guard who is explosive in the open court, can finish at the rim, and has a pretty good jump shot.

Guys lile Bailey and Jones are development projects that you hope can contribute big numbers consistently by year 3. Gafford, Hall, and Garland are year 1 contributors.

I agree but I hate when people lean too much on what someone was ranked. Anton Beard was ranked around the same as what Khalil was...

JayHog

Quote from: Pinto on November 04, 2017, 12:25:26 pm
I agree but I hate when people lean too much on what someone was ranked. Anton Beard was ranked around the same as what Khalil was...

Good point

Letsroll1200

When is Dustin Thomas returning? We need some help at the 4.

Pinto

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 04, 2017, 01:05:16 pm

Exhibition games don't count towards his suspension. Hopefully we'll have him by Bucknell

King Kong

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 04, 2017, 01:05:16 pm

I believe it's the OU game

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Pinto on November 04, 2017, 12:25:26 pm

I saw Khalil in person when El Dorado played Parkview in the Rumble on the Ridge and I saw Beard years earlier at the same tournament. I ranked them with my eyes and clearly Khalil was better coming out of high school.

In that El Dorado v Parkview game with Khalil, Ethan, Javon and Moody going hard against Gafford and Perry for bragging rights, it was a thrill a minute.

Khalil has such a great motor and he is a fearless slasher who finishes well at the rim (an Anton weakness). Plus he brings more athleticism, length and speed. There is a great case to be made that Khalil should have been ranked higher by the recruiting services. Hope we get to see it on the floor this year.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Pinto

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 04, 2017, 02:31:18 pm
I saw Khalil in person when El Dorado played Parkview in the Rumble on the Ridge and I saw Beard years earlier at the same tournament. I ranked them with my eyes and clearly Khalil was better coming out of high school.

In that El Dorado v Parkview game with Khalil, Ethan, Javon and Moody going hard against Gafford and Perry for bragging rights, it was a thrill a minute.

Khalil has such a great motor and he is a fearless slasher who finishes well at the rim (an Anton weakness). Plus he brings more athleticism, length and speed. There is a great case to be made that Khalil should have been ranked higher by the recruiting services. Hope we get to see it on the floor this year.

I agree with your personal evaluation I was just saying I hate when people lean on a numerical ranking system to predict how good a player will be. There are way too many variables that influence those ranking systems on top of the additional variables that determines how productive a player will be in college

Pigasaurus

I would like to see Beard making threes like he did before the incident.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

hawginbigd1

I listened to the MW broadcast and they were fawning all over Hall and Gafford, of course they were complimentary of Macon and Barford, but they were really impressed by the athleticism of the 2 freshmen. It sounds as though we are going to need to rely heavily on their defensive play. Beard let's face it is probably the best perimeter defender we have and I would never call him a stopper. Macon and Barford are ok when they are interested in playing defense, Jones is too scared to make a mistake to play good in our system. We may have to be a zone team without the freshman on the floor.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 04, 2017, 02:31:18 pm

This is spot on. Garland just fit the team. He's does not have to score to impact the game and he is a unselfish player, sometimes to a fault. However, I thought Beard played his role in the second exhibition game. I think he only attempted 6-8 shots but he did have 5 turnovers.

Knot2brite

The fact that Thomas and Cook are who we are having to depend on in the low post for scoring and defense scares the seeet bejesus out of me. Having watched both I can say that they could possibly be a temporary answer for a couple minutes during a game but they are not consistent enough at either scoring nor defense to hang a hat on. Bailey is erratic at times and Thompson is a role player. I watched Gafford play against Arkansas high here in Texarkana last year and he dunked everything in sight but Arkansas high used two 6'6" guys on him and fouled him out in the second half because he was trying to swat every shot in the paint to Arkadelphia and he didn't use his feet very well that night. I hope that he has honed his fundamental skills in the low post to play defense at least. We don't need lumbering 7 footers who can't move but having a pair of 6'8-6'10 kids with some beef that can move would be nice. But I keep hearing that the game has changed where we don't need them any more. We shall see come mid December
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Pinto

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 05, 2017, 02:09:43 pm
I listened to the MW broadcast and they were fawning all over Hall and Gafford, of course they were complimentary of Macon and Barford, but they were really impressed by the athleticism of the 2 freshmen. It sounds as though we are going to need to rely heavily on their defensive play. Beard let's face it is probably the best perimeter defender we have and I would never call him a stopper. Macon and Barford are ok when they are interested in playing defense, Jones is too scared to make a mistake to play good in our system. We may have to be a zone team without the freshman on the floor.

Beard is definitely not the best perimeter defender we have. Hall is by far

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: Pinto on November 05, 2017, 03:18:23 pm
Beard is definitely not the best perimeter defender we have. Hall is by far
Hall will be guarding Kevin Knox and Michael Porter Jr. this year. Hopefully he can hold his own.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Pinto

Quote from: ADavisTheGOAT on November 05, 2017, 03:21:34 pm
Hall will be guarding Kevin Knox and Michael Porter Jr. this year. Hopefully he can hold his own.

With his athleticism and defensive tenacity, he has a better chance of slowing them down than anyone we've had in a while

parallaxpig

Quote from: lynbug on November 04, 2017, 10:36:09 am
Is that looking like a possibility?  Earlier I the year we were talking about how much we will need 4th-year senior experience (because they are the only two of them) from Thompson and Beard.  If we don't get that.....along with a short bench..... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Garland may never get medical clearance. We assume Cook will survive his legal issues.  Hopefully Thomas will act like a senior and get off suspension.

Porked Tongue

Thomas will need to learn to pass a certain test before we can count on him.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Porked Tongue on November 05, 2017, 04:48:10 pm
we counted on him all last year
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

rzrbackramsfan

ohhh, did he fail a test before?  Bet that's why he went Colorado.

NWAHog479

We definitely looked rusty, but Macon and Barford are playing well which is a positive and I think Hall & Gafford are ahead of where I thought they would be. Just disappointed so far in the development of Jones and Bailey. Tough to grade much off of the preseason especially with Thomas and Cook not playing, we were really struggling with depth.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: NWAHog479 on November 06, 2017, 08:35:46 am
We definitely looked rusty, but Macon and Barford are playing well which is a positive and I think Hall & Gafford are ahead of where I thought they would be. Just disappointed so far in the development of Jones and Bailey. Tough to grade much off of the preseason especially with Thomas and Cook not playing, we were really struggling with depth.

Jones just need to get on the court and gain confidence playing at this level. Bailey is just trying to find himself as a basketball player. He's athletic but not as skilled. I think Bailey is going to be up and down until he improve his skills as a basketball player. Bailey should be a defensive and rebounding machine until he develops a offensive game. Bailey need to understand that you can impact the game without scoring double figures every night.

onebadrubi

Is that the kind you study real hard for right before a new job?  Requires good aim to hit the cup?

hogsanity

Very worried about our perimeter defense.

That is a problem every year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 10:00:23 am
That is a problem every year.
84th out of 347. Top 75% of NCAA D1 basketball. Not great but not horrible.