Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Will We Start the New Season?

Started by Fan701, November 05, 2017, 01:20:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fan701

November 05, 2017, 01:20:41 pm Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:31:17 pm by Fan701
I think ultimately we are going to be a very good team this year, but I feel very uneasy at the season's start.  I expect Macon and Barford to be two of the best we've ever had, but we badly need help at the 4.  The suspensions of Thomas and Cook might really hurt us in the early going.  We'll start the season seriously lacking depth.  I'm not sure Bailey is ready for the job as starter, and I question whether CJ Jones is yet a credible replacement for Hannahs.  On the other hand I'm excited about Gafford.  The teams we face in the next week, Samford and Bucknell, might have no name recognition, but they are good teams.  Scott Padgett was a nemesis of ours when he played for Kentucky, and he seems to be a first-rate coach for Samford, which won 20 games last year.  Bucknell gave W. Virginia all they wanted in the NCAA tournament last year and were tops in their conference.  We're not starting the season against cupcakes by any means.  Macon and Barford can do a lot, but they're going to need help, and, so far, except for Gafford I'm not sure from where they're going to get it.

lynbug

Right now (very early) I'm most worried about our depth.  We will also suffer if a couple of 4th year seniors don't provide much needed leadership.  But, on the other hand we have most of our scoring back from last year as well as Gafford so.....time will tell.  At least we have four months to make adjustments.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: lynbug on November 05, 2017, 01:35:31 pm
Right now (very early) I'm most worried about our depth.  We will also suffer if a couple of 4th year seniors don't provide much needed leadership.  But, on the other hand we have most of our scoring back from last year as well as Gafford so.....time will tell.  At least we have four months to make adjustments.

Depth is a real concern. I expect a slow start because of suspensions and health issues.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Fan701

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 05, 2017, 01:47:34 pm
Depth is a real concern. I expect a slow start because of suspensions and health issues.
I think you're right.  We might end up being a great team, but right now I'm worried.  I don't doubt Macon and Barford are going to be stars, but my hopes for the season were based on much improved play from guys like Cook and Thomas at the 4, and a break-out year for CJ Jones.  These things may yet happen, but I don't feel comfortable about it at the moment.  I fear that no Cook and Thomas is really going to hurt us in the OOC early going.  No Garland worries me too.  At present this is a very short-handed team, I think.

Hawg Red

It's going to be a rocky non-conference slate. This has always been a program under Anderson that seems to take that first half of the season to figure out who they really are (I suppose that is true of a lot of programs but it's definitely true here). You could even say Anderson's teams need their back against the wall to show their true strength. They need to hit a point in the season where they get popped in the mouth and taste some blood. Now we're looking at a short roster so you can definitely expect some early losses. I said we'd lose to Bucknell back before we had suspensions and Garland not cleared. That loss looks even more likely now. I won't worry until I see a team that isn't fighting or isn't competitive. I still think we're in that 19-22 win range in the regular season. In this season's SEC, that's good enough for an at-large bid without having to do much of anything in the SECT, IMO. But, yeah, it looks like we will be tested a little more than anticipated early with the suspensions and Garland not being able to go.

rude1

Don't really know what to expect from this team. Not even sure this is a tourney team. We have two players that will be constants, the other 3 positions on the floor will be hit n miss. They turn it over a ton and for a team that has to win the TO battle nightly to be good, that is NOT a good sign.

Hogsolo

It'll probably be like last year with a hard time integrating the kids.   I like MA's half court offense, but it usually takes half a season to get it going when you have so much inexperience in the lineup.

PonderinHog

Gotta learn to crawl before you learn to walk before you run.  Let the games begin!

Hogimus Prime

It will be rocky to start.  MA is having to replace 3 seniors that were major contributors, two of his 3 power forwards are suspended, one of the talented freshman is not medically cleared to play.  I think my conference time this team will start to click.

draftkings33

Bucknell is very very good guys.  Definetely worried about that one

Danny J

Gonna struggle with Samford. I hope the players take them seriously...

draftkings33

Quote from: Danny J on November 07, 2017, 09:13:52 am
Don't know much on them.  After the struggles in the first two games we better take everyone seriously

daprospecta

We should out talent Samford.  In previous years, we would have to depend on our style of play to wear down a team like Samford. We have talent on our roster now.  Even if our style of play doesn't wear them down, the talent discrepancy will show.

Pinto

We'll struggle with Bucknell more...even though Bucknell lost an exhibition game to Towson