Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We're just not as good as I thought

Started by swinesation, January 18, 2018, 10:00:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

I was really excited about this team, haven't said anything negative about them all season. But it's clear to me now that we're just not as good as I thought. I turned the game off last night at halftime. That's a bad sign. Remember when many were saying we might have the best combo of two guards in the SEC? They're not saying that anymore. We have two very good basketball players in Barford and Gafford. The rest of the team are either good athletes who aren't good basketball players or good basketball players who aren't good athletes.

We've lost the last 4 of 5 in the SEC. We barely beat Tennessee and MO at home. We will end up with a losing record in the SEC. That'll keep us out of the NCAA tourney.

The only good I can see right now is that Gafford has come down to earth, and there's a good chance he will be back next season. He'll be a total beast next season, but our guard situation is going to be scary. No one currently playing is SEC caliber at handling the ball. Hopefully Isaiah Joe and Embery are ready to play. Hopefully Jalen Harris will make a big difference. Maybe Garland will be able to play. Maybe the rumors about Justice Hill coming early are true.

If those hopefully's and maybe's all come true, we could be pretty good next year. If none of them come true, it's going to be a brutal season.

Nickle-Pig

Now I think we will be a bubble team if anything.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

hvsupastar

1 point guard away from being really good.  We'll be ok but not going to make a deep run or anything
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

jkstock04

I'm in the same boat...I actually allowed myself to get a tad excited about basketball this year. That's something I haven't done in years...and of course it's all come crashing down. I really thought we were going to be a good shooting, fast, salty team. Goes to show how little I know about basketball...because we are the opposite of that. We must've just been playing way above our heads with tons of dumb luck at the beginning of the year. This now looks like same ole same ole Mike Anderson. It's getting time to call a spade a spade.

That LSU game is 4 hours of my life I'll never get back...completely miserable. I would've had an equal amount of fun being locked in solitary confinement staring at a wall for 4 hours. I've currently got tickets to two other home games (that I without doubt over paid for when market was up) and I absolutely don't want to go...but I will because I've already bought and paid for them.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 18, 2018, 10:57:52 am
I'm in the same boat...I actually allowed myself to get a tad excited about basketball this year. That's something I haven't done in years...and of course it's all come crashing down. I really thought we were going to be a good shooting, fast, salty team. Goes to show how little I know about basketball...because we are the opposite of that. We must've just been playing way above our heads with tons of dumb luck at the beginning of the year. This now looks like same ole same ole Mike Anderson. It's getting time to call a spade a spade.

That LSU game is 4 hours of my life I'll never get back...completely miserable. I would've had an equal amount of fun being locked in solitary confinement staring at a wall for 4 hours. I've currently got tickets to two other home games (that I without doubt over paid for when market was up) and I absolutely don't want to go...but I will because I've already bought and paid for them.
I wasn't too excited about the team going in, because I knew we were thin, and we'd be relying on the 3 senior guards way too much. Then Gafford and Jones shined early in the season, Hall looked good, and suddenly I was really excited! These past 5 games have been real disappointing. I still think we can make a run in the conference at some point, but I don't think this team can go anywhere in the NCAA Tourney.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Beaverfever

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 18, 2018, 10:44:58 am
1 point guard away from being really good.  We'll be ok but not going to make a deep run or anything
When's the last time MA utilized a true point guard? 

PonderinHog

Cotton

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Wild Bill Hog

No, we aren't.  7 years in with a coach and a team with 6 seniors should be a team to fear.  Instead we have a team other teams look forward to playing.

moses_007

This team is horrible, can't score and can't defend.  Very similar to the m.o. of our football team.  We aint nothing but a track school.

Busta_Nutt

This team really misses Hannahs. The lack of a true, pure-shooting 3 guard is absolutely killing us. And defense, or lack thereof...

batmanfan

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 18, 2018, 10:44:58 am

Have you seen our forwards?
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

3kgthog

Quote from: moses_007 on January 18, 2018, 01:04:44 pm
This team is horrible, can't score and can't defend.  Very similar to the m.o. of our football team.  We aint nothing but a track school.

We aren't really a track school anymore either. Other schools are winning the big trophy while we're stuck polishing the SEC trophy.

Breems

I bet many SEC coaches would love to trade rosters with us. There's a lot of talent on this team. We do have 2 of the best guards in the SEC, Gafford is great as a freshman, and there's a decent crop of role players around them.

Somewhere in the coaching, chemistry, etc., the talent is being wasted. It's sad.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

texhog

If things don't turn around, this team will finish 13th in the SEC just ahead of Vandy.  Also a pretty good OSU team is coming to town next week and will likely thump us too.  Boy this season is quickly becoming a bust.

jjdlc

This team is better than they've played the past few weeks,  showed a ton of potential in some of those early games.  However, right now there is a serious chemistry issue going on.  Last year Mika was able to reign the egos in and get them back on track, we'll see if he can do it again.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: jjdlc on January 18, 2018, 01:18:14 pm
This team is better than they've played the past few weeks,  showed a ton of potential in some of those early games.  However, right now there is a serious chemistry issue going on.  Last year Mika was able to reign the egos in and get them back on track, we'll see if he can do it again.

It better happen this week, or you can take the 'L' out of lover.

HotlantaHog

I agree. The team is not as good as I thought. Something about the losses from last year -- Dusty Hannahs, Moses Kingsley, Manny Watkins -- wasn't replaced in this group.

Maybe the chemistry comes together later in the year, and Mike's teams have tended to gel in February and March .... but right now, they look like a bubble team. Or maybe NIT.

alohawg

Quote from: moses_007 on January 18, 2018, 01:04:44 pm

It's street ball, not much set plays on offense, just guards taking turns playing one on one while everyone else watches.
Defense is chase the ball with little communication/switching creating open looks and mismatches.
In short, it's like they coach themselves.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

HF#1

Quote from: alohawg on January 18, 2018, 03:39:55 pm
It's street ball, not much set plays on offense, just guards taking turns playing one on one while everyone else watches.
Defense is chase the ball with little communication/switching creating open looks and mismatches.

We play pick up games, the other schools play basketball.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: alohawg on January 18, 2018, 03:39:55 pm

May very well be the only coaching they get.

alohawg

Quote from: HF#1 on January 18, 2018, 03:40:40 pm
We play pick up games, the other schools play basketball.

It's sad to watch Mike do his best Nolan impersonation and fall miserably short. He has much of it down minus the results.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

razorhead94

Quote from: batmanfan on January 18, 2018, 01:09:43 pm
Have you seen our forwards?

This....our forwards are so passive once we reached SEC play.  They aren't aggressive to the basket, make terrible passes and don't even make attempts to rebound in position.

Bailey has been the lone bright spot I believe but he is undersized against bigger teams.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

hawgtime

Quote from: swinesation on January 18, 2018, 10:00:21 am
I was really excited about this team, haven't said anything negative about them all season. But it's clear to me now that we're just not as good as I thought. I turned the game off last night at halftime. That's a bad sign. Remember when many were saying we might have the best combo of two guards in the SEC? They're not saying that anymore. We have two very good basketball players in Barford and Gafford. The rest of the team are either good athletes who aren't good basketball players or good basketball players who aren't good athletes.

We've lost the last 4 of 5 in the SEC. We barely beat Tennessee and MO at home. We will end up with a losing record in the SEC. That'll keep us out of the NCAA tourney.

The only good I can see right now is that Gafford has come down to earth, and there's a good chance he will be back next season. He'll be a total beast next season, but our guard situation is going to be scary. No one currently playing is SEC caliber at handling the ball. Hopefully Isaiah Joe and Embery are ready to play. Hopefully Jalen Harris will make a big difference. Maybe Garland will be able to play. Maybe the rumors about Justice Hill coming early are true.

If those hopefully's and maybe's all come true, we could be pretty good next year. If none of them come true, it's going to be a brutal season.

we keep using that as an excuse.  We are senior laden and will be starting over AGAIN next year.

LRHawg

We actually played some good defense earlier in the season. I don't know if it's just Macon not going 100% and Beard/Barford having issues with their game, but something is definitely up. Mike figured out a way to fix it last year, will he do it this year?

hawginbigd1

Macon, Thomas, and Jones have been disappointing on both ends of the court in conference play. You add that to missing Garland, and having a wing player in Hall who doesn't believe in his shot, and you are correct we are not as good as we thought we were. Macon has to play better defense as well as Barford, and Macon has to get 18-20 a night which I thought was a given, but not so much in conference. Macon and Jones are our 2 best shooters and they have been horrible in conference. I think the biggest issue overall is there is no Team leadership, and too much individual play.

Hawg Red

Until this recent losing streak, we were better than I thought we'd be. So which team are we? That's the question. Let's not jump to conclusions. We were never going to win at Florida, though we should have won at Starkville and beat LSU at home (certainly not lose by 20). I think there is a very winnable 3-game stretch coming up that will most likely show me who this team really is, and at that point, I'll make my mind up about this team.

311Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on January 19, 2018, 10:06:03 am
Until this recent losing streak, we were better than I thought we'd be. So which team are we? That's the question. Let's not jump to conclusions. We were never going to win at Florida, though we should have won at Starkville and beat LSU at home (certainly not lose by 20). I think there is a very winnable 3-game stretch coming up that will most likely show me who this team really is, and at that point, I'll make my mind up about this team.

i agree here i mean we have a win on a neutral court against what is currently the No. 4 team in the country with one of the best players in the country on it.   I to cannot place what the issue is, it feels like a chemistry issue to me like there is some kind of rift in the team they do not seem to share the ball as much as they use to.

99toLife

The ugly fact is when we lose we get HAMMERED, If the majority of our losses in the SEC were 5pts or less and things didn't go our way in the last 3 minutes I would be much happier with this team and pissed at the same time .  But reality is we are not competitive in most of our losses. Mike's history is a telling sign of inconsistency.

swinesation

Quote from: Breems on January 18, 2018, 01:16:29 pm
I bet many SEC coaches would love to trade rosters with us. There's a lot of talent on this team. We do have 2 of the best guards in the SEC, Gafford is great as a freshman, and there's a decent crop of role players around them.

Somewhere in the coaching, chemistry, etc., the talent is being wasted. It's sad.

Have you seen Daryl Macon play the last four games????

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: swinesation on January 19, 2018, 06:22:16 pm
Have you seen Daryl Macon play the last four games????
yeah buddy, sure have and I have a theory that no one wants to hear
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

deserthog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 19, 2018, 07:47:32 pm

We heard it and I hope you're wrong. I will, however, be watching Mr. Macon very closely tomorrow afternoon.

hawgtime

Quote from: Breems on January 18, 2018, 01:16:29 pm

I agree.  WE should be doing better.  not enough passing for open shots or cuts.  too much selfishness.

where is the coaching?

la20688

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 19, 2018, 07:47:32 pm
That's ridiculous! He's been our leading assist guy the last few games and probably close to our top rebounder as well. I can't believe I'm still reading you sores this nonsense.

GoHogs1091

We have run into better overall opposing head coaching in the SEC.  That is a part of the problem.

Very lucky to have won against Barnes.
Howland may be a top 5 in the nation in-game bench coach.
Wade is a good coach.
White is a good coach.

jvanhorn

If someone would go back and look at the records of Anderson at MO and then here you would see that these are pretty typical Anderson teams.  Good to very good, but not excellent.  He will have a winning record that is he will win more than he will lose, but I am pretty sure Bill Self at Kansas didn't lose any sleep worrying about Misssouri.  In fact even Wichita State was better most likely.  Pretty sure Kentucky isn't exactly shaking in their boots either.  He is what he is.  A good to very good coach, but not an elite one.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: deserthog on January 19, 2018, 08:20:58 pm
We heard it and I hope you're wrong. I will, however, be watching Mr. Macon very closely tomorrow afternoon.
still, 7 games into the SEC and the Hogs haven't covered...I suppose stranger things have happened

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: la20688 on January 19, 2018, 09:14:26 pm
That's ridiculous! He's been our leading assist guy the last few games and probably close to our top rebounder as well. I can't believe I'm still reading you sores this nonsense.
You just don't understand the process, no one in his right mind would make it so obvious that it just jumps out of the screen at you. One can get into trouble for these types of things. Again, I said I hope I'm wrong because this guy was/could be again, my favorite Hog. I take no pleasure in giving an honest opinion that is not positive. I really don't. The UA has, over the years, has been as clean as a program can be even as others about us in the SEC are dirtier than our mascot's behind after a roll in the slop.

Rynohog

HawgsPolo

What's your wager on a losing record??
Go Cubs Go!!!!!