Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To the Fire Jeff Long crowd

Started by theFlyingHog, October 22, 2017, 06:33:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

theFlyingHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 22, 2017, 12:40:40 pm
So Long proves he is a great AD by firing the $4 million per year coach he hired, and giving him several million more as a parting gift?  That's it?  That makes 12-32 in SEC games since the start of the 2012 season... after we went 12-4 the previous two seasons...alright?

Jeff gets to keep making his millions because he fires a terrible coach now that the life has been choked out of the program by his last two hires?  Meanwhile the fans who have lived through this abomination are expected to say, "Yes, sir, may I have another"? 

Isn't that convenient for ol' Jeff.  He gets to hold Bielema accountable for his failure.  One question, though.  Who holds Jeff accountable?

The members of the board aren't as naive as a lot of people.  They know that mere membership in the SEC produces the dollars that allow Arkansas to make money on athletics.  Frank Broyles made the decision that put us in this position.  Long has merely ridden his coattails from a financial perspective while destroying the bell cow program on the field.
Idgaf about jeff long. I watch football and basketball and he coaches neither. I'm fine with where basketball is so CMA is good in my book. The football team sucks so the HC needs to go. That's ALL I care about. If y'all want to whine about the AD then continue until your fingers fall off. If he hires another crappy football coach, well, that sucks. there ain't nothing I can do about it but there are people who can and will fire him if he can't get another winning coach.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on October 22, 2017, 09:51:37 am
Blind eye? We're you demanding his firing after these occurrences???

I didn't want the guy hired in the first place.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Cylinder

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 22, 2017, 10:20:35 am... half of y'all are trolls, half think Long is a Yankee here to screw us over(morons) and half of y'all are ignorant...

Errrr....I can't find my slide rule.

Augustus

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 22, 2017, 06:33:55 am
I will join you if CBB is retained after this disaster of a season. But for now you all look very ignorant. Long is doing a very good job and doing it the right way. He will not make Arkansas a place where coaches are afraid to come. You're right, the BB hire has turned out to disastrous but it WAS a good hire at the time. Long hasn't fired BB yet because he wants to be able to hire a respectable coach and that won't happen if everyone knows they won't be given a fair shake here. We may be getting laughed at but the only reason is wins and losses, not motorcycle wrecks with volleyball players and not because we fire coaches every three games. LONG WILL GET RID OF CBB, I promise.

I know some Long haters are just ignorant rednecks who think he is a carpetbagger; the rest of us will just continue to laugh at you.

Firstly, I was in disbelief when I read that bit about "not getting a fair shake"... in what universe? Bret is in his 5th year here, and he's been getting paid several Millions each year as our Coach.

Arkansas isn't just "losing games"... we're setting single game and multiple game, School & SEC records for how bad we're losing games. 

If there's a Coach or an AD that thinks that isn't "getting a fair shake"... I don't want them at the UofA because they would be an idiot for thinking so.

Now... to the larger question of Jeff Long getting fired if he keeps Bielema on, if this horrible losing streak continues.  I absolutely agree.  Long & Bielema should be fired.  Bielema for his on-field performance, Long for refusing to address it... especially after the recent bombshell that Bielema's buyout is about 1/3rd what everyone thought it cost.

But... I also want Jeff Long fired, immediately, for several other reasons.
1) First and foremost, I don't want Jeff Long making any more 5-10 year commitments on behalf of the UofA.

2) Jeff Long agreed to that idiot contract, for us to play an SEC West division opponent on the road for a decade (Jerry's World).  We haven't beaten A&M since they joined the SEC. 3 of those losses were in Overtime at Jerry's World. I would bet if we were playing at DWRRS, we win at least one of those Overtime games (or, we don't ever let it get to Overtime)

3) The stadium expansion. Yes, I wanted the North Endzone wrapped, but spending $160 Million to only add 3,000 seats is ridiculous.  We've taken the last real estate of DWRRS that could be renovated, and we have ensured we will always be in the bottom tier of stadium in terms of capacity.

4) "Mr. Honor & Integrity"... he got that title when he did the right thing by firing Petrino. 
But, let's go back to Bielema's buyout. Recently we all learned that Bret's buyout isn't nearly as big as has been reported by local, state, and national writers... since February, 2015. 

"Mr. Honor & Integrity" knowingly let every sportswriter perpetuate an incorrect fact about Bret's buyout, for over two years... because it suited his agenda for as long as it could.  As long as people are reporting "Jeff Long can't afford to fire Bret, because buyout"... then Jeff Long doesn't have to worry about it, personally.

5) Mediocre (Mike Anderson) to horrible (Jimmy Dykes) coaching hires for the Basketball programs.  I think Mike Anderson gets this year to show he can win an SEC Championship or get us past the 2nd round of the Dance.  Past that? Mike A should be gone, and if there's any question in Jeff Long's mind about it, that's just another reason Jeff should be gone too.

6) The Pepsi deal (ok... I threw that in sarcastically)

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on October 22, 2017, 01:06:36 pm

Nobody would take the job.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Augustus on October 22, 2017, 01:51:14 pm
Firstly, I was in disbelief when I read that bit about "not getting a fair shake"... in what universe? Bret is in his 5th year here, and he's been getting paid several Millions each year as our Coach.

Arkansas isn't just "losing games"... we're setting single game and multiple game, School & SEC records for how bad we're losing games. 

If there's a Coach or an AD that thinks that isn't "getting a fair shake"... I don't want them at the UofA because they would be an idiot for thinking so.

Now... to the larger question of Jeff Long getting fired if he keeps Bielema on, if this horrible losing streak continues.  I absolutely agree.  Long & Bielema should be fired.  Bielema for his on-field performance, Long for refusing to address it... especially after the recent bombshell that Bielema's buyout is about 1/3rd what everyone thought it cost.

1) First and foremost, I don't want Jeff Long make any more 5-10 year commitments on behalf of the UofA.

2) Jeff Long agreed to that idiot contract, for us to play an SEC West division opponent on the road for a decade (Jerry's World).  We haven't beaten A&M since they joined the SEC. 3 of those losses were in Overtime at Jerry's World. I would bet if we were playing at DWRRS, we win at least one of those Overtime games (or, we don't ever let it get to Overtime)

3) The stadium expansion. Yes, I wanted the North Endzone wrapped, but spending $160 Million to only add 3,000 seats is ridiculous.  We've taken the last real estate of DWRRS that could be renovated, and we have ensured we will always be in the bottom tier of stadium in terms of capacity.

4) "Mr. Honor & Integrity"... he got that title when he did the right thing by firing Petrino. 
But, let's go back to Bielema's buyout. Recently we all learned that Bret's buyout isn't nearly as big as has been reported by local, state, and national writers... since February, 2015. 

"Mr. Honor & Integrity" knowingly let every sportswriter perpetuate an incorrect fact about Bret's buyout, for over two years... because it suited his agenda for as long as it could.  As long as people are reporting "Jeff Long can't afford to fire Bret, because buyout"... then Jeff Long doesn't have to worry about it, personally.

5) Mediocre (Mike Anderson) to horrible (Jimmy Dykes) coaching hires for the Basketball programs.  I think Mike Anderson gets this year to show he can win an SEC Championship or get us past the 2nd round of the Dance.  Past that? Mike A should be gone, and if there's any question in Jeff Long's mind about it, that's just another reason Jeff should be gone too.

6) The Pepsi deal (ok... I threw that in sarcastically)

I'm not much of a fan of JL...but,
It's not the AD's responsibility to read the contract, which is public information, to the state's journalists. They could have taken the time to read it well before 2-3 weeks ago.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

island hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 22, 2017, 07:48:41 am
The idea that a hire that five years later has resulted in a 10-26 conference record and turning a program that was six years ago a contender to play for the national championship a "good" one is preposterous.  The only people who really look silly are the ones trying to push that revisionist history.

Long is a football moron.  Like Bielema, he lacks comprehension of what it takes for Arkansas to win in the SEC.  He thought John L. Smith could succeed coaching a preseason top ten team, and he thought the Big Ten coach known as the number one ground and pound proponent in America was going to field a bunch of fat guys and run over the SEC with Arkansas talent. 

Long has no clue.  If he picked a coach who ended up being successful it would be a case of nothing but pure luck.  His hires have resulted in the total destruction of Arkansas football.  Why in the world would anyone want to see him make another one? 

Clean house and start over.  We can find another geeky bean counter to stack up SEC money, and he couldn't possibly do a worse job of putting together a competitive football program.
how many here would have called for Long's head if he had passed on a coach, who openly wanted the job, who had BB's credentials.  HV would have gone crazy

HoggyCat

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 22, 2017, 01:56:45 pm
It's not the AD's responsibility to read the contract, which is public information, to the state's journalists. They could have taken the time to read it well before 2-3 weeks ago.

But you can bet he & his minions will take full credit for the buyout dropping by 65%!!

All in the name of self preservation!
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HoggyCat

Quote from: island hog on October 22, 2017, 02:00:48 pm
how many here would have called for Long's head if he had passed on a coach, who openly wanted the job, who had BB's credentials.  HV would have gone crazy

Go look up Bert's Wisconsin credentials and get back with me. I think you'll see it wasn't as impressive as many think. But most favs are sheep that take whatever Jeffi & the media sell them.

hogblitz

Quote from: ricepig on October 22, 2017, 09:48:09 am
Ur going to be disappointed.
IMO, Long will not be solely responsible for making the next hire.  There will be a lot of influence by others.  No way, the PTB are going to risk another bad hire.  I think it will be a collective effort.  Especially with all the losses that are mounting up.  What say ye?

Augustus

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 22, 2017, 01:56:45 pm

I understand that. And, they all did read it. As recently reported... it took the Ar Dem-Zet to pay either in-house or 3rd party lawyers to read it & translate it.

Should the Ar Dem-Zet have done that, the day after the contract was released to the public? Sure

My point is: Jeff Long allowed for over 2 years for not only Hog Fans but the Nation to be mislead about the terms of Bret's buyout. And, clearly, it was because it suited his agenda.

And, THAT, doesn't exactly scream "Mr. Honor and Integrity"

Pork Twain

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 22, 2017, 10:10:46 am
Yet none of you Jeffi lovers can give just one legitimate reason he should stay.

One positive thing jars 100% him.

Just one.
Waste of breath with those that will just make up some lame excuse as to why he does not get credit for it.  Other than on poor coaching hire in a sport people actually care about, that at the time of the hire looked like a steal, what has he done wrong.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HoggyCat

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 22, 2017, 10:03:16 pm
Waste of breath with those that will just make up some lame excuse as to why he does not get credit for it.  Other than on poor coaching hire in a sport people actually care about, that at the time of the hire looked like a steal, what has he done wrong.

Rape. Voyeurism. Failing to thoroughly investigate an abusive volleyball coach. JLS.  Bert. Hanging on to Pelphrey too long. Twisting facts to garner support to fire Petrino.

Need me to keep going?

hogfan58

I will join you if CBB is retained after this disaster of a season. But for now you all look very ignorant. Long is doing a very good job and doing it the right way. He will not make Arkansas a place where coaches are afraid to come

Of course they will want to come here if they get $15 million buyouts in their contracts.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

hogcard1964

October 23, 2017, 06:05:46 am #64 Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 07:38:06 am by hogcard1964
Quote from: HoggyCat on October 22, 2017, 07:38:51 am
And since he's doing such a wonderful job, tell me where..... what's he doing that's worthy of all this praise.

I've heard the same talking points that he's "doing a great job" and is "respected" by "fill in the group name".  Whenever I've asked why or what exactly what has he done to warrant any praise, I never get an answer. 

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Augustus on October 22, 2017, 02:18:15 pm
I understand that. And, they all did read it. As recently reported... it took the Ar Dem-Zet to pay either in-house or 3rd party lawyers to read it & translate it.

Should the Ar Dem-Zet have done that, the day after the contract was released to the public? Sure

My point is: Jeff Long allowed for over 2 years for not only Hog Fans but the Nation to be mislead about the terms of Bret's buyout. And, clearly, it was because it suited his agenda.

And, THAT, doesn't exactly scream "Mr. Honor and Integrity"
What is his agenda regarding everyone being "mislead"?

Inhogswetrust

Coaching hires are one of the most important parts of an AD's job. Knowing the best time to make a change without letting emotions enter into it is also. I think almost anyone would not have a problem with a change being made after the season or if he lost to CC. Rarely is it good to make a change during a season. But some losses are so bad it is practically unavoidable.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on October 22, 2017, 01:06:36 pm

Than that's a good reason to have hired him.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HoggyCat

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 23, 2017, 06:05:46 am
I've heard the same talking points that he's "doing a great job" and is "respected" by "fill in the group name".  Whenever I've asked why or what exactly has he done, I never get an answer.

And you won't. They cite the "top 5 AD" article, but that was before the debacle we're in now; and anyone with a football IQ above JLS should've seen this coming. Not only that, some of THIS fan base turn a blind eye to the truth of what Jeffi is, so you KNOW the outside media will.  They don't have time to 'fact check' that self-preservationist.

HoggyCat

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogwild on October 22, 2017, 09:21:00 am
I have no confidence in Long make the right decision and firing CBB.  However if he does pull the trigger I have no confidence that he will make a good hire.

So you have some confidence in one decison but not another. That describes about 99% of most decision makers. Nobody makes perfect decisions all the time. What you look for is a pattern of constant bad decisions. He has made both good ones and bad ones. All employees and especially all bosses do.

Inhogswetrust

HoggyCat

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 23, 2017, 06:41:40 am
So you have some confidence in one decison but not another. That describes about 99% of most decision makers. Nobody makes perfect decisions all the time. What you look for is a pattern of constant bad decisions. He has made both good ones and bad ones. All employees and especially all bosses do.

He hasn't made a perfect decision YET!!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Cylinder on October 22, 2017, 01:12:07 pm
Errrr....I can't find my slide rule.
Perhaps those circles of jerks overlap just a bit...

Pork Twain

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 22, 2017, 10:11:00 pm
Rape. Voyeurism. Failing to thoroughly investigate an abusive volleyball coach. JLS.  Bert. Hanging on to Pelphrey too long. Twisting facts to garner support to fire Petrino.

Need me to keep going?
Well yes, since most of that is made up.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Pork Twain

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 23, 2017, 06:24:35 am
My question to the joker you quoted, was the contract not available to the media and lawyers before now?

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hogblitz on October 22, 2017, 02:14:30 pm
IMO, Long will not be solely responsible for making the next hire.  There will be a lot of influence by others.  No way, the PTB are going to risk another bad hire.  I think it will be a collective effort.  Especially with all the losses that are mounting up.  What say ye?
A lot can happen in the next few weeks. The Board could shift to any of several directions. First, right now it looks like Jeff Long will be offered a new contract. If he signs it. Then I believe he will not make a hire and keep Coach B. I believe if there are stipulations to his deal(Jeff Longs) where he is muzzled and others will ultimately make the hire, then I bet he don't sign it. I believe Long will win this round.

If not then its going to be exciting round here for a while.

Pork Twain

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 08:30:10 am
https://www.sbnation.com/2009/11/11/2312046/five-arkansas-players-suspended-amidst-accusations-of-rape

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/two-razorback-golfers-arrested-for-video-voyeurism/163830223

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/12/17/u-arkansas-volleyball-coach-resigns-after-letter-accuses-him-abuse

And the Petrino "investigation" is too deep to even try to put on here, but all you gotta do is look.
You have three instances in 9 years and you think that is something?  All of them handled as soon as they happened and none of them covered up.  Are you making a case for or against him?

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 22, 2017, 10:11:00 pm

Need me to keep going?

Rape ???

KennyForAD

I will join you if CBB is retained after this disaster of a season. But for now you all look very ignorant. Long is doing a very good job and doing it the right way. He will not make Arkansas a place where coaches are afraid to come. You're right, the BB hire has turned out to disastrous but it WAS a good hire at the time. Long hasn't fired BB yet because he wants to be able to hire a respectable coach and that won't happen if everyone knows they won't be given a fair shake here. We may be getting laughed at but the only reason is wins and losses, not motorcycle wrecks with volleyball players and not because we fire coaches every three games. LONG WILL GET RID OF CBB, I promise.

I know some Long haters are just ignorant rednecks who think he is a carpetbagger; the rest of us will just continue to  laugh at you.

That is an impossibility.  You just THOUGHT it was a good hire at the time, and can't acknowledge that you were wrong.   You now have the same problem with Jeff Long.  Since you once THOUGHT he was a great AD, you now can't let yourself see the truth. 

GROW UP. 

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Augustus on October 22, 2017, 01:51:14 pm

1) First and foremost, I don't want Jeff Long making any more 5-10 year commitments on behalf of the UofA.

2) Jeff Long agreed to that idiot contract, for us to play an SEC West division opponent on the road for a decade (Jerry's World).  We haven't beaten A&M since they joined the SEC. 3 of those losses were in Overtime at Jerry's World. I would bet if we were playing at DWRRS, we win at least one of those Overtime games (or, we don't ever let it get to Overtime) Jeff long should be fired for getting the Hogs a contract to play in one of if not the nicest new stadiums in the US in a recruit rich environment?

3) The stadium expansion. Yes, I wanted the North Endzone wrapped, but spending $160 Million to only add 3,000 seats is ridiculous.  We've taken the last real estate of DWRRS that could be renovated, and we have ensured we will always be in the bottom tier of stadium in terms of capacity. Stadiums are not being built to larger capacity any longer this is a result of declining attendance due to numerous factors across the board in college and professional athletics.  Stadium renovations at Arkansas and other places now focus on premium seating and accouterments and amenities for the fans.

"Mr. Honor & Integrity" knowingly let every sportswriter perpetuate an incorrect fact about Bret's buyout, for over two years... because it suited his agenda for as long as it could.  As long as people are reporting "Jeff Long can't afford to fire Bret, because buyout"... then Jeff Long doesn't have to worry about it, personally.  You want him fired for having honor and integrity? or for not hand holding everyone who didn't correctly read a public document.  It was reported correctly in February 2015, but people didn't note that it was changing on a monthly basis

5) Mediocre (Mike Anderson) to horrible (Jimmy Dykes) coaching hires for the Basketball programs.  I think Mike Anderson gets this year to show he can win an SEC Championship or get us past the 2nd round of the Dance.  Past that? Mike A should be gone, and if there's any question in Jeff Long's mind about it, that's just another reason Jeff should be gone too. Mike Anderson has proven to be a good hire. Jimmy Dykes was a splashy, but ultimately poor hire and was fired as a result [ /b]

6) The Pepsi deal (ok... I threw that in sarcastically)I almost agree with you on the Pepsi deal

hawgbawb

I think that Long is well-respected in CFB world and he is an asset when it comes to hiring a new coach.  You guys can beech and moan about him supporting Bielema for too long but that is probably seen as an asset for a new coach. 
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Augustus

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 23, 2017, 06:24:35 am

It's pretty obvious... if the entire nation thinks Bret's buyout is $15 Million, then everyone starts the conversation about Bielema's job with: "Jeff Long & the UofA can't realistically afford to fire Bielema"

Which, automatically, takes the heat off Jeff Long.  It's self-preservation on his part, and he knew it.

Now that Bret's contract has been shown to only include a $5 Million buyout? Even the National talking heads are no longer saying "Arkansas can't afford to fire Bielema"

...now, they're saying "who gets fired first? Bielema or Butch?"

And, if we keep this losing streak up? Jeff Long's seat gets exponentially hotter as well, if he does nothing.

Augustus

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 23, 2017, 10:09:42 am
Jeff long should be fired for getting the Hogs a contract to play in one of if not the nicest new stadiums in the US in a recruit rich environment?
First off, I didn't say he should be fired *just for that*... I said that's one of the reasons I want him fired.  For agreeing to play an SEC West Division opponent on the road, for a decade. 

It made more sense when A&M was in the Big12. Classic rivalry matchup with an old SWC opponent (we've historically dominated). Now? We're giving away another weekend we can't host official visits for recruits, on the UofA campus. Oh... and, we're playing an additional road game, against an SEC Division opponent.

Again: see the point above on whether we win at least 1 of last 3 overtime games vs A&M, if we're playing at home.

Also, Jerry's World is coming up on 10 years old. It's no longer "new". And, depending on the poll, it's also not the nicest.

Stadiums are not being built to larger capacity any longer this is a result of declining attendance due to numerous factors across the board in college and professional athletics.  Stadium renovations at Arkansas and other places now focus on premium seating and accouterments and amenities for the fans.

Texas A&M just spent almost $500 Million, to increase their capacity from 92K to 102K, and a vast overhaul of the entire stadium's facilities across the board (women's restroom fixtures 300%).

Arkansas is spending $160 Million on one  for 3K seats, and offices/admin/facilities... nothing that will help what is the obviously lacking amenities for the fans. The same crap bathrooms/concessions across the rest of the stadium, will benefit nothing from the expansion.

You want him fired for having honor and integrity? or for not hand holding everyone who didn't correctly read a public document.  It was reported correctly in February 2015, but people didn't note that it was changing on a monthly basis

You must have missed the point, he knowingly allowed everyone to be misled about Bielema's buyout... because every Local/State/National talking head thinking the UofA couldn't afford to fire Bret? ...takes the heat off of Jeff Long.

Should the Ark Dem-Zet dug further initially? Sure. But knowingly allowing an entire State of fans to be misled for over 2 years... doesn't exactly scream "Honor and Integrity"

Mike Anderson has proven to be a good hire. Jimmy Dykes was a splashy, but ultimately poor hire and was fired as a result

Jimmy Dykes was a "feel good" hire, but turned out to be horrible. Mike Anderson was also a "feel good" hire, and I wouldn't call him a "good hire"... mediocre. Again, Mike A has this year to prove he can get something done - whether it's an SEC Championship or getting past the 2nd round of the Dance.

I almost agree with you on the Pepsi deal

I think we all agree on the Pepsi deal.  Jeff Long wasn't the final decision, but he was heavily involved in the process.

He could make up for it by allowing beer/wine sales across all sections of DWRRS

Augustus

Quote from: hawgbawb on October 23, 2017, 06:58:50 pm
I think that Long is well-respected in CFB world and he is an asset when it comes to hiring a new coach.  You guys can beech and moan about him supporting Bielema for too long but that is probably seen as an asset for a new coach.

He's well respected in the CFB world, by people who have no investment in HIS CFB program.

And... how has the last 3 CFB coaches he's hired, turned out?

zuko

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 22, 2017, 07:37:23 am
So things such as rape, voyeurism and coaches telling players they're lucky he didn't punch them out of the gym don't bother you (all the while, preaching honor and integrity) but wins and losses do?   You're as two faced as Long.
Already said, but; How can you agree with an AD who hired Mike Anderson for Basketball which has made a couple of post season appearances in 6 years, and the Bielema who has a program going backwards after 5 years and don't forget ladies Basketball which hasn't had a chance in 7-8 years. As I have said before on this forum, you can't include Baseball which has been in good hands for a long time as well as Track which as been the Arkansas pride for years both without Long. Sure he's a nice guy and all of that but that doesn't make Sports programs at U of A we can be proud of.

zuko

Quote from: ricepig on October 22, 2017, 08:11:34 am
I would assume that would be after another poor year?
Pssst, can't think of the good hires, help me out.

WoePigSooie

Quote from: Augustus on October 23, 2017, 07:46:49 pm
He's well respected in the CFB world, by people who have no investment in HIS CFB program.

And... how has the last 3 CFB coaches he's hired, turned out?

Had to fire Petrino, JLS, sorta stuck with that, Bielema looked like a good hire, he sucks, and he can't fix anything because he is really bad coach.  long made a good hire at the time, that Bielema is crap coach is an issue that needs to be fixed.

EastexHawg

How about Jim Grobe...because Long definitely hired him before Petrino.  Grobe changed his mind and backed out, but Long hired him.

I cannot fathom a person who cares about Razorback football wanting Jeff Long to pick another coach.  Our odds would be just as good if we put the alphabet on the ground and let a seal or one of the Clydesdales spell out our next guy's name.

KennyForAD

Quote from: hawgbawb on October 23, 2017, 06:58:50 pm

Then you are clueless.  All the coaches watched him manufacture BS in the attempt to make his firing of Petrino seem more justified and to build himself up at the expense of his coach and his school.  His name is MUDD in coaching circles.

farmhawg

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 22, 2017, 02:05:11 pm
Go look up Bert's Wisconsin credentials and get back with me. I think you'll see it wasn't as impressive as many think. But most favs are sheep that take whatever Jeffi & the media sell them.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

KennyForAD

Quote from: keithrichardsliver on October 23, 2017, 07:52:12 pm
I just want to go on record as being  in the "Jeff Long should've been fired yesterday" crowd.

Gotcha down.  But Keith Richards' liver?  That can't be pretty.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 23, 2017, 09:48:29 am
You have three instances in 9 years and you think that is something?  All of them handled as soon as they happened and none of them covered up.  Are you making a case for or against him?

Three BIG cases. And no, they weren't handled. The rape was grossly mishandled. The golfers he put off "pending legal action". And he didn't do squat to the volleyball coach; he actually just turned his head when the complaints came in....  just like he always does.

KennyForAD

Quote from: HoggyCat on October 23, 2017, 08:29:56 pm
Three BIG cases. And no, they weren't handled. The rape was grossly mishandled. The golfers he put off "pending legal action". And he didn't do squat to the volleyball coach; he actually just turned his head when the complaints came in....  just like he always does.

He is a worthless FINK.  Anyone who doesn't see it is blind, or lying.

EastexHawg

What?  No mention of counterfeiting?  But Mike needed him, so what's a little printing fake money and defrauding businesses among friends?

HoggyCat

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 23, 2017, 08:36:42 pm
What?  No mention of counterfeiting?  But Mike needed him, so what's a little printing fake money and defrauding businesses among friends?

Slipped my mind. Add it to the ever growing list.

And let's not forget  Arlando Cook gets his suspension lifted just in time for team practices.  Seems suspensions or punishments are fine until the players are needed. I.E.: Glenn Bryant & Marcus Britt.  They returned just in time to play Oklahoma. And Nick Mason....  the walkon freshman.... was the expendable scapegoat.

ChicoHog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on October 22, 2017, 10:15:53 am
The only good hire he has made is Mike Anderson because everybody knows he should've came back anyways after the natty in 94
I never liked that hire either!  Bill Self should be our coach but John White made us hire Stan heath and it's never been the same in basketball.  Never will be as long as Anderson is here.  Ok coach and great guy.  Not an elite or top 20 type coach.  Hopefully his better recruiting this past year and all the good Arkansas HS talent will help the team make the next level of competing for conference championships on a regular basis and being a top 16 seed going into the NCAA tournament on a consistent basis. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 23, 2017, 08:24:34 pm
How about Jim Grobe...because Long definitely hired him before Petrino.  Grobe changed his mind and backed out, but Long hired him.

I cannot fathom a person who cares about Razorback football wanting Jeff Long to pick another coach.  Our odds would be just as good if we put the alphabet on the ground and let a seal or one of the Clydesdales spell out our next guy's name.
Jim Grobe may have done a great job here.  We will never know that. He did well at Wake Forest and took them to an Orange Bowl.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm glad he turned it down and I am not on board keeping BB and Long needs to pull the trigger but I will not hold Jim Grobe against him.