Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many have already started feeding?

Started by 1highhog, August 11, 2010, 11:29:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1highhog

How many have already started putting out their feeders?  I have yet to put out any of my corn feeders, mineral blocks, or even began working on planting any food plots.  Isn't it still to early for all of this?  I went out two weeks ago and on my lease, my son-in-law and I have leased 405 acres in Hot Springs County, the woods were full of things for the deer to feed on right now, we went ahead and bush hogged our lanes and roads, but we usually wait until September to plant anything.  Am I waiting to late?

HogBreath

Been putting out some corn and rice bran, they seem to have like the corn better, which is a little different from the norm.  Also got one of the hanging wild apple lollipops from Wal Mart, they seemed to like it a lot, even digging a hole in the ground under the thang.  They also ate a 5 gallon bucket of pears.  Lots of pictures of does and young bucks, none of the good bucks from last summer so far.

Of course, one of 'em ended up coming to my house last deer season. hehehe.  Shoulda let him have another year though, maybe 2-3 more.  But he was a nice 18" 8 pointer.  And I suspect we have a poaching problem around our land.

And no, September is not too late to get your seeds in the ground.  Early to mid September anyway.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

1highhog

Thanks HogBreath, I have never tried the Apple Lollipops thing, not even sure I have seen it.  I will have to look for that one.

twistitup

I poured some deer attractant liquid into the ground 2 years ago and deer are still pawing at that same spot. I was called Deer Cane...good stuff
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Virgil

I started putting corn out about a month and a half ago but like you said there is plenty to eat right now.  I keep a mineral block out all year for the deer and they are all over that thing 24 hours a day.  I've seen 30 - 40 different deer come through to lick on it.  I've seen at least 10 different bucks to this summer.  All of this on my back 10.  I guess it's nice to live on the land you hunt.   :)
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

1highhog

I'm envious of those people Virgil who have the opportunity to hunt the land they live on, I just don't have quite enough to hunt on.  This land my son-in-law and I have leased is pretty good land and we've killed some nice Buck off of it, but it's expensive to keep.  I would like to find about a 100 acres or so to buy and have it to where my family could all have a place to hunt without having to lease every year.

Virgil

Yes that would be ideal.  I got on the property I live on.  It was a friend of friend that got transferred to Texas somewhere.  I can't remember where they went.  Anyways I have 10 acres in a gated community that has 4 homes on 100 acres and we are surrounded by thousands of acres on three sides.  I see deer every single day.  I'm getting in a lease that bumps into my property that has a toral of 17,000 acres in the area.  I went from 2000 acres down in Sheridan for $700 as year to $450 a year to hunt over 17,000 acres in Bigelow/Wye Mountain and it bumps into my back yard.  I'm very fortunate I should say.  I've only been here for a year and a half.  Last season I took a nice 7 point and a doe of my 10 acres.  But I've seen about 3 really big bucks consistantly trolling through my property.  One will go close to 140 and the other two clost to 120.  i'm very excited about this hunting season.  I'm so looking forward to October 1st. 

1highhog

I live in Prattsville, where about near Sheridan were you hunting if you don't mind me asking?

IronHog

Quote from: 1highhog on August 12, 2010, 01:09:30 pm
I'm envious of those people Virgil who have the opportunity to hunt the land they live on, I just don't have quite enough to hunt on.  This land my son-in-law and I have leased is pretty good land and we've killed some nice Buck off of it, but it's expensive to keep.  I would like to find about a 100 acres or so to buy and have it to where my family could all have a place to hunt without having to lease every year.

If you are serious about buying land PM me sometime and we'll talk.  We have some nice tracts up for sale in your general area.  If you don't like those Kingwood has a pretty good listing of land for sale.

However if you think leasing is expensive get ready for sticker shock.  Lease rates are not really that much more than property taxes.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: 1highhog on August 11, 2010, 11:29:12 am
How many have already started putting out their feeders?  I have yet to put out any of my corn feeders, mineral blocks, or even began working on planting any food plots.  Isn't it still to early for all of this?  I went out two weeks ago and on my lease, my son-in-law and I have leased 405 acres in Hot Springs County, the woods were full of things for the deer to feed on right now, we went ahead and bush hogged our lanes and roads, but we usually wait until September to plant anything.  Am I waiting to late?

Planting in August is high risk.  Even early September runs a high risk of hot, dry weather.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Ftsmithmike

Ive got pumpkins and there are four in the patch eating right now. Its so hard to be honest sometimes.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

Virgil

Quote from: 1highhog on August 12, 2010, 07:48:08 pm
I live in Prattsville, where about near Sheridan were you hunting if you don't mind me asking?

Carthage...........does that ring a bell?  I'm not sure where Prattsville is.

1highhog

Yeah, Carthage is not very far down from Prattsville, You have Carthage, Leola, then you come up a little further to Poyen.  Prattsville is about 9 miles out of Sheridan on Highway 270 going toward Malvern.  About the only reason people know of Prattsville is because of the Catfish Restaurant there called the Whippet, or because it's the home of the Stephens Family.

jep_hog_fan

If you wait till hunting season, you will run the weary deer away for a few days. You will get young does and small bucks, but the mature, smart deer will skirt it.

I never stop feeding.