Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Only at Arkansas can the football program be totally ruined in 6 years

Started by HognotinMemphis, November 06, 2017, 09:32:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperFi

Quote from: greenie on November 06, 2017, 10:57:18 am
I'm just curious...did Long actually say "winning isn't everything" somewhere?  Or are you referring to this quote:

"Yes, winning is important," Long told fans at the Little Rock Touchdown Club this week. "Now contrast that if you're a win-at-all-cost program which we're not and I've said many, many times we're not, then you don't worry about the academics, you don't worry about the conduct, you just win.
"And you know what? When I arrived here 10 years ago, that's not what the leaders wanted at the time and certainly that's certainly not what we've delivered."

Here's the article that reports the previous quote: https://herosports.com/college-football/arkansas-jeff-long-football-win-at-all-cost-ahah

I've seen it stated over and over on Hogville that Long isn't worried about winning. Surely I missed this statement somewhere, or just can't extrapolate the previous quote into your interpretation.  If he actually said that, it would be a terrible thing for an SEC AD to say.  If he didn't, why are you saying it?  I can understand you saying that you *think* he doesn't care about winning based on the way he runs the program, but you stated that he *said* it.  Again, maybe I missed it somewhere.  If not, I see no reason to make stuff up.  There's plenty of factual reasons to complain.

All Jeff has to do to remedy this perception is to fire Bielema and to hire a coach that can get it done on the field. I agree though that things were taken out of context, however his undying public support of Bielema does lend itself to believing that he has an entirely different agenda that does not include winning.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

hawgon

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 01:16:05 pm
Look he wasn't returning Petrino's calls and in the end the choice wasn't left up to him.  Is that duress or you bosses telling you who your going to hire?  Maybe it's the same to some people.

It also explains why he told Petrino that the plane was leaving in a few hours and he could be on it or not, giving Petrino no choice but to leave Atlanta the way he did.  Long really didn't want him and was hoping that he would say "no".  Long was forced to talk to him and didn't want to hire him.  He wasn't going to make it easy.  He wanted to be able to say, "I tried" and move on to Muschamp.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hawgon on November 06, 2017, 02:59:08 pm
It also explains why he told Petrino that the plane was leaving in a few hours and he could be on it or not, giving Petrino no choice but to leave Atlanta the way he did.  Long really didn't want him and was hoping that he would say "no".  Long was forced to talk to him and didn't want to hire him.  He wasn't going to make it easy.  He wanted to be able to say, "I tried" and move on to Muschamp.

That's right and I've alway though and said a few times how weird it is that Petrino gets all the blame form Arkansas fans and the national media for getting on the plane at such a late hour that his players weren't even at the stadium, yet Long comes off as Mr Integrity.  I thought it was good that he left them a note in their lockers.

Razorbackers

Quote from: snoblind on November 06, 2017, 01:10:40 pm
Look for it yourself.  Notice, the operative verb in my comment "was",   

As indicated above that's not how it works, bro.

there was a radio interview with a LR attorney that used to be online  ooh sounds legit

And I've had the background details confirmed by far bigger donors than I am. lol

What's amusing on here are the folks always screaming for links sounds like someone who has no proof to me. Literal fake news.

Razorbackers

Am I in the politics forum? There's a whole bunch of stuff being taken as fact that has zero evidence or sources.

ricepig

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 06, 2017, 03:17:17 pm
Am I in the politics forum? There's a whole bunch of stuff being taken as fact that has zero evidence or sources.

Nope, they're talking about a coaching search, facts aren't required.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 06, 2017, 03:17:17 pm

No your on MMQB where the same thing happens.   However I got more proof it happened than you do that it didn't si you lose. 😉

Razorbackers

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 03:20:52 pm
Nope, they're talking about a coaching search, facts aren't required.

feelings > facts here, too? Dang. lol

Razorbackers

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 03:21:27 pm
No your on MMQB where the same thing happens.   However I got more proof it happened than you do that it didn't si you lose. 😉

THAT'S IT. YOU KNOW WHERE TO MEET ME.

ricepig

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 03:21:27 pm

You do?? I think it was the same as he was with Bielema, he got him on the airplane so he couldn't change his mind.

Cinco de Hogo

DeltaBoy

Jeff Long could break an Anvil with a Rubber Hammer.  See what he done at Pitt to their football program.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2017, 03:23:47 pm
You do?? I think it was the same as he was with Bielema, he got him on the airplane so he couldn't change his mind.

Link!

Razorbackers

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 03:23:53 pm
If you ain't there in fifteen minutes I'm leaving!

We should have planned this for 50 cent corn dog day.

Cinco de Hogo

Razorbackers

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 06, 2017, 03:28:41 pm
I'm buying...friend!

You better have a $20 in your pocket for me. I will put america's favorite drive in/rumble spot out of business.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 06, 2017, 03:31:08 pm
You better have a $20 in your pocket for me. I will put america's favorite drive in/rumble spot out of business.

Friendship only goes so far, your in a $2 limit because I'm cheap.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: snoblind on November 06, 2017, 01:13:00 pm
Shawn Arnell's show after Chuck went to work for UofA.  Somebody has linked it here within the past few years.

And yeah, duress is probably a little strong.

That's it. I had it saved on my old laptop but can't find it for anything. Duress is not accurate but it took some prodding to get Long to consider it. The guy telling the story had no ax to grind, it wasn't like he was roasting Long at all. All he did was tell how the Petrino hire came about. And Bobby was pushing for it and Long was hesitant at first.

wachhog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 06, 2017, 09:50:26 am
There is a scattering of talent of course. But to say there is "plenty" seems a stretch. The coaches have stopped doing their job and they never gave it a real shot to begin with. So that can make a team look untalented. See the Razorbacks in Ford's last 2 seasons vs what they did in Nutt's first season for example.

But, there is no talent on either line of scrimmage. There is little talent anywhere on defense. Some in the skill positions on offense and that is it. Bielema's poor recruiting strategy over past 5 years is going to hurt the team for next several years. The next head coach will have his work cut out for him.
The TV commentators said Bielema said his mistake "was not recruiting enough offensive and defensive linemen his first two years at Arkansas."
Duh. The man is thick headed. . The only one dumber is Jeff Long.

Libertarian Hog

This is an excellent review of what has happened to Arkansas football in the last six years, i.e. since the firing of Bobby Petrino by Jeff Long.
Question with boldness even the existence of a God, for if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear. - Thomas Jeffersxon

CareBear

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 06, 2017, 09:38:11 am
Hope the next coach can turn it around.

Surprisingly, the next coach will likely have to get a "2 year pass" into his contract just like Bielema did his first 2 years. The irony is that Bielema may have done much more (long term) damage than John L. did.
I don't mind a coach getting a 2 year pass if you will. Bobby's first year was not spectacular, but I recall seeing things Har excited me. One could see that this thing could be special with another year & a few more players. I think that we learned a lesson in regards to CBB. I think it was a lazy hire done without the proper research & vetting. Bert got a pass but his honeymoon seemed to extend into the end of last season. Jeffy & Bert used coach speak, propaganda, etc to deflect the questions that were too slow to emerge. Wisky fans warned us. I heard two people call BO Mattingly's show. One was a gentleman who sounded like he was about 55 & the other was a former punter for the Wisconsin Badgers who played for CBB. Everything they warned us about came to fruition. Everything!
I'm so excited about the future after these past 5 years. CBB just is not a great coach. He needs the structure & guidance that he enjoyed at Wisconsin. I wish him the best!