Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RIP Macho Man Randy Savage

Started by 870hogfan, May 20, 2011, 02:12:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hydrophonic

Can we all agree that pro wrestling and the NBA Draft Lottery are equally fixed?
"The future sucks." "Change it."

hvsupastar

Quote from: SwinerBock on May 26, 2011, 05:13:30 pm
Well, in his defense, if you get hit by one of those racquetballs, they sting like a mo-fo.  And it is possible to break a bone in a racquetball court.... that is, if you don't know what the heck you are doing...

I promise you it doesn't hurt as much as taking a basic slam and elbow.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

hogfan064

Quote from: Douglas on May 26, 2011, 10:24:19 am
Dude... seriously?

Why don't you have a read of http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=61613.0 and then tell me this profession doesn't hurt.

And then stop acting like a pusillanimous jackwagon.

I didn't know you once wrestled too.  I was actually trained under Robert Horne(Mo from Men on a Mission) in South Carolina several years ago.  A few others had a school in the Newberry, SC area and I gave it a shot for awhile.  I never made it as far as you did, but I can certainly say this sport isn't fake.

Doug

Quote from: hogfan064I didn't know you once wrestled too.  I was actually trained under Robert Horne(Mo from Men on a Mission) in South Carolina several years ago.  A few others had a school in the Newberry, SC area and I gave it a shot for awhile.  I never made it as far as you did, but I can certainly say this sport isn't fake.
A part of me regrets not moving forward with this.  And yes, since I'm in the capital of wrestling, I've halfway entertained the notion of getting back into it. Wife would NOT be happy though (more so for the bumps/falls that would need to be taken, rather than the hectic travel schedule (which she is fine about)).
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Eddie Goodson

I once had a conversation with Tully Blanchard after he quit wrestling and went into the ministry. He said he trained as hard everyday to wrestle as he did for all other sports he played. He began quoting the laundry list of injuries he'd suffered and the fact that he pretty much wrestled hurting from something his whole career. The concussion issue is greater among wrestlers than it is among any contact sport there is and I'd challenge anyone to show otherwise. It is a huge part of the reason that so many wrestlers have died early from health issues or committed suicide.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Doug

Chris Nowinski, former Tough Enough winner had his wrestling career abruptly ended as a result of a severe concussion. He later became an expert on head related injuries and cofounded Sports Legacy Institute (SLI) on June 14, 2007 in Boston, Massachusetts by with Dr. Robert Cantu in reaction to new medical research indicating brain trauma in sports had become a public health crisis.

He lectures extensively on this and has even released a book.

So, yeah, tell me that wrestling's fake (I'll give you fixed, but not fake). :)
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

hvsupastar

Chris Nowitzki. First ever Harvard grad in WWE. & probably the last
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

SwinerBock

Quote from: hvsupastar on May 28, 2011, 10:14:41 am
I promise you it doesn't hurt as much as taking a basic slam and elbow.
Wasn't trying to imply otherwise.  Was being more-or-less tongue-in-cheek.

That being said, those racquetballs really do sting something fierce...

hogfan064

Quote from: Douglas on May 28, 2011, 08:11:22 pm
A part of me regrets not moving forward with this.  And yes, since I'm in the capital of wrestling, I've halfway entertained the notion of getting back into it. Wife would NOT be happy though (more so for the bumps/falls that would need to be taken, rather than the hectic travel schedule (which she is fine about)).

While I'm in fantastic shape, I'd never do anything like that again now that I'm 32 and have a family.  Plus, showing up to work with bruises or possibly worse isn't good.

hogfan064

Quote from: Douglas on May 28, 2011, 11:09:37 pm
Chris Nowinski, former Tough Enough winner had his wrestling career abruptly ended as a result of a severe concussion. He later became an expert on head related injuries and cofounded Sports Legacy Institute (SLI) on June 14, 2007 in Boston, Massachusetts by with Dr. Robert Cantu in reaction to new medical research indicating brain trauma in sports had become a public health crisis.

He lectures extensively on this and has even released a book.

So, yeah, tell me that wrestling's fake (I'll give you fixed, but not fake). :)

Did you see the PBS special on Shiloh Christian?  They talked about concussions and Harvard Chris was one of the experts

Doug

Quote from: hogfan064Did you see the PBS special on Shiloh Christian?  They talked about concussions and Harvard Chris was one of the experts
I don't live in AR, so I wouldn't get AR PBS programming here.  :)
--Doug

Johnny America

Quote from: Douglas on May 31, 2011, 08:10:12 pm

It was a national broadcast. Frontline did the story. It was on more than just Shilo. It was about high school football and head trauma as a whole. Really good show.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/football-high/

There is a link 8)
God is not real.

hogfan064

Quote from: Douglas on May 31, 2011, 08:10:12 pm
Quote from: Johnny America on May 31, 2011, 08:18:35 pm
It was a national broadcast. Frontline did the story. It was on more than just Shilo. It was about high school football and head trauma as a whole. Really good show.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/football-high/

There is a link 8)

Yep, watched it in South Carolina