Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Watched "The Wrestler"

Started by beachhawg, January 22, 2009, 05:12:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beachhawg

Not bad.  Mickey Rourke was pretty jacked up in the movie, ripped. 
Not a lot of big names.
Not too bad for a wrestling movie, it wasnt cheesy.

HawgAdvocate

Bill Simmons (ESPN's The Sports Guy) gave it a thumbs up, which says a lot in my book.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

Is it all fiction or is it based on anyone in particular?

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

jbell96

I can't wait to go see it. Rourke won a golden globe for best actor. He's also been nominated for an Academy Award in the same category. It opened here this weekend so hopefully it will be around for awhile.

Genuine Mahawgony

Quote from: Thunderhog Jr on January 23, 2009, 03:49:10 pm

Is it all fiction or is it based on anyone in particular?

It's fictional, but I can't help but think it's about Jake the Snake. 

hvsupastar

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

DeltaBoy

Ah Jake the Snake Roberts  Loved watching him back in the 1980's. 8)

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogfan064

I thought it was a great movie.  Didn't care for the ending much, but outside of that one of the best movies I've seen in a few years. 

Its very realistic and uses plenting of wrestling terms like "heat", "heel", and "face" .  By far the best wrestling movie.  Of course it might be the only good wrestling movie. 

Panthers63

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 28, 2009, 08:20:27 am
I thought it was a great movie.  Didn't care for the ending much, but outside of that one of the best movies I've seen in a few years. 

Its very realistic and uses plenting of wrestling terms like "heat", "heel", and "face" .  By far the best wrestling movie.  Of course it might be the only good wrestling movie. 

Yeah, I didn't like the ending, but it was a good movie. Did he die at the end?

hogfan064

Quote from: Panthers63 on May 28, 2009, 08:25:19 am
Yeah, I didn't like the ending, but it was a good movie. Did he die at the end?

I wonder if the DVD goes into an explanation of the ending.  I ordered it on PPV last night on Direct TV. 

Mickey Rourke was great.  I'm so glad he had the role and not Nicholas Cage.  The way the film was shot was great as well.  The end was the only thing that bothered me, but in a way it reminded me of the way some of the great movies in the 70s ended.

Silver Hog