Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TCU has Arkansas game circled . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, August 09, 2017, 02:49:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

Quote from: nchogg on August 10, 2017, 08:19:45 am
I don't see them beating us. Mistakes hurt us last year and our Hogs will be very focused this year. They don't know what to expect from our defense. They won't see much in our FL A&M game. I have faith Coach Rhoads will make needed adjustments at halftime like we have not seen in the last 2 years. Not worried about our offense Coach Enos will have a handle on that. Agim has blood in his eyes and is ready to take out a QB. Remember our defense is on a mission.

I like what your saying and being a Hog Fan I want to believe it but we must show it on the field.  TCU wants this game as bad as us.   We must come out and PROVE we belong to be up with the Big Boys.

Al Boarland

August 10, 2017, 09:32:03 am #51 Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:14:51 am by Al Boarland
Quote from: GuvHog on August 10, 2017, 08:34:58 am
In the 3-4 defense, the blitzes are disguised so that the offense doesn't know which direction the blitz is coming from. It's difficult for the QB to read. It will force Hill to use his noggin as well as his arm and legs.

I'm aware of the design and expected results. Doesn't mean it always works. The 3-4 isn't magic. Teams get torched running a 3-4 just like they do running a 4-3.

Science Fiction Greg

We didn't steal a game down there.  We cleaned our shirt off after barfing all over ourselves and then finished dinner.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

GuvHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 10, 2017, 09:32:03 am
I’m aware of the design and expected results. Doesn’t mean it always works. The 3-4 isn’t magic. Teams get torched running a 3-4 just like they do running a 4-3.

Agreed, that can and does happen if the offense happens to guess right.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hawg66

Well to be fair the article was about fans circling the game as a barometer of TCU's season.

I agree with the point someone made that Hill isn't in the league of TTech's qb.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on August 10, 2017, 08:36:27 am
TT took revenge on us at our place. Humbled us. Surely we will not allow this again. If we want to be a consistent top 20 team again we have to protect our house in these 50\50 games. 

It was humbling
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Michael_E_Davis

I expect us to have a good season -  but we will lose this game.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

bphi11ips

Quote from: hawg66 on August 10, 2017, 10:30:12 am
I agree with the point someone made that Hill isn't in the league of TTech's qb.

Maybe not, but Hill has played twice against Arkansas.  Once for A&M and once for TCU.  Both games went to overtime.  He threw for 386 yards with 4 TDs and 1 INT and ran for 30 yards in A&M's 35-28 victory.  Last year he was 36-56 for 377 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT in TCU's 41-38 loss.  He was TCU's leading rusher with 93 yards and 2 rushing TDs.

Hill's problem since he torched #9 South Carolina for an A&M record 511 yards passing in the first game of 2014 has been inconsistency.  Word out of TCU was that he didn't have a good Spring.  But he is a dangerous QB with a dangerous supporting cast.  Fortunately, we have the same, and probably the best pure passer between the two playing before a home crowd.

Quote from: Michael_E_Davis on August 10, 2017, 10:45:30 am

Honestly, if you look at last year's box score, it's hard to argue with this, even being at home:

http://www.secsports.com/boxscore/football/400868981

Looking at who Arkansas lost and who TCU returns, it's easy to see why TCU is an early 6 point favorite.  Further, TCU outgained Arkansas 572-403 and had 25 first downs to Arkansas's 20.  The difference in the game was that TCU had two turnovers to Arkansas's none, and Austin Allen put the Hogs on his back down the stretch. 

You have to think that Hill and his offense are going to score a lot of points.  However, Arkansas has a few extra days to prepare for TCU, and TCU won't have a lot of film on Arkansas's new players on either side of the ball or on their new defensive scheme.  Hopefully we can create a little havoc on defense. 

In the end, I think Arkansas will score a lot of points as well, and Austin Allen and the home crowd will be the difference in a classic.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

code red

If I am not mistaken they got almost everyone back from a young defense.  I expect a struggle.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 10, 2017, 08:37:48 am
Why does everyone keep referring to TT? Hill ain't no Mahomes
a bunch of arkansas fans still don't have a clue what we were facing with mahomes across the line from the hogs. dude is better than any QB in the SEC.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

menace_hawg3

Quote from: code red on August 10, 2017, 02:46:25 pm
If I am not mistaken they got almost everyone back from a young defense.  I expect a struggle.

We had a mostly Senior defense last year and it didn't matter. Why does everyone think that every team  on our schedule improves except for us?  I'm not accusing you of that. I just didn't feel like writing another post.

Al Boarland

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on August 10, 2017, 06:07:26 pm
We had a mostly Senior defense last year and it didn't matter. Why does everyone think that every team  on our schedule improves except for us?  I'm not accusing you of that. I just didn't feel like writing another post.

I disagree.  There are posters here that think the only team getting better is ours. They think everyone else will be the same or worse. They think we are the only team working hard in the spring, summer and fall camp. Like somehow our guys want it more, have games circled, have a renewed spirit and will not be denied (sans the bama game). Others will say CBB's back against the wall and he will somehow coach harder this season than previous seasons.

I'm ready for the season to start. Then we can compare all the talk. Who should have been guaranteed wins? Which were truly tossups? How much further does the program have to go the be relevant? What excuses will be used if the team produces a mediocre season? How many will still think CBB can take the program to the next level?

Soon...

supersaint

I once circled Kathy Ireland's rear end in a magazine.  Didn't help me get it.
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: supersaint on August 10, 2017, 08:23:53 pm
You ain't dead, she ain't dead. Don't give up.

Al Boarland

Quote from: supersaint on August 10, 2017, 08:23:53 pm
But did you DEMAND that you got it? Apparently that matters.

supersaint

Quote from: theFlyingHog on August 10, 2017, 08:27:58 pm
You ain't dead, she ain't dead. Don't give up.

You're right. I'm 355 lbs now, but have a great personality and an Arkansas letter jacket.  I bet she'd date me.  I'm gonna go for it.

supersaint

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 10, 2017, 08:31:51 pm
But did you DEMAND that you got it? Apparently that matters.

Didn't gray that, but I'm about to.

Hollywood_HOGan45

We played like garbage at their place and still somehow won.

This year it's at our place with nine days to prepare.

Should be a win.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 10, 2017, 08:12:29 pm
I disagree.  There are posters here that think the only team getting better is ours. They think everyone else will be the same or worse. They think we are the only team working hard in the spring, summer and fall camp. Like somehow our guys want it more, have games circled, have a renewed spirit and will not be denied (sans the bama game). Others will say CBB's back against the wall and he will somehow coach harder this season than previous seasons.

I'm ready for the season to start. Then we can compare all the talk. Who should have been guaranteed wins? Which were truly tossups? How much further does the program have to go the be relevant? What excuses will be used if the team produces a mediocre season? How many will still think CBB can take the program to the next level?

Soon...
No one on this board has been a bigger supporter of CBB than I have. 

If we don't win at least 8 (barring injury to AA or a slew of injuries to important players) I will have officially lost my believe that he can get it done.

That said, I still won't become a jackass constantly putting him down and screaming for him to be fired.  In fact, he'll get one more season to win me back.
All Gas, No Brakes!

bennyl08

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 10, 2017, 09:45:48 pm

If we don't win at least 8 (barring injury to AA or a slew of injuries to important players) I will have officially lost my believe that he can get it done.

That said, I still won't become a jackass constantly putting him down and screaming for him to be fired.  In fact, he'll get one more season to win me back.

That's about where I am as well. I've seen improvements made each season so far. We aren't where I want to be yet, but we are still moving in the right direction, slowly. I expect the team to continue to improve as it has done each and every season so far until we reach our limit under the current coaching staff. If that limit is winning 8-10 games each year with 6-7 being a rebuilding year and some 10+ seasons scattered relatively commonly throughout there, then we are good. If 6-8 wins is that limit, then I appreciate the stability after the motorcycle incident and believe we have a solid foundation in place, but it will then be time to find somebody who can start building upwards.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Al Boarland

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 10, 2017, 09:45:48 pm

Agreed. I thinks he's a good fit for the program. Said it many times.

Al Boarland

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 10, 2017, 09:58:33 pm
I expect the team to continue to improve as it has done each and every season so far until we reach our limit under the current coaching staff.

You saw improvement last season?

bennyl08

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 10, 2017, 10:36:45 pm
You saw improvement last season?

2013: baseline year. True freshmen starting left and right. Inept on both sides of the ball.
2014: New DC, and our offense wasn't great but had some positives. New defense takes a while to emerge, but once it is clicking, it was something to be seen.
2015: We lost our key players on defense but were still one of the top run stopping units. Made changes on offense to improve that side of the ball.
2016: Defense should have been strong again. Perhaps not to 2014 levels, but in no way, shape, or form should have been even worse. Offense facing some major changeover but our development really showed in that we were able to simply reload on offense and not need to rebuild. This season we really should have won 9 games. And not like in past seasons where we couldn't come out on top of some close games like bama of MSU, but genuinely had to try to lose those last to games and we did.

So yeah, I did see improvement. In none of the past seasons were we in the driver's seat to win 9 games. Maybe you can argue that such a thing would have been possible with some extra lucky breaks or if we didn't get unlucky, but in 2016, we didn't need any lucky breaks to get to 9 wins, we had in entirely in our control to do so and that is improvement from the past 3 seasons.

This year, I expect those collapses to go away and the defense to not be a complete embarrassment. However, I don't think the win total will vary too much based on the defense. We were good enough to win 9 games on offense last year that some experience on offense would have allowed. We are experienced on offense now at the key positions so even without improvement on D, I think 9 wins is a reasonable expectation. Even with significant improvement on defense, I don't see a significant change to the wins though. Maybe win 10 in the regular season. However, the key with an improved defense this coming year will be that the wins will be more comfortable. Rather than having to go to the wire where I have complete confidence in Austin to come out on top, if our defense improves, that won't be an issue.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

gchamblee

Quote from: bennyl08 on August 10, 2017, 10:50:45 pm
2013: baseline year. True freshmen starting left and right. Inept on both sides of the ball.
2014: New DC, and our offense wasn't great but had some positives. New defense takes a while to emerge, but once it is clicking, it was something to be seen.
2015: We lost our key players on defense but were still one of the top run stopping units. Made changes on offense to improve that side of the ball.
2016: Defense should have been strong again. Perhaps not to 2014 levels, but in no way, shape, or form should have been even worse. Offense facing some major changeover but our development really showed in that we were able to simply reload on offense and not need to rebuild. This season we really should have won 9 games. And not like in past seasons where we couldn't come out on top of some close games like bama of MSU, but genuinely had to try to lose those last to games and we did.

So yeah, I did see improvement. In none of the past seasons were we in the driver's seat to win 9 games. Maybe you can argue that such a thing would have been possible with some extra lucky breaks or if we didn't get unlucky, but in 2016, we didn't need any lucky breaks to get to 9 wins, we had in entirely in our control to do so and that is improvement from the past 3 seasons.

This year, I expect those collapses to go away and the defense to not be a complete embarrassment. However, I don't think the win total will vary too much based on the defense. We were good enough to win 9 games on offense last year that some experience on offense would have allowed. We are experienced on offense now at the key positions so even without improvement on D, I think 9 wins is a reasonable expectation. Even with significant improvement on defense, I don't see a significant change to the wins though. Maybe win 10 in the regular season. However, the key with an improved defense this coming year will be that the wins will be more comfortable. Rather than having to go to the wire where I have complete confidence in Austin to come out on top, if our defense improves, that won't be an issue.

good post

code red

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on August 10, 2017, 06:07:26 pm
Because a 3 front is not the answer.  We gave up 5.8 yds per carry last year....and were going to a 3 front with SS at LB makes no sense.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HawgQuest

I just don't believe TCU is gonna win. After hogs win in LR, they not gonna want to give up a loss on the second game of the season. In Fayettville.....nah. Go Hogs.

menace_hawg3

Quote from: code red on August 11, 2017, 03:08:33 pm
Because a 3 front is not the answer.  We gave up 5.8 yds per carry last year....and were going to a 3 front with SS at LB makes no sense.

A 4 front wasn't the answer either. 

jgphillips3

I think we've had the Alabama game circled for about 10 years.  I see them circling us having as much effect as us circling Bama the last 10 years.

Hoggiedawg

Quote from: code red on August 11, 2017, 03:08:33 pm

I expect a slight improvement this year on D.  It won't be enough to significantly change our win total.

nchogg

I don't care what TCU wants they will not win. Comment back after the game. Go Hogs!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: nchogg on August 13, 2017, 03:14:39 pm
I don't care what TCU wants they will not win. Comment back after the game. Go Hogs!

Agree our fans crack me up. Our defense and our oline will be a 100% improved if we can't or don't beat TCU at home we need to start thinking about who will replace BB.

I like BB but this game has to be a win..Period end of the sentence. Surprised at how many on this site are afraid of big old TCU.

hawgdavis

Why? Please explain, I think we roll them. We should have stomped the last year. I think from everything I'm readin this year we will have a more focused determined team that should translate into less mistakes and that will spell trouble for the likes of less talented teams like TCU, ATM Sc and others.

MuskogeeHogFan

TCU's biggest losses come at the D-Line, which will help our O-Line and running game (maybe passing game as well). TCU returns more starting experience overall than any other P-5 team but they have to replace a great deal on their D-Line and they have no way of knowing if they can keep Kenny Hill's (their QB) head screwed on straight because he has tended to be a bit of a head case in the past.

I think we beat TCU and I think that this year, we beat A&M as well.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 13, 2017, 06:21:55 pm
Agree our fans crack me up. Our defense and our oline will be a 100% improved if we can't or don't beat TCU at home we need to start thinking about who will replace BB.

I like BB but this game has to be a win..Period end of the sentence. Surprised at how many on this site are afraid of big old TCU.

100% improved? That's a bold statement. Dang near unbelieveable.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 13, 2017, 06:21:55 pm

+1000 if I could.   Thank you for your faithfulness in the HOGS!!!
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

bob slydell

Sounds a lot like the talk from TTU leading up to the return game in Fayetteville 2 years ago.  I hope the outcome isn't the same.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: RyeHogFan on August 09, 2017, 06:16:32 pm
It is a necessity. If we try to get into a shootout with them, our chances of winning greatly decrease, since we will be trying to do so with a whole group of inexperienced receivers aside from J-Corn. We very nearly lost that game in large part due to the plays by Turpin. Multiple times in the 2nd half TCU went over the middle to him and then you have his kick return after we tied it late in the 4th that set them up for a potential game-winning FG.

If we let Turpin get loose again like he did in the fourth quarter last year, we could find ourselves on the wrong side of the scoreboard this year.
J-Corn??? Seriously?   :puke:
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Hoggish1

Quote from: MJ2 on August 09, 2017, 02:58:14 pm
They will definitely be ready.   As of today, I expect a close loss to them.  Something like 20-17.

I never expect a loss.  Note to TCU we have this game circled, too.

slowride

Quote from: Bob Slydell on August 14, 2017, 01:33:55 pm
Sounds a lot like the talk from TTU leading up to the return game in Fayetteville 2 years ago.  I hope the outcome isn't the same.

Exactly!  This is what worries me too.  We need to make sure our players know that we don't need to give them any bulletin board material. 

Steef

I remember Rutgers.

And Toledo.

Not taking ANYTHING for granted.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Steef on August 14, 2017, 03:49:58 pm
I remember Rutgers.

And Toledo.

Not taking ANYTHING for granted.

Overall Statistics - Arkansas vs TCU
Total Games Played 68
Arkansas Win-Loss-Tie 43-23-2
Arkansas Win Percentage 0.647
Conf Games Played 66
Arkansas Win-Loss-Tie 43-21-2
Arkansas Win Percentage 0.667

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ricepig

Quote from: DLUXHOG on August 14, 2017, 03:54:30 pm
Total Games Played 68
Conf Games Played 66

Something in that doesn't add up, we beat them last year and it wasn't a conference game, old stats I assume.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: DLUXHOG on August 14, 2017, 03:54:30 pm
Total Games Played 68
Conf Games Played 66

Stats that go past 1985 are basically worthless.
Most everyone on here will quote the Hogs vs Horns all time record as proof that they've dominated us.
However, since 1985, the series is 6-6.
That's hardly dominating.

We'd better be ready.  This isn't grandpa's Hogs vs Frogs.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Headhog32

of course they will have this game circled, not only are they seeking revenge but it is a fun non conference matchup that could go either way. I'm sure a big 12 team would love to knock off an sec team but I think the hogs feel otherwise

TuskFexas

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 09, 2017, 04:15:03 pm
I don't give a crap if they've got it isosceles triangled with stars and hearts

First true LOL I've had on here in while! Well done sir.
The smoker I drink, the player I get!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 13, 2017, 07:13:06 pm
100% improved? That's a bold statement. Dang near unbelieveable.

Did you watch our defense last year? I mean 100% seems reasonable to me?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 14, 2017, 09:02:33 pm
Did you watch our defense last year? I mean 100% seems reasonable to me?
Don't try to reason with him unless you like the squishy sound your head starts making on the concrete wall

Headhog32

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 13, 2017, 07:03:13 pm
TCU's biggest losses come at the D-Line, which will help our O-Line and running game (maybe passing game as well). TCU returns more starting experience overall than any other P-5 team but they have to replace a great deal on their D-Line and they have no way of knowing if they can keep Kenny Hill's (their QB) head screwed on straight because he has tended to be a bit of a head case in the past.

I think we beat TCU and I think that this year, we beat A&M as well.
agreed.