Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 PF Ted Kapita

Started by -Blu, October 22, 2014, 03:08:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSexyHog

Guy has a kick arse first name.  Not to many cool cats with that name running around these days.  Sign him up
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

HOGINTENNESSEE

Holy Crap big time player out of nowhere

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

pigture perfect

Love his baby hook and smooth shot.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

-Blu

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 22, 2014, 03:17:06 pm
Holy Crap big time player out of nowhere

His name actually came up early during the summer, it was reported we had offered.  RazorAG had a thread about him.  I'm interested to see more news pop up on our chances with him, but just getting an official visit from him is HUGE. 

ricepig

Quote from: BigSexyHog on October 22, 2014, 03:15:44 pm
Guy has a kick arse first name.  Not to many cool cats with that name running around these days.  Sign him up

Just think if his first name was Per......

mhuff

October 22, 2014, 04:52:59 pm #7 Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:31:57 pm by mhuff
Blu, thanks for info. No one has predicted his possibility of committing to Arkansas. But, who knows after a visit. Good job by MA to get the visit. Actually .... give credit to Cleveland and Watkins...... that's who has been recruiting him.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on October 22, 2014, 04:52:59 pm
Blu, thanks for info. No one predicted his committing to Arkansas. But, who knows after a visit. Good job by MA to get the visit. Actually .... give credit to Cleveland and Watkins...... that's who has been recruiting him.

Don't think anyone knew Arkansas was in the picture until today, you know how our staff does, very "under the radar" in their recruiting.  Seems like most of our commitments, unless they are prior relationship and/or in-state recruits, we don't know about until right before they commit.  I hope this is one of those situations.  Kapita would be an awesome pick-up, would really flourish in our system as well.

poloprince

I want this guy badly  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

The_Iceman

Any realistic chance with him?

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 22, 2014, 07:18:31 pm
Any realistic chance with him?

Been asking around, nobody seems to know as of yet.  He's visiting Memphis tonight, then suppose to visit Mizzou after us.  Haven't heard any other visits.  Trying to figure out why Jerry Meyer picked Oregon yesterday, haven't seen any connection with him to them.

outlawhogeywells

he is here this weekend will be doing the catfish hole on friday night. 

Scott7703

Just my opinion but this would be the biggest get of CMA'a tenure if he pulls it off. Appears to be a perfect fit with our style.

-Blu

Quote from: Scott7703 on October 22, 2014, 08:52:49 pm
Just my opinion but this would be the biggest get of CMA'a tenure if he pulls it off. Appears to be a perfect fit with our style.

Definitely would be a big get.  But, clearly Bobby Portis was the biggest get for CMA so far.  Now, as far as out of state recruits it would be a really good debate on who was the biggest get between Kingsley, Whitt, or Kapita if we can get him.

Scott7703

Quote from: -Blu on October 22, 2014, 09:00:08 pm
Definitely would be a big get.  But, clearly Bobby Portis was the biggest get for CMA so far.  Now, as far as out of state recruits it would be a really good debate on who was the biggest get between Kingsley, Whitt, or Kapita if we can get him.

To me we had the upper hand with bobby the whole way. Had inroads with Witt and Kingsley. Kapita would be the first one who we just went out and out recruited others to get. I really like bobby, Moses and jimmy by the way. Also think that babb is really gonna surprise some folks.

-Blu

Quote from: Scott7703 on October 22, 2014, 09:03:21 pm
To me we had the upper hand with bobby the whole way. Had inroads with Witt and Kingsley. Kapita would be the first one who we just went out and out recruited others to get. I really like bobby, Moses and jimmy by the way. Also think that babb is really gonna surprise some folks.

Good points.  Also, I forgot about Qualls he's currently more valuable than all those guys, but you could argue he was more of a "steal" at his rank than us out recruiting guys.  Also, I agree with you about Babb, 6'5 he can play the 1, 2, or 3, was a lock-down defender in high school, can't wait to see him after he gets comfortable in our system.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Scott7703 on October 22, 2014, 09:03:21 pm
To me we had the upper hand with bobby the whole way. Had inroads with Witt and Kingsley. Kapita would be the first one who we just went out and out recruited others to get.

agreed

The_Bionic_Pig

Catfish Hole do your thing!!
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 23, 2014, 09:54:21 am
agreed

Im not a recruiting exper by any means but isnt "developing inroads" a big part of out recruiting someone to get a recruit?

The_Iceman

-Blu

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 23, 2014, 10:26:18 am
Im not a recruiting exper by any means but isnt "developing inroads" a big part of out recruiting someone to get a recruit?

I thought so as well, but I learned it's best to just go with the "hogville flow" to keep the peace around here.  So just FYI, don't give the staff credit for a recruit unless it's somebody that's not in-state or someone that they built a relationship with over the years.  Strictly has to be a top tier out of state recruit, that nobody knew about until  he was close to committing.  Think Babb is really the only unanimous recruit people give the staff credit for, he was a out of state 4-star recruit on ESPN at the time he committed.

PorkRinds

Quote from: -Blu on October 23, 2014, 11:25:52 am
I thought so as well, but I learned it's best to just go with the "hogville flow" to keep the peace around here.  So just FYI, don't give the staff credit for a recruit unless it's somebody that's not in-state or someone that they built a relationship with over the years.  Strictly has to be a top tier out of state recruit, that nobody knew about until  he was close to committing.  Think Babb is really the only unanimous recruit people give the staff credit for, he was a out of state 4-star recruit on ESPN at the time he committed.

Personally I really like the way the staff recruits.  Keeping everything on the down low serves them well, because they don't have to worry about the hype.  If they miss, no one ever knows too much to be overly concerned.  If they land them, it's a pleasant surprise.  I think it's really a smart way to do it. 

Scott7703

Quote from: -Blu on October 23, 2014, 11:25:52 am

I hope you really don't think that is what I was trying to say. The point I was making was I don't exactly think we accomplished a lot when we sign wings players. Qualls, Witt, Babb, ect we went out an got which is more impressive to me than getting Crawfords boys. All things considered I could care less who we sign if we win.

ricepig

Maybe Moses told him the Catfish Hole was really good??

-Blu

Quote from: Scott7703 on October 23, 2014, 11:35:25 am
I hope you really don't think that is what I was trying to say. The point I was making was I don't exactly think we accomplished a lot when we sign wings players. Qualls, Witt, Babb, ect we went out an got which is more impressive to me than getting Crawfords boys. All things considered I could care less who we sign if we win.

I got what you were saying Scott, more or less referring to some things I've heard over time, that comment was mostly meant for RazorPiggie, because he doesn't miss an opportunity to throw shots at the coaching staff.  I don't think I've ever seen him give credit to the coaching staff for a recruit... it's either we need better recruiters if they miss out, or if we get them we should have got them because of our connection with them.

-Blu

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 23, 2014, 11:30:10 am
Personally I really like the way the staff recruits.  Keeping everything on the down low serves them well, because they don't have to worry about the hype.  If they miss, no one ever knows too much to be overly concerned.  If they land them, it's a pleasant surprise.  I think it's really a smart way to do it.

It is, but for guys like myself that like to follow recruiting really frustrating.  I definitely don't knock their method, it seems to be working well, just as a fan be nice to know a little more from time to time.

Scott7703

Quote from: -Blu on October 23, 2014, 11:42:54 am
I got what you were saying Scott, more or less referring to some things I've heard over time, that comment was mostly meant for RazorPiggie, because he doesn't miss an opportunity to throw shots at the coaching staff.  I don't think I've ever seen him give credit to the coaching staff for a recruit... it's either we need better recruiters if they miss out, or if we get them we should have got them because of our connection with them.

Fair enough. Winning cures all recruiting ills and I really feel like this is CMA's year to win. I'm not going to say I've not been disappointed in it basketball recruiting but lets be honest with ourselves and just admit it has as more to do with lack of success than who we have recruiting. We start to win and recruiting gets better. Pretty simple to me but obviously I could be wrong.

PorkRinds

Quote from: -Blu on October 23, 2014, 11:44:24 am
It is, but for guys like myself that like to follow recruiting really frustrating.  I definitely don't knock their method, it seems to be working well, just as a fan be nice to know a little more from time to time.

Oh I agree.  I love being able to track recruiting on the football side and prognosticate about who we will end up with and who we have a chance with.  I think the difference likely lies in the number of kids each program recruits.  Football recruiting involves a ton of different kids, so the spotlight is spread around a bit and doesn't get too hot on specific players until right before NSD.  With the fewer number of BB recruits, it seems like it could backfire a bit with fans putting lots of pressure on both the coaches and the players.  I've not followed BB recruiting much though, so I could be way off.

-Blu

Quote from: Scott7703 on October 23, 2014, 11:47:27 am
Fair enough. Winning cures all recruiting ills and I really feel like this is CMA's year to win. I'm not going to say I've not been disappointed in it basketball recruiting but lets be honest with ourselves and just admit it has as more to do with lack of success than who we have recruiting. We start to win and recruiting gets better. Pretty simple to me but obviously I could be wrong.

Yea no doubt, I haven't been this excited about B-Ball season in a long time, think this is our year.  And as far as recruiting, I'm not trying sugar coat anything or wear hog-colored glasses, your right recruiting could be better, especially out of state.  We don't have the best recruiters, but they do know what they want, and they get players that buy into their system, and the results are starting to show on the court.  This year is very important for both recruiting and the direction of the program.  An underachieving year, could be devastating to the program, especially if your talking about losing Portis and Qualls after this year.

poloprince

Quote from: Scott7703 on October 23, 2014, 11:47:27 am

No practice facility gets used against Arkansas in recruiting all the time. That should be where your disappointment lies, in the leaders of the university.
$PoLoPrInCe$

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: poloprince on October 23, 2014, 12:56:56 pm
No practice facility gets used against Arkansas in recruiting all the time. That should be where your disappointment lies, in the leaders of the university.

Yes because the donated, earmarked money to build one has always been there. Shame on those 'leaders' for not cashing those checks before now.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

bjl

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 23, 2014, 02:14:43 pm
Yes because the donated, earmarked money to build one has always been there. Shame on those 'leaders' for not cashing those checks before now.

got any info/thoughts on Kapita?

Peppa Pig

Quote from: Scott7703 on October 22, 2014, 08:52:49 pm

Completely agree.  He would be a HUGE get!

HawgAdvocate

October 23, 2014, 03:33:29 pm #34 Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 03:44:15 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: bjl on October 23, 2014, 02:23:05 pm
got any info/thoughts on Kapita?

We're fortunate to have him on an official visit, no doubt. He has talked about playing overseas instead of college, and there's also the more familiar Florida Gators to contend with (he spent two years at Florida Air Academy before transferring to Hunting Prep), and both Texas and Kansas have been involved and have signed Florida Air players in recent years, so we've got some pretty stiff competition that has likely made stronger in-roads with Kapita up to this point.

He's taking his mix of official and unofficial visits (WV, Memphis, Mizzou, etc), so we've certainly got a chance to win him over. I'm not getting my hopes up though 'until the smoke clears up' a bit, in regards to his recruiting. Our preference for scoring in transition clearly suits his athleticism and aggressiveness, which is probably a big reason why he's visiting. 

Here's a good bio on Kapita, in case any want to know more about who he is: http://usatodayhss.com/2014/for-huntington-prep-player-basketball-is-more-than-a-game
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

RazorPiggie

Quote from: -Blu on October 23, 2014, 11:42:54 am

We land this guy I'll change my attitude towards MA and said staff. IMO I still think we are in need of a recruiter on this staff. I would like to see them land an Alex Collins caliber type of player. No ties to the university/state (Portis, Beard), no family ties to the staff(Whitt). They come simply because they fell in love with the staff and university. That's all I'm saying about it, I don't feel like arguing about basketball as well as football.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Hopefully, he can bond with Moses considering they both have had to make the transition from Africa to the US

The_Iceman

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 23, 2014, 04:07:47 pm
Hopefully, he can bond with Moses considering they both have had to make the transition from Africa to the US

Him forming a bond with Moses is one of the best shots we got to get him.

-Blu

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 23, 2014, 03:43:15 pm
We land this guy I'll change my attitude towards MA and said staff. IMO I still think we are in need of a recruiter on this staff. I would like to see them land an Alex Collins caliber type of player. No ties to the university/state (Portis, Beard), no family ties to the staff(Whitt). They come simply because they fell in love with the staff and university. That's all I'm saying about it, I don't feel like arguing about basketball as well as football.

So.... you rather have moral victories in recruiting, than actually wins on the court/field?  Because that's what I got when you brought up an example from the football team.  They are killing it in recruiting, and bringing a lot of attention to the school that way, but it has yet to turn into any SEC wins. 

Me personally, I don't care about the recruiting stars, where they are from, why they came to Arkansas etc.  As long as they are good players that fit the system, represent the university well, and help us win.  I will admit it's fun to keep up with recruiting, and get big name players to commit, you know me I love to keep up with recruiting, but I have more fun watching us win games.  If the team starts to decline, I'll be right there with you, but every year we've been significantly better, and I think everyone unanimously agrees we are set-up to have a really good year.

RazorPiggie

Not going to argue. And I said nothing about wins and losses.

1 player can change a basketball team around. 1 player (most of the time) cannot in football.

Atlhogfan1

Landing Alex Collins wasn't a moral victory in recruiting.  That was an actual victory. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

mhuff

October 23, 2014, 08:39:52 pm #41 Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:27:44 pm by mhuff
Quote from: -Blu on October 22, 2014, 09:00:08 pm

I would have to say that MA's recruiting has a good shot of improving even more dramatically in the next few years. Really a couple of great players and recruits start looking at Arkansas differently. I don't care if they are relatives ,friends ,or whatever...... just so they come and are good citizens.

Here's more info.....free article

: http://arkansas.scout.com/story/1472326-kapita-set-to-visit-arkansas-this-weekend?s=10

-Blu

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 23, 2014, 07:50:46 pm
Not going to argue. And I said nothing about wins and losses.

What are you talking about then?  Everything boils down to wins and losses.  Who cares if you have a top notch recruiter if you don't win. CBB can land every single top ranked kid in the state and get all of the best Florida players, but if he goes winless in the SEC this year and have another bad year next year, he's probably not going to be here too much longer.  Same thing with CMA.  He doesn't make the tournament this year, he's going to be in the hot seat going into his 5th season, and it doesn't matter if he gets kevaughn Allen, Malik Monk, Lebron James or whoever to commit it's all about winning.  See John Pelphrey for example, had a top 10 class and still got fired because he wasn't winning.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 23, 2014, 07:54:24 pm
Landing Alex Collins wasn't a moral victory in recruiting.  That was an actual victory. 

Not knocking Alex Collins he's a great player, was a HUGE pickup.  But, that "recruiting victory" hasn't turned into any SEC wins as of yet, so unless your a fan of winning recruiting battles, bragging about getting a top ranked player and don't do anything with him, is nothing more than a "Moral Victory" to make yourself feel better.  And not just trying to single out football, same thing with basketball, getting Bobby Portis would be nothing more than a moral victory for us if we don't take advantage of his time here and make some noise in the NCAA tournament.

mhuff

Blu, that is spot on. We aren't paying him the big bucks not to win. It would be an understatement to say that many of us here would like to see Arkansas have an established program again. The administration has left us in the desert for almost 15 years now. I say most.... because some on here don't care that much about BB. Personally, I like to see all programs prosper.....male and female. I actually salute anyone who brings honor on the state...... But, we all expect wins in a reasonable length of time. This is a pivotal year for the BB program...... or better be.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on October 23, 2014, 10:00:42 pm
Blu, that is spot on. We aren't paying him the big bucks not to win. It would be an understatement to say that many of us here would like to see Arkansas have an established program again. The administration has left us in the desert for almost 15 years now. I say most.... because some on here don't care that much about BB. Personally, I like to see all programs prosper.....male and female. I actually salute anyone who brings honor on the state...... But, we all expect wins in a reasonable length of time. This is a pivotal year for the BB program...... or better be.

Yea, we can sugarcoat things all we want, but it's all about wins.  You know I'm a huge CMA fan, and I'll even acknowledge missing the tournament this year would put him in the hot seat going into next year, I don't care who you are, your not getting 5 years at Arkansas without making the tournament.

downsouthhawg72

The only thing that worries me more than anything with Ted is the previous coach & co-founder of Huntington Prep is a asst coach for Mizzou Tigers now. Him & the coach of Huntington Prep right now started that school themselves. I hope Ted just falls in love with us this weekend that it want even matter.
DownSouthHawg

-Blu

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on October 23, 2014, 10:14:38 pm
The only thing that worries me more than anything with Ted is the previous coach & co-founder of Huntington Prep is a asst coach for Mizzou Tigers now. Him & the coach of Huntington Prep right now started that school themselves. I hope Ted just falls in love with us this weekend that it want even matter.

I seen that as well Easy and share your concern, and on top of that his coach is the one actually coming on campus with him.  Hard to image a situation where his coach isn't pushing him towards his buddy at Mizzou.  Only thing I can think of is if Arkansas has been on him longer and he really prefers our style of play.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on October 23, 2014, 04:45:29 pm
So.... you rather have moral victories in recruiting, than actually wins on the court/field?  Because that's what I got when you brought up an example from the football team.  They are killing it in recruiting, and bringing a lot of attention to the school that way, but it has yet to turn into any SEC wins. 

Quote from: -Blu on October 23, 2014, 09:49:18 pm
What are you talking about then?  Everything boils down to wins and losses.  Who cares if you have a top notch recruiter if you don't win. CBB can land every single top ranked kid in the state and get all of the best Florida players, but if he goes winless in the SEC this year and have another bad year next year, he's probably not going to be here too much longer.  Same thing with CMA. 

For your sake, please do not continue the football/basketball recruiting comparison. It's not even close to being a legit point. RazorPiggie's post had little, if anything, to do with what you're replying with.

The football Hogs have lost to four top 10 teams this season. Bielema is not in any trouble, and won't be any time soon. Progress is clearly being made.

-Blu

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 23, 2014, 11:27:07 pm
For your sake, please do not continue the football/basketball recruiting comparison. It's not even close to being a legit point. RazorPiggie's post had little, if anything, to do with what you're replying with.

The football Hogs have lost to four top 10 teams this season. Bielema is not in any trouble, and won't be any time soon. Progress is clearly being made.

My posts as you like to quote and add to your signatures are stating that it's about winning, having elite recruiters on staff and all that is nice, however if it doesn't translate to wins it doesn't mean anything.  If you can't understand that basic concept I don't know what to tell you. 

For someone that's so critical of the basketball coach, it's funny you come so quickly to the defense of a football coach that has yet to get a SEC win.  But then again, you are the same person that claims to be a B-Ball fan then disappeared during the basketball teams winning streak last year, to only return after we started to lose again, so we know the deal with you.

And I tried to start this season off fresh and take you off ignore, but I see you still up to the same old stuff, so back on ignore you go.  Have a good year man, and go hogs!  :razorback:

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on October 24, 2014, 02:12:12 am
My posts as you like to quote and add to your signatures are stating that it's about winning, having elite recruiters on staff and all that is nice, however if it doesn't translate to wins it doesn't mean anything.  If you can't understand that basic concept I don't know what to tell you. 

Ignoring the usual petty nonsense, again, your 'concept' is understandable but it's no where close to being in the proper context of what RazorPiggie was saying. You're trying to make up some odd debate over 'moral victories,' Coach Bielema's 1.5 seasons on the job, and basketball recruiting....and frankly, it's not going well.