Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kevin Stallings apologizes for profane postgame incident

Started by intelligence, February 26, 2015, 10:15:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Shorttimer on February 27, 2015, 11:17:42 am
Those who have never euphemistically threatened to "kill" someone have never had a teenage son.

My Dad NEVER threaded to kill me...............he did threaten to give me one ala Fred Sanford once but didn't. I deserved it!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

A Tennessee assistant tattling to Stallings in the handshake line about Baldwin IV would be like Muschamp complaining to Bielema this fall about the DWRRS elevator speed or a Hog player taking a dive to save a time out.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

rkjones

A coach acting inappropriately after his player acts inappropriately?  I think I know where the player gets it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: rkjones on February 27, 2015, 12:32:35 pm
A coach acting inappropriately after his player acts inappropriately?  I think I know where the player gets it.

At that level the player has probably already gotten that attitude and behavior before he ever got to that level.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on February 27, 2015, 12:13:57 pm
A Tennessee assistant tattling to Stallings in the handshake line about Baldwin IV would be like Muschamp complaining to Bielema this fall about the DWRRS elevator speed or a Hog player taking a dive to save a time out.

They should suddenly "stall" the elevator at DDRRS right when the old barn coaches get on to go to the locker room at the half this fall...... ;)

Hoggish1

Quote from: Paul on February 26, 2015, 10:18:20 pm
I respect Stallings for that

Yes and Baldwin played way better after that, if I'm remembering it right.

Dropkick

HotlantaHog

I like Stallings and feel sympathetic to him, but you can't say to a college player ''I'll f---king kill you'' ... that is just WAY WAY over the line. Coaches of major programs understand they are always on stage and everything they say is being recorded. Even on your worst day as a coach, you should have enough discipline not to say that.

He shouldn't be fired, but there ought to be some discipline by Vandy and/or the league.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 27, 2015, 01:37:54 pm
I would take 10 more Stallings coaching in the SEC before I would take 1 more Calipari. 

Ought to be some discipline??  Load of crap.

Haha! Where's John Chaney when we need him!

chiefhawg

So if a player gets upset and says to an opponent I'm going to F***kn kill you he is a thug. But a coach gets upset with a player for a reported taunting indecent and says I'm  going to f***n kill you he is a disciplinarian.

Discipline does not start at game time. Where was the discipline earlier. A famous Army General once said " Discipline makes punishment unnecessary." - General Robert E. Lee while superintendent at West Point. 

Uncommon

Quote from: chiefhawg on February 27, 2015, 03:20:56 pm
So if a player gets upset and says to an opponent I'm going to F***kn kill you he is a thug. But a coach gets upset with a player for a reported taunting indecent and says I'm  going to f***n kill you he is a disciplinarian.

Discipline does not start at game time. Where was the discipline earlier. A famous Army General once said " Discipline makes punishment unnecessary." - General Robert E. Lee while superintendent at West Point.
No, no, no.  Stallings can say whatever he wants because that's how he, a coach, is supposed to speak according to those defending him.

Tim

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 27, 2015, 01:37:54 pm
I would take 10 more Stallings coaching in the SEC before I would take 1 more Calipari. 

Why?

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 27, 2015, 12:48:09 pm
Yes and Baldwin played way better after that, if I'm remembering it right.
The game was over when it happened.

BadHog

Those who have never euphemistically threatened to "kill" someone have never had a teenage son.

Or daughter!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Uncommon

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 27, 2015, 04:33:28 pm
Because I despise how Calipari has helped bastardize college basketball as a whole. 

Anyone who even gets close to taking Stallings literally when he tells his player he's going to "F%^ing kill him" is a blithering PC idiot. 
Why is he mad?  He's mad because a player in his program looked like a low-class idiot on national television.
Stallings also looked like a low class idiot by acting like a complete lunatic and saying things that were obscene at best.

JHGiunta

Quote from: Uncommon on February 26, 2015, 11:53:44 pm
I take most issue with the Tennessee coaches "tattling" on Baldwin.  It was taunting but it wasn't excessive like Richard Sherman doing the choke sign or talking trash type.  Tennessee Tyndalls need to grow a little thicker skin and don't get all butt hurt if a player doesn't hug them and tell them it's going to be all right after they lose.  It's a rivalry game after all.

This! Tattle Tale

rude1

Going over the top on your player for going over the top kind of cancels out the good you did IMO. Wonder did he apologize to the player for the berating he gave him?

Boarcephus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 27, 2015, 02:01:41 pm
Haha! Where's John Chaney when we need him!

+1 for the Chaney reference!  He went after Calipari that day didn't he?

Must be quite a history there for him to explode like that. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Tim

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 27, 2015, 04:33:28 pm
Because I despise how Calipari has helped bastardize college basketball as a whole. 

Show your work here.  By recruiting the best players? 

Boarcephus

Quote from: Tim on February 27, 2015, 06:50:09 pm
Show your work here.  By recruiting the best players? 

That didn't start at UK.  He recruited well at UMass and Memphis  long before he arrived in Lexington.    I don't know if he's dirty or not but he has a history of being one hell of a recruiter. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Tim

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 27, 2015, 06:57:56 pm
That didn't start at UK.  He recruited well at UMass and Memphis  long before he arrived in Lexington.    I don't know if he's dirty or not but he has a history of being one hell of a recruiter.
Yeah I am still wondering how he "bastardized" college basketball.  If he doesn't like Cal as person, then just own it.  Quit making things up. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: Tim on February 27, 2015, 07:01:17 pm
Yeah I am still wondering how he "bastardized" college basketball.  If he doesn't like Cal as person, then just own it.  Quit making things up. 

Like the guy or not, you have to admire his success.  I just did a simple google on him and since 1988, the only two years his teams haven't won at least 20 games was his first two teams.  If he decides to hang around he could very well win 1000 games as a collegiate HC and he did most of his work at inferior schools.  Got a feeling he's a lot like Petrino....if he's yours you love him but if he's theirs you hate him. 

Uncommon

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 27, 2015, 06:12:43 pm
You're right of course. 
Mr. Baldwin would have remembered his lesson better had his coach politely asked him not to tease the players on the other team again.  Not to mention that this wasn't Mr. Baldwin's first incident of this kind, and he was probably sensitive to things his coach might say or do about it.  Feelings could get hurt.
Oh yes because everyone who doesn't take Stallings side is a little b!@#h who gets their feelings hurt too easily.  How about Stallings should've waited to have his "talk" with Baldwin near the locker room and not use the words, "I'll f!@#ing kill you!" over taunting that wasn't excessive in the first place.  Maybe if he would've done that, it's not the first thing talked about on Sportscenter or the Paul Finebaum show the next day.  Ok to be hard on your players and not act like a raging a!!hole making the situation worse and embarrassing your own players but pick the right time and place.  During the post game hand shake line is not the place nor time.

BigSexyHog

Overreact  much.  Who cares
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Uncommon

Quote from: BigSexyHog on February 27, 2015, 07:37:36 pm
Overreact  much.  Who cares
Aren't message boards created to discuss things?  I thought that's what we're doing.

jbcarol

Anita Wadhwani @anitawadhwani  ·  6 hours ago
Vandy's Kevin Stallings' matter 'handled internally' http://tnne.ws/1BJ4aSv  via @tennessean @AdamSparks

Adam Sparks @AdamSparks  ·  5 hours ago
Stallings said game film showed that Wade Baldwin's clapping was "not as egregious as seemed in moment" @MattSlovin

Kevin Stallings:"I don't want anything I say to sound like an excuse for my behavior because there is no excuse for my behavior. None. Zero"

Stallings: "Our team won a hell of a game last night. And today nobody is talking about our performance, and I took that focus off of them"

Kevin Stallings: It's a slow news day. We needed some news, and I provided it. ESPN can thank me for that, I guess.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  22 hours ago
Kevin Stallings will not be suspended by Vanderbilt for post-game incident last night.

jbcarol

Adam Sparks @AdamSparks  ·  2 hours ago
Attendance for Alabama at Vandy -- 9,928

Wade Baldwin now 4-for-4 from 3-pt range. That last trey gave Vandy its first lead

Stallings praises team for overcoming possible distractions for win

Stallings: Bad 1st half was on me (distraction). Good second half was them (players).

Stallings said he loved the ovation for him & especially Wade Baldwin

Stallings: My players want me to coach them hard. They don't want me to be quiet mouse.

Wade Baldwin said he apologized to team at halftime for turnovers, defense. Finished w/ team-high 15 pts, career-high 4 3-ptrs

Wade Baldwin: "I owed the team" a strong performance in the second half

Wade Baldwin on win: "It feels great, I mean the ultimate, (with) the beating in all the press about (Stallings). He is a great coach"

Vandy catches fire in 2nd half to beat Alabama. http://tnne.ws/1zsxXHI 

jchill

Bottom line, Stallings was wrong. He should have handled it behind closed doors. Maybe then he would have gotten an explanation why the kid clapped in the player's face. Regardless of the player's history, Stallings need to stick up for his kid first and then get the facts before acting out. As the coach, Stallings is held to a higher standard. The AD should enact some type of discipline against Stallings, otherwise this could happen again.

jbcarol

Adam Sparks @AdamSparks  ·  5 minutes ago

#Vandy coach Kevin Stallings: "I was disappointed in whining" of some SEC coaches voting to change Memorial Gym coach box

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  3 minutes ago

LRT: I don't know Kevin, probably best to lay low for a little while. Be seen, not heard. Just me.

jbcarol

Matt Slovin @MattSlovin  ·  Mar 2

Donnie Tyndall says Kevin Stallings asked Ty Proffitt about Wade Baldwin's actions after game. Said Proffitt isn't a "tattle-tale."

jbcarol

MSU Men's Basketball @HailStateMBK  ·  1 minute ago
FINAL | Vanderbilt 66, Mississippi State 56

#HailState

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Uncommon on February 27, 2015, 04:54:03 pm
Stallings also looked like a low class idiot by acting like a complete lunatic and saying things that were obscene at best.

What one person thinks is obscene is not in someone else's view. I hate it when people bring in the word "class" into a discussion of what is said. It doesn't make it low class when someone says something like that. This isn't the caste system in the US. What you say, what family you are born into is not indicative of class. Now saying something as he did in public does show disregard for others around you in light of the fact he should have realized it might be picked up by a recording.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 27, 2015, 07:16:15 pm
Like the guy or not, you have to admire his success.  I just did a simple google on him and since 1988, the only two years his teams haven't won at least 20 games was his first two teams.  If he decides to hang around he could very well win 1000 games as a collegiate HC and he did most of his work at inferior schools.  Got a feeling he's a lot like Petrino....if he's yours you love him but if he's theirs you hate him. 

Umass yes. Tiger high in other areas yes, BUT Memphis is not an inferior school when it comes to basketball. They have a long winning tradition. His teams there weren't the first to go to the final four or be rated high in the polls. Don't misconstrue that as thinking I'm a tiger high fan......... I'm not. I can't stand them.

jbcarol

Adam Sparks @AdamSparks  ·  17 hours ago
No #Vandy team has entered SEC tourney on 5-game win streak in 22 years. Can this team do it? http://tnne.ws/1EVgDC1 

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger @HKellenbergerCL  ·  9 minutes ago
HALFTIME: Vanderbilt 46, Ole Miss 33. A preposterous shot at the buzzer going in pretty much says it all.

jbcarol

Dargan Southard @dsouth16  ·  8 hours ago
Tyndall says with the attention that surrounded the Kevin Stallings-Wade Baldwin incident, there will be "a little more pop" added to Thurs.

jbcarol

VandyMBB @VandyMBB  ·  33 minutes ago
Dores fall to the Vols 67-61

Damian Jones with a double-double 20 points and 15 rebounds

jbcarol

Vanderbilt keeps fingers crossed for NIT bid

Quote"I never want to stop playing," Baldwin said after the Commodores' 67-61 loss to UT in the SEC Tournament Thursday night. "I don't want our seniors to go out like this, especially James Siakam, who has played a hell of a season.

"We're crossing our fingers trying to go to the NIT and make Vanderbilt fans and ourselves happy."

The young Commodores (19-13) have a shot at an NIT bid, but those odds may have lessened with their opening SEC Tournament loss to the Vols. Vanderbilt remains one victory shy of reaching the 20-win plateau for the first time in three years.

"Obviously, we hope that we get to keep playing," Stallings said. "The only limitation we have right now in my opinion is that of what you really can't do anything about until you earn it, and that's experience.

"We just need to continue to grow and mature. We have done a lot of growing and a lot of maturing over the course of this season.

"I'm really proud of our basketball team. It's been a while since we have tasted defeat, to be honest with you," Stallings said. "I told them after the game I appreciated that. So they have done all that we have asked them to do, and I'm proud of them and very, very optimistic about their future."

Dr. Starcs

Hope he doesn't kill any of them if/when they don't make the nit.

jbcarol

Adam Sparks @AdamSparks  ·  1 hour ago
#Vandy stepping onto practice court right now at Memorial Gym. Kevin Stallings on NIT: "Our guys are very, very excited."

jbcarol

Vandy Fanatics @VUVandyFanatics  ·  8m 8 minutes ago
Great crowd of @VanderbiltU students already lined up for @VandyMBB NIT game tonight! @slchen_ supplying the gold.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jbcarol on February 27, 2015, 12:13:57 pm

Lol. Yeah, hope the visiting locker room doors.....somehow get hopelessly jammed going into halftime, & doesn't get corrected until 2 minutes before halftime is over....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

jbcarol

Vandy Fanatics @VUVandyFanatics  ·  14h 14 hours ago
A message from Coach Kevin Stallings.

jbcarol

VandyMBB @VandyMBB  ·  12h 12 hours ago

FINAL: STANFORD 78, VANDERBILT 75. Commodores finish season at 21-14. Cardinal move on to New York for NIT Semifinals.

Adam Sparks @AdamSparks  ·  11h 11 hours ago

Stallings on late play for MFD air-ball 3: "Would've been a nice place to get Luke Kornet into the gm cuz he's a big that can shoot it."

Stallings: "I'm very excited about our team & program & where it's at right now. ... We have a whole offseason to make progress."

OneTuskOverTheLine™

/thread...  +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.