Started by factchecker, July 20, 2016, 03:39:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Vantage 8 dude

Obviously an excellent way to start the '18 class. Welcome to the Hill Mr. Noland. Wonderful to see the pipeline of great Greenwood players contributing to the Hog's success just continues to grow.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Hawgzinbowlz

Welcome Mr. Connor Noland. "GO HOGS"

greenie

HardingHog

:razorback: :razorback: WPS :razorback: :razorback:

The_Boot_stops_here

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

FineAsSwine

Woo Pig!!!  ;D :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

FraggleHog

Top 100 baseball recruit... Hope he doesn't bolt to the mlb draft
Calling the Hogs from DFW

1highhog

So he's never started a HS game at QB, correct?

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

Boarcephus

Quote from: Karma on July 20, 2016, 04:48:38 pm

I saw Greenwood play Southside this year and Greenwood played 2 qb's about equally.  The starter was a kid named Luke Hales (I think) and he was a big, burly, 6-2, 220 kid.  Just a good looking athlete and then Noland would come in.  Just as tall but 30 pounds lighter.  Threw a beautiful ball.  Fun system to watch.  Greenwood is a very well coached team but the qb's looked awfully good to me.  Wonder what is happening to Hales??
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PLHawg

I was at the Southside/Greenwood game last year, which was pretty early in the season.  He played about half the snaps at QB and I can assure you he did not play like a sophomore.  In fact, I though to myself "Good Lord, what's this kid going to be like by the time he's a senior."  He not only had uncanny composure for a sophomore, and impressive accuracy, but the boy can scramble with the football.  I predict that by the time he's a Sr., instead of him being ranked the #11 pro style qb, he'll be easily top 5.

whosiskid

You mean he has wowed people in his sophomore season and in camps and combines? Yes, he has blown people away. You mean he has great touch on all his passes (see his highlight reel)? Yes. You mean he has outstanding potential and should be an outstanding Division One QB? Yep. You mean a huge number of top Division One programs had already offered him, with a number of others sniffing around? You bet. Most sought after QB in Arkansas since Mitch Mustain? Yes.

You mean we just got a commit from someone will be one of the top 2 or 3 players from the 2018 class? Yes. I know this is what you meant in between the lines.

But seriously, while I'm apparently one of the few who is less than overwhelmed by the 2017 class so far, this is a great pick up. I assume he has an understanding that he will be allowed to play baseball. I know he had that offer from other schools and I can't imagine we got a commit from someone this outstanding without giving him the option to do what he was going to be able to do elsewhere.

Just a great, great pick up.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

FineAsSwine

phadedhawg

Hog N Bama

Hoggish1

Quote from: FraggleHog on July 20, 2016, 04:31:53 pm
Top 100 baseball recruit... Hope he doesn't bolt to the mlb draft

If he's a top 100 now, one would think that number could get lower with two years still left.

Baseball players of the caliber are hard to keep from going MLB.

Quote from: whosiskid on July 20, 2016, 05:03:54 pm
You mean he has wowed people in his sophomore season and in camps and combines? Yes, he has blown people away. You mean he has great touch on all his passes (see his highlight reel)? Yes. You mean he has outstanding potential and should be an outstanding Division One QB? Yep. You mean a huge number of top Division One programs had already offered him, with a number of others sniffing around? You bet. Most sought after QB in Arkansas since Mitch Mustain? Yes.

You mean we just got a commit from someone will be one of the top 2 or 3 players from the 2018 class? Yes. I know this is what you meant in between the lines.

But seriously, while I'm apparently one of the few who is less than overwhelmed by the 2017 class so far, this is a great pick up. I assume he has an understanding that he will be allowed to play baseball. I know he had that offer from other schools and I can't imagine we got a commit from someone this outstanding without giving him the option to do what he was going to be able to do elsewhere.

Just a great, great pick up.
Actually, I meant "has he ever started a game"?

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 21, 2016, 09:13:53 am
If he's a top 100 now, one would think that number could get lower with two years still left.

Baseball players of the caliber are hard to keep from going MLB.

Yep, or higher. We've had guys on our team that have changed 100+ positions in these various rankings by PG, BA, etc. As was said earlier, which round they are drafted in has a bigger influence on whether they make it to campus. A lot of that also figures in their "sign ability" number. I think the important part is we offered both sports early, and DVH probably likes it because I'm sure Conner would count on the football teams number, freeing up money for him.

OutlawHawg

Good pickup. Isn't Greenwood where Tyler Wilson is from?

FraggleHog

Quote from: ricepig on July 21, 2016, 09:19:30 am
Yep, or higher. We've had guys on our team that have changed 100+ positions in these various rankings by PG, BA, etc. As was said earlier, which round they are drafted in has a bigger influence on whether they make it to campus. A lot of that also figures in their "sign ability" number. I think the important part is we offered both sports early, and DVH probably likes it because I'm sure Conner would count on the football teams number, freeing up money for him.

Article on 247 from today actually states he's the 70th best overall recruit / 20th best pitching recruit... So that makes it even more likely...

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Bolt/Arkansas-gains-first-commitment-for-Class-of-2018-from-4-star-QB-46337659?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=160720_152941_Arkansas%20Razorbacks&utm_content=Link

Although another article from a few weeks ago got a quote from him:

"There’s also the possibility Noland skips college altogether if he’s selected in the 2018 MLB Draft.

“It’d have to be a lot of money for me to skip out on the college experience and education to go play baseball,” Noland said. “I’ve talked about that a lot and definitely have an idea of what I’d want to do in that situation.”"

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-4-star-qb-prospect-connor-noland-closing-in-on-college-decision

ricepig

What will be interesting is to see if we continue to recruit QB's for 2018's class.

FraggleHog

Quote from: OutlawHawg on July 21, 2016, 09:22:23 am
Good pickup. Isn't Greenwood where Tyler Wilson is from?

Correct.... along with the Morgan brothers

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ucahogfan

Quote from: ricepig on July 21, 2016, 09:19:30 am
Yeah, it all depends on the number he will float to scouts his senior year.  I think being a 2 way player will make him a very tough sign unless he is throwing 100 his senior year.  And like you said, DVH has to be extremely happy to get a top 100 player in his class (as of right now) on board without having to use any of the all-important 11.7 he is given.  It will allow DVH, Vitello, and Johnson to give more scholarship money to some other prospects and hopefully get them to sign.

And just to show how important signability is with the new MLB draft rules, a top 70 overall player in 2016 high school class in Dominic Fletcher was not drafted even though he won the Player of the Year award in Oragne County.  Other players who will be on campus in the fall are another top 100 player who was a 36th round pick of the Nationals who is 6-4/220 with 6.7 60 speed (like 4.4-4.5 40 speed) who is from the St. Louis area while a Chicago area RHP who throws 96 was selected in the 31st round by the Cubs and passed up on the draft.  Meanwhile, probably our 4th/5th best left handed pitching signee signed for just over 100K as a 25th round pick of the Brewers.

pigture perfect

Hoping he turns out just as good as the last Greenwood QB we had. Welcome Connor.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HogMantheIntruder

Unless he just really wants to play football (fingers crossed), then I don't see this kid enrolling in college unless he just decides he wants an education after his baseball career is over. If he continues to develop at the rate he's going, he'll have to choose between a seven figure payday vs playing college ball. Of course, he could always take the Chris Weinke route- It'd be a great start to the 2023 recruiting class.  ;)
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

MissippHog

Quote from: Poppa Tart on July 22, 2016, 09:35:18 pm
Unless he just really wants to play football (fingers crossed), then I don't see this kid enrolling in college unless he just decides he wants an education after his baseball career is over. If he continues to develop at the rate he's going, he'll have to choose between a seven figure payday vs playing college ball. Of course, he could always take the Chris Weinke route- It'd be a great start to the 2023 recruiting class.  ;)
So, you're thinking he'll go in the first 2 rounds?  Not many after that get the 7 figure deals.

SamBuckhart

Welcome Mr. Noland. Wooo Pig!    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

FraggleHog

FineAsSwine

Quote from: FraggleHog on July 25, 2016, 08:50:43 am
Smart man... recruiting the O Line he wants protecting him

Tweets composed by the coaching staff.  ;)

FraggleHog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 25, 2016, 10:34:13 am
Tweets composed by the coaching staff.  ;)

You are right, the tweet he retweeted was from the team's account, but he sent it to some big time O-Line recruits