Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema's success with JUCO transfers has been nothing short of amazing.

Started by luke hawg, July 19, 2016, 09:04:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: luke hawg on July 19, 2016, 09:04:20 pm
Spieght drafted
Tretola drafted
Derby drafted
Reed
Ledbetter
only one who failed epic was the big white dude with the boss beard.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on July 19, 2016, 11:08:38 pm
That was all on Austin Flynn who screwed around and got arrested.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

onebadrubi

He got a dui and was sent packing I though?

sickboy

Bielema is a fantastic evaluator of talent. He's proven that.

SkeeterHawg

I believe he was a Petrino recruit so shouldn't count against CBB.

factchecker

I might not have everybody listed but here is my breakdown of our JUCO transfers:

Great

Martrell Spaight
Sebastian Tretola
A.J. Derby (walk-on who was given a scholarship later)
Dominique Reed
Jeremiah Ledbetter
Sam Irwin Hill

Good

Cody Hollister
Carroll Washington
Josh Williams

Bad

Myke Tavarres (transfered and did well at Incarnate Word)
Johnathan McClure (nothing of note)
Tiquention Coleman (did not contribute much at Arkansas)

2016 JUCO signees:

Paul Ramirez
Britto Tutt
Deion Malone
*Possibly Michael Taylor
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

thefisher

Quote from: sickboy on July 19, 2016, 11:43:52 pm
Bielema is a fantastic evaluator of talent. He's proven that.
Agreed. Without question one of his most important yet under appreciated skills.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: factchecker on July 20, 2016, 01:32:09 am
I might not have everybody listed but here is my breakdown of our JUCO transfers:

Great

Martrell Spaight
Sebastian Tretola
Dominique Reed
Jeremiah Ledbetter
Sam Irwin Hill

Good

Cody Hollister
Carroll Washington
Josh Williams

Bad

2016 JUCO signees:

Paul Ramirez
Britto Tutt
Deion Malone
*Possibly Michael Taylor
[/

luke hawg

Im almost positive Mcclure was a BP/JLS recruit that bielema retained in his first class.

navyhog24

The_Iceman

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 20, 2016, 09:28:15 am
Tavares and McClure were from BP and JLS

I don't know about that. Pretty certain that Mike Tavarres was in the same signing class as Spaight. I'd certainly bet my next beer on it if that was possible.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

kkbrody

navyhog24

CBB honored Tavares' and McClure's offers from the previous regime. He didn't necessrily recruit them as they were commits before he was hired.

ricepig

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 20, 2016, 11:05:22 am
CBB honored Tavares' and McClure's offers from the previous regime. He didn't necessrily recruit them as they were commits before he was hired.

Correct, Tavarres committed in August of 2012, and McClure committed in Nov of 2012.

King Kong

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 20, 2016, 10:32:09 am
I don't know about that. Pretty certain that Mike Tavarres was in the same signing class as Spaight. I'd certainly bet my next beer on it if that was possible.

McClure and Tavarres Commited to the JLS coaching staff. CBB honored their commitments.

Side note Taverres is currently on an NFL roster.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: navyhog24 on July 20, 2016, 11:05:22 am

But did CBB not back off of the commits of a couple of other recruits that came before he was hired? I recall some people being upset. IIRC one or two were from LA.

kkbrody

Pretty sure one of the people he told to look elsewhere was Kaleb Blanchard

Hoggish1

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 20, 2016, 11:41:53 am
But did CBB not back off of the commits of a couple of other recruits that came before he was hired? I recall some people being upset. IIRC one or two were from LA.
At least as far as the rb from Louisiana you're absolutely correct. However, in this particular case the young man was not a junior college player. Referring back to the original subject of this thread.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 20, 2016, 01:51:56 pm
At least as far as the rb from Louisiana you're absolutely correct. However, in this particular case the young man was not a junior college player. Referring back to the original subject of this thread.

That is a good point although I am unclear on whether that affected the decision.

010HogFan

He's not too shabby with the grad transfers either (Russell Wilson, Raulerson)

kibster

Quote from: factchecker on July 20, 2016, 01:32:09 am

Great

Martrell Spaight
Sebastian Tretola
Dominique Reed
Jeremiah Ledbetter
Sam Irwin Hill

Good

Cody Hollister
Carroll Washington
Josh Williams

Bad

2016 JUCO signees:

Paul Ramirez
Britto Tutt
Deion Malone
*Possibly Michael Taylor

There is a good chance that Hollister will move to the "great" division after this year.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 20, 2016, 02:40:54 pm
That is a good point although I am unclear on whether that affected the decision.
I seriously doubt it. Again, my comment referred to the fact that this young man wasn't a JUCO player. Therefore, it really has nothing to do with the original topic of whether or not CBB has had very good luck with such players.

bennyl08

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 20, 2016, 03:48:12 pm
I seriously doubt it. Again, my comment referred to the fact that this young man wasn't a JUCO player. Therefore, it really has nothing to do with the original topic of whether or not CBB has had very good luck with such players.

There is some relevance. The question at hand being whether or nor Tavarres and McClure count on CBB's' resume or not. If he didn't honor everybody's scholarships, then by keeping the players, it meant he approved of them as if they were his own. However, if he honored every scholarship, then he was simply being honorable and we can't say whether he approved of each player.

Of course, there is the third, more nuanced option than the two extremes above in that time was short for recruiting and having to start from zero would be very tough, so he kept scholly offers to some players just for numbers sake and only revoked those that were particularly outside the culture he wanted. So, still some relevance into HS players who kept or were revoked of their scholly's once CBB came in determining his success or lack of input in the two mentioned.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: King Kong on July 20, 2016, 11:12:27 am
McClure and Tavarres Commited to the JLS coaching staff. CBB honored their commitments.

Side note Taverres is currently on an NFL roster.

Holy crap, you are right! I didn't believe it when I read it, but sure enough. He put up pretty solid pro day numbers as well. Pretty athletic guy, just a bit on the short end and lacking top end speed. Hope he does well. Would be cool if Redskins and Eagles play in the preseason to see Speight and Tavarres in the same game together.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 21, 2016, 12:09:22 am
There is some relevance. The question at hand being whether or nor Tavarres and McClure count on CBB's' resume or not. If he didn't honor everybody's scholarships, then by keeping the players, it meant he approved of them as if they were his own. However, if he honored every scholarship, then he was simply being honorable and we can't say whether he approved of each player.

Of course, there is the third, more nuanced option than the two extremes above in that time was short for recruiting and having to start from zero would be very tough, so he kept scholly offers to some players just for numbers sake and only revoked those that were particularly outside the culture he wanted. So, still some relevance into HS players who kept or were revoked of their scholly's once CBB came in determining his success or lack of input in the two mentioned.

Pretty close to what I was thinking when I asked my question.

ricepig

I'm pretty sure he honored everyone that had an offer BP/JLS. Also, these were JUCO's that were signing in a couple of weeks after his hire.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ricepig on July 21, 2016, 08:12:53 am
I'm pretty sure he honored everyone that had an offer BP/JLS. Also, these were JUCO's that were signing in a couple of weeks after his hire.

Timing may have been an issue with these guys I guess but I do think they pulled back off of a couple recruits that committed pre-CBB. Somebody said Blanchard and I do remember people talking about that.

ricepig

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 21, 2016, 08:20:43 am
Timing may have been an issue with these guys I guess but I do think they pulled back off of a couple recruits that committed pre-CBB. Somebody said Blanchard and I do remember people talking about that.

He committed to JLS and de-committed on Dec 19. I think you are confusing him with the two kids from Dutchtown?? LA that committed after summer camp and Bielema pulled their offers later, this would have been his second class.

azhog10

Could also be that for the positions he didn't have anything he could have brought in. At running back he had Alex Collins in his back pocket and I think we all would take Collins over Blanchard.

jackflash

always like JC kids with the right coach could be very good for the HOGS BB has proven ed this to be so