Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Meet the Mets 2008

Started by SPAL, February 15, 2008, 02:10:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

Oliver Miller talks the Mets

Oliver

Well it took me until now to finally get over last season.  I said at the end of last year that if Minaya kept Willie Randolph on as manager, he better make at least ONE big move to make up for it.  Well, I think we can call landing the best pitcher in MLB a big move.  Finally, we have a real number one starter!  A guy that can dominate any lineup in baseball and go toe-to-toe with any other team's number one starter.  A guy who can burn more than 200+ innings a year and make it past the 7th inning.  With this acquisition, we can finally move John Maine and Oliver Perez to the 3 and 4 spots which is where they should be.  They are excellent 3 and 4 spot guys.  We'll be getting Duaner Sanchez back this year which means we will have our setup man back.  We added by subtraction when Shawn Green's contract expired.  I like the fact that we resigned Luis Castillo despite his age.  If healthy, he is one of the best defensive 2nd basemen in the game and a nice average hitter than can move Reyes into scoring position.  I also am really glad we didn't resign Tom Glavine.  Nevermind his complete and utter collapse the last game of the season last year, he was too old and inconsistent to take a chance on again.  He would throw a one run 6 inning game and then come right back and give up 5 or 6 runs in 4 innings the next game.  Now that he's a Brave again, I'm sure he'll put up numbers like these again...15-6 with an ERA of around 3.20.

Now let's talk about some not so great stuff.  Looking at the Mets starting lineup...

1.  Reyes
2.  Castillo
3.  Wright
4.  Beltran
5.  Delgado
6.  Alou
7.  R. Church
8.  Schneider

A lot of question marks after the first 3 spots.  Beltran is too streaky of a hitter to be an effective clean-up hitter.  Delgado can't be much worse than he was last year but that's not saying too much.  Alou is fantastic when he's healthy which is about 1/3 of the year.  And don't count me in on the people that thought trading Milledge for Church and Schneider was a good move.  At one point in time, we were talking about trading Milledge for Barry Zito back when Zito was good.  We end up swapping him for a defensive catcher that can't hit and a mediocre outfielder that can't hit lefty pitching.  I guess Church is an upgrade over Shawn Green and I wasn't exactly begging Minaya to re-sign LoDuca.   But I thought we could probably do better than those guys for Lastings Milledge.  I do like the fact that Ramon Castro will be platooning with Schneider a lot more than he did for LoDuca last year.

Now I know that people are already penciling in Santana's name in for the NL Cy Young award next year and some are even penciling us in as the NL East champs this year.  Not so fast, we were the best team in the East on paper last year too and look what happened.  This whole team needs some fire this year.  I really hope that Santana and the return of Pedro will help bring that fire this year. 

We need to play like we're the team with something to prove.  That team was Philly last year, not us. 

Brooklyn Ross, chiefsfan, and all you other Mets fans...join in. 

gutshot

Looking forward to another season of level-headed dialogue with you classy Hogville Mets fans.  Can't find that anywhere else.  Good luck to all.

Oh, btw, I think that addition-by-subtraction of Shawn Green applies to the Braves, too.  He absolutely murdered us.

Oliver

Quote from: gutshot on February 15, 2008, 04:18:40 pm
Looking forward to another season of level-headed dialogue with you classy Hogville Mets fans.  Can't find that anywhere else.  Good luck to all.

Oh, btw, I think that addition-by-subtraction of Shawn Green applies to the Braves, too.  He absolutely murdered us.

LOL.  True.  I forgot about Shawn Green absolutely owning John Smoltz.  Sometimes you have to just shake your head and say, "Go figure."

LVW

This may seem small but I would think it would be important- Reyes is who makes the offense go and his subpar offense in September(.205/.279/.333 and only 5 for 9 in steals) was a pretty important key in the collapse.

He plays so hard and all the steals and playing SS and all the dives back into 1st base takes its toll, I think they need to find a reliable backup SS that can cut his games down from 160 to somewhere between 145 and 148 so the same thing won't happen to him again.
Van_the_man_Unusual

width=250 height=156]http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8279/chapman.jpg

SPAL

Will Pedro ever be Pedro again?

If so, with Pedro and "Yo Han" that could be a tough 1-2 punch.

LVW

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 17, 2008, 08:13:34 am
Will Pedro ever be Pedro again?

If so, with Pedro and "Yo Han" that could be a tough 1-2 punch.

if you mean the 95 fastball, 220 innings barely scraping a 2 ERA with 250-300 Ks Pedro, then I seriously doubt it; if you're talking about the Pedro of his 1st year in a Mets uniform then yes he can with about 40-50 fewer innings.

he'll probably be treated like Maddux has been the last couple of years- get your 6 innings in and hit the showers.
Van_the_man_Unusual

Oliver

February 22, 2008, 09:38:51 am #7 Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:45:09 am by Oliver Miller
So Carlos Beltran is talking trash now.  The guy who goes down looking in the bottom of the 9th of Game 7 of the NLCS is talking trash.  The guy who hasn't come up with the big hit since his one post season as an Astro is talking trash.  Well good.  I'd like to see him step up and show some signs of life.  I'd like all the Met players to start showing some signs of life.  Sure it's cocky...but it's the good kind of cocky.  Last year they were silently cocky...thinking that everything would be alright and the division was theirs to lose.  I just hope that when September rolls around this year, Beltran and the other Mets back up this talk.

chiefsfan

Miller forgot the greatest Met Move made this offseason

They managed to get rid of Guillermo Mota without having to pay up the rest of his contract
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Oliver

Quote from: chiefsfan on February 23, 2008, 12:36:39 pm
Miller forgot the greatest Met Move made this offseason

They managed to get rid of Guillermo Mota without having to pay up the rest of his contract

I swore I would never speak of his name again. 

Oliver

It's a good thing that pre-season baseball means absolutely nothing...because the Mets are picking up right where they left off last season.  Nobody can get a hit and the pitching is getting destroyed by spring training scrub hitters.  Johan Santana gave up a 3 run shot to Juan Gone today.  I imagine that this is just the precursor to Santana having a very sub-par year.  I can hear the "He needs time to adjust to the NL" excuses already.

SPAL

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 29, 2008, 01:29:31 pm
It's a good thing that pre-season baseball means absolutely nothing...because the Mets are picking up right where they left off last season.  Nobody can get a hit and the pitching is getting destroyed by spring training scrub hitters.  Johan Santana gave up a 3 run shot to Juan Gone today.  I imagine that this is just the precursor to Santana having a very sub-par year.  I can hear the "He needs time to adjust to the NL" excuses already.

hahaha...u crack me up. You are by far the most negative poster on this board. Ole oliver is ready to write the mets off after day 1 of spring training.

RocknRollRazorback

"You're no rock and roll fun! Like a party that's over before it begun. You're no walk in the park- more like a shot in the dark with clues left for no one."

Oliver

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on February 29, 2008, 09:07:04 pm
hahaha...u crack me up. You are by far the most negative poster on this board. Ole oliver is ready to write the mets off after day 1 of spring training.

My post was more of a joke than not...spring training means zip.  BUT, if you have been a Mets fan and Razorback fan for the last 20 years, you'd understand the pessimism and negativity.

LVW

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 29, 2008, 01:29:31 pm

considering Juan was 6 for 7 with 2 doubles and 2 HRs in his career vs Johan i wouldn't put Santana on the waiver wire just yet.
Van_the_man_Unusual

SPAL

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 01, 2008, 12:35:56 am
My post was more of a joke than not...spring training means zip.  BUT, if you have been a Mets fan and Razorback fan for the last 20 years, you'd understand the pessimism and negativity.

haha...oh im the same way with regards to the hogs. Ill tell ya the hogs are gonna lose if we lose the toss.

SPAL

Quote from: LVW on March 01, 2008, 01:05:21 am
considering Juan was 6 for 7 with 2 doubles and 2 HRs in his career vs Johan i wouldn't put Santana on the waiver wire just yet.

I gotta admit...you know your stuff. You can spout off any stat known to man...+1

Oliver

Quote from: LVW on March 01, 2008, 01:05:21 am

Trust me, you won't be hearing very many negatives about Johan from me this year regardless of his performance.  There's a Met totem pole for distributing negativity...

1.  Carlos Delgado
2.  Aaron Heilman
3.  Carlos Beltran

and so on...Santana is down there with Wright and Reyes.

Btw, Juan should just quit now and say that he had the best career numbers against Santana.

LVW

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 01, 2008, 12:12:55 pm
Trust me, you won't be hearing very many negatives about Johan from me this year regardless of his performance.  There's a Met totem pole for distributing negativity...

1.  Carlos Delgado
2.  Aaron Heilman
3.  Carlos Beltran

and so on...Santana is down there with Wright and Reyes.

Btw, Juan should just quit now and say that he had the best career numbers against Santana.

I have some Mets fans friends around here and last year's list would have looked like:

1. Mota
2. Schoenweiss(he was actually a close 2nd to Mota)
3. Green
4. Randolph
5. Delgado
Van_the_man_Unusual

Oliver

Quote from: LVW on March 01, 2008, 08:10:27 pm
I have some Mets fans friends around here and last year's list would have looked like:

1. Mota
2. Schoenweiss(he was actually a close 2nd to Mota)
3. Green
4. Randolph
5. Delgado

That's pretty much what who my list consisted of last year.  I'm so glad we're rid of Mota.  He was a 'roiding cheater. 

Oliver

So I realize that Omar Minaya just landed Johan Santana for a bag of baseballs...BUT...he also has been busy signing a bunch of old players the last 2 to 3 years. 

So when Moises Alou undergoes hernia surgery today, El Duque is having to find a new pitching style to use so he won't hurt any of his muscles or bunions, Luis Castillo is coming off off-season knee surgery, and Carlos Delgado is having hip problems (he would suck even if he was healthy)...Minaya says this, "I myself have never seen so many injuries at one time."  Here's a tip.  Stop stocking up on old talent.  No more Jose Valentin's or Saenz's. 

At this rate, this will be our opening day lineup...

Anderson Hernandez (SS), David Wright (3B), Angel Pagan (CF), Olmedo Saenz (1B), Fernando Martinez (RF), Brady Clark (LF), Raul Casanova (C) and Gregory Veloz (2B)

LVW

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 05, 2008, 09:17:45 pm
So I realize that Omar Minaya just landed Johan Santana for a bag of baseballs...BUT...he also has been busy signing a bunch of old players the last 2 to 3 years. 

So when Moises Alou undergoes hernia surgery today, El Duque is having to find a new pitching style to use so he won't hurt any of his muscles or bunions, Luis Castillo is coming off off-season knee surgery, and Carlos Delgado is having hip problems (he would suck even if he was healthy)...Minaya says this, "I myself have never seen so many injuries at one time."  Here's a tip.  Stop stocking up on old talent.  No more Jose Valentin's or Saenz's. 

At this rate, this will be our opening day lineup...

Anderson Hernandez (SS), David Wright (3B), Angel Pagan (CF), Olmedo Saenz (1B), Fernando Martinez (RF), Brady Clark (LF), Raul Casanova (C) and Gregory Veloz (2B)

just make sure that pedro, johan pitch shutouts everytime out and maine and perez half the time each and you win the east.......simple enough.
Van_the_man_Unusual

SPAL

Oliver, You are comic relief

Oliver

Quote from: LVW on March 05, 2008, 10:21:32 pm

just make sure that pedro, johan pitch shutouts everytime out and maine and perez half the time each and you win the east.......simple enough.

I'm not worried about our pitching staff.  I know everyone else is...but Johan is better than anyone else in the NL East.  Maine and Perez were fantastic last year and will be great 3 and 4 guys.  If Pedro can stay healthy, I expect him to win about 12 games this year with an ERA of around 3.25. 

But our lineup is VERY questionable.  Very old lineup and guys like Delgado and Alou are old and washed up.  If they even resembled themselves from 5 years ago, we'd be the most dangerous lineup in the NL East.  I can't see our offense really producing this year.

Oliver

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 05, 2008, 10:33:40 pm
Oliver, You are comic relief

I read your post before you changed it to this one.  No, we don't still have Lastings Milledge.  We decided to trade him for an OF that couldn't start on the Nationals and a catcher who can't hit the ball. 

Oh, and thanks on the comic relief part.  :)

SPAL

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 05, 2008, 10:39:20 pm
I read your post before you changed it to this one.  No, we don't still have Lastings Milledge.  We decided to trade him for an OF that couldn't start on the Nationals and a catcher who can't hit the ball. 

Oh, and thanks on the comic relief part.  :)

who did u trade him for?

Im GLAD he is gone

Oliver

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 05, 2008, 10:50:33 pm
who did u trade him for?

Im GLAD he is gone

Well Ryan Church and Brian Schneider of course.  I'll probably be able to count on one hand how many good things they will be able to do for us this year.  Meanwhile, Milledge is pretty close to leading the league in hitting during Spring Training.

stronguard

Isn't Johnny Estrada in the cathcing mix for the Mets. 

I also expect the Pelphry (sp?) kid from Vandy to step up this year.  He has been pretty impressive in the minors and I thin he had a couple of nice outings in the big show last year.

Count stronguard as a Mets fan.  LETS GO METS
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Oliver

Quote from: stronguard on March 09, 2008, 09:33:37 pm
Isn't Johnny Estrada in the cathcing mix for the Mets. 

I also expect the Pelphry (sp?) kid from Vandy to step up this year.  He has been pretty impressive in the minors and I thin he had a couple of nice outings in the big show last year.

Count stronguard as a Mets fan.  LETS GO METS

Welcome stronguard!  We need all the fans we can get.  Estrada was released by the Mets.  We just traded for him to get rid of steroid Mota. 

Pelfrey could be good this year...he could be terrible this year...he has all the promise in the world but has no consistency whatsoever.  If he pitches, I expect him to be our 5th starter and put up 8-7 with 4.20 ERA.

stronguard

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 10, 2008, 08:54:23 pm
Welcome stronguard!  We need all the fans we can get.  Estrada was released by the Mets.  We just traded for him to get rid of steroid Mota. 

Pelfrey could be good this year...he could be terrible this year...he has all the promise in the world but has no consistency whatsoever.  If he pitches, I expect him to be our 5th starter and put up 8-7 with 4.20 ERA.

OK, Guess I missed that release.  Too bad, I was happy to trade LoDuca for Estrada with Schnieder giving him a rest every now and then.

If I remember right Pelfrey was the #2 guy at Vendy and Price(TB) was the #1.  I also seem to remember that Price had the better makeup, and Pelfrey had nasty stuff but could be rattled.  Am I remembering this correctly?

I've been a Mets fan since 1988 when my childhood hero Kevin McReynolds arranged for myself and my family to attend the STL series at Busch.  After the Saturday game he met us at our hotel and took us to the Adam's Mark and introduced me to the entire team.  Strawberry, Gooden, Carter, HoJo, Tueffel, Ojeda, Darling, Franco and Hernandez just to name a few.  Needless to say I've been hooked ever since.

After reading the entire thread I'm fascinated by the way last seasons epic CHOKE has tarnished our expectations for this year.  I'm looking forward to the season this year because this team has a chance.  How many times have we gone into a season without a prayer since 86? 

This team has ample pitching which is the foundation for ANY success.  I noticed that some dislike Heilmann.  I think he has nasty stuff, but he does tend to get too down on himself when he gives up a run or two.  He seems to fall apart.  But I think he could be very useful especially as a spot starter if we need to give Pedro a rest or let Pelfry skip a turn in the roto.

We also have the best left side infield in the majors.  Wright and Reyes are electric. MAN CRUSH ALERT!!  I'm 32 and I asked my wife for a David Wright jersey last Christmas.  I think he's a HOF'er.
Castillo may not be Chase Utley, but he's a saavy vet with sick D and a servicable batter and runner.  I think Carlos D was hurt most of last year and he should bounce back to more respectable numbers.  Carlos B is a 5 tool player, IMO one of the best CF's in the game.  He doesn't need to bat cleanup though.  2nd or 6th would be ideal for him.

Anyway, I'll be checking this thread every so often to see how the season is going and try to get any news I might have missed on my Mets.  LETS GO METS

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

UhOhioHog

I'm a Rangers fan in the AL and a Dodgers fan in the NL.  I can't stand Philadelphia or the stinkin Yankees!  I recently started a franchise with the Mets in MLB 2K8 and just bought a Mets road Jersey. 

I hereby humbly request permission from Mets fandom here on Hogville to become a Mets fan!  I do not like fair weather fans.  But I do think this is a good year to be pulling for the good guys from Queens!

Oliver

Quote from: TexasHogfan on March 23, 2008, 10:06:32 pm
I'm a Rangers fan in the AL and a Dodgers fan in the NL.  I can't stand Philadelphia or the stinkin Yankees!  I recently started a franchise with the Mets in MLB 2K8 and just bought a Mets road Jersey. 

I hereby humbly request permission from Mets fandom here on Hogville to become a Mets fan!  I do not like fair weather fans.  But I do think this is a good year to be pulling for the good guys from Queens!

We never say no!  Welcome!

UhOhioHog

stronguard

TexasHogfan is good people.  That's a fact.  He adopted me as a Red Wing many kobeers ago.  Welcome.

Oliver

Well, yesterday was a good day for Johan Santana and the Mets.  It's the first time the Mets have traded for an opening day pitcher and that pitcher has won on opening day.  So hopefully, that is a good sign of what's to come.  Apart from a mishap to Josh Willingham (who might be put up there with Chipper Jones and Pat Burrell in the Met killer hall of fame before it's all said and done), Santana was close to perfect.  David Wright cleared the bases with a 3 run double and Ryan Church, Angel Pagan, and Jose Reyes all had RBI's.  Tonight, Pedro takes the hill against Vandenhurk.

Oliver

April 01, 2008, 09:48:03 pm #35 Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:51:43 pm by Oliver Miller
Well, the game tonight returned me back to Mets reality.  First age strikes again with Pedro going down with a hamstring injury...nobody saw that coming.  It doesn't look serious but it really doesn't matter because he was sucking on the mound anyway.  Then, an all too familiar sight came after Pedro went down.  The bullpen going 6 innings of shutout ball and none of the loser Met batters could get a hit off the Marlins bullpen.  We can't hit a bullpen...any bullpen.  Throw a rookie reliever out there against the Mets and boom...scoreless inning.  I'm sick of the Carlos's.  I can't wait until either is off the team.  And if you are reading this sir-pigs...don't worry about the Braves bullpen being bad because we don't have anybody that could hit them anyway.  Despite our sorry ass lineup, props to the bullpen.  You gave up the winning run but you shut down the Marlins bats long enough to where the San Francisco Giants offense probably could have put a run for you.

Oliver

If the Mets didn't read my post about yesterday's game, they sure played like they did.   Every Met starter except Luis Castillo had an RBI...even Carlos Delgado.  I'm really beginning to like Ryan Church and Brian Schneider.  Their defense far exceeds Shawn Green's and Paul LoDuca's as well as their bats.  I still don't like the fact we gave up Milledge for them but it definitely upgraded us in 2 positions since last year.  Church was the first Met to hit a HR this year...hitting a 2 run shot and driving in 3 RBI's altogether.  Schneider had 2 RBI's and the unsung hero, Angel Pagan, went 2 for 4 with 1 RBI.  Oliver Perez goes 6 strong, striking out 8 and allowing no runs, getting his first win of the year.  Overall, complete 180 from yesterday's game. 

Although, Pedro Martinez was put on the DL today with a hamstring injury.  He will be out 4 to 6 weeks.  Although I love Pedro, we did just fine without him last year and I think we'll be able to do the same this year...especially with the addition of Santana.  Get well soon Pedro!

UhOhioHog

No kidding, you should vent more often.  Last year the local Dallas media was bashing Rudy Jaramillo(Rangers hitting coach) and the next day they hung 30 on Baltimore!

You seem to have a similar effect!

BrooklynRoss

April 03, 2008, 10:31:59 am #38 Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 10:39:41 am by BrooklynRoss
"Every Met starter except Luis Castillo had an RBI...even Carlos Delgado." Hahahahaha, I see that the season has started and you, my man Ollie, are back to form.

I can't believe how much more support the Mets have on Hogville this year. Thank of all you guys for joining in and keep it up.

Well, folks, we're only 3 games in and already the NL MVP is a two-man race. So who will it be?

Ryan Church or Brian Schneider?

Brand spanking new outfielder Ryan Church is swinging a hot bat to the tune of a .385 average with a dinger and 4 RBI in three games, while fellow-winter acquisition Brian Schneider, a catcher who by all accounts is among the top in the league at managing a pitching staff, is  clocking in with 3 RBI and a blistering .500 OBP.

To once again quote Ollie, "I'm really beginning to like Ryan Church and Brian Schneider."

These two guys may not maintain this pace, but one guy who most likely will is David Wright. Last April, Wright started things off in a major slump recording only 6 RBI and no homers for the entire month. Things are different this year as he's put a systematic beat-down on the Marlins' pitching staff. He's already matched last years RBI output in just 3 games and last night he sent a ball into low-Earth orbit to tack 3 more runs onto a 5-zilch lead.

All of this hitting means nothing, however, if the pitching can't click. There are two ways to look at the early 4-6 week loss of #2 starter and future first-vote Hall-of-Famer Pedro Martinez.

1. Our already shallow (no solid 5th spot starter) starting crew takes a big hit without Pedro, and it eventually will effect the bullpen negatively because of all the extra innings.

2. It's never too early for this team to admit that Pedro can't really be counted on for much beyond being the best clubhouse guy in the league  and start building a more realistic crew of starters.

Ollie's been saying #2 for well over a year now, and frankly I'm starting to agree. But where does that leave the Mets pitching?

We know they can go with 4 starters (Santana, Perez, Maine, and some combination of El Duque, Pelphrey, and Nelson Figueroa) until the schedule forces them to go with 5, but who will be starting then?

Maybe I should start warming up my arm? (I went 22-4 for the MLB THE SHOW '07 Mets last year with a 2.45 ERA. My fast ball reached into the high-90's and I mixed in a brick-wall circle-change and slurve to die for but who's counting?)

I guess for now, we'll have to watch and see how Omar and Willy handle this year's pitching snafu. I was very pleased with how Perez stepped-up and made a statement with his 6-inning dominant performance. Hell, he only had one base runner in scoring position all day and that was because of a rare error  by Castillo who was basically trying to fake-drop a line-drive to make a double-play.

Until next time, this is Brooklyn Ross waving you around third and spitting some cliche about championships being won in April.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

stronguard

I think David Wright needs to get in on that MVP race.  There's no need to narrow it down to 2 so early.

Pedro is hurt,  Heilmann has been pitching much better.  Life is give and take.  But the way we are hitting the ball WE DON"T NEED NO STINKIN PITCHERS! 

Lets Go Mets

gutshot

April 03, 2008, 11:01:30 am #40 Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 11:09:28 am by gutshot
Quote from: BrooklynRoss on April 03, 2008, 10:31:59 am

Well, folks, we're only 3 games in and already the NL MVP is a two-man race. So who will it be?

Ryan Church or Brian Schneider?

These two guys may not maintain this pace, but one guy who most likely will is David Wright.

David Wright will win the MVP, the Gold Glove, the silver slugger, the Cy Young, the Presidential race, American Idol, and custody of Britney's kids.  Sorry to sound bitter, but I'm still miffed at the fact that Wright and his 21 errors won the gold glove last season.  Apparantly Mizuno felt the same way, because they gave Chipper (only 9 errors and a higher fielding % than President Wright) his "Gold Glove bonus check" even though he didn't actually earn recieve the award.  Wright will forever be one of those great players that I can never like, regardless of the numbers he puts up or where he ends up playing.

stronguard

Quote from: gutshot on April 03, 2008, 11:01:30 am

David Wright will win the MVP, the Gold Glove, the silver slugger, the Cy Young, the Presidential race, American Idol, and custody of Britney's kids.  Sorry to sound bitter, but I'm still miffed at the fact that Wright and his 21 errors won the gold glove last season.  Apparantly Mizuno felt the same way, because they gave Chipper (only 9 errors and a higher fielding % than President Wright) his "Gold Glove bonus check" even though he didn't actually earn recieve the award.  Wright will forever be one of those great players that I can never like, regardless of the numbers he puts up or where he ends up playing.

Met hater.  Chipper didn't win the Golden Glove because he's a flamer.  He's the reason John Rocker quit the Braves, couldn't handle Chipper hitting on him in the shower.

Oliver

Exactly right Brooklyn.  And yes, thanks to the growing Mets fan population on here.  Last year I could only remember Brooklyn, chiefsfan, and myself holding down the fort. 

In regards to Pedro, Alou, and El Duque.  All three were great pickups.  When healthy, they are fantastic players.  However, YOU CANNOT put yourself in a position to where you are relying on them to stay healthy.  We kind of fixed that problem with Alou by picking up Church and Pagan.  And it leaves Endy Chavez and Marlon Anderson as OF backups.  But we haven't fixed the problem with El Duque and Pedro.  Granted it was kind of hard to fix both since we already replaced one of our old starters in Tom Glavine with Johan Santana...no easy feat.  But if you look at who we have to replace Pedro and El Duque, it's guys that have been terrible (Pelfrey) and guys who haven't pitched in a few years (Nelson Figueroa).  I really think throwing Pelfrey out there is like waving the white flag before the game starts.  I like the kid but we just can't seem to win games with him on the mound.  I saw we pick up somebody like the guy that Milwaukee just released (I can't remember his name).  El Duque should be back soon, but that doesn't mean he will be around for very long. 

Regardless, if Santana, Perez, and Maine can pitch well like they have been...that's a good 1,2,3 punch and we would just need one more starter to not completely suck and we'll be alright.

BrooklynRoss

If the stats hold up, there's at least one gay guy on every team. I nominate Chipper Jones for the Braves. As far as the Mets go, take your pick. The only obvious guy playing in helium loafers is John Rocker. Outspoken homophobes are notorious closet-cases.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

gutshot

Quote from: stronguard on April 03, 2008, 11:14:47 am
Met hater.  Chipper didn't win the Golden Glove because he's a flamer.  He's the reason John Rocker quit the Braves, couldn't handle Chipper hitting on him in the shower.

A very proud, but respectful Met Hater...Just ask Oliver Miller and Brooklyn Ross.  We had some very classy exchanges last season.....But I think it's flat-out classic that Chipper named his son "Shea" after owning the Mets for all those years.  On a similar note, Oliver Perez should be welcoming a son named Turner into the world in no time. 

chiefsfan

Quote from: gutshot on April 03, 2008, 11:01:30 am

Dont hate what you cant understand
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Oliver

Quote from: gutshot on April 03, 2008, 11:57:52 am
A very proud, but respectful Met Hater...Just ask Oliver Miller and Brooklyn Ross.  We had some very classy exchanges last season.....But I think it's flat-out classic that Chipper named his son "Shea" after owning the Mets for all those years.  On a similar note, Oliver Perez should be welcoming a son named Turner into the world in no time. 

Yeah, gutshot.  You're an okay guy considering your a Braves fan.  :)

About Wright winning the Gold Glove over Chipper...the Gold Glove isn't just about your defense.  It's the way it should be but it isn't the way it is.  Chipper was injured for a portion of last year and Wright ended up with much better numbers across the board...that's why he won it.  It's illogical but it's how it goes.  As big of a stud as Wright is, I always cringe on his long throws to first base.  He's usually good with them but pulls Delgado off the bag way too much. 

gutshot

Quote from: Oliver Miller on April 03, 2008, 12:41:54 pm
Yeah, gutshot.  You're an okay guy considering your a Braves fan.  :)

Chipper was injured for a portion of last year and Wright ended up with much better numbers across the board...   

I hope those numbers you're talking about are total chances, put outs, and assists....If not, I'll just agree to disagree and move on.

Oliver

Quote from: gutshot on April 03, 2008, 01:26:47 pm
I hope those numbers you're talking about are total chances, put outs, and assists....If not, I'll just agree to disagree and move on.

No, I'm talking about offensive numbers.  Think they don't make a difference in Gold Gloves?  If they didn't Rey Ordonez would have won many Gold Gloves for us back in his SS days for us.  But Gold Glove winners usually don't win Gold Gloves if they are holding a .200 average at the plate.  Not saying Chipper did, but his offensive numbers were not as good as Wright's numbers last year.  Gold Gloves make no sense anyway.  Derek Jeter won a Gold Glove in a year that AROD didn't and AROD had less errors than Jeter did that year. 

gutshot

Runs   Hits    2B    3B    HR    RBI   BB    K     AVG    OBP     SLG    E   F%
Wright  113    196    42     1     30    107  94   115   .311   .388    .533   21 .954
Jones   108    173    42     4     29    102  82   75     .337   .425    .604   9  .971

I wouldn't call Wright's numbers "much better across the board" by any means.  And like you said, Chipper played about 134 Games to Wright's 160.