Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's your favorite Razorback moment?

Started by Amityvillehogger, March 07, 2005, 10:42:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Amityvillehogger

March 07, 2005, 10:42:57 am Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 08:09:32 am by Amityvillehogger
I'm not that old, so mine would have to be miracle on markem.  Jones to Birmingham, "touchdown arkansas"!!

Maybe even the final game of the super regional last year and hogs going to omaha.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

CharlieHog

Brady Toops' grand slam. Absolutely no question whatsoever for me.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: CharlieHog on March 07, 2005, 10:46:02 am

That ones right up there too...wonder how many of these will be baseball moments.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

artyhog

Mine was not just a game, but many.  I loved watching the Triplets play.  That is when I became a BB fan.  Then you add the T&F teams.  Then add in teh Diamond Hogs.  Plus all the other Hog teams, male and female.

That is why I am such a Razorback fan.  Hog teams year round.

RebelliousHog

There are so many that it is hard to name just one. Most of mine center around football, because that is my main interest. The National Championship game in Bball. The OU game in the Orange Bowl. The Cotton bowl game with Nebraska. The miracle on markham. The Texas game of the Century with Nixon at the game. I couldn't begin to name one. 
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

HogInMemphis

Mine is easy - the day they fired Nolan Richardson. That was a great day for U of A athletics. Loved the timing on it too - fired right before the last game of the season. What a slap in the face!

And they killed his horse too! What a punch to the kidneys!

WindyCityHog

Twofold for me....

Whatever year it was....Hogs beat an undefeated Texas A & M team rather handily....and go on to the Cotton Bowl ('74?)....That was the day I went from a fan to a Razorback diehard (at the tender age of 9)...

...and of course....that April night in '94 when the Hogs beat Duke for the national championship....I went out on my deck and literally howled at the moon....and wishing I was on Dickson.

I'm getting all misty-eyed just thinking about it...

HogInMemphis

Quote from: WindyCityHog on March 07, 2005, 11:03:53 am
Twofold for me....

Whatever year it was....Hogs beat an undefeated Texas A & M team rather handily....and go on to the Cotton Bowl ('74?)....That was the day I went from a fan to a Razorback diehard (at the tender age of 9)...

...and of course....that April night in '94 when the Hogs beat Duke for the national championship....I went out on my deck and literally howled at the moon....and wishing I was on Dickson.

I'm getting all misty-eyed just thinking about it...

I was at that game. Great time. It would have made a diehard Hog fan out of anyone who wasn't one already. It was late in the season of '75, not '74. I was 13. A&M came in #2 in the country and 10-0. We beat the stew out of them in LR, something like 31-6. We went to the Jan. 1, 1976 Cotton Bowl and beat the crap out of Ga. by a similar score. Then the next season, fall of '76, was Broyle's last and Hogs went 5-5-1. Holtz came in for the '77 season.

WindyCityHog

Okay....it was '75...I was 10....and sitting in the living room with my Uncle (who was a Hog nut) and my Dad (who hated ANY sport)....I remember them having a few drinks, and after a few, my smack-talking dad bet my uncle a 20 gauge shotgun that the Aggies would win....and gave my uncle "2 tds"....My uncle, equally as tipsy, took that bet....and the rest is history.

31-6.  That shotgun was given to me when my Uncle passed away....with a note...."Pass this on to Quinlan.....and NEVER drink AND bet."  True story.

JJHog

Semi- Recently.....Beating Texas in Austin ini '03 and beating Tennesse in Fay in '98.

All time.....Texas 42 -11 in the 80s
" Think Right, Do Right"

HogDodging

These are ones I attended.

1.  Beating the crud out of #3 Kansas in basketball 103-86 at Barnhill in '86.  That crowd is still the loudest I have ever heard.  My ears literally rang for three days after that.  Then, later that night, ESPN showed the score, then the announcer said, "Wait, we need to verify that score."  They couldn't believe we so thoroughly whipped KU with Danny Manning.

2.  U.S. Reed beating Texass at the buzzer in Barnhill the same year ('82?) he hit that beyond-halfcourt-shot against Louisville.  Eddie jumped about three feet in the air and ran down to shake old Abe's hand.  It was hilarious.

3.  The '99 Tennessee football game in Fayetteville when we won by the same score we lost with the year before.

4.  The Missouri basketball game that was the official grand opening for Bud Walton Arena at the beginning of our championship year.  That was as thorough a whipping as we have administered.

For the games I was unable to attend;

1.  The basketball championship and going to Dickson Street afterwards, then seeing someone burning a Duke banner and having flashbacks to #2 below.

2.  The '81 Texass game in Fayetteville when we won 42-11, and going to Dickson Street afterward.  The police were pretty cool and blocked off the Street on both ends.  But, once that big fire got set in the middle of the Street, I booked out of there.

JFHWGBKRIII

This is really easy.
Every time the final gun goes off and the Hogs are winning.
There is nothing like the thrill of Hog Victory.

RebelliousHog

Jeez, I forgot the U.S. Reed half-court shot. That WAS pretty amazing. That may be a moment to put at the top because it was so unexpected. All the rest you cound see it happening as the game went on, but that one? At the buzzer?
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

hoggerdinger

us reed's shot does it for me.  cheese dip with rotel tomatoes on hog day.  what a tradition my family had.  of course they all died from heart failure.  not sure if it was the cheese or the games.  im gonna go make some dip.
anyone else?  go hogs!
hoggerdinger

ThisTeetsTaken

Either Stoerner to Lucas against Vols in 99 or Toop's grand slam to force a second game and advance to the supers.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Theolesnort

The strolling with Nolan game against Texas when Mayberry hits the three and sends it into overtime.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: hawgjowl on March 07, 2005, 01:17:40 pm
The strolling with Nolan game against Texas when Mayberry hits the three and sends it into overtime.
Man, I forgot about that one.  I actually have that game on tape!!

But....my number one Razorback moment for me was the '99 Tennessee game in Fayetteville.  It was so great for me because the year before my heart was ripped out when we lost to Tennessee by the same score.  I still won't watch that game, and never will rewatch it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

HogInMemphis

What about the win over OU in  the '78 Orange Bowl?

What about the win over UCLA in the '89 Cotton Bowl?

What about the win over Tenn in the '90 Cotton Bowl?

Macgyver_Hawg

That was a really great weekend that I won't ever forget.  Got great seats in the shade behind the plate.  I didn't mind the walks between the stadium and Wendy's or Subway. 

It beat being there with no one in the stands on a cold day.

BushHawg

I saw a great one in person this year.  Mike Jones hitting the winning 3-pointer against LSU, oh, wait, Tom Eades took that one from us.

Oh well, wouldn't really have made a difference in the overall scheme of things for this b-ball team.
"I love cats...I just can't eat a whole one"

HogDodging

Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 07, 2005, 02:34:32 pm
What about the win over OU in the '78 Orange Bowl?

What about the win over UCLA in the '89 Cotton Bowl?

What about the win over Tenn in the '90 Cotton Bowl?

I'll go along with you on the '78 Orange Bowl win but, please tell me you are only joking about the '89 and '90 Cotton Bowl "wins."

RazorDrummer

Yea....I was at both the 89 and 90 cotton bowls and left the stadium  with my head held low...I think we lost both of them.

Quotefunniest moment would be Todd Day putting up his dukes with Larry Johnson at the UNLV game at Barnhill.

I was about three feet from larry johnson when Todd Day started swingin like a girlie man.  very funny indeed.  I think I could have whipped Todd that day even though he was 6" taller than me.
www.oreoblue.com (My Band)
www.theuncrownedkings.com (My other band)
www.honeyjackband.com (the new band 2016)
www.nwamsbl.com (Play Baseball in NWArkansas)
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

RazorDrummer

I'll agree with all the above in great moments.  What about the Houston/UA game where Quinn Grovey out dueled the Heisman Trophy pretender Klingler (?) in Little Rock?  94 basketball hogs definitely top two.  Brady Toops homer.  Cheese Dip...yep!
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

Boared

It would be a tie between the winning the NC in b-ball (was an undergrad at the U of A at the time and ran down to Dickson w/ everyone else and partied all that night) and Stoerner leading the Hogs to beat TN so I could give my roommate hell since he was a Vols (spit) fan and gloated after The Fumble.

RazorDrummer

How about the first game in RRRS (Renovated Reynolds Razorback Stadium) against Tennessee (?) in the monsoon in September of 2001?  Sold out and everyone packed underneath the concourse trying to avoid the lightning during the delays.  I have never been so wet in my life, but so happy to be a hog fan.  I had my rain gear, but forgot my hat.  I went to the store and bought a Razorback Football hat with #9 on the front.  Firmly confident that my all time favorite number (wore #9 in baseball for whole career but one year) would be adorned by my soon-to-be favorite Razorback.  There's karma in that number...

Favorite moment all time:  Parking at the baseball parking lot and putting my son on my shoulders and walking the distance to Razorback Stadium...thighs burning and shoulders aching.  Glad to do it and share those few times with him until he was too big to carry.
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

RebelliousHog

:'( Damn, now you got me crying.  :'(

They need a smiley crying with the mouth turned up. Crying from joy/happiness/ whatever.

Porquemada

Football - Barry Foster up the middle for 80 yds. vs. Miami. Back when I thought we could beat really good teams.

Porquemada

Basketball - it's easy and obvious.....Thurman's shot against Duke in the NC.

Porquemada

March 07, 2005, 07:15:23 pm #28 Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 07:19:43 pm by Pork'n Beans
A tie in football - Same Miami game, Atwater dropping an interception. >:( Next play Miami kicks FG to win for Miami. I think the kicker's name was Carlos Huerta. May be wrong.  Stoerner fumble vs. Tennessee.

Porquemada

Two for Basketball - '95 NC game vs. UCLA. Lost the game and I drove my car onto a huge rock in Diego's parking lot in a downpour. Horrible night all around. And pretty much any conference game in the last five years. Pick one.

The Max Swineberg 7

The 99 Tennessee game.

Second would have to be Lunney to Meadors against Alabama.  Didn't we convert like a 4th and 15 or something like that on that drive?  Clint made me forget a lot of good things about Lunney.  He willed some wins.
Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

RebelliousHog

Several. The LSU game in the Cotton Bowl. And yes I'm old enough to remember it. The Texas game in Fayetteville in '69. The Indiana State Bball game. The Stoerner fumble. Especially against the Vols. There is something about Tenn. that rubs me the wrong way. I always felt the same about Texas A&M. All those Corps guys doing those stupid yells and crap.  The Liberty Bowl game. This years Bball team. No drive to succeed.

gatecrasher

1980...Arkansas 42, #1 Texas 11....The day I became a Razorback fan...I was 11 years old.  But the sweetest moment for me...1994 NCAA title game...when Thurman hit the 3 to put us ahead for good against Duke!!  I had the honor of being able to attend that game!!  When McDaniel made that final steal and I knew with no doubt that we had won, watching the players and fans celebrate and being able to be a part of it...next to my kids being born it was the greatest night of my life.  Later I heard both Mike Nail's radio call and Jim Nantz's TV call of the final seconds of the game and I got tears in my eyes.  Sweet, man!!! :'(

Kodiak

March 07, 2005, 11:07:37 pm #33 Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 11:11:56 pm by Kodiak
DITTO! DITTO! DITTO!
I was sitting along the first base line and came clear out of my seat.
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

UKhog1

when we beat texas in the cotton bowl in 2000 i was in deployed and when i called my wife i was nearly crying the other guys around me thought someone had died.

gatecrasher

Let me correct myself...it was 1981...October 17 to be exact, when Texas brought their #1 a$$es to Fayetteville and got embarassed on ABC national teevee (thx Wally!)...and my other great football moment...has to be the Miracle On Markham...i sat in that corner of that end zone and watched DeCori catch that pass!  I hyperventilated...cause with our passing stats to that point (4 of 19 or something like that), i just knew we had lost!

bknight33

The time Darnell Robinson did that absolutely ridiculous dance in the final four game against Arizona.  I laughed for days.  What an idiot!!

Anti-OtisII

In person:

BB:  1984 over #2 Houston (phi slamma jamma) in Barnhill
FB:  1999 over #8 Tennessee in Fayetteville

On TV:

BB:  1994 NC game over Duke (Honorable mention to win over N. Carolina in PB)
FB:  1978(79) Orange Bowl over OU (Honorable mention to Miracle on Markham as a true "Moment")

idochog

Quote from: Pork'n Beans on March 07, 2005, 07:11:30 pm
Basketball - it's easy and obvious.....Thurman's shot against Duke in the NC.

Thats my best memory and even better is the fact I was there in Charlotte for that game as I was sitting right behind the basket that he made the shot.

Then my worst memory begins, thats when Nowin decided to start sitting on his ass SELECTING and riding the basketball program into the ground 7years later.
I love Jesus!

hogmary

I'm revealing my age, but here goes, in no particular order:
victory over John Robinson's USC Trojans in LR in the early 70's
1971 Ark-Texas game
Miracle on Markham
1999 Tennessee game in Fayettevill
Tennessee game we won in Knoxville on a last second field goal(Orlando Watters ran back a punt and an interception, both for TD's!)
First game against Kentucky when we joined the SEC
Brady Toops's grand slam
Texas game in Austin when Nolan took a stroll
Arkansas victory over UCLA with the Triplets
Arkansas victory on Ron Brewer's shot in the final four against Notre Dame...hated those guys, especially Bill Lambeer & Tripuka
Cotton Bowl victory over Nebraska
39-38 game against Texas in the SWC tourney in the days of the Triplets...no 3-point shot and no shot clock (wouldn't like that style now, even Eddie has changed)
Tie:  2000 Cotton Bowl victory over Texas and the 2003 victory over Texas in Austin
The slaughter of Missouri at BWA in 1994
NC game against Duke
Semi-final game against Arizona when Corey Beck played the entire second half with 4 fouls and shut down the Zona guards
Ark-Louisville tournament game at Austin when US Reed hit the half court shot to win...earlier the same year he hit a last second shot against Texas in Barnhill to win...I will never forget Abe Lemons wearing a Hog Hat, calling the Hogs with the Ark fans and cheerleaders after the game in Austin
The Texas game in Austin when Ken Hatfield ran back a punt for a TD
1978 Orange Bowl
Any chance to call the Hogs with the track team after winning a conference or national championship in Randal Tyson Indoor Track
Sorry this is so long, but I cannot narrow it down!

Boared

I can't believe I forgot this and I'm surprised that no one else had brought this up--a fave moment (top 3) had to be when Nolan went off on that ass-clown Billy Packer on live TV in a post-game interview. It was truly a magic moment.

Slacker

US Reed's half Court Shot the best.

The Clint Fumble against the Vols the worst.  Followed Closely by Matt's Fumble against the shorthorns last year.

PigKuneDo

Y'all have hit most of mine... Gotta add:

Super Sid's SI cover dunk against Texas...

Balentine's shot against UNC...

Absolutely shutting down SMU and Dickerson, et al...

Wow, lots of good ones out there...

Sanctified Swine

1. 2003 win over Texas in Austin ( I was there)
2. 94 win over Duke
3. 42-11 win over number one texas
4. Reunion Arena SWC tourney championshipS
5. US Reed half- court shot to beat Louisville

Sanctified Swine

least favorite football=

1. Clint's Fumble
2. Matt's fumble against Texas this year
3. Arkansas 17 SMU 17 -- in texas stadium early 80's (it was NOT pass interference) kept us from winning the SWC that year
4. Losing to Mississippi St. in 98 - kept us from getting revenge on Tennesee

bknight33

Quote from: Boared on March 08, 2005, 06:29:55 pm
I can't believe I forgot this and I'm surprised that no one else had brought this up--a fave moment (top 3) had to be when Nolan went off on that ass-clown Billy Packer on live TV in a post-game interview. It was truly a magic moment.

"A blind man could see that, Billy."  That was classic Nolan.

PigKuneDo

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned (unless I missed it) the multiple OT wins against UK and Ole Miss...

jabohog

You've named most all of them I can think of except I didn't see the basketball win over #1 North Carolina when they had Michael Jordan and we had Joe Kleine.

mikeirwin

Anytime Arkansas beat Texas in anything.

heathshogs

Among those I haven't seen posted yet, some of my favorite to attend were:
Watching the goalposts come down and be carried to Dickson street after beating Tennessee.

Beating #21 (?) Kentucky and #2 Auburn in back to back games to finish the 1999 regular season in basketball. Then Kareem Reid jumped on press row signalling the students to come on down.
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious