Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exciting prospect in the portal

Started by Bogghawg, December 03, 2021, 02:19:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogghawg

Never Attempt To Teach a Pig To Sing; It Wastes Your Time and Annoys the Pig

blu

Franks, Ridgeway, Williams and Utsey have all been positives for us. Hoping we can get this Haselwood dude and a DL or LB. Would put us in pretty good shape going into next season.   
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bogghawg on December 03, 2021, 02:19:49 pmWe seem to so far had a lot more good than bad come from the transfer portal evolution...

https://www.nwahomepage.com/sports/pig-trail-nation/hog-recruiting/the-transfer-portal-has-changed-the-time-required-to-rebuild-a-program-as-hogs-focus-on-jadon-haselwood-others/?fbclid=IwAR3X4ANpA_tm7YMJNPVXKQFh3SYjRN1EKmAeDwT-0zsdpv-JLY3mrEapuX4

Here's another in the Portal from Oklahoma and he was a 5 star out of HS. Played two years for Oklahoma and only appeared in 1 game this year for some reason.

Update: He was injured in spring and then again in fall camp (lower leg injury) and hasn't played in any other games this year. Has 2 years remaining. Here are Lincoln Riley's comments on Wease.

"He looks good physically. He's progressing really well. I don't know that there'd be, that there's a 100% plan in place yet, but we're getting close and I do think I can certainly see a clear path and defined path to him being able to help us here in this last stretch of the season. I just don't know exactly when it'll be yet, but we're getting close," Riley said.

Wease suffered a lower leg injury during fall camp and hasn't played this season. Riley lauded the manner in which Wease has spent his time rehabbing.

"It has been a challenge. He missed a good portion of spring obviously and then had the injury here early in camp and so it has been tough. Guy wants to be out there. He's been a good player for us. He's been a good team guy. He's worked hard and he's rehabbed hard. I think he's taken advantage of some of that time to really work on some other aspects of his game, really work hard on his body, his strength," Riley said.

Wease finished the 2020 season as one of Oklahoma's best wide receivers. The junior from Allen, Texas, hauled in 37 receptions for 530 receiving yards with four touchdowns last season.

Those 37 receptions tied for the Sooners' team lead alongside Marvin Mims. His 530 receiving yards were second on the team behind Mims, and Wease's four touchdown receptions ranked third.

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/02/oklahoma-sooners-football-theo-wease-lincoln-riley/

https://soonersports.com/sports/football/roster/theo-wease/14704
Go Hogs Go!

OkieBack

OU fans are chiming in on Haselwood already at me.  There's allot of smoke there.  Let's see if he wants to come over and be a Hog.  We could use him. 

Exciting thing about Haselwood...he's a redshirt sophomore.  So he could be playing multiple years in our offensive system. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: OkieBack on December 03, 2021, 04:30:30 pmOU fans are chiming in on Haselwood already at me.  There's allot of smoke there.  Let's see if he wants to come over and be a Hog.  We could use him. 

Exciting thing about Haselwood...he's a redshirt sophomore.  So he could be playing multiple years in our offensive system. 

Theo Wease, 6-2, 210, 5-Star WR, would also have 2 years of eligibility remaining.

That's a couple of guys that it wouldn't hurt for us to add.
Go Hogs Go!

OkieBack

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 03, 2021, 04:44:08 pmTheo Wease, 6-2, 210, 5-Star WR, would also have 2 years of eligibility remaining.

That's a couple of guys that it wouldn't hurt for us to add.
If we take care of our coordinators and keep them in place...I think the Hogs are gonna be alright for the next couple of seasons.  I know we are losing a bunch of seniors, but recruiting is heating up.  Get a few quality transfers in here and we will be fine.   

RoyHobbs92

Need someone to replace the GOAT. Two would be great.

hawgmasta

Man, looking at the transfer portal there's a few highly rated guys a day it seems like entering. With the coaching carousel and transfer portal cfb is so wild!

tophawg19

Bama also has a couple highly ranked WR's in the portal
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

RebelliousHog

My issue about our current receiver is that early in the year Tyson got a lot of catches. 

Is the issue that we simply haven't spread the ball around because Burke or that the  non-Burke receivers can't get open?   Seems the last few games KJ was spreading the ball around more.

Are we really that desperate for receivers?
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

TeufelHog

We need offensive and defensive linemen.  Games in the SEC are won "in the trenches"PERIOD

MissippHog

Quote from: TeufelHog on December 03, 2021, 10:04:38 pmWe need offensive and defensive linemen.  Games in the SEC are won "in the trenches"PERIOD
It's ok to recruit several positions at one time.

@Blue-Chip

Every National Championship, in the last 15 years, has been won by a team who's last 4 recruiting classes have averaged in the Top 5.  Will the Portal change this?  Kirby Smart, on SEC This Morning, said something about not being able to out-coach recruiting, then pointed out that they're winning because they've recruited the best players on the field.  What does it take to win the SEC?  SEC West? 

LRHawg

Quote from: Blue-Chip Ratio. on December 04, 2021, 10:54:22 amEvery National Championship, in the last 15 years, has been won by a team who's last 4 recruiting classes have averaged in the Top 5.  Will the Portal change this?  Kirby Smart, on SEC This Morning, said something about not being able to out-coach recruiting, then pointed out that they're winning because they've recruited the best players on the field.  What does it take to win the SEC?  SEC West? 

It takes coaching plus geography. Georgia has always had one, now they've put the two together. We'll see if they can close out this season but they are hands down the most-talented team.

@Blue-Chip

Quote from: TeufelHog on December 03, 2021, 10:04:38 pmWe need offensive and defensive linemen.  Games in the SEC are won "in the trenches"PERIOD

The SEC (SEC West) is having a banner year recruiting top linemen.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: RebelliousHog on December 03, 2021, 09:35:50 pmMy issue about our current receiver is that early in the year Tyson got a lot of catches. 

Is the issue that we simply haven't spread the ball around because Burke or that the  non-Burke receivers can't get open?   Seems the last few games KJ was spreading the ball around more.

Are we really that desperate for receivers?
The ball would get spread around more if we threw more.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: blu on December 03, 2021, 02:30:08 pmFranks, Ridgeway, Williams and Utsey have all been positives for us. Hoping we can get this Haselwood dude and a DL or LB. Would put us in pretty good shape going into next season.   

We need to get a TE in the portal

King Kong

Quote from: Captain Morgan on December 04, 2021, 11:06:54 amWe need to get a TE in the portal

We need defensive players before a TE.

For TE we just need to develop players physically. Knox, Roger and get Outley healthy.

Also considering how Hayden Henry improved. I'm no ready to count out Hudson either. He may just need more time

AHiD

I think we should be able to get a pass rusher and a cover LB in the portal and then if we have some departures a DB or 2 would be nice before anyone else (though obviously the big play makers on offense could be prioritized if we get them
My name...is Jerruh

Atlhogfan1

A WR of this level should see the opportunity to take Burks role and production next season. 

As far as how we spread the ball around, I have no issue with it.  Burks is so much more of a mismatch than our other receivers he had to be the focus.  Our other WRs did well. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 04, 2021, 11:55:41 amA WR of this level should see the opportunity to take Burks role and production next season. 

As far as how we spread the ball around, I have no issue with it.  Burks is so much more of a mismatch than our other receivers he had to be the focus.  Our other WRs did well. 

It is hard to imagine but Burks might have had even more success if we had 1 or 2 more receivers that posed a similar danger as targets. Now I know that Burks may be termed a "generational talent" but we just really need 2-3 WR's that pose a greater threat if your opponent focuses coverage on one superstar.
Go Hogs Go!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 04, 2021, 12:06:59 pmIt is hard to imagine but Burks might have had even more success if we had 1 or 2 more receivers that posed a similar danger as targets. Now I know that Burks may be termed a "generational talent" but we just really need 2-3 WR's that pose a greater threat if your opponent focuses coverage on one superstar.

I look forward to the day we can have more than 1 Burks.  Ketron and Hazelwood could make a dangerous pair. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys.