Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who is this generations Jimmy Johnson?

Started by online-with-swine, November 20, 2017, 12:03:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

online-with-swine

Norvell, Campbell maybe.  Do we go with the safe hire and miss catching lightning in a bottle..again?

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

PigInTheHole

12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

davril98

Großer Kriegschwein

Großer Kriegschwein

SooieGeneris

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 20, 2017, 12:05:34 pm
Lane Kiffin

No, Little Lord Lane is this generation's version of Petrino. The two worked together in Jacksonville in the 90s or early 2000's.

They are mercenaries who will change jobs at the drop of a hat with resumes as thick as the NY City phone book who slash and burn their bridges on the way out of their most recent job.

They are both very good at designing offenses that move the ball and score points, but neither is worth the heartburn and drama that follows everywhere they go..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

jrulz83

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 20, 2017, 12:57:17 pm
No, Little Lord Lane is this generation's version of Petrino. The two worked together in Jacksonville in the 90s or early 2000's.

They are mercenaries who will change jobs at the drop of a hat with resumes as thick as the NY City phone book who slash and burn their bridges on the way out of their most recent job.

They are both very good at designing offenses that move the ball and score points, but neither is worth the heartburn and drama that follows everywhere they go..

I don't want to rehash Petrino but since you brought it up.... Yeah, that number 5 ranking and beating the crap out of but ultimately coming up short against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl were just awful weren't they?

I don't understand why people can't see that 3 years with Saban changed Kiffin. They judge him on leaving Tennessee for his dream job. it's silly to judge someone on one decision they made.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 20, 2017, 01:05:11 pm
I don't want to rehash Petrino but since you brought it up.... Yeah, that number 5 ranking and beating the crap out of but ultimately coming up short against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl were just awful weren't they?

I don't understand why people can't see that 3 years with Saban changed Kiffin. They judge him on leaving Tennessee for his dream job. it's silly to judge someone on one decision they made.

I think it's way too early to tell if 3 years with Saban changed him. He's gotten himself into the situation that he's in. There's way more history of baggage than there is of success, so he is going to have to himself again, and I think that will take more than one season at the lower level. He needs to string together a few years of a drama free run.

Smashmouth2004

Quote from: clutch on November 20, 2017, 01:15:23 pm
I think it's way too early to tell if 3 years with Saban changed him. He's gotten himself into the situation that he's in. There's way more history of baggage than there is of success, so he is going to have to himself again, and I think that will take more than one season at the lower level. He needs to string together a few years of a drama free run.
If I was the administration, I would at least interview him, ask him the tough questions, and then determine if he has changed and finally wants a home to nest. We have resources to provide funds for a top notch coaching staff, unlimited recruiting budget and facilities as good as anyone in the SEC. Expectation level here is not the same as Bama or USC to win the conference championship every year so as long he could keep us in the Top 25 each year with 8-9 wins per year with an occasional chance at a conference title should be appealing to him. But knowing his drive and the fact recruits love him and his style, our level of talent should skyrocket.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on November 20, 2017, 01:15:23 pm

And why can't he have his drama free run here?

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: online-with-swine on November 20, 2017, 12:03:49 pm
Norvell, Campbell maybe.  Do we go with the safe hire and miss catching lightning in a bottle..again?

This generation's Jimmy Johnson will be whoever we pass over for the job.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

RedRock

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 20, 2017, 02:47:12 pm
And why can't he have his drama free run here?

He could. I'm just saying that before it becomes clear that he's changed, as you said, he'd need a few years of clean track record. Until then, there's going to be a lot of people that assume he hasn't. If he has, it'd be great. If he hasn't, it could be disastrous.

jrulz83

Quote from: clutch on November 20, 2017, 04:09:44 pm
He could. I'm just saying that before it becomes clear that he's changed, as you said, he'd need a few years of clean track record. Until then, there's going to be a lot of people that assume he hasn't. If he has, it'd be great. If he hasn't, it could be disastrous.

He's been pretty drama free for what about four years now? I'd take my chance.

clutch

Quote from: jrulz83 on November 20, 2017, 04:14:07 pm
He's been pretty drama free for what about four years now? I'd take my chance.

I'm talking about as a head coach. Even if he has changed, there's going to be a ton of people that assume the reason he's been drama free is because he's been under the thumb of Nick Saban's no nonsense program. Again, I'm not even trying to say this is true. I'm just pointing out that this is the persona. Trying to point out the reasons that there are still doubts about him, since you said you couldn't understand why anyone would still have them.

stronguard

If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: SooieGeneris on November 20, 2017, 12:57:17 pm

husker71

Why do people think Lane Kiffin has changed ??  If they have to change why do you want them??  This is a 4 million dollar a year with a loyal base of donors.  Why would you want to say "well he could be really good if he changes"  to a 42 year old man.  Let him prove himself somewhere else.  Why roll the dice when the odds are (IMHO) that he will screw up again or screw us again.  One year at FAU is not enough proof for me and I am a gambler.  Play the odds on this one.  Hope none of us ever have to go into a job interview at 42 and them ask you about changing your behavior again at 42. 

HoggusMaximus

WPS007

clutch

Quote from: husker71 on November 20, 2017, 06:22:21 pm
Why do people think Lane Kiffin has changed ??  If they have to change why do you want them??  This is a 4 million dollar a year with a loyal base of donors.  Why would you want to say "well he could be really good if he changes"  to a 42 year old man.  Let him prove himself somewhere else.  Why roll the dice when the odds are (IMHO) that he will screw up again or screw us again.  One year at FAU is not enough proof for me and I am a gambler.  Play the odds on this one.  Hope none of us ever have to go into a job interview at 42 and them ask you about changing your behavior again at 42. 

I'm with ya. Other options that are as good offensively, without the checkered pasts. Everyone was waiting for Lane to grow up, he should have been grown a long time ago.

RedRock

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.