Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nothing will happen this week except

Started by ShilohTreyDad#67, November 20, 2017, 10:43:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ShilohTreyDad#67

We may announce an AD.

Coach will not be announced for at least 2 weeks.  Bielema will be let go either Saturday or Sunday.  It will be at least a week or more before we have a Coach.

A number of things regarding Malzahn:

1.). I've heard he would like to come back closer to family.
2.)  I know he loves Arkansas and it's his dream job.
3.). I've heard they are worried about coming back because of how they were treated before.
4.). He is always one loss away from not meeting Auburn expectations.
5.). He is currently in a lame duck AD status at Auburn and Arkansas.
6.). If he wins SEC he's only guaranteed until he loses a game Auburn fans think he should win.
7.). I've heard someone say that a few years ago his family said they would never come back to Arkansas.
8.). If he stays at Auburn he could have his best year yet as all his great players return.
9.). He has dominated us ever since he left both as an OC and an HC.
10.). There are fans who do not like him.
11.). There are fans who like him.
12.). He has coached in two National Title games.

What does all this mean?  Nothing?  It simply means that anything can happen.  There are huge decisions to be made as this is a very critical hire.  This will either take us forward, or set us back another 5 years.  The HC hire is much bigger than just the HC.  Who comes with the Coach?  Who is the OC?  Who is the DC?  No mater who we hire, we need to get behind the Administration, the Coaches, and the Team.

Go Hogs!!!

wachhog

Quote from: ShilohTreyDad#67 on November 20, 2017, 10:43:12 am
We may announce an AD.

Coach will not be announced for at least 2 weeks.  Bielema will be let go either Saturday or Sunday.  It will be at least a week or more before we have a Coach.

3.). I've heard they are worried about coming back because of how they were treated before.
6.). If he wins SEC he's only guaranteed until he loses a game Auburn fans think he should win.
7.). I've heard someone say that a few years ago his family said they would never come back to Arkansas.
8.). If he stays at Auburn he could have his best year yet as all his great players return.

What does all this mean?  Nothing?  It simply means that anything can happen.  There are huge decisions to be made as this is a very critical hire.  This will either take us forward, or set us back another 5 years.  The HC hire is much bigger than just the HC.  Who comes with the Coach?  Who is the OC?  Who is the DC?  No mater who we hire, we need to get behind the Administration, the Coaches, and the Team.

Go Hogs!!!
No. We don't.  Not if they hire as obvious a misfit as was Bielema. But only Long would make that mistake again, hopefully. And he's gone.

RockyMtnHog

We may announce an AD.

I agree with this!  The rest is a crap shoot.  It does not matter who we hire as a HC there will be some people that are not happy.  The question is who would be BEST for the program going forward.

There will some players requesting a transfer.  The new HC has to sell his program or tell the players to not let the door hit you in the butt on the way out the door.

Personally, I do not think that the Gus Bus will be making a stop in Fayetteville.  If he wins the Iron Bowl on Saturday, he is not coming.

Brent Venables should be the first person contacted on Saturday Night or Sunday morning.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on November 20, 2017, 07:42:05 pm
I agree with this!  The rest is a crap shoot.  It does not matter who we hire as a HC there will be some people that are not happy.  The question is who would be BEST for the program going forward.

There will some players requesting a transfer.  The new HC has to sell his program or tell the players to not let the door hit you in the butt on the way out the door.

Personally, I do not think that the Gus Bus will be making a stop in Fayetteville.  If he wins the Iron Bowl on Saturday, he is not coming.

Brent Venables should be the first person contacted on Saturday Night or Sunday morning.

If he wins the Iron Bowl I give it a 25% chance Gus comes.

Auburn's athletic department is more disfuntional than SMU's at the height of the Ponytail express days.

Gus just wants to get away from that mess.

As for an athletic director, it's not like they are any different than us now. Their replacement won't be named for a few more months.
This is my non-signature signature.

SooieGeneris

We may announce an AD.

Go Hogs!!!

#8 along with the chance of getting in the playoff with wins over 'Bama (don't laugh, Auburn has a real shot) and UGA and they would get a lot of support are the reasons he may not leave there.

The 2nd might be harder as college teams rarely play a team twice and whoever wins the first usually loses the 2nd, but would we be willing to wait until after the SECCG?

A win there and I say no way Gus leaves for anywhere. It is too hard to just get into the playoff, he is in his 50s now, he might never get another shot if he walks away.

Now if they won both those and didn't get in, he might, I just don't foresee that happening.

The Barners would have beaten 'Bama, only team to do so and would have handed UGA both of their losses with Georgia having beaten ND up there.

Miami and Clemson will play one another in the ACCCG. If the U wins, Clemson would have a 2nd loss and Auburn would leapfrog them in spite of head to head due to Clemson losing to an unranked Syracuse team earlier.

Under that scenario, the playoff could be 'Bama, Auburn, OU and Miami if Ohio State beat Wisconsin soundly. If they don't the argument might be between Wisconsin and OU.

If 'Bama does win Saturday, then we should know one way or the other pretty soon.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

3kgthog

Getting played by the old Sexton/Malzahn shuffle. Might as well use them instead of the Jack Link's Sasquatch Shuffle on the big screen.

Hou-Hog

i give him a 25% chance of winning Iron Bowl

Pork Twain

Quote from: wachhog on November 20, 2017, 05:54:56 pm
No. We don’t.  Not if they hire as obvious a misfit as was Bielema. But only Long would make that mistake again, hopefully. And he’s gone.
It seems to be obvious to some fans in hindsight, but at the time of the hire it was not.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ricepig

Quote from: Hou-Hog on November 21, 2017, 04:08:55 am
i give him a 25% chance of winning Iron Bowl

I give him a 60% chance of winning the Iron Bowl, and a 0% chance of coming here, no matter if he even wants to, it ain't happening.

HotlantaHog

If Auburn wins the Iron Bowl and beats Georgia again, it would be crazy to move. Better to stay and see how Auburn does in the playoffs .... and again next year.

The timing for a move would have ended as Arkansas would not want to hang around and wait until mid-January to make a move.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 07:02:57 am
I give him a 60% chance of winning the Iron Bowl, and a 0% chance of coming here, no matter if he even wants to, it ain't happening.

I don't think he'd come and he's not my choice, so I hope your as accurate as usual...

and I think Gus gets the W...

ricepig

November 21, 2017, 08:04:30 am #11 Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:15:03 am by ricepig
Quote from: Dominicanhog on November 21, 2017, 07:43:14 am
I don't think he'd come and he's not my choice, so I hope your as accurate as usual...

and I think Gus gets the W...

I don't know anything about "usual", and some of it may be personal feelings, too, lol.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 08:04:30 am
I don't no anything about "usual", and some of it may be personal feelings, too, lol.

I think "personal feelings" kinda wraps up the scenario's surrounding Gus and Arkansas... it's why I just don't see it...

hawgjr

Hey Rice, who are you hearing is the front-runner, Norvell?

HF#1

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 21, 2017, 07:11:58 am
If Auburn wins the Iron Bowl and beats Georgia again, it would be crazy to move. Better to stay and see how Auburn does in the playoffs .... and again next year.

The timing for a move would have ended as Arkansas would not want to hang around and wait until mid-January to make a move.

I think if he wins the Iron Bowl then we are more likely to get played by Sexton and Gus will get extension/raise from Auburn. However, if this is his dream job he has to know that if he plays us for more money, that dream dies forever. If he loses, I think he is our next coach.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ricepig

Quote from: LFC Hog on November 21, 2017, 08:28:46 am
Hey Rice, who are you hearing is the front-runner, Norvell?
Some really like Frost, but I don't see him coming. If forced to make a hire today, I think it would be Norvell, but they aren't.

slappy

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 20, 2017, 11:53:44 pm
Getting played by the old Sexton/Malzahn shuffle. Might as well use them instead of the Jack Link's Sasquatch Shuffle on the big screen.

This is hilarious.

Wooderson

So what has changed because before you seemed resigned to the fact that he would get first right of refusal.  Now you are saying he won't even get that chance. 
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Scott7703

Interesting take. If Gus wants job he will be the new coach.

Sugar Free Hog

The latest "follow" on Kristi Malzahn's Twitter was Dan Enos.

and yes I have stooped to that level.
Razorbacks-Grizzlies-Titans-Red Sox

Maddhog

My dream coach is Mark Richt, a great man who is out of reach for us.  He was treated badly by GA for years but he didn't whine, didn't reach out to other jobs, didn't blow up at the media.  He went about the business of running his program but he also prepared for the inevitable firing by selling his large home.  He left with the same class that he always displayed and now he has the U on the cusp of greatness.  I'm not a fan of Miami but I am a huge fan of Richt.  Gus could learn from him.   

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

JaketheSnake

Since Malzahn has been at Auburn, Ark is 3-5 vs the tigs.  Plus a W vs Malzahn when he was at Tulsa.

I wouldn't call that being dominated.  The last two years are a different story.

ricepig

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 21, 2017, 09:57:40 am

Interesting take. If Gus wants job he will be the new coach.

Well, that leaves a nice out, I guess if he isn't the coach, he didn't "want it".

ricepig

Quote from: Wooderson on November 21, 2017, 09:54:29 am
So what has changed because before you seemed resigned to the fact that he would get first right of refusal.  Now you are saying he won't even get that chance. 

I think that was the plan at one time, I now think it isn't. I can easily be wrong, my info could be wrong, just my opinion as it lays. Ask me Saturday about 6pm, lol.

ipigsooie

Rice, what about these rumors about Norvell and Ole miss? Will that make us go harder after him or what? Where do we stand with this?

Hawg Life

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 10:30:58 am
Well, that leaves a nice out, I guess if he isn't the coach, he didn't "want it".

THIS 100%!!! He "double secretly" turned us down if he isn't hired!!! It's The Gus Man Crush Club Dream.

ricepig

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 21, 2017, 10:36:54 am
Rice, what about these rumors about Norvell and Ole miss? Will that make us go harder after him or what? Where do we stand with this?

Shoot, I don't have much info on our search, I can't keep up with others.

Wooderson

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 21, 2017, 10:36:54 am

Norvell should be smarter than that. If he doesn't get the gig he wants this year he would be best served staying at Memphis one more year rather than jumping on a sinking ship at Ole Miss.

ricepig

Quote from: Wooderson on November 21, 2017, 10:42:58 am
Norvell should be smarter than that. If he doesn't get the gig he wants this year he would be best served staying at Memphis one more year rather than jumping on a sinking ship at Ole Miss.
I agree, but he's a pretty good coach and he will be given a lot of leeway down there, probably a 3 year pass depending on how hard the sanctions are.

WilsonHog

Ole Miss from Memphis is a lateral move that there is no good reason to make.

k.c.hawg

I've been with the Hogs since 65 according to my earliest memories. I'm sure I was in front of a radio with my pops before that. I will be hugely disappointed if it is Malzahn. I think he has been considerably more successful at Auburn than he will ever be at Arkansas and the success he has had at Auburn is moderate success for that program and what it is capable of. No way he will land the string of Top 10 classes Auburn has, here. I'm perfectly willing to try a young up and comer with more risk, more upside. Someone that can be dynamic and set us apart from the other programs Arkansas is in a logjam with. I don't see Gus doing that. When I look at Gus I see the 3 years between year one and this year, 4-4, 2-6, and 5-3. It feels like it is trying to hard to guarantee moderate success, keep the stadium full and have a recognizeable name with a huge salary to validate our program.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

a0ashle

Quote from: Hawg Life on November 21, 2017, 10:38:34 am
THIS 100%!!! He "double secretly" turned us down if he isn't hired!!! It's The Gus Man Crush Club Dream.

I dunno what's gonna happen but I hope if Gus doesn't end up here, I hope the perception is that he didn't want it. I want the constant push for him to end one way or another.

hogblitz

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 21, 2017, 10:48:10 am
Ole Miss from Memphis is a lateral move that there is no good reason to make.
Wilson.  That's simply not true.  If you lived in the Memphis area(like me), you would see that Memphis is a Terrible job!  They simply do not have the financial support, poor facilties, poor fan support, and poor recruiting grounds.  The on field results the last few years are the results of amazing hires by their AD!  NorVell is set to land the best class in Memphis history this year.  I think it is ranked 50th which is unbelievable at memphis.   Norvell is a candidate that I hope is at the top of the list.  Many around here have stated they believe he is Arkansas bound.  Some  even before the season started.  Back to your original comment comparing Memphis to OM.  That's laughable. 

Wooderson

Quote from: a0ashle on November 21, 2017, 11:05:48 am
I dunno what's gonna happen but I hope if Gus doesn't end up here, I hope the perception is that he didn't want it. I want the constant push for him to end one way or another.

This person gets it better than the majority of hog fans.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogblitz on November 21, 2017, 11:14:19 am
Wilson.  That's simply not true.  If you lived in the Memphis area(like me), you would see that Memphis is a Terrible job!  They simply do not have the financial support, poor facilties, poor fan support, and poor recruiting grounds.  The on field results the last few years are the results of amazing hires by their AD!  NorVell is set to land the best class in Memphis history this year.  I think it is ranked 50th which is unbelievable at memphis.   Norvell is a candidate that I hope is at the top of the list.  Many around here have stated they believe he is Arkansas bound.  Some  even before the season started.  Back to your original comment comparing Memphis to OM.  That's laughable.

If you were Mike Norvell, would you rather stay at Memphis and win 9 or 10 games while building your resume the next couple of years, or go to Ole Miss, get your ass kicked, and have people say, "Wow, that guy Norvell wasn't as good as advertised, huh?"

Atlhogfan1

We may announce an AD.

Go Hogs!!!

9 isn't true.

2008 Gus lost as OC of Tulsa 30-23
2009 Gus lost as OC at AU 44-23
2011 Gus lost as OC at AU 38-14

2015 Lost as HC at AU in OT 54-46

record is 5 - 4 vs Hogs as OC and HC

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogblitz

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 21, 2017, 11:24:39 am
If you were Mike Norvell, would you rather stay at Memphis and win 9 or 10 games while building your resume the next couple of years, or go to Ole Miss, get your ass kicked, and have people say, "Wow, that guy Norvell wasn't as good as advertised, huh?"
I guess it depends on the results of the NCAA Investigation.  Is this your reasoning? Which does obviously  appear to be bad.  So, you could be right if that happens. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on November 21, 2017, 11:24:39 am

Also it looks like the rats are jumping ship. Word is it's going to be a bad one. The players were told it wouldn't be as bad as it's going to be so several are going to transfer. Patterson is looking at Michigan .  That seems to be a done deal. Also one of their players is lawyering up to help him out of there. I think it's going to be a rough few years for them.

Atlhogfan1

MSU shouldn't be too far behind Ole Miss.  Ole Miss will drag them down too and probably won't have to look hard. 

Norvell has to cash in with better than Ole Miss as Ole Miss is right now. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ricepig

Quote from: hogblitz on November 21, 2017, 11:29:45 am
I guess it depends on the results of the NCAA Investigation.  Is this your reasoning? Which does obviously  appear to be bad.  So, you could be right if that happens. 

Or.....You get a three year pass before the clock starts and OM would benefit from his coaching and talent. I like him, but I figure it will be a couple of years at Arkansas to get the type of guys he wants, or at least closer to the type.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 11:32:39 am
Or.....You get a three year pass before the clock starts and OM would benefit from his coaching and talent. I like him, but I figure it will be a couple of years at Arkansas to get the type of guys he wants, or at least closer to the type.

Can't trust that pass thing anywhere in the SEC. 

Last time Ole Miss was hit hard, Tuberville did a fantastic job rebuilding them and skipped out to AU.  The SECW is so much more brutal now though at least in the short term.  Bama, AU, LSU all will return great teams.  A&M played a ton of freshmen and may have a new coach.  Mullen and MSU.  Whomever takes that OM job is in for some real short term pain.   

ricepig

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 21, 2017, 11:39:45 am
Can't trust that pass thing anywhere in the SEC. 

Last time Ole Miss was hit hard, Tuberville did a fantastic job rebuilding them and skipped out to AU.  The SECW is so much more brutal now though at least in the short term.  Bama, AU, LSU all will return great teams.  A&M played a ton of freshmen and may have a new coach.  Mullen and MSU.  Whomever takes that OM job is in for some real short term pain.   

Then you get paid very well. Sexton isn't going to send a coach to OM without a hell of a buyout, and perspective schools will know what whomever takes that job, got into.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 11:42:48 am
Then you get paid very well. Sexton isn't going to send a coach to OM without a hell of a buyout, and perspective schools will know what whomever takes that job, got into.

You would hope.  Big risk if other options to get out of Memphis exists. 

GoHogs1091

We may announce an AD.

Go Hogs!!!

Malzahn will be losing 4 Senior Offensive Linemen who are starters.

It will be difficult for Auburn to win a lot next season in the SEC with having 4 new Offensive Line starters.

hogblitz

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 11:32:39 am
I am not saying SEC Championships but we have the players to win some ball games  right away.  IMO

WilsonHog

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 21, 2017, 01:27:24 pm
Gus isn't going any where.   He is in a wonderful position for a bigger contract by playing AR vs AU.  Also to get him at Arkansas would require a buyout of about 7 million (source?) on top of whatever his contract turns out to be (5-6 million a year).  I think the powers to be (AR) know this already and its a "screen" for someone else perhaps. (Norvel?).   

I also thought about Campbell (I State) but he  has a big buyout also and in prime position to get in a bidding war with other teams.  Frost?   Who knows?  A lot of names being mentioned.

No matter what happens though it should be really interesting.

I think you can disregard Frost and Campbell.

Why would we need a "cover" for a coach from Memphis?

woodrow hog call

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 21, 2017, 01:27:24 pm
Gus isn't going any where.   He is in a wonderful position for a bigger contract by playing AR vs AU.  Also to get him at Arkansas would require a buyout of about 7 million (source?) on top of whatever his contract turns out to be (5-6 million a year).  I think the powers to be (AR) know this already and its a "screen" for someone else perhaps. (Norvel?).   

I also thought about Campbell (I State) but he  has a big buyout also and in prime position to get in a bidding war with other teams.  Frost?   Who knows?  A lot of names being mentioned.

No matter what happens though it should be really interesting.

Maybe maybe not.

Malzahn is currently under contract three more seasons at an annual salary just under $5 million. His buyout should he choose to leave is extremely manageable.

And, yes, there is chatter among coaches that Malzahn may leave Auburn.

Should Auburn lose to Alabama Saturday, there is growing buzz within the profession that Gus might "reset his clock" by taking the Arkansas job. Arkansas closes out their season Friday vs Missouri, following which it is widely expected the University will let Bret Bielema go.

The logic among coaches we've spoken states that Gus would be to give himself a fresh 5-year deal with a total contract value likely in the $30 million range (and quite possibly larger)... and that's before incentives. The Arkansas fan base is more tame than Auburn's, there is no 365-day-a-year comparison with Alabama, they would be welcoming him back to a state where he has had great success, and he would have a voice in choosing Jeff Long's replacement as athletics director.

Many in the profession view this is a no-brainer move for him.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Pecos Hog

If Auburn loses the Iron Bowl or the SECCG, I think he might come.    And I will be happy to see him - a tremendous step up for our program.     If Auburn wins the SECCG, things will get interesting.   We may have go with a 2nd choice, unless Gus is committed to coming no matter what and we are willing and able to wait a few extra weeks.   I think it'd be worth it. 

MC_Hog

Quote from: ricepig on November 21, 2017, 10:34:39 am
I think that was the plan at one time, I now think it isn't. I can easily be wrong, my info could be wrong, just my opinion as it lays. Ask me Saturday about 6pm, lol.

I would really like to say something about this but I can't but I think you are correct.