Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Razorback Head Coach

Started by kingshogs22, November 19, 2017, 02:30:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kingshogs22

The next Head Hog needs to focus on defense and hire a spread high octane OC. I'm not impressed with Memphis lack of discipline on defense allowing SMU to score 45 points much like Gundy at Oklahoma State allowing 45 to Kansas State. I agree it is fun to watch these teams play but against SEC defenses we will simply be keeping up but not winning. My suggestion would be a Defensive minded coach who has a strong pedigree from which he comes from.
Brent Venables- Coached under Snyder, Stoops and Sweeney. prepared defenses in 5 national championship games as well as countless major bowls. Allowed 19 total points over his last 2 games against Auburn and Malzahn. 2016 Rivals recruiter of the year. Recruited Texas heavy while at OU.

Ham Ham Pigelow

High octane offenses make even the most proven DCs look bad within a program. Programs that employ the spread offense aren't built to produce an equally great defense.  Their built to out score the opponent. What I look for in a defense of up-tempo programs is red zone defense and turnover margin.. aka "opportunistic" defenses.  Memphis has been pretty good in these areas.

ipigsooie

Not to mention that the guy on the other sidelines is a pretty hot commodity as a head coach. Norvell took him behind the woodshed

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 19, 2017, 02:43:41 pm
Not to mention that the guy on the other sidelines is a pretty hot commodity as a head coach. Norvell took him behind the woodshed

Norvell took Venables behind the woodshed???

Over the last almost 3 full seasons, Clemson has lost a total of only 3 games by a combined total of 9 points.

HawgTide

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 19, 2017, 02:51:45 pm

Over the last almost 3 full seasons, Clemson has lost a total of only 3 games by a combined total of 9 points.

Sounds like we need Dabo then

ipigsooie

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 19, 2017, 02:51:45 pm

Huh? Was venables on the other sidelines opposite norvell? Morris is a hot commodity and norvell put a beat down on him.

Silent

Bert kinda proved that time of possession can win (or almost win lol) ballgames. Take away second half collapses and Bert with his philosophy would have been very successful here (excluding whatever the hell happened this season). And with going a slow paced/time eating offense, you A. Keep the other teams offense off the field. And B. Let your defense rest.

King Kong

Quote from: HawgTide on November 19, 2017, 02:56:11 pm

Sounds like we need Dabo then

Check out Dabo's record before Venables. Not good

kingshogs22

Hopefully Venables is on our list

hogfansince79

Quote from: kingshogs22 on November 19, 2017, 02:30:36 pm
The next Head Hog needs to focus on defense and hire a spread high octane OC. I'm not impressed with Memphis lack of discipline on defense allowing SMU to score 45 points much like Gundy at Oklahoma State allowing 45 to Kansas State. I agree it is fun to watch these teams play but against SEC defenses we will simply be keeping up but not winning. My suggestion would be a Defensive minded coach who has a strong pedigree from which he comes from.
Brent Venables- Coached under Snyder, Stoops and Sweeney. prepared defenses in 5 national championship games as well as countless major bowls. Allowed 19 total points over his last 2 games against Auburn and Malzahn. 2016 Rivals recruiter of the year. Recruited Texas heavy while at OU.

Jeez... are you related to GoHogs1091?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

dc10x5555

our next coach needs to be Gus.  he has won every place he has been.  his offense leaves nothing to be desired.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: King Kong on November 19, 2017, 03:03:41 pm
Check out Dabo's record before Venables. Not good

Dabo Swinney before hiring Venables   (2008-2011)   29 wins   19 losses     An avg. of 7.25 wins per season

Dabo Swinney after hiring Venables   (2012-present)   70 wins   10 losses   An avg. of 11.66 wins per season

2008 and 2017 are partial seasons, but the wins and losses from those 2 partial seasons are included above.