Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gus Interested?

Started by Martygit, November 19, 2017, 11:59:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Lookin' good.

I think it comes down to the Iron Bowl, though. If Auburn wins, they likely win the SECCG too, so it would be mid-January until he was free. (Also, Auburn would want to lock him up vs. if he lost to Bama and they really wouldn't want to.)

ipigsooie

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 19, 2017, 12:42:59 pm
Lookin' good.

I think it comes down to the Iron Bowl, though. If Auburn wins, they likely win the SECCG too, so it would be mid-January until he was free. (Also, Auburn would want to lock him up vs. if he lost to Bama and they really wouldn't want to.)

Arkansas can't wait on him that long and if he accepts the job auburn won't allow him to coach the bowl.

BR

Start another thread on Gus....   
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Exit Pursued by a Boar

If Gus really wants out of Auburn, and Arkansas really wants him, why can't all concerned wait until the Auburn season plays out? On the Hog side, is the early signing period really that important if the PTB get the guy they want? On the Gus side, does winning one, two, or three more games really make a difference if you're tired of win or get fired games, want to come back to UA, and get to have a say in who your boss is? 

I am personally not a Gus fan, though I figure he'll do better here than CBB has. How much better is the question. I'd prefer a younger, hungrier guy like Norvell. Still, if Gus is the pick and he wants it (two big ifs), I don't see how the results of his next game or games matter(s). The only consideration I can see on our side is the fear of being played by Gus/Sexton. If there is even a trace of that fear, Auburn's winning on Saturday may cause the PTB to move early on someone else such as Norvell or whomever else is on the radar.

EFBAB

Pork Ranger

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on November 19, 2017, 12:58:15 pm
If Gus really wants out of Auburn, and Arkansas really wants him, why can't all concerned wait until the Auburn season plays out? On the Hog side, is the early signing period really that important if the PTB get the guy they want? On the Gus side, does winning one, two, or three more games really make a difference if you're tired of win or get fired games, want to come back to UA, and get to have a say in who your boss is? 

I am personally not a Gus fan, though I figure he'll do better here than CBB has. How much better is the question. I'd prefer a younger, hungrier guy like Norvell. Still, if Gus is the pick and he wants it (two big ifs), I don't see how the results of his next game or games matter(s). The only consideration I can see on our side is the fear of being played by Gus/Sexton. If there is even a trace of that fear, Auburn's winning on Saturday may cause the PTB to move early on someone else such as Norvell or whomever else is on the radar.

EFBAB

We haven't beaten Bama in a decade. No way we are going to move on from him winning more games and maybe going to the playoffs. It'll make hiring him a bit more difficult but if that's truly their (PTB) guy, winning more games will not be a deterrent

Piggie

Quote from: Pork Ranger on November 19, 2017, 01:07:47 pm

We haven't beaten Bama in a decade. No way we are going to move on from him winning more games and maybe going to the playoffs. It'll make hiring him a bit more difficult but if that's truly their (PTB) guy, winning more games will not be a deterrent

But if we wait, it will be a heavy price to pay if he changes his mind, which he might, if he gets caught up in all the hooplah, especially if he were to pull off a national championship. No, I say, commit after the Iron Bowl, or we are moving on.
It's a great day to be a Bryant Hornet!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Piggie on November 19, 2017, 01:11:00 pm
But if we wait, it will be a heavy price to pay if he changes his mind, which he might, if he gets caught up in all the hooplah, especially if he were to pull off a national championship. No, I say, commit after the Iron Bowl, or we are moving on.

I think this is right. If he wins the Iron Bowl, the timeline becomes too long and there are no backup options. (all the other Plan B coaches will already have landing spots, which makes Auburn not want to let him go even more)

If Auburn wins the Iron Bowl, I am pretty sure we are moving on to someone else.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Pork Ranger on November 19, 2017, 01:07:47 pm

Sure. Let's hold up our whole program for a guy that's beaten bama one more time than we have the last decade. And that was on a miracle play. If he can't decide by next Sunday we need to move on.

Simple Swineman

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 19, 2017, 01:26:31 pm
Sure. Let's hold up our whole program for a guy that's beaten bama one more time than we have the last decade. And that was on a miracle play. If he can't decide by next Sunday we need to move on.

If beating Bama more than once in the last decade is our criteria then these are our options...
Urban Meyer
Hugh Freeze
Les Miles

If beating Bama at least once in the last decade is our criteria then these are our options in addition to the above...
Dabo Swinney
Bob Stoops
Gus Malzahn
Kevin Sumlin
Gene Chizik
Steve Spurrier
Kyle Whittingham

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on November 19, 2017, 12:58:15 pm

EFBAB

Good points.

What Gus probably wants is more job security at Auburn to offset his losing record against Saban since the Kick Six.  Arkansas is a relatively safe fall back to extend his career at least 5 years but not an opportunity to go after a championship.  This will be the last time that option in on the table for GM if things go bad at Auburn next year.  He an Sexton are using the Arkansas job but also might opt to take it if Auburn can't give his any future security.

Auburn PTB don't want to commit to Gus long term but they probably don't want to go into the market this year if they can avoid it and they don't want to pass on a championship this year if they get by Bama.

Until the Iron Bowl result is known it's probably impossible to commit to any course of action but it wouldn't surprise if Sexton already knows what the options are either way.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 19, 2017, 01:26:31 pm

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do. But it appears the BOT and athletic administration would be willing to wait. JMO but that's the way it seems

JONAS

Quote from: Piggie on November 19, 2017, 01:11:00 pm

I agree.  Move on and hire Norvell.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Simple Swineman on November 19, 2017, 01:40:26 pm
If beating Bama more than once in the last decade is our criteria then these are our options...
Urban Meyer
Hugh Freeze
Les Miles

If beating Bama at least once in the last decade is our criteria then these are our options in addition to the above...
Dabo Swinney
Bob Stoops
Gus Malzahn
Kevin Sumlin
Gene Chizik
Steve Spurrier
Kyle Whittingham

Tyvm.

DLUXHOG

Please....  go ahead and continue to contribute to the dumpster fire.    "It may be a dumpster fire, but it's our dumpster fire..."
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)