Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morris Vs Norvell

Started by ipigsooie, November 18, 2017, 10:42:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Ranger

Quote from: duckman on November 19, 2017, 07:58:16 am
How was the defense???

Non existent on either side of the ball.

depressed_fan

Neither one of them guys will be any better than Jack Crow here.

duckman

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 19, 2017, 08:00:01 am
Non existent on either side of the ball.

That was my point...  Norvell scares me...

Pork Ranger

Quote from: duckman on November 19, 2017, 08:16:25 am

Yeah, it's my concern as well. If he's picked I think he needs to emphasize Oline and Dline.  Regardless of the offense you run, you better have these two nailed down if you want success in the SEC

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pork Ranger on November 19, 2017, 08:28:08 am
Yeah, it's my concern as well. If he's picked I think he needs to emphasize Oline and Dline.  Regardless of the offense you run, you better have these two nailed down if you want success in the SEC

We don't have offense, defense, or line play now. At least we will get Offense.

Danimal

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 19, 2017, 09:17:49 am
This.

Pork Ranger

True that! And Special Teams!

Smithian

If we're looking at coaches in the Dallas area, I'd prefer Seth Littrell. Took over a disaster at UNT and has turn it around quickly. Better than Morris. Good backup option if we miss first few choices.

Pork Twain

November 19, 2017, 09:31:37 pm #58 Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 10:02:54 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: duckman on November 19, 2017, 08:16:25 am
Same here.  In one breath, people want to heap tons of praise on his offense and in the next breath they excuse his defense because he is not in a conference known for defense.  I would try really hard to keep that second point in mind when I was beating my chest about the first point.  How will that translate to the SEC when he cannot stop anyone and the other team shuts him down.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

That's all true but I would prefer we hire a well rounded and proven coach with our next hire.  There are enough of those out there, that we will not need to settle.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

imtad16

Quote from: Smithian on November 19, 2017, 01:34:43 pm
If we're looking at coaches in the Dallas area, I'd prefer Seth Littrell. Took over a disaster at UNT and has turn it around quickly. Better than Morris. Good backup option if we miss first few choices.

The only thing with Littrell is he and his dad both played at OU. So, if he gets it going here and Lincoln Riley doesn't work out OU might come after him. I know a lot of if's there and maybe we should just worry about that when it gets here, but just something to think about.

SMU did beat UNT 54-32 earlier this season as well.

HawgTide

And special teams. Norvell emphasizes special teams unlike our current coach

Paul

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 19, 2017, 09:33:23 pm
That's all true but I would prefer we hire a well rounded and proven coach with our next hire.  There are enough of those out there, that we will not need to settle.
who you want who fit those criteria & would come?  It's easy to point out flaws in coaches. Harder to put it out there who you prefer.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Paul on November 20, 2017, 11:27:00 pm
who you want who fit those criteria & would come?  It’s easy to point out flaws in coaches. Harder to put it out there who you prefer.
Not my job as an internet warrior.  I do not like the thought of hiring a coach that has never fielded a defense worth a darn.

jgcat4

i watched all of it. It looked like a Petrino team. Phenomenal offense, and a defense about like what we have now. If Norvell hires a good DC he will be great. Everyone says, "He doesn't have the experience to hire a good DC." Maybe he just doesn't have the resources at his disposal to hire one at Memphis. Someone has to take a chance. We are not in the position to hold out for the greatest n the world. As my dad used to say, beggars can't be choosers.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

GuvHog

Quote from: jgcat4 on November 21, 2017, 08:32:49 am
i watched all of it. It looked like a Petrino team. Phenomenal offense, and a defense about like what we have now. If Norvell hires a good DC he will be great. Everyone says, "He doesn't have the experience to hire a good DC." Maybe he just doesn't have the resources at his disposal to hire one at Memphis. Someone has to take a chance. We are not in the position to hold out for the greatest n the world. As my dad used to say, beggars can't be choosers.

While watching Memphis play SMU last Saturday, I noticed that the Tigers run the 3-4 defense that the Hogs have run this year so if Norvell is hired, it wouldn't surprise me to see him keep Paul Rhoads as DC and hire new position coaches.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ipigsooie

Rhoades has taken some heat this year but the defense is improving. Also look at first halfs this year. Our defense was pretty good. They have to get frustrated with a complete lack of offense. I think if we hire someone that can help us scheme up some points out defense will be fine. I would be ok with him retaining rhoades.

jgcat4

Quote from: GuvHog on November 21, 2017, 09:03:26 am
While watching Memphis play SMU last Saturday, I noticed that the Tigers run the 3-4 defense that the Hogs have run this year so if Norvell is hired, it wouldn't surprise me to see him keep Paul Rhoads as DC and hire new position coaches.

I agree. I personally like the 3-4. I also think the defense is better than it has been. A really productive offense helps a defense. You want to play better when the other side of the ball is scoring.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

onebadrubi

I don't understand why we should be interested in Morris at all.  He wouldn't be in my top 15-25 options. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: GuvHog on November 21, 2017, 09:03:26 am

If norvell makes it to Arkansas, I don't want anything to do with his defensive philosophy from Memphis.

311Hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 21, 2017, 10:52:53 am
I don't understand why we should be interested in Morris at all.  He wouldn't be in my top 15-25 options. 

Texas connection blah blah blah.  Major force wants some kinda Texas connection or reconnection depending on your opinion.

I honestly feel like either one would not find it difficult to score if they came to the Hogs, but filling out a staff for the defensive side would be an adventure.

onebadrubi

Quote from: 311Hog on November 21, 2017, 10:56:22 am
Texas connection blah blah blah.  Major force wants some kinda Texas connection or reconnection depending on your opinion.

I honestly feel like either one would not find it difficult to score if they came to the Hogs, but filling out a staff for the defensive side would be an adventure.

There are plenty of ways to rekindle the texas connections without hiring a guy that is coaching at a texas school that isn't really getting it done, IMO. 

Edit: Getting it done on a level I would deem fit to take over Arkansas. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Pork Twain on November 19, 2017, 09:31:37 pm
Same here.  In one breath, people want to heap tons of praise on his offense and in the next breath they excuse his defense because he is not in a conference known for defense.  I would try really hard to keep that second point in mind when I was beating my chest about the first point.  How will that translate to the SEC when he cannot stop anyone and the other team shuts him down.

It will look like the only time his team played a team this year with a defense, UCF beat them 41-10.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 21, 2017, 11:20:15 am
It will look like the only time his team played a team this year with a defense, UCF beat them 41-10.

40-13, but the point remains.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977