Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Old-School 20 Squat Routine

Started by Ragnar Hogbrok, August 29, 2016, 06:00:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ragnar Hogbrok

Anyone heard of this?  Apparently, it's been around since at least the 60s.

You choose a back-squat weight where you will reach muscle failure at the 12th rep.  Then, you stand with the weight and rest just long enough to eek out one more rep.  Repeat until 20 reps are complete.

I did this on Sunday not really believing in the "guaranteed" results of leg gains and upper body gains due to testosterone stimulation, etc.

The day after:  I'm a believer and will keep this up.  Anyone else try/hear of this?  What are your thoughts?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/irontamer5.htm
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

DeltaBoy

Yes it is a classic power building work out. Our O line Coach in HS had all the linemen do it during the off season.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Did my second iteration of this workout today followed by leg presses.  Sunday I did the squat routine plus dead lifts.

Anyways, by the 15th rep, I'm struggling to breath and sweating like a lady of the night in church.

I'm liking it so far.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.

DeltaBoy

It builds core strength and power.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Ragnar Hogbrok

I'm up to 235 lbs 20 times.

Doesn't sound like much, but it kicks my butt.  I'm better than I was last week.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: The Chief on September 13, 2016, 11:06:33 pm
I'm up to 235 lbs 20 times.

Doesn't sound like much, but it kicks my butt.  I'm better than I was last week.

Keep it up Chief it a Classic that works well.   With my knees I just been doing body weight squats and I can tell an improvement just doing that.

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Polecat on September 22, 2016, 12:45:14 pm
Sounds awesome!

It is.  I actually had to go back down to 225 lbs because I only got 12 reps at 245 lbs and had to stop.  I think doing this twice per week may be too much.  I'm going to still have two leg days, but only one will consist of the 20 rep squat.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: The Chief on September 22, 2016, 01:33:33 pm
It is.  I actually had to go back down to 225 lbs because I only got 12 reps at 245 lbs and had to stop.  I think doing this twice per week may be too much.  I'm going to still have two leg days, but only one will consist of the 20 rep squat.

Good listen to your body , it easy to overdo this one and your pay in spades.

10thPlanet

10thPlanet

Quote from: The Chief on September 22, 2016, 01:33:33 pm
I can see that!