Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jeff Long AD of the Year

Started by WilsonHog, May 20, 2015, 09:02:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on May 21, 2015, 10:22:16 am

90% agree with Hogwall.  Awfully sad that fellow Hog fans are belittled for voicing a dissenting view.   It still seems to me that JL is good/heavy on the $$ and weak/light on the athletics and 100% good at JL.

While I agree that you have a right to be wrong, I don't agree that you shouldn't be called out for it.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Kevin

congrats mr long.

now let our baseball team play in state teams, to help them host a regional
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

EastexHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 21, 2015, 01:30:25 pm
The easiest way to have gain some weight in your statements in the eyes of others is to have some facts, figures, firsthand knowledge or logical and rational thoughts involved………………………..

On the one hand you have the announcement of this national award for our athletic director.  On the other hand you have the announcement of the final standings in the SEC all-sports competition.

Discuss among yourselves.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 21, 2015, 04:10:41 pm
On the one hand you have the announcement of this national award for our athletic director.  On the other hand you have the announcement of the final standings in the SEC all-sports competition.

On the third hand, get over yourself. 

Crap.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ricepig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 21, 2015, 04:26:27 pm
On the third hand, get over yourself. 

Crap.

He can't, Jeff fired his Daddy.....

Hog1952

Congrats Jeff Long......hope you stay for a loooooong time!  Woo pie!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 21, 2015, 04:10:41 pm

MONEY!!!

Jeff's job is to hire good coaches, which he's done, and to keep the atletic dept. flush with cash, which he's probably the best at in the entire country.

He's done a great job of both, and THAT'S why the picked him AD of the year.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hawgzinbowlz

90% agree with Hogwall.  Awfully sad that fellow Hog fans are belittled for voicing a dissenting view.   It still seems to me that JL is good/heavy on the $$ and weak/light on the athletics and 100% good at JL.

This is where it went off the rails. A dissenting view is good, the bold is untrue.
Congrats, again, to JL.

" GO HOGS "

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 21, 2015, 09:05:53 am
I'm sorry that someone running a multi, multi, multi million dollar enterprise isn't perfect, as you think they should be.

P.S. How do you know for a fact that he initiated contact with those other schools? By all means provide some proof. I bet you can't. Even IF he did then that's fine with me, since as an employer of people I know that that happens all the time and have no problem with it. I guess you think it is professionally moral for a company to initiate contact with your people but not your employee to do so with them. It should be a two-way street.

Bot candidates for the A.D. Texas Job were graduates of UT, Patterson had both College and Professional experience. I have lived here in TX for 40 years now and have some good sources. Jeff Long was never considered for that job.

You can't play Mr. Morality and be Self Righteous in public while lying to the people you work for to get more money from them. Jeff Long is doing a Great Job promoting Jeff Long. What has he won?

ricepig

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on May 21, 2015, 08:44:38 pm
Bot candidates for the A.D. Texas Job were graduates of UT, Patterson had both College and Professional experience. I have lived here in TX for 40 years now and have some good sources. Jeff Long was never considered for that job.

You can't play Mr. Morality and be Self Righteous in public while lying to the people you work for to get more money from them. Jeff Long is doing a Great Job promoting Jeff Long. What has he won?

What has any AD won, they don't play or coach, lol. As far as a raise, nobody held a gun to our BOT or administration, we didn't have give him one. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on May 21, 2015, 08:44:38 pm

Using the word Sources? Now THAT is funny.................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NS02

Congratulations to Jeff Long.  This is also a positive reflection on AR for being our AD.

KY Hog Man

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 21, 2015, 12:37:21 pm
Unless you are the one that forced him to hire Cal then you don't know if he was or wasn't forced too. I'm betting he wasn't. Prove me wrong.

Just going by what the Kentucky faithful and local media have said. 

jesterzzn

If you are true in your convictions then the idle chattering of others shouldn't bother you at all. 

Men that take supposedly principled positions and in the same breath lament their lack of popularity are the kinds of men whose motivations I find the most suspect.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jesterzzn on May 22, 2015, 10:52:39 am
If you are true in your convictions then the idle chattering of others shouldn't bother you at all. 

Men that take supposedly principled positions and in the same breath lament their lack of popularity are the kinds of men whose motivations I find the most suspect.

Sir, I believe you are the best on here at getting to the truth of an issue.  +1

LZH

Sooiecide is just voicing an opinion that ya'll are uncomfortable with, because you know what it feels like to be played and betrayed by someone in the AD Department and the wiser of you know damn well it could happen again.  Do I like Long?.....yeah, I do.  Would I trust him with my eternal soul?....hell no.  He's done well so far, but Broyles, Holtz, Nutt, and Petrino all did well at one time, too.

Patting our AD the back for what he's done is fine.  But running a old-head poster into the ground because he's unsure if Long's success here has been part luck or not, then by all means sell your soul......again.  You're obviously still experts - just like you have been for years.

popcornhog

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on May 21, 2015, 06:53:40 am
Con Man of the Decade. He already used both Texas and Stanford even though neither were interested in him for leverage to get undeserved raises from Arkansas. May be this award will get him that Next Job that he really wants at a very Liberal institution that will appreciate him more for what he is.

Lol wut?
WPS

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 23, 2015, 12:07:50 pm
Sooiecide is just voicing an opinion that ya'll are uncomfortable with, because you know what it feels like to be played and betrayed by someone in the AD Department and the wiser of you know damn well it could happen again.  Do I like Long?.....yeah, I do.  Would I trust him with my eternal soul?....hell no.  He's done well so far, but Broyles, Holtz, Nutt, and Petrino all did well at one time, too.

Patting our AD the back for what he's done is fine.  But running a old-head poster into the ground because he's unsure if Long's success here has been part luck or not, then by all means sell your soul......again.  You're obviously still experts - just like you have been for years.

What if we're sure though? I'd say the "experts" say he's a good AD, or they voted him as one. He's fine to state his opinion, just be prepared to take the heat, just like always on here.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 23, 2015, 01:01:30 pm
What if we're sure though? I'd say the "experts" say he's a good AD, or they voted him as one. He's fine to state his opinion, just be prepared to take the heat, just like always on here.

Fair enough.  But as usual, it's hard for me not to take a shot or two at the sheep...er, guys on here who latch onto whoever (whomever?) is in the position at the time as the best in the business....again, and again, and again.  You know what I mean.  Petrino was a genius right up until the point that he wasn't our coach anymore.  Bielema can do no wrong right now, the best coach we've ever had (hell, he invented the wheel), but let him take a job somewhere else and within a month it will be revealed that he really wasn't all that great in the first place.

I'm certainly not saying Long doesn't deserve all the accolades that he's been getting.  I'm just pointing out that we've seen this before, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking questions about him and his personal ambitions.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: sickboy on May 21, 2015, 11:46:54 am
Logical dissent against the misguided majority is admirable and self sacrificing. Dissent in the face of overwhelming fact to the contrary is egotistical.
That's better than the Cosell quote, very well said.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 23, 2015, 03:24:18 pm
That's better than the Cosell quote, very well said.

Not really.   The Cosell quote has a plethora of applications.   The above quote not so much.   Now if he's inferring that I'm egotistical, I guess for your purposes, and his, then it would in fact be better for its usage.

I'm not trying to be egotistical.   It seems to me that at every turn he's been saved from a bad decision or simply had a stroke of good fortune with his coaching hires.   His money and marketing stuff has been liberating at putting us into modern times, but I'm fearful of his coaching hire capabilities.

It doesn't help that he comes off as politician schmoozy as well, but hey.   I'll take the hit on that one.   It may just be me.

I do think that his being given the popular vote doesn't necessarily say the right things about him though.  Yes, yes.   I know.   I'm lame.   I smell bad.   I'm delusional, etc., etc., ad nauseum.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on May 23, 2015, 04:39:08 pm
It may just be me.

I do think that his being given the popular vote doesn't necessarily say the right things about him though.  Yes, yes.   I know.   I'm lame.   I smell bad.   I'm delusional, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

Yes, it is just you.

You're not any of those things though.

You're just not seeing this issue as it is, that's all.  Each of us has an issue like this.

jesterzzn

Quote from: LZH on May 23, 2015, 12:07:50 pm
Do I like Long?.....yeah, I do.  Would I trust him with my eternal soul?....hell no. 

Ya know, I was just thinking that what this thread needed was some out of control hyperbole.  Anyone want to call down some Nazi comparisons so we can tie a nice bow on things?

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on May 23, 2015, 04:39:08 pm
Not really.   The Cosell quote has a plethora of applications.   The above quote not so much.   Now if he's inferring that I'm egotistical, I guess for your purposes, and his, then it would in fact be better for its usage.

I'm not trying to be egotistical.   It seems to me that at every turn he's been saved from a bad decision or simply had a stroke of good fortune with his coaching hires.   His money and marketing stuff has been liberating at putting us into modern times, but I'm fearful of his coaching hire capabilities.

It doesn't help that he comes off as politician schmoozy as well, but hey.   I'll take the hit on that one.   It may just be me.

You're certainly not alone in your view though it may seem that way in a forum composed largely of herd followers.

The University of Arkansas should be credited for saving an unimpressive AD from himself.  If his attempt to hire Tommy Bowden had not been slapped down he'd probably be known today as the former Arkansas AD.

WilsonHog

All because an entity recognized a University of Arkansas employee for excellence in his job.

Such animus.

I agree with Hogwall and suggest that Otter might take his own post in the same context as he suggests Hogwall's fit into.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 24, 2015, 11:26:11 am
Hold on a minute, Tom.  For the moment, let's consider it was a business entity that recognized Long.  I think one fair criticism of Long is he is continuing the trend of escalating the price to attend athletic events - all in the name of pursuing the all mighty dollar simply because everyone else is.  Business before all other concerns seems to be Long's signature.  Is that healthy in the long term for the University of Arkansas? 

Long certainly isn't the only AD doing this, but I do think he is (and should be) subject to some criticism for the trend of making events harder to attend for a growing number of fans in the state and region. 

He's pretty darn good, but Long is not without some faults (that I wish he would address).

What do you wish he address? As far as cost to attend events, it feel safe to say we stack up well with our SEC brethren.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 24, 2015, 11:40:34 am
Comparing our cost of attendance to our SEC brethren is only part of the equation.  How about comparing disposable income with the rest of our SEC brethren?  I'm suggesting a good number of pockets of the Arkansas fan base only go so deep (especially when compared to the rest of the SEC).  I'm suggesting that Long (with the full support of the BOT no doubt) has pushed the business model a bit too far when it comes to maximizing the revenue from the fans.

As good an AD as Long has been, I just feel this is the one area where I'd like to see him more in touch with a wider segment of the fanbase. 

The cost of attending any sporting event is out the roof, I think we're fine for our disposable income when compared to the others. Outside of a few games, usually no more than 1 a season, you can find tickets to any home sporting event for less than face value. I guess you expect him to provide you 50yd line seats for $10/game, if so, go check out ASU, UCA, or ATU.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 24, 2015, 12:06:43 pm
But again, the point here is not to compare to the others, rather look at our market internally.  Arkansas cannot compare to others when the economics of this state is not comparable to others.  Is the cost of attending Razorback sporting events decreasing the demand for tickets?  It's a fair question and one that cannot be answered by looking at what everyone else does in the conference. 

Which ought to be a point of concern to Long.. and I'm sure he is aware of this.
When your major sports are not selling out and/or producing capacity crowds, any AD worth his/her salt ought to be determining the root causes and taking corrective measures.

Winning puts butts in the seats, always has, always will. We are progressing in that right direction in most sports. If you are winning and having trouble selling at or near max, then it needs to be looked at. You failed to address my point about tickets being available for every event, most often below face value. I have no problems with discounting some nose bleed corner sections if they don't sell as season tickets, they did this last year. What exactly are you wanting?

tusksincolorado

Dang....some folks would just bitch if a beautiful red-headed woman was standing naked in front of them....because they prefer blondes better.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

jesterzzn

jesterzzn

Quote from: Tom Bennett on May 23, 2015, 08:24:14 pm
All because an entity recognized a University of Arkansas employee for excellence in his job.

Such animus.
It is a willfully blind animus at this point.  The segment that hates him does so entirely oblivious to their prejudice.

Ticket prices...good grief.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2015, 12:19:34 pm
Winning puts butts in the seats, always has, always will. We are progressing in that right direction in most sports. If you are winning and having trouble selling at or near max, then it needs to be looked at. You failed to address my point about tickets being available for every event, most often below face value. I have no problems with discounting some nose bleed corner sections if they don't sell as season tickets, they did this last year. What exactly are you wanting?

Winning doesn't always put butts in the seats anymore, especially when it comes to football and men's basketball what with every game being on TV. A University has to make it worth while for non season ticket fans to attend. One Idea would be to lower all of the upper deck  bench seats to $30 or $35. They'd probably sell them out for every SEC game and for most of the non-conference games.

All things considered, Jeff Long is doing a pretty good job. I gave him exceptionally high marks for hiring CBB but I still believe he could have handled Petrino's firing better than he did. I also believe he was forced to hire Mike Anderson (which turns out looking like a good hire). Jeff Long isn't perfect but then no AD is. If people are looking for a perfect AD, they aren't going to find one.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

aar0n

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 24, 2015, 01:12:00 pm
Nice entrance, simpleton.

I love when an otherwise decent thread nose-dives into a "who can call the other the smartest-sounding demeaning term" argument thread.  Usually the ones lacking fact-based arguments are the first to fire their word bullets because they're backed into a corner.  A studying psychologist would love this place. 

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on May 24, 2015, 01:46:13 pm
Winning doesn't always put butts in the seats anymore, especially when it comes to football and men's basketball what with every game being on TV. A University has to make it worth while for non season ticket fans to attend. One Idea would be to lower all of the upper deck  bench seats to $30 or $35. They'd probably sell them out for every SEC game and for most of the non-conference games.

All things considered, Jeff Long is doing a pretty good job. I gave him exceptionally high marks for hiring CBB but I still believe he could have handled Petrino's firing better than he did. I also believe he was forced to hire Mike Anderson (which turns out looking like a good hire). Jeff Long isn't perfect but then no AD is. If people are looking for a perfect AD, they aren't going to find one.

Worthwhile? I can see the end seats going for less in a season ticket package, or some type of mini package. You want to charge the Auburn and Mizzou fans $30/ticket, I doubt they'll ever do us the favor, lol.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 24, 2015, 01:46:38 pm
Indeed success helps, but economics can't be avoided either. 

I posted this point earlier in this thread as well. 
That was mainly meant for the benefit of jesterzzn, who apparently can't be bothered to read above the fold...

While there will always be a few tickets available for resale at the stadium due to last minute changes in fan's plans, some of the attendance numbers from the 2014 football season should be getting Long's attention.  An even more aggressive promotion with deeper discounted packages should be started even earlier in the sales cycle in order to help replenish an aging football fanbase.   

There should be no more than 1% unsold tickets to any home game if the tickets are priced correctly.  Looking at the 2014 attendance numbers strongly suggests the prices still weren't where they needed to be. 

I'm not saying a radical overhaul is needed with respect to ticket prices, but rather an adjustment.  A successful 2015 campaign (by itself) might solve the problem of empty seats but the ability of the fanbase to pay has to be considered as well.

Would you say the "economics" of the state is better or worse than 2012? You know we sold out of season tickets prior to the first game, so? An AD always has to consider what delivers the biggest bucks, the athletic department runs on it. As far as marketing, it's real easy to say after the fact what to do, who do you market for?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 24, 2015, 11:26:11 am
Hold on a minute, Tom.  For the moment, let's consider it was a business entity that recognized Long.  I think one fair criticism of Long is he is continuing the trend of escalating the price to attend athletic events - all in the name of pursuing the all mighty dollar simply because everyone else is.  Business before all other concerns seems to be Long's signature.  Is that healthy in the long term for the University of Arkansas? 

Long certainly isn't the only AD doing this, but I do think he is (and should be) subject to some criticism for the trend of making events harder to attend for a growing number of fans in the state and region. 

He's pretty darn good, but Long is not without some faults (that I wish he would address).

You forget it has always been difficult for some fans to attend games financially. I can sympathize but there is no right to buy. I know in the past I couldn't afford them but I didn't whine about it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jesterzzn

Quote from: aar0n on May 24, 2015, 01:50:35 pm
I love when an otherwise decent thread nose-dives into a "who can call the other the smartest-sounding demeaning term" argument thread. 

This thread didn't last twelve replies. 

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on May 21, 2015, 06:53:40 am
Con Man of the Decade.

Let's not pretend this was ever actually about debate.  If it were there are other places it could be held.  This is about some dunderheaded clodpates thread crapping on a recognition of achievement for our AD.  Nothing more.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2015, 01:51:01 pm
Worthwhile? I can see the end seats going for less in a season ticket package, or some type of mini package. You want to charge the Auburn and Mizzou fans $30/ticket, I doubt they'll ever do us the favor, lol.

90% of the visitors seats are on the lower level East side near the scoreboard so the Auburn fans wouldn't benefit very much from it. If need be, they can designate the 2 upper deck sections above the visitors seats as visitors seats too and charge them full price ($45).

LZH

Quote from: tusksincolorado on May 24, 2015, 12:34:18 pm
Dang....some folks would just bitch if a beautiful red-headed woman was standing naked in front of them....because they prefer blondes better.

Welp, reds generally don't tan well...but they're much better horizontal 'rasslers.

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on May 24, 2015, 06:10:32 pm
90% of the visitors seats are on the lower level East side near the scoreboard so the Auburn fans wouldn't benefit very much from it. If need be, they can designate the 2 upper deck sections above the visitors seats as visitors seats too and charge them full price ($45).

$45 isn't full price for SEC games.

ricepig

Miss St just announced that they hold sold more season tickets than ever, do you want to guess why? Larger donors were able to grab up more seats this year at Arkansas this year, and did. The other things you mentioned are true, but I don't see the price of tickets on a whole to be declining any time soon.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2015, 07:19:13 pm
Miss St just announced that they hold sold more season tickets than ever, do you want to guess why? Larger donors were able to grab up more seats this year at Arkansas this year, and did. The other things you mentioned are true, but I don't see the price of tickets on a whole to be declining any time soon.

I just wonder if college football is heading to what MLB has become (and being totally OK with it).  It isn't about filling the stadiums anymore, it's about the TV money.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 24, 2015, 09:40:04 pm
I just wonder if college football is heading to what MLB has become (and being totally OK with it).  It isn't about filling the stadiums anymore, it's about the TV money.

For some, then some will be like the Cardinals and put 95%+ there every game. It still boils down to winning IMO.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: LZH on May 24, 2015, 06:34:45 pm
Welp, reds generally don't tan well...but they're much better horizontal 'rasslers.

Yes Sir....from my experience, your assessment is correct!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2015, 09:43:28 pm
For some, then some will be like the Cardinals and put 95%+ there every game. It still boils down to winning IMO.

That's because Cardinal Fans are TRUE baseball fans....They enjoy ALL the aspects of the game, not just winning or losing.

But WINNING HELPS A LOT!   ;)

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2015, 06:41:17 pm
$45 isn't full price for SEC games.

Oh yeah, I forgot. make that $55.

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2015, 07:19:13 pm

That's true at Mississippi State because for the first time in many years, they have a coach that knows how to win. The Hogs will fill 70,000 to 72,000 seats for SEC games but many fans aren't willing to drive that far and pay those ticket prices to watch the Hogs play the sisters of the poor in non conference play, they'd rather stay home and watch the game on TV. It's good for the Hogs to schedule gimmies in non conference play but the U of A will have to make it worth while for fans to make the trip.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on May 25, 2015, 08:54:30 am
That's true at Mississippi State because for the first time in many years, they have a coach that knows how to win. The Hogs will fill 70,000 to 72,000 seats for SEC games but many fans aren't willing to drive that far and pay those ticket prices to watch the Hogs play the sisters of the poor in non conference play, they'd rather stay home and watch the game on TV. It's good for the Hogs to schedule gimmies in non conference play but the U of A will have to make it worth while for fans to make the trip.

Almost all schools do not fill when playing less than p5 conference teams for their non conference games.

jmb1973

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 21, 2015, 09:45:14 am
You used to be one that called him a carpetbagging yankee and talked all kinds of smack about him.  Change your tune yet?

His Big Daddy Robert Shields told him to be nice to Jeff.