Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did DVH criticize and blame losses on his players?

Started by TulsaHawg, March 29, 2006, 07:05:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHawg

March 29, 2006, 07:05:49 am Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 07:09:57 am by TulsaHawg
In discussing losses to Florida, DVH is quoted in HI as saying, "If you look at all three games, this is what will beat you. The mistakes in the seventh on Friday night and then (Sunday), we were rolling along and should have got another run here and there, but we've got a 7-0 lead and we should have held them to maybe three or four runs than inning. That's the sign  of some dumb mistakes  and guys just not getting it done with defense when the game is on the line. That's what's disappointing."

Should he have shouldered the blame to shield his players?  There have been past posts here saying that a coach should not publicly blame his players for losses.

I do not see anything wrong with what DVH said.  It's an example of the types of statements coaches routinely make in critiquing their teams' play.

What say you?

dman

He was stating fact, and he also said "we" that is positive.  Personally I do not see anything wrong wityh him getting tossed last night, my wife and I disagreed.  He seems like an honest coach that wants to win  I am glad he is ours.

idochog

Winners have a confident swagger and fire to them.  You can tell DVH has that.  That is why he has turned losers into winners everywhere he has been from Texarkana College to Nebraska to soon to be dominant Arkansas.
I love Jesus!

zwhogfan

I wouldn't say DVH placed the blame on his players, I believe he accepted it also. DVH hasn't tried to pass blame for losses. Bottom line is that he is a great coach and a proven winner and has brought Arkansas baseball up to national prominence

CharlieHog

In baseball the coach doesn't really call plays. Yeah, I know, he sends runners, hit and run, aligns the defense. But you know what I mean, it's not the same as football. Also, in baseball each player is more responsible for the outcome of the game than in football, since in baseball each player must play offense and defense.

If a player makes an error that costs us a game, or a lead, that's his fault.

If the player continues to make errors and the coach leaves him out there, I guess that could be the coaches fault, except that we don't have any backups due to injury.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: CharlieHog on March 29, 2006, 07:43:37 am
In baseball the coach doesn't really call plays. Yeah, I know, he sends runners, hit and run, aligns the defense. But you know what I mean, it's not the same as football. Also, in baseball each player is more responsible for the outcome of the game than in football, since in baseball each player must play offense and defense.

If a player makes an error that costs us a game, or a lead, that's his fault.

If the player continues to make errors and the coach leaves him out there, I guess that could be the coaches fault, except that we don't have any backups due to injury.

Charlie, this is off topic of this thread, but were you surprised that started Forsythe at 2nd against UGA Friday?  He had played Robison there against Centenary, but gave Logan his first start at that position against an SEC team?

I realize that with the injuries, they have to get him in there sometime; just found it kinda odd that he played him at 3rd against Centenary and then gave him his first shot at 2nd against UGA.

HatfieldHog

If a player "boots" a ground ball, you can't help that with coaching during the game.  Baseball is more of an individual game than any other. Sometimes, the player, the pitch, the hit, is the reason.  That's why they give pitchers the "Win" or the "Loss."  Or, they call it the "Game winning Hit."

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

TulsaHawg

Quote from: HatfieldHog on March 29, 2006, 08:03:07 am
If a player "boots" a ground ball, you can't help that with coaching during the game.  Baseball is more of an individual game than any other. Sometimes, the player, the pitch, the hit, is the reason.  That's why they give pitchers the "Win" or the "Loss."  Or, they call it the "Game winning Hit."

See ya

To compare to other sports.......

If Brewer had hit his last shot against Bucknell, we may have won the game.  In the same game, had Modica hit his FT's (as well as otheres), we could have won the game.

Had the FG kicker made the FG's against LSU last season, we may have won the game. Had MJ not fumbled against Texas in 04, we may have won the game.

I understand what you are saying Hatfield, but I am not sure the individual components are not as important in other sports as well.

CharlieHog

Quote from: TulsaHawg on March 29, 2006, 07:57:56 am
Charlie, this is off topic of this thread, but were you surprised that started Forsythe at 2nd against UGA Friday?  He had played Robison there against Centenary, but gave Logan his first start at that position against an SEC team?

I realize that with the injuries, they have to get him in there sometime; just found it kinda odd that he played him at 3rd against Centenary and then gave him his first shot at 2nd against UGA.

I guess he just felt more confident on defense with Forsythe at 2nd instead of Robison. The move from 3rd to 2nd isn't that big of a deal (at least, not for a quick guy like Logan), certainly not as big of a deal as outfield to infield.

I thought he might start Robison at 2nd on Saturday just because Logan looked *so* lost at the plate on Friday night, and Robison has actually been hitting.

TorsinAHog

Sometimes the truth hurts.  Unlike other sports when mistakes can be "hidden", in baseball they are magnified.  The coach cant take the blame for errors, etc.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

Nutts and Bolts

no, he should NOT have shouldered the blame. The players DID make some goof-ball mistakes.  DVH is the type of coach that holds his players accountable and if you are weak, he will replace you.  He will not settle for average from anyone.  He gets pissed when you screw up... WOW, now that is my kind of coach...
A new era has begun in Fayetteville