Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's talk about our Defense for a while.

Started by EastMemphisHog, March 29, 2006, 12:16:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EastMemphisHog

All I seem to hear about is the offensive players. Don't get me wrong, we look great on that side of the ball, but I'd like to hear about what everyone thinks about our Defense. This is probably going to be the most important part of the upcoming season. If we can't stop the other guys, it doesn't matter how many points we can put up. Does anyone think some of these younger guys(Stumon and company) are going to step up at the LB position? What about the secondary?

RebelHawg

Even though it is said that we are not very deep at LB we have pretty solid starters. The young guys could have an impact, but it is to early to tell because we have not seem them practice at the type of speed the college level plays at. I hope they can make a difference because we need all the help we can get.

Secondary seems like the biggest concern thus far. Randy Kelly seemed that he finally understood what he needed to do the last few games last year so he could have a positive impact next year...as long as he wraps up when he goes in on a tackle. John West has seemed solid so far and looks promising for next year. Michael Grant and Chris Houston are looking good at corners and the others are doing well also. As for the incoming freshmen they are pretty good, as far as I have heard.

The D-Line looks to be are solid part of the defense. Jamal Anderson is looking great as well as Marcus Harrison. Keith Jackson Jr. is getting back in his rhythm and will have a great year. As for Anthony Brown remember this is still a new position for him because before last year it was his first time to play defense. He should be pretty good if he gets his strength up and puts on some weight.

EastMemphisHog

You think Barnett could get some playing time?

codeHog

I forgot we have three more important Jucos coming for the D

RebelHawg

Yes Barnett will get some pt. He has been playing at a speed somewhat close to D-1 so as long as he learns the plays and has a good attitude he will see action this year.

zwhogfan

I think we will be very solid next year on defense. Our d-line is very deep and can run a 2 or 3 man rotation at every spot, our starting linebackers are excellent (and hopefully the incoming freshmen can supply us with some depth). My only question mark is the secondary, we will have a new starter at safety and hopefully our corners do well. By the end of last year the secondary had greatly improved and I hope that continues into next season.

idochog

No doubt we are getting better.

Another year of Herring recruiting plus Louis Campbell coaching and we are getting there.
I love Jesus!

jabohog

LB depth and Safety. I hope we have a good run stopping DL that can put pressure on the opposing QB. That will help the secondary problem some and allow new players time to get adjusted. I don't know if the new recruits coming in will help at LB or not. Herring says they have to. I have not seen Stumon play, but I suspect his speed. Taking on USC right off the bat will give a big dose of reality to everyone, but it should get us ready for SEC play.

Ross U (HDHF)

Micheal Coe looked pretty good yesterday going 1-on-1 with some of our recievers.  He was doing a good job of jamming his man at the line, and hopefully he and the other corners can become more consistent at shutting down their man.  Some guys got burned bad today, but it's the second practice.  I look for our secondary to be improved over last year.  The LB depth does concern me, as it seems to concern many others on this board.
BTW great post RebelHawg.
Quote from: RebelHawg on March 29, 2006, 12:25:35 am
Even though it is said that we are not very deep at LB we have pretty solid starters. The young guys could have an impact, but it is to early to tell because we have not seem them practice at the type of speed the college level plays at. I hope they can make a difference because we need all the help we can get.

Secondary seems like the biggest concern thus far. Randy Kelly seemed that he finally understood what he needed to do the last few games last year so he could have a positive impact next year...as long as he wraps up when he goes in on a tackle. John West has seemed solid so far and looks promising for next year. Michael Grant and Chris Houston are looking good at corners and the others are doing well also. As for the incoming freshmen they are pretty good, as far as I have heard.

The D-Line looks to be are solid part of the defense. Jamal Anderson is looking great as well as Marcus Harrison. Keith Jackson Jr. is getting back in his rhythm and will have a great year. As for Anthony Brown remember this is still a new position for him because before last year it was his first time to play defense. He should be pretty good if he gets his strength up and puts on some weight.

idochog

Not to mention a more potent offense that should put up more points and less 3 and outs so the defense doesnt always have to deal w/ a short field.
I love Jesus!

jabohog

I also think our starters are solid at LB. I feel Sims will adjust well at ML, thought I think there is another converted DE that may have been better there.
I am excited about the new offensive scheme, but I am cautiously optimistic about how well it will work. We have great players on offense, but so did Florida, and these SEC defenses schooled Urban well last year.

EastMemphisHog

So West is the main guy so far, on the lines of replacing Vaughn? At least he has some juco experience. I agree that Coe should do well at CB, but i'm just worried about the safety spot. West may have his hands full.

dishhog10

No one has mentioned Vinnett yet.   He was the best corner on the team before he got hurt, the position is only going to get better by having him back.   Michael Coe will be lucky to be running first team by fall.   When the #1 concern on your defense is who is going to be the back up linebackers, then you are going to have a pretty special unit in 2006.   
Lets band together and back BP

Ross U (HDHF)

Quote from: dishhog10 on March 29, 2006, 09:29:21 am
No one has mentioned Vinnett yet.   He was the best corner on the team before he got hurt, the position is only going to get better by having him back.   Michael Coe will be lucky to be running first team by fall.   When the #1 concern on your defense is who is going to be the back up linebackers, then you are going to have a pretty special unit in 2006.   

I like that attitude! +1

Ben Steiger

Quote from: codeHog on March 29, 2006, 12:51:55 am

It's two: Chris Wade, DE, and Freddie Barnett, DT.

Excellent attitude!
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

jabohog

Quote from: Ben Steiger on March 29, 2006, 11:03:26 am
Quote from: codeHog on March 29, 2006, 12:51:55 am

It's two: Chris Wade, DE, and Freddie Barnett, DT.

Excellent attitude!
Matt Hewitt makes 3.