Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If an SEC team wins, what does UA get?

Started by Burnt Orange Sucks, March 28, 2006, 02:03:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnt Orange Sucks

I've never really been clear on this. Everyone that I have talked to says that they want either Florida or LSU to win it.  They say this because of the money it generates inside the conference between all the teams.

Exactly what does the Uof A get if either of these teams win? Do just the teams that made it to the torney get money or every team? Do some schools get more than others depending on there record?
TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'

hogfan064

It's split between the 12 teams.  Not sure the payoff though.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

We would get the satisfaction of knowing that other teams in the SEC are having great success while we are not.  Look at what other teams have accomplished since we hired Nutt and Heath.  LSU has won a national title in football.  They're now in the Final Four in basketball.  Bama won 10 games in football.  Tennessee is suddenly a contender in basketball.  Auburn had an undefeated season in football.  I could make this list even longer but why bother?  Sure it's great to see the SEC do well, but does that really mean that much if we're still losing?  Where do we want our programs to be?  Middle of the pack or bottom feeder in a strong conference?  Or do we want to win?
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

NuttsSacked

All the TV, Bowl game, NCAA Tourney revenue, etc...is tallied up and distributed equally among the 12 member institutions.  This occurs during the annual meetings on the "Redneck Riviera" (Destin) each summer.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Are there no opinions on this?  Why do we want the rest of the SEC teams to improve while we remain stagnant?  Just for the money?  Do we want to be a mediocre team feeding off of other successful teams?  Don't get me wrong, if we ever become contenders again, I'll be SEC all the way.  I just don't see how the SEC winning will help us unless we're winning too.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

HoopS

To begin with, its not like either of them winning will negatively effect our recruiting.  It makes our conference look good nationally which could help future recruiting. 
I would rather not watch UCLA dance around with nets around their necks again.

For me, just to force the media give the S. E. C. Some love is a good thing.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

I disagree that it wouldn't affect recruiting, in football anyway.  Look at LSU.  The year we hired Nutt, LSU sucked.  Four years later, they're national champions.  Now they're competing with the big boys for the nation's top recruits.  Where do you think the kids in southern AR, northern LA, and southeast TX wanna go play?  National champion LSU, or middle of the pack Arkansas?  Without a couple of fumbles here and there, we could be in the same position as them.  If that were the case, I'd have no problem with LSU being successful.  We just need to start winning and all will be well.

Porky OLeary

I'm Frank Broyles bitch! And I'm rich!
We don' care about winning no more!

HoopS

In basketball recruiting, you only 2-5 a year. 

Football recruiting and basketball recruiting is apples and oranges.

IMO

HOGLUVIN

March 28, 2006, 04:30:49 pm #9 Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 04:34:20 pm by HOGLUVIN
I believe for the NCCA Tourney the U of A received $300,000. last time and there was not 1 team in the Final Four.

Each Conference earns "points" . These points are giving based on # of teams that they get in the tourney and how said teams perform at each round with each increase in these points the allotment of monies to that conference is increased. So every win the every SEC school gets puts more points in the SEC bucket, therefor adding to the monies that the SEC will receive and thus the money that U of A will receive.

Teams that didn't make the NCAAT will also receive the money. All 12 member institutions of the SEC will receive the same amount.

qakhed

Hogluvin is right. It is a point system for the number of teams in each round. It is based on a five year performance though. I think that the payoff is next year.
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

All I'm saying is I care about winning, not money.

qakhed

unfortunately you can't win without money.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: Russ Swinegold on March 28, 2006, 04:35:38 pm
All I'm saying is I care about winning, not money.

Money pays for the facilities that lead the SEC, or almost in every sport. Pay for recruiting trips ect. and if you are TN, pays for recruits.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

Well we have money and where did that get us in football?  I'm reserving judgement on basketball because, after all, we did at least improve from last season.  It's not like we're going to go broke if the SEC doesn't win national championships.  ALL I'M ASKING IS do you still want all that money if it means our un-ending mediocrity?

qakhed

uhhh, yeah. Wouldn't you rather be mediocre and rich then mediocre and poor? We's a gold digga

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: qakhed on March 28, 2006, 04:53:45 pm
uhhh, yeah. Wouldn't you rather be mediocre and rich then mediocre and poor? We's a gold digga

nice +1

qakhed

...get down girl, go ahead get down...    8)

HOGLUVIN

just tap me on the head before....

yeah right.

sorry, wrong thread...   ;)

qakhed

it's easy to get confused when your hogluvin.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: qakhed on March 28, 2006, 05:00:50 pm
it's easy to get confused when your hogluvin.

sooo true bro!

That chinese food has me scootin across the carpet like a poodle with a bologna ring.

HoopS

Put your seatbelt on, this thread leaves for the Tavern in
God speed

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: hoophogs on March 28, 2006, 05:03:17 pm
Put your seatbelt on, this thread leaves for the Tavern in
God speed

hope that all of you non pg13 questions were answered here 1st tho....

qakhed

That put a horrible image in my head, thanks!  (+1 anyone though)

HoopS

I'm pretyt sure you guys "educated" some young'ens.  T

I swear, teachers are so underpayed. :)

HoopS

HOGLUVIN

March 28, 2006, 05:12:10 pm #26 Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 05:15:06 pm by HOGLUVIN
 ;)

HOGLUVIN

March 28, 2006, 05:13:35 pm #27 Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 05:15:15 pm by HOGLUVIN
 ;)

HoopS

Factual Fiction

We get more proof that Stan needs to go!!!!!!!!

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: hoophogs on March 28, 2006, 05:14:18 pm
Uhhh, I was talking about my typing.

Oh... **sheepishly**, Hogluvin wishes you a good afternoon.  lol

HoopS

man, you caught me off guard there.   

It's all good.... hell, I will even +1 ya for the well wishes.

HOGLUVIN

qakhed

I think the chinese food did something to us.