Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

According to Cold Pizza...

Started by UAfan, March 28, 2006, 09:16:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UAfan

out of 2.6 million people 4 of them had the final four picked. 

Sorry if this has been posted.

Patch

I'm going to have to see it to believe it. The only way I see this being possible is

A. It's folks who don't know ANYTHING about basketball, and just picked based on which uniforms they liked most
B. It's George Mason fans/students who were just joking and put their team in the Final Four
C. It's Biff from "Back to the Future" who has come back with his Sports Almanac from the future and bet a million  dollars after knowing who would make the Final Four

cardinalhawg

Quote from: UAfan on March 28, 2006, 09:16:37 am

How about 0 of 2.6 million.  I just can't believe that four people would pick that mix of teams.  I could see people picking LSU or Florida, or even UCLA, but besides a few George Mason homers, people were not picking George Mason.  I would be very surprised if anyone got three teams right, and I could believe someone getting two teams, but not all four.

hogfan064

It could be someone with a computer that entered every possible final 4 scenario. 

But I'm going to have to say it was Biff

cardinalhawg

I would wonder if a person that picked the right teams, filled out lots and lots of brackets, or if there were some people that have done some kind of hacking or manipulation of computer software to be right. 

TorsinAHog

The big question is how many actually magered on the games with REAL money?  This is what is great about the NCAAT.  No way in HELL would a small conference (GMU is not a mid major) even get a shot in football for the BCS or NC.  That is why the NCAA football NC is a joke and march is the best time of the year.
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

LA HAWG

Think about it guys, if there is no monetary loss involved in losing but a big grand prize this would make sense.  If you are trying to win a bracket pool like ESPN's you would never win it all picking the favorites because everyone picks the favorites.  You have to pick a major upset like George Mason and hope you are correct.  You have to distinguish your bracket from all the other Joe blows out there.  I can see someone picking three legit but not favored teams and one sleeper like George Mason.  It just makes sense. 

LA HAWG

Quote from: TorsinAHog on March 28, 2006, 10:23:12 am
The big question is how many actually magered on the games with REAL money?  This is what is great about the NCAAT.  No way in HELL would a small conference (GMU is not a mid major) even get a shot in football for the BCS or NC.  That is why the NCAA football NC is a joke and march is the best time of the year.

But mid major basketball teams and major conference basketball teams are comparable.  In football there is a much larger difference in quality and quantity of players.

hogfan064

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 28, 2006, 10:26:27 am
Quote from: TorsinAHog on March 28, 2006, 10:23:12 am

But mid major basketball teams and major conference basketball teams are comparable.  In football there is a much larger difference in quality and quantity of players.

It's a huge difference.  The winner of the MEAC in basketball could beat the winner of the SEC in basketball on any given night.  In football that SEC team would kill that MEAC team.  Different sport.  You can't compare the 2.

LXXIII

If you don't believe it go to espn.com and click on Tournament Challenge, and then click leaderboard.  I personally can not fathom how anyone in their right mind would have pick this final four, but it looks as though it has happened.

hogfan064

Quote from: LXXIII on March 28, 2006, 10:47:52 am
If you don't believe it go to espn.com and click on Tournament Challenge, and then click leaderboard.  I personally can not fathom how anyone in their right mind would have pick this final four, but it looks as though it has happened.

Well, I could see someone picking Florida, they have tons of talent and a good coach.  LSU is definitely explainable.  They have big men who everyone knew would give DUke problems.  UCLA is a #2 seed so I don't think that's anything suprising. 

The only reason I could imagine George Mason would be someone was looking at the brackets and knew an #11 seed always will advance to the 2nd round.  Then they knew UNC was young and could be knocked off by an experienced Mason team.  Then they looked at the Sweet 16 and realized it was being played in Mason's backyard.  They knew Tennessee was weak and would get knocked off early.  So they picked Mason to win this region because they thought the homecrowd advantage and a weak #2 seed would help them. 

That's my reasoning.

cardinalhawg

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 28, 2006, 10:25:01 am
Think about it guys, if there is no monetary loss involved in losing but a big grand prize this would make sense.  If you are trying to win a bracket pool like ESPN's you would never win it all picking the favorites because everyone picks the favorites.  You have to pick a major upset like George Mason and hope you are correct.  You have to distinguish your bracket from all the other Joe blows out there.  I can see someone picking three legit but not favored teams and one sleeper like George Mason.  It just makes sense. 

When I used to fill out brackets, I usually did not pick the team that most were picking to win the tournament.  I may not have picked major underdogs, but I did realize that picking the same team that most are makes it tougher to win a tournament pool.

John Futrall

Quote from: Patch on March 28, 2006, 09:59:24 am
I'm going to have to see it to believe it. The only way I see this being possible is

A. It's folks who don't know ANYTHING about basketball, and just picked based on which uniforms they liked most
B. It's George Mason fans/students who were just joking and put their team in the Final Four
C. It's Biff from "Back to the Future" who has come back with his Sports Almanac from the future and bet a million  dollars after knowing who would make the Final Four

As I've seen on a few other sites, I think the answer is A......one of the persons that picked the F4 correctly, was a 15-yr old kid with 5 different brackets....Dumb luck would be my guess...

hogfan064

Quote from: mikeyg31 on March 28, 2006, 10:53:04 am

As I've seen on a few other sites, I think the answer is A......one of the persons that picked the F4 correctly, was a 15-yr old kid with 5 different brackets....Dumb luck would be my guess...

Maybe this kid is the anti-Christ.  We're all doomed!!

cardinalhawg

Quote from: mikeyg31 on March 28, 2006, 10:53:04 am

Luck seems reasonable to me.  If one fills out five brackets, then the person should fill out one a little wacky, just to have a chance to win with a strange bracket.

qakhed

"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

MCPeePants

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 28, 2006, 10:10:21 am
It could be someone with a computer that entered every possible final 4 scenario. 

That can't be the case. There would have had to have been *way* more than 2.6 million entries.

hogfan064

Quote from: MCPeePants on March 28, 2006, 11:01:17 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on March 28, 2006, 10:10:21 am

That can't be the case. There would have had to have been *way* more than 2.6 million entries.

Good point.  I'll just stick to the Biff or Anti-Christ theory

HogFanZito

Quote from: cardinalhawg on March 28, 2006, 10:08:21 am

How about 0 of 2.6 million.  I just can't believe that four people would pick that mix of teams.  I could see people picking LSU or Florida, or even UCLA, but besides a few George Mason homers, people were not picking George Mason.  I would be very surprised if anyone got three teams right, and I could believe someone getting two teams, but not all four.

Kind of like the Arkansas homers who put Arkansas in the Final 4?  lol

pork and mindy

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a bracket with the hogs in the final four.

Tomhog™

I'd be willing to bet at least 2 of them if not all of them are George Mason fans.  Who in their right mind would pick a team that didn't even win their mid-major conference to be in the final four?  Not to mention two SEC teams when the conference is "down".  Whoever it was, didn't listen to the "experts" on tv...

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: cardinalhawg on March 28, 2006, 10:08:21 am

its possible to get three right.  In my bracket I had UCLA, LSU, UCONN, and Nova(I went back and forth between nova and fl and ended up with nova, DAMnit
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

hogfan064

Next year I'm going to flip a coin and see how I do

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

Adam Stokes

You can only have 5 names under ESPN, but last year I made 4 usernames to do it with.  So 5x4 = 20.  They also mentioned that only 1/3 people had picked at least one team in the final four.  That means 67% of people had their bracket officially screwed over.  I had one team in there.

qakhed

actually I heard this yesterday. It was 2.6 million entries, and over 1.3 million people. So on average it was 2 entries per person.

South_Ark_Pig

i got 3 right without the GM, but it isnt inconceivable for some GM fans to pick the same 3 i had and then say what the hell  lets go with our team.

HouTxRzbck

I know one thing...I was 0 for 4.
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

Hawgin84

qakhed

I thought I was lucky and had 2 for 4. (UCLA & Florida) I actually had Florida losing to Duke in the championship.

chiefsfan

0 of 4 here.  It was all going well till the sweet 16.  The upsets I picked were happening, and my Final Four was still alive.

Then LSU beat Duke and I could deal with it, I didnt pick Duke to win it all, and thought i was in good shape.

I realized I was in serious trouble with 19 seconds left in the Gonzaga UCLA game.  19 seconds later, half my final four was gone.   The next night I watched helplessly as Boston College goaltended the game away to Villanova.   I still had my champion advance to the elite 8 however.   I quickly did the math and discovered I needed Memphis to win against UCLA  and have my champion pick win it all to win the pool.   I threw the bracket out Saturday Night after Memphis decided to forget how to score, and watched with Joy as my champion was defeated by scrawny George Mason the next day

I havent picked a Final Four team correctly in 2 years now...but this one I could deal with...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: ajs15razorman on March 28, 2006, 12:59:19 pm
  You can only have 5 names under ESPN, but last year I made 4 usernames to do it with.  So 5x4 = 20.  They also mentioned that only 1/3 people had picked at least one team in the final four.  That means 67% of people had their bracket officially screwed over.  I had one team in there.

Because I have no chance at winning that pool I only make 1 entry on ESPN.   I try and win my pool with friends and use a bracket like ESPN's to pick something like Arkansas in the Final Four...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.