Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

favorite razorback basketball player

Started by hoggiefan, March 28, 2006, 08:58:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hoggiefan

Who is your favorite razorback basketball player of all time?

Mine has been Corey Beck.  I just remember being about 12 or 13 and watching the razorbacks win the championship!

Chappeee

LA HAWG

March 28, 2006, 09:08:25 am #2 Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 09:10:04 am by LA HAWG
Corliss for sure is my favorite but I also liked Lee Mayberry, Lenzie Howell and Big O.

leggman131652002

Warren Linn....I know ..but hey u got to respect a man thats dad is a multi millionair that would play for Nolan..and I know that he could shoot the ball better than anyone we had this year...He would slick that hair back and look like he was ready for a GQ photo shoot

Whataboar™

Super Sid Moncrief will forever be Da Man for me.
Grew up watching him do more with a 6-foot-4 body than anyone I've ever seen.
And his unique style of dunking just tops it all off.  ;D
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

Tmac813

MCPeePants

Warren Linn. Seriously.

Pat Bradley and Al Dillard tied for 2nd.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: hoggiefan on March 28, 2006, 08:58:08 am

Mine has been Corey Beck.  I just remember being about 12 or 13 and watching the razorbacks win the championship!

I was about the same age at the time. I thought there was no way we would have that big drop off. I thought we would stay on top for a looooong time.

I idolized the Big Nasty and he was my favorite but I also liked Clint McDaniel. Best on ball defender in HOg ball history.

Those were the days.

hoggiefan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 28, 2006, 09:13:28 am

I was about the same age at the time. I thought there was no way we would have that big drop off. I thought we would stay on top for a looooong time.

I idolized the Big Nasty and he was my favorite but I also liked Clint McDaniel. Best on ball defender in HOg ball history.

Those were the days.

Those were the days.  I thought we would stay on top for a long time, or at least on the top 25 list.

Whatever happened to Dwight Stewart(i think that was his name)?

hogmary

Ron Huery, Oliver Miller and Scotty Thurman

devildog

Lee Mayberry

Classy guy (no woofing or histrionics), efficient, owned the top of the circle like none other in Razorback history (Beck would be close)

spe450

bulldog04

Brandon Dean who I think is the best dunker in Razorback history.  Remember the the college slam dunk contest?

MCPeePants

Quote from: bulldog04 on March 28, 2006, 09:31:46 am
Brandon Dean who I think is the best dunker in Razorback history. 

Our best dunker ever may have been Antwan Hall, who could have dunked on the shot clock.

Unfortunately, about all he could do was jump and he was only here for about half a season, IIRC. Anyone else remember that guy?

SigPig

Our best potential dunker was Ali Thompson- he never got to really show his game and got into some trouble so his career as a hog was short lived. The man could fly though

bdutt

Darrell Hawkins.
He was either throwin down tomahawk dunks or diving on the floor for a loose ball.
"Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who usually do."

leggman131652002

Quote from: SigPig on March 28, 2006, 09:44:44 am
Our best potential dunker was Ali Thompson- he never got to really show his game and got into some trouble so his career as a hog was short lived. The man could fly though
He could fly alright casue he was always "HIGH"

fu-man-soo

qakhed

Mine was the big O, or Ron Huery. I also liked Canon Whitby, but he wasn't an influential player like these guys.
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

hoggiefan

if you could make a dream team of former razorback players, who would be on it?  and you can pick the coach too.

qakhed

that would be tough. A full team or just five?

hoggiefan

you can do a full team or just five. either way is fine

sportscrazy

I have two.

Lindsay Howell.  He was the senior leader of the team that got Arkansas Basketball back on the map when we made the Final Four in 1990.  Corliss Williamson would be my other one.  We won the National Championship b/c of him.  We could have never put a championship on the banner if he would not have a Razorback.

razorbackfan4life

Corliss Williamson no doubt about it!

dman

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

Alvin Robertson was a favorite of mine.

:razorback:
WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

seanj22

nobody likes ron?
brandon dean is my second. he shouldve went 2 the nba. he wouldve at least made it to the grizzly bears.
third is janero pargo. he could make it outside of the stadium.
if ronnie stays, hcorliss is more than likely my fifth

hoggiefan

Quote from: seanj22 on March 28, 2006, 02:41:36 pm
nobody likes ron?
brandon dean is my second. he shouldve went 2 the nba. he wouldve at least made it to the grizzly bears.
third is janero pargo. he could make it outside of the stadium.
if ronnie stays, hcorliss is more than likely my fifth

Where is Pargo now

hogtheball

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on March 28, 2006, 09:13:28 am

Those were the days.

Clint was a good defender, but no Alvin Robertson (6-time NBA all defensive team).   My favorite is Sidney - is there anybody old enough to have watched Sid play who would vote for anybody else?  I could be wrong, but it seems like the young guys who didn't see him play vote for others.  B-ball fans who watched Sidney play know he was the best.  No comparison.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Brett Hitman Hog

Juboar

Sidney -  The best we have ever had on both ends of the court.
Second - Corliss - the best little big man in the 90's.

no one

Big Hawg 21

qakhed

It's funny, I haven't heard some of these names in years, but as soon as I hear them I remember. Like Lindsey Howell, what a player!

hoggystyle78

Sidney Moncrief, the best player to ever put on a Hog uniform, and Corliss Williamson, unstoppable in the paint, only around 6'5-6'6 but played much bigger.

Factual Fiction

mjchog

Without a doubt it has to be Larry Satchell

fineswine

Since the question is "favorite", not best, the answer for me is William Mills (R.I.P.).

mjchog

OK that was a poor attempt at sarcasm, it was hard to even type that.

On a serious note, no one built up as much anticipation when he had the ball as Al Dillard.

Richard_white

Darnell "don't tell me i can't shoot a 3" Robinson

Factual Fiction

hoggystyle78

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

pigfeet

Factual Fiction

RedSatinHog

Quote from: hoggystyle78 on March 28, 2006, 05:06:26 pm
Sidney Moncrief, the best player to ever put on a Hog uniform, and Corliss Williamson, unstoppable in the paint, only around 6'5-6'6 but played much bigger.

Yep, for those of us who watched him play, there will prolly never be a better player to don a UA uniform than Super Sid.  His dunk in the Barton Coliseum exhibition game of '78 over the 7'7" Soviet center will always stick out in my mind among his best moments, along with the Houston game @ Hofheinz and Texas Tech at Lubbock in '79.  He could turn a game on a dime.

All of the times Corliss couldn't even get a shot off versus George Zidek of UCLA in '95 only served to make me wonder how many times Moncrief would have been above the rim about to tomahawk it thru.

I'd also gladly fess up my left testicle for a poster of the SI cover photo of him versus Texas in '78.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd