Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zac Pinalto to Texas

Started by excoach, March 27, 2006, 03:58:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

excoach

March 27, 2006, 03:58:07 pm Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 04:19:23 pm by excoach
How can HND allow Mack Brown and the Texas Longhorns to come into NWA and get a verbal commitment from a D1 athlete??

hogfankb

Quote from: Bogarto on March 27, 2006, 03:59:05 pm
First he hasn't signed anything yet. Second we are overloaded at WR and I trust Malzahan knows what hes doing if he coached the kid in high school.

Doesn't pinalto play RB at Springdale? If so we are loaded at that position for a while too. But if i'm remembering right he would have a great bodytype for safety.

excoach

i realize he hasnt signed anything!! The point is Gus wanted him and HDN said they didn"t have room.

excoach

He doesn't play WR, he's a tight end.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: hogfankb on March 27, 2006, 04:00:39 pm
First he hasn't signed anything yet. Second we are overloaded at WR and I trust Malzahan knows what hes doing if he coached the kid in high school.

Doesn't pinalto play RB at Springdale? If so we are loaded at that position for a while too. But if i'm remembering right he would have a great bodytype for safety.
WR projected to be TE in college.

RAZORBART

Quote from: excoach on March 27, 2006, 04:01:10 pm
i realize he hasnt signed anything!! The point is Gus wanted him and HDN said they didn"t have room.

Link!!!!!

excoach

He's 6'4, 210, runs a sub 4.7. Great hands, one of the best down field blockers I've ever watched. Damien sure appreciated him.

RAZORBART

Which one will be the best tight end prospect, him or Cleveland ?

FLKeysGuy

Remember, verbal commitments don't mean diddley... as far as I'm concerned, the jury's out until 2/1/07.

excoach

Cleveland played more DE in 2005 than TE, so It would be hard to say. They are both excellent receivers. I think If I had to pick between the two I would take Zac at TE and play Cleveland at LB.

The_Bionic_Pig

Texas has 17 committments and will probably only sign 22-24 (Mack told him take it or leave it)  The state of Texas is loaded as is Arkansas so I suspect he will have some mixed feelings about his verbal committment over the next 10 Months until signing day.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hogfankb

Quote from: Fresh Legs on March 27, 2006, 04:14:26 pm
Quote from: hogfankb on March 27, 2006, 04:00:39 pm

I'm sick of moving these kids to safety.  If he's projected to be TE, there's no way he could be a safety anyways. 

If you want a safety, go recruit one.  No athletes, no conversions.  Get a safety.  There are usually 2 of them on every high school team to pick from.

I think houston forgot you can actually do that. Hell we are arkansas with our recent history at safety you would think it would be pretty easy.

jkcrunch

TE position is 4 deep right now and that does not count Cleveland being on campus.   Zac is not quite fast enough today to move to the outside to a WR in college and not big enough to move to OL.    He could play defense because he is a very good athlete, but he has not played that side of the ball very often.  He had really two offers when he committed Tulsa and Texas.  In a year where we need to sign 5 to 7 OL and at least 2-3 RB.  Tough call this early to offer him a schollie and we can not afford to offer one just because he is a local kid.

Hoggy Potter

No one was screaming for this kid until he committed to Texas.  If we had offered before that then everyone would have been pissed because the only school that had offered him was Tulsa.

This reminds me of the kid from Greenwood that went to Miami
Just Play to Win Baby!!!

RAZORBART

I would still like to see something to confirm Gus wanted him and HDN didn't.
with 85 scholarships I would bet if Gus wanted him badly enough they would have offered and they still might.

pseudorabies

Quote from: Hoggy Potter on March 28, 2006, 08:40:35 am
No one was screaming for this kid until he committed to Texas.  If we had offered before that then everyone would have been pissed because the only school that had offered him was Tulsa.

This reminds me of the kid from Greenwood that went to Miami

Gus was in constant contact with Zach.  He had been trying to get the OK from Dale to offer him for some time.  If Malzahn had got the OK to offer before Texas did, I doubt anyone would be complaining.

pseudorabies

Quote from: RAZORBART on March 28, 2006, 09:19:29 am
I would still like to see something to confirm Gus wanted him and HDN didn't.
with 85 scholarships I would bet if Gus wanted him badly enough they would have offered and they still might.

THis is a quote from Kurt Voigt's story in The Morning News.

"(Malzahn) said, 'I like you and I'd like to get you an offer, but coach (Houston) Nutt just thinks we have too many tight ends and receivers,"

excoach

Gus was in constant contact with Zach.  He had been trying to get the OK from Dale to offer him for some time.  If Malzahn had got the OK to offer before Texas did, I doubt anyone would be complaining
THis is a quote from Kurt Voigt's story in The Morning News.

"(Malzahn) said, 'I like you and I'd like to get you an offer, but coach (Houston) Nutt just thinks we have too many tight ends and receivers,"

thank you pseudorabies for answering RAZORBART's question. I think Gus is a pretty good judge of talent, and since he is the offensive Coordinator he should have the luxury of offering a kid he feels would fit into his system. To me it's just another one of HDN blunders. Maybe if Nutt get fired next year a schollie will open up for him.

mikeirwin

I talked with the young man's dad yesterday. The family is happy with the offer they got. They are not mad at Nutt. He said they understood that Arkansas had needs in other areas. Texas really wanted him and it was a no brainer to accept their offer.
Only time will tell if Nutt made the right decision not to offer.

Porkahontas

This is gonna be one of those years where a lot of Division I caliber players will leave the state simply because the Hogs might not have needs in those positions. We can't take 'em all, that's for sure.

All I don't want to see if the Hogs ending up offering some "sleeper" 2-star prospect from Georgia that nobody has heard of to play WR when we have top-notch talent in the state that isn't being offered for whatever reason. If the Hogs aren't going to bring in any WRs or TEs this year, I don't want to see the recruiting list littered with 'em with the likes of Tulsa, ULaLa, North Alabama, and Central Arkansas being our main competition.

FTS

You were in on Houston and Gus conversation?

excoach

I heard Mike say on the radio, there was a time if a SWC team offered a Schollie to a kid from ARK, we would counter offer that school. I guess HDN will let the 2005 Natl Champions just recruit right under his nose without a fight.

pseudorabies

Quote from: excoach on March 28, 2006, 10:23:12 pm
I heard Mike say on the radio, there was a time if a SWC team offered a Schollie to a kid from ARK, we would counter offer that school. I guess HDN will let the 2005 Natl Champions just recruit right under his nose without a fight.

Yep, you are right.  Oversigning REAL in-state D1 talent should be a problem we should welcome this year.  I can think of a WR I would have cut to pick up this kid. 

excoach

maybe we'll have a head coaching change after next season and the new coach will offer him a schollie.