Started by PIGINAPOKE, March 23, 2006, 09:00:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog_One_Stop

dick Vitale in hiding after Duke loss.  Hey LSU is better

94 Hawg

Quote from: King-Tusk on March 24, 2006, 10:18:06 am
http://www.truthaboutduke.com/

Here is the link.

Coach K and Coach Heath do have one thing in common, they are both at home now and will watch someone else's team cut down the nets.
someone needs a new hobby, this site is akin to the "truth about walmart" bunk.
"4 of last 5 years Dook hasn't made it past the sweet 16!!!!"--- gosh, he really told them didn't he.... ::)
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Pioneer Fan

I don't think LSU is the better team. More athletic, maybe, but definitely not better.

I don't really like Duke or LSU, but I can only imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth on here if Brewer took the mugging that Redick took last night. Everyone applauds the great defensive job that Temple done, but failed to see that he should be arrested for battery. Is it because we should have beaten LSU twice this year and have proven we can play with the Tigers that everyone is spewing the LSU love vibes?
I have an inferiority complex, but not a good one.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Pioneer Fan on March 24, 2006, 05:34:16 pm
I don't think LSU is the better team. More athletic, maybe, but definitely not better.

I don't really like Duke or LSU, but I can only imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth on here if Brewer took the mugging that Redick took last night. Everyone applauds the great defensive job that Temple done, but failed to see that he should be arrested for battery. Is it because we should have beaten LSU twice this year and have proven we can play with the Tigers that everyone is spewing the LSU love vibes?

scoreboard. To all you just said, SCOREBOARD. There ain't  no "better team," no "Redick was mugged," and no "shoulda, woulda, coulda won" Shiite. Just SCOREBOARD.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

VoR

Quote from: rude1 on March 23, 2006, 09:15:10 pm
Most overrated coach in America. Has there ever been a coach that gets so many of the blue chippers year after year, yet does so little with them. His kids only seem to make serviceable pros once at the next level too. More often than not, great Duke players flop at the next level, yet no one has dared question this guys ability to properly develop talent....
If he is so overrated why was Duke's record in the NCAA's from 1970-1979 only 4-2, this doesn't sound like he took over the UCLA job from Wooden, or Kentucky program from Rupp, in the 10 years prior to his arrival they had 2 NCAA appearances, from 1970-1979 they had a 186-125 record for a .598 winning percentage, while nothing to sneeze at, it's not someplace you'd say as an up and coming coach, "I wanna be the coach at Duke U.". The man has earned his respect, and as a 2nd thought, what about the year he had to have back surgery, when he left if I remember correctly Duke was in top 10 if not top 5 rankings, and either they didn't make tourney that year or it was a 1 and out.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

RedSatinHog

Most overrated coach in America. Has there ever been a coach that gets so many of the blue chippers year after year, yet does so little with them. His kids only seem to make serviceable pros once at the next level too. More often than not, great Duke players flop at the next level, yet no one has dared question this guys ability to properly develop talent....

That is going a little overboard, don't you think? 

When Coach K took over at Duke, he had to rebuild a program in the shadow of campuses at UNC and NC State which had just won national titles.  He was under unbelievable pressure from boosters who were calling for his head to be served on a platter because they did not believe in his system.  When Dean Smith retired, believe me when I tell you that many folks were saying the SAME things about him, that he got the least from the most, given the talent he had to work with.

Try and understand that I despise Duke as much as anyone, but you have to give credit where it is due.  He is a great coach, and all the athletes he gets is because he graduates players and is more successful on a consistent basis over the last 20 years than any other program in the country.  Those are BIG parts of the puzzle of how/why he is able to sign pretty much any player in the country, or in the world either, for that matter.  It used to be that UNC, Kentucky, and UCLA were the ones who did as much.

On top of all this is the fact that he was taught by one of the absolute BEST coaches in the history of the game--Bobby Knight.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 28, 2006, 08:07:32 am

When Coach K took over at Duke, he had to rebuild a program in the shadow of campuses at UNC and NC State which had just won national titles.  He was under unbelievable pressure from boosters who were calling for his head to be served on a platter because they did not believe in his system.  When Dean Smith retired, believe me when I tell you that many folks were saying the SAME things about him, that he got the least from the most, given the talent he had to work with.

Try and understand that I despise Duke as much as anyone, but you have to give credit where it is due.  He is a great coach, and all the athletes he gets is because he graduates players and is more successful on a consistent basis over the last 20 years than any other program in the country.  Those are BIG parts of the puzzle of how/why he is able to sign pretty much any player in the country, or in the world either, for that matter.  It used to be that UNC, Kentucky, and UCLA were the ones who did as much.

On top of all this is the fact that he was taught by one of the absolute BEST coaches in the history of the game--Bobby Knight.

Just to add to that...

Do any of you remember a few years ago when Coach K missed a large chunk of the season due to health problems?  I don't remember all the details, but I do remember that with his assitants coaching the team, with him out, the team was just terrible.  When he got back they immediately became a really good team again.  I remember being shocked at the impact just having him on the sidelines made in that team.  If anyone has a better memory than i do, or has some of the facts of that season, please correct me if I am wrong, but that is how I remember it.
Retired Radio Host

HogHeathen

March 28, 2006, 08:33:32 am #57 Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 08:36:38 am by HogHeathen
Sounds like there are a bunch of "k" huggers on here.  I think he has class when he's "suppose to" and that's it.  He just plays the "game" better than most.  If you watch enough Duke games (which isn't hard, their on national T.V. nightly) as I have you will see his "other side" shine more than you would expect.

IMO Duke gets away with a lot of "pampering".  I'm not saying I hate K or Duke...I just think they get a little to much hype and publicity.

HogHeathen

Quote from: uglyuncle on March 28, 2006, 08:17:02 am
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on March 28, 2006, 08:07:32 am

Just to add to that...

Do any of you remember a few years ago when Coach K missed a large chunk of the season due to health problems?  I don't remember all the details, but I do remember that with his assitants coaching the team, with him out, the team was just terrible.  When he got back they immediately became a really good team again.  I remember being shocked at the impact just having him on the sidelines made in that team.  If anyone has a better memory than i do, or has some of the facts of that season, please correct me if I am wrong, but that is how I remember it.

Ugly...they also had some poor recruiting (for Duke) years and some early jumpers (NBA) around that time...it wasn't because of poor coaching (assistants) alone....

mchogfan

March 28, 2006, 09:13:12 am #59 Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 06:43:55 pm by mchogfan
So many people expound on here without merit.

First of all, the great recruits at Duke come from the tradition that they have built.  Most of the people on here could not name more than one player from the first couple of Coack K's Final Four appearances.  Then the snowball started getting bigger.  And if you think he can't coach against athletic teams, how did he beat that great UNLV team on his way to his first ring?

Then let's talk about Wooden, and we'll go the same route.  Can you name anyone from his last championship that was won over Kentucky?  I can because I grew up in So. CA.  A couple of them went on to the NBA, but none of them were Walton or Alcindor.  And speaking of them, it wasn't like those guys didn't play against some formidable big men.  They played against guys like Elvin Hayes and Artis Gilmore.  Wooden had great philosophies and an uncompromising game plan.  He is still the Wizard!

As far as Vitale goes, he gets paid to give his opinion.  His is no different than yours or mine.  He's passionate about his beliefs, and is reluctant to admit defeat.  Sounds just like me.  Many times I've defended the Hogs in losses when I probably should have just said "we were whipped".  DV's style does get a little old.  But, some friends of mine and I spent a few hours with him and his wife at a ND football game in '95.  He was simply a class act.  And maybe he put on a show for us, but he appeared to love Arkansas basketball.  He knew all about our incoming freshman class that included Reid and Hood.  He was extremely complimentary.  That day JJ Meadors caught the famous pass from Barry Lunney to beat Alabama, and when the PA announcer in South Bend annouced the final score DV turned to us and said in his TV voice, "are you kidding me? this is football, not basketball, baby".  My friends and I will remember it forever.
California...they tell me I was born there, but I really don't remember.

lyon98

Quote from: mchogfan on March 28, 2006, 09:13:12 am
So many people expound on here without merit.

First of all, the great recruits at Duke come from the tradition that they have built.  Most of on here could not name more than one player from the first couple of Coack K's Final Four appearances.  Then the snowball started getting bigger.  And if you think he can't coach against athletic teams, how did he beat that great UNLV team on his way to his first ring?

Then let's talk about Wooden, and we'll go the same route.  Can you name anyone from his last championship that was won over Kentucky?  I can because I grew up in So. CA.  A couple of them went on to the NBA, but none of them were Walton or Alcindor.  And speaking of them, it wasn't like those guys didn't play against some formidable big men.  They played against guys like Elvin Hayes and Artis Gilmore.  Wooden had great philosophies and an uncompromising game plan.  He is still the Wizard!

As far as Vitale goes, he gets paid to give his opinion.  His is no different than yours or mine.  He's passionate about his beliefs, and is reluctant to admit defeat.  Sounds just like me.  Many times I've defended the Hogs in losses when I probably should have just said "we were whipped".  DV's style does get a little old.  But, some friends of mine and I spent a few hours with him and his wife at a ND football game in '95.  He was simply a class act.  And maybe he put on a show for us, but he appeared to love Arkansas basketball.  He knew all about our incoming freshman class that included Reed and Hood.  He was extremely complimentary.  That day JJ Meadors caught the famous pass from Barry Lunney to beat Alabama, and when the PA announcer in South Bend annouced the final score DV turned to us and said in his TV voice, "are you kidding me? this is football, not basketball, baby".  My friends and I will remember it forever.

I'll never forget watching DV do a KY basketball game and seeing the cuts on his bald plate placed there by Seattle Slew because DV thought he knew more than the horse trainer that told him Slew loves to bite people, earlier in the day.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.