Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach K

Started by PIGINAPOKE, March 23, 2006, 09:00:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PIGINAPOKE

I think this is how he looked in the last 3 Min's :puke:

An poor ole Dickie V..Friggin homer . :puke:

The whole crowd was like.. A FOUL on Duke  No Way.!! :puke:

J.J Reddick fell on his face tonight , Without him they have jack.

Good riddance to this team ..BYE !!
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Lokirain

His post game interview was classy. I want to hate him, but cannot. Plus when it matters we beat Duke, unlike some other teams in the SEC (I am looking at you Kentucky).

nwarazfan

Quote from: Lokirain on March 23, 2006, 09:07:45 pm
His post game interview was classy. I want to hate him, but cannot. Plus when it matters we beat Duke, unlike some other teams in the SEC (I am looking at you Kentucky).

Coach K is nothing but class as is the program(except Laettner). 

SpaHog

Yeah he is a class act. 

I like how he basically said (in a classy way) that his team played like a bunch of girls against a physical team.

Michael11

He is always a class act! You can hate duke but he is so hard to hate. He came ans spoke last year at my college and i left there as close to a duke fan as i will ever be!
Michael Thomason   Rom. 10:9/2CO.5:21

rude1

Most overrated coach in America. Has there ever been a coach that gets so many of the blue chippers year after year, yet does so little with them. His kids only seem to make serviceable pros once at the next level too. More often than not, great Duke players flop at the next level, yet no one has dared question this guys ability to properly develop talent....

SpaHog

Quote from: rude1 on March 23, 2006, 09:15:10 pm
Most overrated coach in America. Has there ever been a coach that gets so many of the blue chippers year after year, yet does so little with them. His kids only seem to make serviceable pros once at the next level too. More often than not, great Duke players flop at the next level, yet no one has dared question this guys ability to properly develop talent....

The reason they don't develop at the next level has more to do with not fitting a position in the NBA, not because coach K didn't develop them. 

No way is K overrated.

nwarazfan

Actually this illustrates his greatness even more especially over the last 10 years when they have continuously lost players early or signed recruits right to the draft.  But yearly they win ACC titles and are in the running for the Final 4.  Most dominant coach  since Wooden and Wooden had a benefactor buying him players. 

Just jealous nonsense.

Pigonometry

Does so little with them?  They only give out one National Champiohship trophy each year and he has three plus another 7 or 8 final Fours.  

Deam Smith had probalby more talent during his time and only won twice............
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

nwarazfan

Quote from: SpaHog on March 23, 2006, 09:17:22 pm

The reason they don't develop at the next level has more to do with not fitting a position in the NBA, not because coach K didn't develop them. 

No way is K overrated.

Duke has had many more NBA All Stars than we have had.

TXrazorback

Wow!  Please use your head before posting.
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Pigonometry on March 23, 2006, 09:18:31 pm

Does so little with them?  They only give out one National Champiohship trophy each year and he has three plus another 7 or 8 final Fours.  

Deam Smith had probalby more talent during his time and only won twice............

Actually its 10 Final Fours.

rude1

Quote from: TXrazorback on March 23, 2006, 09:20:07 pm
Most overrated coach in America. Has there ever been a coach that gets so many of the blue chippers year after year, yet does so little with them. His kids only seem to make serviceable pros once at the next level too. More often than not, great Duke players flop at the next level, yet no one has dared question this guys ability to properly develop talent.... When you are getting the best players in the country, you should win at a high level. When has he last been to a final four? Bounced yet again by a lower seed this season, with two All Americans on his squad, with one possibly being player of the year. The guy hasn't developed players nor has he won at a level that coincides with the level of talent he gets year after year. Only Dean Smith surpasses this guy with the inability to take outstanding talent and win at the highest level...

Wow!  Please use your head before posting.

TXrazorback

again, great post. Thank you for repeating my point!

(please see above)
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

dbseattle

I would bet Duke University officials want Coach K to win games more than to develop players for the NBA. It seems to me he properly develops talented TEAMS.
This post approved by Mike Markuson.

bigdaddyhawg

I don't really understand how you can call a coach who mercilessly abuses the refs ANYTIME a single call goes against him.  If he's so damn classy would he not show a little more respect to the zebras -- aren't they people, too?

Besides, it's easy to be classy when your team has all the advantages -- full of hs all-americans, twice as much good press as everyone else put together, almost all of his games on national tv, consistent favoritism from the officials, and a persistent sweet seed in the dance thanks to ncaa kissing his backside.  Why shouldn't he win the way he does with all that?  Let's see him struggle in recruiting a little, have a couple of tough years and THEN see how classy he is.

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogsNbeer

Agreed...Just Blind Jealousy...... Sad hatin on a man who consistently wins Conference titles, been a #1 Seed 10 times(tied with UNC for the lead), 3 national champions...... I don't understand your point about NBA players.... Why do you hold the NBA in such high regards...?   I agree with the other poster, it's not his job to develop NBA players, his job is to recruit the finest players he can, and to develop them into young men, and to win Conf Titles and NCAA Titles.... I think if you look at his record it speaks for itself...... You Coach K haterz are just upset he's not your coach........ Thanks.....

This thread is laughable at best. :razorback:

SpaHog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 24, 2006, 01:55:02 am
I don't really understand how you can call a coach who mercilessly abuses the refs ANYTIME a single call goes against him.  If he's so damn classy would he not show a little more respect to the zebras -- aren't they people, too?

Besides, it's easy to be classy when your team has all the advantages -- full of hs all-americans, twice as much good press as everyone else put together, almost all of his games on national tv, consistent favoritism from the officials, and a persistent sweet seed in the dance thanks to ncaa kissing his backside.  Why shouldn't he win the way he does with all that?  Let's see him struggle in recruiting a little, have a couple of tough years and THEN see how classy he is.

He's just got passion and wants to win.  If you saw the post game interview with him, he didn't say well we didn't get the calls.  He said it was a very physical game and that is not our style of game.  He said his team had to adapt and they couldn't.  He didn't blame it on not getting calls.  I think you exaggerated just a little when you said everytime a call is made against him. 

Don't get me wrong I hate Duke always have (recently heightened by JJ), but I have a hard time hating someone as classy as Coach K.

hoggiefan

I think Coach K is an awesome coach.  I have alot of respect for him.  To me, it does not matter if his player's go on to the NBA, that's not what college ball is about to me.   I would much rather watch the worse college basketball team any day over the NBA.  It is just more exciting to me.  Does anyone know the college grad rate for duke basketball players?

HogInaStrangeLand

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 23, 2006, 09:10:05 pm

Coach K is nothing but class as is the program(except Laettner). 

I don't like Duke but I completely agree with this statement.

I do wish the media would not taut how great Duke is though all the time, it does it old and I think it does influence officiating at the end of the day.

I don't like Coach K, but I'd send my kid to play for him (if I had a kid and one that was good enough to play at Duke.)

clew

ummm...so you're saying that he wins a ton of games (and championships) with players that can't hack it in the NBA.  Yeah, a coach that wins with kids that are at best "serviceable pros" really sucks.  His program is so mediocre.  I'm so glad we have Stan instead of Coach K...whatever. 

chris
Pure as the dawn

HogHeathen

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 24, 2006, 01:55:02 am

Yes Sir!!

nwarazfan

A few interesting stories from last night for the Duke haters:

PJ Tucker is from N Carolina yet could not get into an ACC school so that is how he ended up at Texass.  Sure, having academic requirements tougher than other conferences is certainly an advantage to Coach K especially since Duke is one of the toughest in the ACC.

And for the Duke can't produce good NBA players: Dunleavy scored 21 last night with 8 rebounds while Boozer went for 30.

Now back to your blind ridiculous jealous hating.

RAZORBART

I think he does a good job of getting above average players to play as a team. Something Heath has not figured out how to do yet and it would be argumentative if Heath had that many above average players.
You can't hold coach K responsible for CBS and their talking heads love affair with dookie. Like juboar, I think it is unfair for him to be on every other commercial during the march madness bonanza though.

hoggiefan

For all the Coach k haters, Is there any coach out there that you don't bitch about? 

hogsNbeer

Also for the Coach K Haterz.... Coach will be the first College Coach to coach the USA Olympic Team, since the insurgence of the PROS......   I guess the powers that be think pretty hilghly of Coach K....

This thread is bring out some pure ignorance.... JEALOUSY

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Jim Harris

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 23, 2006, 09:17:49 pm

Actually this illustrates his greatness even more especially over the last 10 years when they have continuously lost players early or signed recruits right to the draft.  But yearly they win ACC titles and are in the running for the Final 4.  Most dominant coach  since Wooden and Wooden had a benefactor buying him players. 

Just jealous nonsense.

Coach K has a benafactor or two as well. The NCAA chooses not to pursue anything, for whatever reason. The New Orleans Times-Picayune in 2003 fully illustrated the shenanigans behind the signing of Slidell's Chris Duhon and the "help" his mother got in terms of thousands and thousands of dollars from certain Duke alumni now in business in the Technological Triangle.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hoggiefan

Quote from: drakehog on March 24, 2006, 09:36:33 am

Just jealous nonsense.

Coach K has a benafactor or two as well. The NCAA chooses not to pursue anything, for whatever reason. The New Orleans Times-Picayune in 2003 fully illustrated the shenanigans behind the signing of Slidell's Chris Duhon and the "help" his mother got in terms of thousands and thousands of dollars from certain Duke alumni now in business in the Technological Triangle.

What school doesnt have someone helping "buy players" to get them into their program?

Jim Harris

Quote from: hoggiefan on March 24, 2006, 09:38:08 am

Just jealous nonsense.

What school doesnt have someone helping "buy players" to get them into their program?

well, I started to point that out as well, as at pretty much all the power schools you're going to find "benefactors" of some form or fashion. I'm as sure as all get out that things are done to "help" here, such as a family of a top player all of a sudden getting a windfall of business they didn't previously have. Has happened, folks. Happens at Duke. Probably still happens to a certain extent at UCLA. The coach "knows, but doesn't know."
I chose to just point out the Duke story illustrated in the NOTP because the poster compared Coach K to Wooden and made a point to show that Wooden had a "benafactor." In Chris Duhon's case, his mother suddenly found her house, which was about to be foreclosed on, suddenly paid for in full, she as able to rent the house out, move to the Durham area and obtain a $48,000 a year job. You can read all of this in the Times-Picayune archives. If the NCAA even bothered to check anything, you can't get an answer from them.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Tmac813

My two cents, as a Duke hater.  I think coach K is a great College Basketball coach.  He is good for College Basketball.  My only problem with him, is his post game comments come across very condescending to the opposing team, after a loss.  After they lost the NC to us, he could not come out and say.  We got beat by a better team.  The same thing as last nite.  LSU clearly was the better team.  As far as Duke's final fours and National Championships.  They've gotten favorably seedings year in and year out.  If they have a dangerous athletic team in their region, more times often than not, they lose(LSU, Mich ST, Indiana, California, etc.).  Although I must admit they have done well against the hogs.  1990 Final Four, 1991 Big Apple preseason NIT.  We did have the last laugh in the National Title game.  I wish ESPN, and the National Media would get off of his tip, it's sickening.

nwarazfan

Quote from: drakehog on March 24, 2006, 09:47:27 am

Just jealous nonsense.

well, I started to point that out as well, as at pretty much all the power schools you're going to find "benefactors" of some form or fashion. I'm as sure as all get out that things are done to "help" here, such as a family of a top player all of a sudden getting a windfall of business they didn't previously have. Has happened, folks. Happens at Duke. Probably still happens to a certain extent at UCLA. The coach "knows, but doesn't know."
I chose to just point out the Duke story illustrated in the NOTP because the poster compared Coach K to Wooden and made a point to show that Wooden had a "benafactor." In Chris Duhon's case, his mother suddenly found her house, which was about to be foreclosed on, suddenly paid for in full, she as able to rent the house out, move to the Durham area and obtain a $48,000 a year job. You can read all of this in the Times-Picayune archives. If the NCAA even bothered to check anything, you can't get an answer from them.

One story that has never been confirmed as illegal does not compare to the pipeline bought for Wooden for years.  Granted though, Wooden has the NC's so he still has to be considered the greatest. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: Tmac813 on March 24, 2006, 09:57:34 am
My two cents, as a Duke hater.  I think coach K is a great College Basketball coach.  He is good for College Basketball.  My only problem with him, is his post game comments come across very condescending to the opposing team, after a loss.  After they lost the NC to us, he could not come out and say.  We got beat by a better team.  The same thing as last nite.  LSU clearly was the better team.  As far as Duke's final fours and National Championships.  They've gotten favorably seedings year in and year out.  If they have a dangerous athletic team in their region, more times often than not, they lose(LSU, Mich ST, Indiana, California, etc.).  Although I must admit they have done well against the hogs.  1990 Final Four, 1991 Big Apple preseason NIT.  We did have the last laugh in the National Title game.  I wish ESPN, and the National Media would get off of his tip, it's sickening.

Nonsense.  He is always gracious even when losing to the opponents.  His comments last night about LSU were nothing but positive towards them.

Apathy

My opinion of Coach K and the Dookies is not the same as most of the posters in this thread.  Please, if you have time, do a yahoo or google search for the "Anti-Duke Manifesto" (someone posted it in here not long ago) and give it a read.  Very enlightening on the "classy" program.

King-Tusk

http://www.truthaboutduke.com/

Here is the link.

Coach K and Coach Heath do have one thing in common, they are both at home now and will watch someone else's team cut down the nets.
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

BARCH

This is because the next level is thugs and street ball, no defense, no hurry up - just junk. He has players that can shoot, know the fundamentals. BTW - Last time I checked, Duke had more players in the NBA than any other college.

fineswine

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 23, 2006, 09:18:56 pm

No way is K overrated.

What is your definition of "many more"?  Moncrief and Robertson made All-Star teams.  My recollection for Duke would be Giminski, Brand, and G. Hill.  I don't know if Battier made it or not, but I rather doubt it.  As an aside, Coach K. is most certainly not overrated, his players however, usually are. 
    Another interesting thing about Redick, since I know you love him.  I told Hoggintheball that he was a whiner, and got blasted for it.  Garrett Temple confirmed this, after he shut him down, said he kept complaining to the refs for fouls, what a LOSER!

nwarazfan

Quote from: fineswine on March 24, 2006, 10:30:11 am

No way is K overrated.

What is your definition of "many more"?  Moncrief and Robertson made All-Star teams.  My recollection for Duke would be Giminski, Brand, and G. Hill.  I don't know if Battier made it or not, but I rather doubt it.  As an aside, Coach K. is most certainly not overrated, his players however, usually are. 
    Another interesting thing about Redick, since I know you love him.  I told Hoggintheball that he was a whiner, and got blasted for it.  Garrett Temple confirmed this, after he shut him down, said he kept complaining to the refs for fouls, what a LOSER!

Working the officials for calls that should be made is part of the game- not complaining.  If Temple wasn't holding-like defenders have all year on JJ- JJ wouldn't have to talk to the officials.

And Laettner has been an All Star.  Try doing some research before spewing hate so you can have some facts.

King-Tusk

Anytime the calls don't go for Duke, they are going to complain.  So does every other team that doesn't get the calls they think they should get.  There were calls made last night that benefitted both teams.  Redick was simply out of his game because LSU broke their screens.  JJ showed that without the screen, he can't find his shot.  Imo, it shows a weakness in his game.  LSU was the better team last night. 

On a personal note, I was actually looking forward to seeing dick Vitale on ESPN.  He was very somber concerning the Duke loss.  I was waiting to here something like "ACC vs SEC baby, no comparison.  The ACC has no equal, we dominate the...what, we didn't win, JJ couldn't score??  Next year Duke has one of the greatest recruiting classes in history, we're gonna dominate Baby!!!!"

I also thought that his eyes were a bit red and puffy, alergies probably.

Go SEC
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

nwarazfan

Quote from: King-Tusk on March 24, 2006, 10:55:50 am
Anytime the calls don't go for Duke, they are going to complain.  So does every other team that doesn't get the calls they think they should get.  There were calls made last night that benefitted both teams.  Redick was simply out of his game because LSU broke their screens.  JJ showed that without the screen, he can't find his shot.  Imo, it shows a weakness in his game.  LSU was the better team last night. 

On a personal note, I was actually looking forward to seeing dick Vitale on ESPN.  He was very somber concerning the Duke loss.  I was waiting to here something like "ACC vs SEC baby, no comparison.  The ACC has no equal, we dominate the...what, we didn't win, JJ couldn't score??  Next year Duke has one of the greatest recruiting classes in history, we're gonna dominate Baby!!!!"

I also thought that his eyes were a bit red and puffy, alergies probably.

Go SEC

I agree LSU was the better team last night.  Not only that, they are the better team period.  And college sports doesn't get any better than Duke basketball.  I understand Dick's feelings.

SpaHog

Quote from: BARCH on March 24, 2006, 10:18:19 am

This is because the next level is thugs and street ball, no defense, no hurry up - just junk. He has players that can shoot, know the fundamentals. BTW - Last time I checked, Duke had more players in the NBA than any other college.

Barch, I didn't think you were right about this until I did some research.  Here is a link that shows NBA players by conference as well as colleges. 

http://www.rpiratings.com/NBA.html

fineswine

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 24, 2006, 10:43:51 am

No way is K overrated.

Working the officials for calls that should be made is part of the game- not complaining.  If Temple wasn't holding-like defenders have all year on JJ- JJ wouldn't have to talk to the officials.

And Laettner has been an All Star.  Try doing some research before spewing hate so you can have some facts.
I thought I did fairly well for just naming off the top of my head, so I took your advice and researched it.  I was wrong about 2 things, Laettner did make it, but Giminski never did.  Arkansas 2 all-stars, Duke 3 all-stars.  I don't think that is "many more".  Perhaps you should be the one researching before speaking.  After this year, it will be 3-3 (Joe Johnson). 

lyon98

Coach K has class, he also has a back ache when he sees a poor dook team.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

socalhogcaller

I was hoping for a Zags win and for a Texass loss, but the LSU win trumps any dissapointment I felt over those last second setbacks.

nwarazfan

Quote from: fineswine on March 24, 2006, 11:23:09 am
Quote from: nwarazfan on March 24, 2006, 10:43:51 am

No way is K overrated.

I thought I did fairly well for just naming off the top of my head, so I took your advice and researched it.  I was wrong about 2 things, Laettner did make it, but Giminski never did.  Arkansas 2 all-stars, Duke 3 all-stars.  I don't think that is "many more".  Perhaps you should be the one researching before speaking.  After this year, it will be 3-3 (Joe Johnson). 

Wrong again.  If we are going all time, add Jeff Mullins.  But I didn't become a Duke fan until around 1984-5 so I don't care about going back farther than that.  if you want to that's fine.

silvertip

No way is K overrated.

How about you compare how many McD AAs Duke has had compared to Arkansas. I don't know how to do that---but i bet %-wise, Hawgs have just as many or more NBA All Stars as Duke, when you compare how many blue-chippers each school gets.

How many NBA All Stars has Duke produced? I don't know. But here---just guessing---is Hawg players that I think have been All Stars:

Sidney Moncrief---for sure
Corliss---6th man award at least
Joe Johnson---soon if not already
Alvin Robertson---almost sure
Darrell Walker---if they have an All-Defensive team?
Ron Brewer---(?) I have no idea
Who else ? George Kok?

Now, someone tell us how many Dookies made All-NBA. Surely some of you Coach K groupies know this by memory? Please give us the source for your info. Thanks

nwarazfan

Quote from: silvertip on March 24, 2006, 12:12:45 pm

No way is K overrated.

How about you compare how many McD AAs Duke has had compared to Arkansas. I don't know how to do that---but i bet %-wise, Hawgs have just as many or more NBA All Stars as Duke, when you compare how many blue-chippers each school gets.

How many NBA All Stars has Duke produced? I don't know. But here---just guessing---is Hawg players that I think have been All Stars:

Sidney Moncrief---for sure
Corliss---6th man award at least
Joe Johnson---soon if not already
Alvin Robertson---almost sure
Darrell Walker---if they have an All-Defensive team?
Ron Brewer---(?) I have no idea
Who else ? George Kok?

Now, someone tell us how many Dookies made All-NBA. Surely some of you Coach K groupies know this by memory? Please give us the source for your info. Thanks

You are underestimating Duke's history and their NBA players.  But I'm not going to carry this thread farther because I don't want to get into putting down the Hogs.  This thread is heading in a direction I don't want to go as I love the Hogs above all else and they are the only team I will pull for vs Duke.     nba.com btw is a great place to reference current players' and recent past players' stats.

Jim Harris

Quote from: nwarazfan on March 24, 2006, 09:58:53 am
Quote from: drakehog on March 24, 2006, 09:47:27 am

Just jealous nonsense.

One story that has never been confirmed as illegal does not compare to the pipeline bought for Wooden for years.  Granted though, Wooden has the NC's so he still has to be considered the greatest. 

Wooden's guy was paying for rebounds and and giving the players means and small amounts of spending money in exchange for tickets. Nobody's mother had more than $100,000 passed their way, of course we are talking about the 1960s and 70s and not in today's figures.
The story was proved in that one day a woman with no job and no means and a foreclosure over her head suddenly owned her house and was renting it in Slidell, and it was proved that she had a job at  company working directly for the owner who was a Duke grad. I'd say that's enough smoke to wonder, the NOTP did its story and it got people interested in it for a while, but the NCAA didn't do a thing in terms of looking into it. That's a fact.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Apathy on March 24, 2006, 10:15:06 am

My opinion of Coach K and the Dookies is not the same as most of the posters in this thread.  Please, if you have time, do a yahoo or google search for the "Anti-Duke Manifesto" (someone posted it in here not long ago) and give it a read.  Very enlightening on the "classy" program.

here's a link to the Anti-Duke Manifesto, it is pretty funny.

http://terrapins.mostvaluablenetwork.com/index.php?p=72

4thdownnutt

i'll take that overratted coach any day.