Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Beard

Started by maggiesue, March 23, 2018, 10:49:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

maggiesue

Texas Tech's defense and fundamentals remind me of the great Eddie Sutton days.  This in year 2....we are where we were 7 years ago...head scratcher how Anderson is still there when guys like Beard are available year after year, and how the Mike Anderson fan club still exists!

checkraiser88

Yeah was talking to a family member about comparisons between MA and Beard. He says "that's like comparing Saban to Nutt"..

SmokinHog

Many on here advocated for Beard to be hired a few years ago.

The amazing thing to me, is that there are still people who believe it takes 4-5+ years to turn a program around. Thats just complete and utter nonsense. Teams like TT this year prove that.

And here we are with Mike, in year 7, losing our first game in the tournament. It should be unacceptable - by any standard. The ceiling has been reached. Thank Mike for what he has done here, and move the program on.

maggiesue

Quote from: SmokinHog on March 23, 2018, 10:57:32 pm

The amazing thing to me, is that there are still people who believe it takes 4-5+ years to turn a program around. Thats just complete and utter nonsense. Teams like TT this year prove that.

And here we are with Mike, in year 7, losing our first game in the tournament. It should be unacceptable - by any standard. The ceiling has been reached. Thank Mike for what he has done here, and move the program on.

I advocated for it when I saw UALR beat Purdue.  I have an MBA from Texas Tech and I know for a fact that recruiting to Tech is much harder than recruiting to Arkansas.  It is coaching...pure and simple.  Sickening to think of all the wasted years of bad basketball with more to come.  Watching Tech is just good!

MikePiazza

I wonder if threads were made like this in 2009 when Mike was taking Missouri to the Elite Eight and the Hogs weren't even treading water in the SEC.

This isn't even a Mike apologist post or saying that Mike is a better coach than Beard, but the grass is always greener.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Breems

Now it's time to see if it's sustained success or flash in the pan. I think most of his key pieces were already in place. Remarkable coaching job this year, though.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

MikePiazza

Quote from: Breems on March 23, 2018, 11:28:31 pm
Now it's time to see if it's sustained success or flash in the pan. I think most of his key pieces were already in place. Remarkable coaching job this year, though.

Yeah, there's no knocking his coaching ability. Doesn't mean you have to pile on Mike to prop Beard up, but that's what people seem to want to do.

Breems

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 23, 2018, 11:30:47 pm
Yeah, there's no knocking his coaching ability. Doesn't mean you have to pile on Mike to prop Beard up, but that's what people seem to want to do.

Or they like to pretend that we "let him get away," because we were obviously going to replace Mike at the time with a UALR coach that had won 1 NCAAT game.
The dude also wants to be at Texas Tech (NOSTALGIA HIRE OMGZ!!!)
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

maggiesue

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 23, 2018, 11:23:58 pm
I wonder if threads were made like this in 2009 when Mike was taking Missouri to the Elite Eight and the Hogs weren't even treading water in the SEC.

This isn't even a Mike apologist post or saying that Mike is a better coach than Beard, but the grass is always greener.

That is so wrong!  Look at the quality of the product vs. Arkansas....night and day!  Great passing, defense, rebounding, guys following a miss with a tip in...players who enjoy each other, understand the game of basketball and are giving credit to their coach.  Another Mike cheerleader defending bad basketball.

MikePiazza

Quote from: maggiesue on March 23, 2018, 11:39:02 pm
That is so wrong!  Look at the quality of the product vs. Arkansas....night and day!  Great passing, defense, rebounding, guys following a miss with a tip in...players who enjoy each other, understand the game of basketball and are giving credit to their coach.  Another Mike cheerleader defending bad basketball.

Sorry I'm a cheerleader defending the coach of the program I root for. Not really concerned about Chris Beard making it as far as Mike has. But he does it Eddie Sutton's way! Did Eddie win a national title here?

TrueBlue

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 23, 2018, 11:43:03 pm
Sorry I'm a cheerleader defending the coach of the program I root for. Not really concerned about Chris Beard making it as far as Mike has. But he does it Eddie Sutton's way! Did Eddie win a national title here?

No, but he has won something numerous times that CMA hasn't: Conference Titles and Conference Tournaments.

maggiesue

Eddie won every year regardless of his players....no rebuilding.  He went to 9 straight NCAA tournaments before leaving for Kentucky, went to a final four and beat Notre Dame in the third place game when they still played those, and won five SW conference titles.  All with much less resources than coaches to follow.  Barnhill was sold out every game and the noise was deafening and the effort and quality of play was awesome!  Fans couldn't wait for tournament time because the team was well coached and there was hope every year for a deep run in the tournament.  Great days!  The fans today don't feel that way or have the passion, because the basketball is bad and the hope of going deep in the tournament is gone.  Coaching makes a huge difference....tired of hearing the excuses about three tournaments in seven years!

drester77

Quote from: TrueBlue on March 23, 2018, 11:55:30 pm
No, but he has won something numerous times that CMA hasn't: Conference Titles and Conference Tournaments.
Bread has won one sunbelt title...  No other titles...

hobhog

Yuracheks job is to compile the short list for next year at this time. Needed or not.

razorback1829

Quote from: maggiesue on March 24, 2018, 12:04:59 am
Eddie won every year regardless of his players....no rebuilding.  He went to 9 straight NCAA tournaments before leaving for Kentucky, went to a final four and beat Notre Dame in the third place game when they still played those, and won five SW conference titles.  All with much less resources than coaches to follow.  Barnhill was sold out every game and the noise was deafening and the effort and quality of play was awesome!  Fans couldn't wait for tournament time because the team was well coached and there was hope every year for a deep run in the tournament.  Great days!  The fans today don't feel that way or have the passion, because the basketball is bad and the hope of going deep in the tournament is gone.  Coaching makes a huge difference....tired of hearing the excuses about three tournaments in seven years!

It makes me sick people like you come and this board and fight so viguorously for another coach at another school. Consider your Hog fan pass revoked.

Torqued pork

Arkansas doesn't strive to be great anymore. It strives not to be horrible.

NinoHogUNIA

Mark Fox looked really good at Nevada. 

I don't think Beard is a bad coach but I'm not putting him in the HOF. 

Tech wasn't a dumpster fire and I believe they finished 2 games above .500 in Big 12 play. 

F it let go get Porter
BIE

BossHawg_Outlaw

Quote from: Torqued pork on March 24, 2018, 01:02:27 am
Arkansas doesn't strive to be great anymore. It strives not to be horrible.

That is true in all sports.  People are afraid of change because maybe it could be worse.  So just sit there and be happy with what we got.  It's sad our measuring stick of a good season is if we made the tournament not if we made a run.

cram224

Quote from: checkraiser88 on March 23, 2018, 10:56:58 pm
Yeah was talking to a family member about comparisons between MA and Beard. He says “that’s like comparing Saban to Nutt”..
No way MA is a better coach than Nutt. Saban to Pelphrey would be more like it. Come to think of it, CMA is always being compared to Pelphrey. I'll give it to Mike, he is an upgrade over Pel.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: SmokinHog on March 23, 2018, 10:57:32 pm

And if Beard had been hired at Arkansas he would taken the Texas Tech job as soon as it was offered.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 24, 2018, 07:45:22 am
And if Beard had been hired at Arkansas he would taken the Texas Tech job as soon as it was offered.

Exactly.

Mike, when you get a chance, could you give us your analysis on the state of our program?  Players, coaches, recruiting, etc. I know we would all like to hear your take on it all. (And sorry if I've missed it already).

raz1965

Beard has shown himself to be a great floor coach, appears to have Bobby knight attributes from a distance so who knows what his long term results could be.

Peter Porker

Quote from: NinoHogUNIA on March 24, 2018, 04:15:49 am
Mark Fox looked really good at Nevada. 

I don't think Beard is a bad coach but I'm not putting him in the HOF. 

Tech wasn't a dumpster fire and I believe they finished 2 games above .500 in Big 12 play. 

F it let go get Porter

Beard has done it at 2 schools.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

deserthog

When watching Eddie's teams I never said before each game "OK let's just not get embarassed"

hogfan10

Ironic that you defend our current coach while demeaning our former HOF coach.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: hogfan10 on March 24, 2018, 10:10:34 am
Ironic that you defend our current coach while demeaning our former HOF coach.

Eddy crawled to get out of Arkansas. Mike crawled to get back in.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on March 24, 2018, 12:19:48 pm
Eddy crawled to get out of Arkansas. Mike crawled to get back in.

Exactly. I have no vitriol for Eddie, although the crawling comment and the rampant alcoholism and carousing would certainly give one ammunition for that sort of thing.

There's no knocking 260-75 in 11 years.

holeinthewall

Quote from: drester77 on March 24, 2018, 12:08:51 am
Bread has won one sunbelt title...  No other titles...

He has only been a D-1 HC for 3 years.  And he won a conference title in his 1st year. And an NCAA tourney game in his 1st year.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 24, 2018, 07:45:22 am

Due to his connection there. I've never faulted anyone for wanting to go "home".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi