Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 2018 instate WBB commit

Started by psycHOGlogist, March 17, 2018, 11:15:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

psycHOGlogist

Formerly committed to New Mexico, 6'2" F Erynn Barnum has committed to Arkansas and will sign in April. Per Twitter and RD.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/mar/17/arkansas-womens-basketball-adds-state-commitment-1/

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 17, 2018, 11:15:02 pm
Formerly committed to New Mexico, 6'2" F Erynn Barnum has committed to Arkansas and will sign in April. Per Twitter and RD.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/mar/17/arkansas-womens-basketball-adds-state-commitment-1/

thanks for the info, she definitely will be a help
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

nwahogfan1

Good HS numbers and really good length.  Can she help immediately or will she need time?

Are we done for this year?

psycHOGlogist

The highlight videos of her online are not super high quality, so it's hard to judge (plus — I'm not the greatest judge of college potential even with perfect videos lol), but I think she looks like a project with good upside. On the plus side, it looks like she can shoot the 3, is athletic, and plays aggressive. On the minus, she looks a bit raw and misses some bunnies in her vids. Plenty to work with, though.

As for being done for the year - hard to say. I haven't heard that anyone is leaving the team, but there could always be something we haven't heard about. We have 14 on last year's roster, and there are 13 total schollies allowed. I don't think McClure is on scholarship (I don't know that for sure, but it seems most likely), and only Cosper is out of eligibility. So with Doumbia coming in plus Barnum, that puts us at 14 scholarship athletes next year - which isn't kosher. That leads me to think that someone leaves or decides to forego a last year of eligibility. One departure gets us to 13, and more than that could open up additional spots.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 18, 2018, 06:40:26 pm
The highlight videos of her online are not super high quality, so it's hard to judge (plus — I'm not the greatest judge of college potential even with perfect videos lol), but I think she looks like a project with good upside. On the plus side, it looks like she can shoot the 3, is athletic, and plays aggressive. On the minus, she looks a bit raw and misses some bunnies in her vids. Plenty to work with, though.

As for being done for the year - hard to say. I haven't heard that anyone is leaving the team, but there could always be something we haven't heard about. We have 14 on last year's roster, and there are 13 total schollies allowed. I don't think McClure is on scholarship (I don't know that for sure, but it seems most likely), and only Cosper is out of eligibility. So with Doumbia coming in plus Barnum, that puts us at 14 scholarship athletes next year - which isn't kosher. That leads me to think that someone leaves or decides to forego a last year of eligibility. One departure gets us to 13, and more than that could open up additional spots.

I believe McClure is a walkon.  But there is one other kosher variable, one player could get an academic scholarship, and free up a scholie.  Or, Barnum might have also been offered that as well. Or, we could have one player who is leaving.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

rolyat_2008

Thought women get a 15 scholarship limit.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on March 18, 2018, 07:40:48 pm
Thought women get a 15 scholarship limit.

You are correct! Thanks for the correction - was looking at a men's site and didn't realize it was different for women.

So ... we definitely have at least one more schollie available. So we can keep dreaming of a JUCO big or grad transfer for a little bit longer! ;-)

rolyat_2008

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 18, 2018, 08:22:28 pm
You are correct! Thanks for the correction - was looking at a men's site and didn't realize it was different for women.

So ... we definitely have at least one more schollie available. So we can keep dreaming of a JUCO big or grad transfer for a little bit longer! ;-)
A grad transfer would make 5 seniors for next season and we have 3 commits currently for 2019 in Daniels, Reece and Oberg. We have recently had an in home visit with 2019 Jayla Hemingway. Who else are we on for 2019?

Am I correct in saying right now we would only have three scholarships for the 2020 instate class? Mason, Williams and Stout would be seniors.

I know it wouldn't helped next year but we may take another transfer like Gaulden and Dungee that has to sit a year. If they were a junior transferring in they would sit next year and play the following as a RSr. giving us a fourth scholarship for 2020.

flippinhogmana

how does the transfer rule work with the scholarship limit?  those girls have to be on scholarship during the year they have to sit

psycHOGlogist

March 18, 2018, 09:41:15 pm #9 Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 05:58:58 pm by psycHOGlogist
We are on at least a couple of other 2019s - though I don't know how much they are on us. Two that leap to mind are McKenna Warnock (PN #70) from Wisconsin and Cydni Dodd (PN #69) from Indiana. Warnock is a tall wing and Dodd is a wide body post. In state, we have also offered Marquesha Davis from Springdale. In Oklahoma we have offered Gabby Gregory (PN #87) and maybe Jalei Oglesby? CMN is following her on twitter. He is also following 2019 Sarah Dumitrescu (PN #47), a Romanian U18 national team player who is teammates with Doumbia at IMG (6'-ish small forward). And LR's Kennedy Tucker has at least been on an unofficial, but you have to think that by taking Daniels' commit, the chances of getting Tucker might not have been very good.

There are probably several others, but these are the ones I've heard about most recently. I know for sure that Dodd and Warnock have a LOT of offers. Gregory has had home visits with Az State, Colorado, OK State, and FAU recently. Hemingway has also had Miss St and Kentucky in to see her. It's probably good that Ole Miss fired Insell, because Hemingway had some connections to his father in AAU.

Exciting to see where the 2019 class might end up. Even if no one else big signs, that's two top 100 kids (Oberg, Reece) and maybe a third in Daniels.

flippinhogmana

Jadyn Bryd was also offered from what I understand, the 6-4 post now going to Jenks.

LadybackBBFan

We have 13 on scholarship this year.  McClure is a walk-on and I am sure will not earn a scholarship as she did not even come to the tournament.  So right now we will have 14 on scholarship next year with our one graduate, one signee and one commitment.   We loose 4 Seniors the next year, which would bring us down to 10 and with our 3 commitments for 2019 back up to 13.  With the hard rush on several in that class in addition to our commitments, it is hard to see that we bring in anyone else for next year unless they would be of immediate help and too good to turn down.  However, there is also the possibility of transfer or quitting basketball, it has happened before.  Also remember that the NCAA is considering making a transfer easier that could impact transfers for next year.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 18, 2018, 10:41:13 pm
Jadyn Bryd was also offered from what I understand, the 6-4 post now going to Jenks.

Thanks - I couldn't remember whether she was a 19 or a 20, but she is a 19.

rolyat_2008

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 18, 2018, 09:41:15 pm
We are on at least a couple of other 2019s - though I don't know how much they are on us. Two that leap to mind are McKenna Warnock (PN #70) from Wisconsin and Cydni Dodd (PN #69) from Indiana. Warnock is a tall wing and Dodd is a wide body post. In state, we have also offered Marqueshia Davis from Springdale. In Oklahoma we have offered Gabby Gregory (PN #87) and maybe Jalei Oglesby? CMN is following her on twitter. He is also following 2019 Sarah Dumitrescu (PN #47), a Romanian U18 national team player who is teammates with Doumbia at IMG (6'-ish small forward). And LR's Kennedy Tucker has at least been on an unofficial, but you have to think that by taking Daniels' commit, the chances of getting Tucker might not have been very good.

There are probably several others, but these are the ones I've heard about most recently. I know for sure that Dodd and Warnock have a LOT of offers. Gregory has had home visits with Az State, Colorado, OK State, and FAU recently. Hemingway has also had Miss St and Kentucky in to see her. It's probably good that Ole Miss fired Insell, because Hemingway had some connections to his father in AAU.

Exciting to see where the 2019 class might end up. Even if no one else big signs, that's two top 100 kids (Oberg, Reece) and maybe a third in Daniels.
Appreciate the info! Any thoughts on 2020 recruiting in addition to all the instate guard offers?

What year is Saylor Poffenbarger? Her name was mentioned in the Daniels article.

psycHOGlogist

March 21, 2018, 05:50:04 pm #14 Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 06:02:43 pm by psycHOGlogist
The 2020 class instate is insane. All it is missing is a true big. I know we are very, very actively trying to recruit Sasha Goforth, Coriah Beck, Destiny Salary, and Elauna Eaton. I have heard that the staff doesn't think we can get all of them, but they are all on the wish list. There is also a connection between Coach Goldwire and Caitlin Clark, ESPN's current #1 2020 recruit and a PG from Iowa, where Coach G used to be an assistant. I don't know whether that relationship would be enough to get us a close look from her, but they are linked up on social media. Also instate, I think Wyvette Mayberry (yes, his daughter) has an offer. She moved from Fayetteville to Watson Chapel this year. I don't really know about any true 2020 posts we might be after, but I hope there are some! I will try sniffing around some more. I think Goforth could play anywhere from the 2 to the 4. She is a tough matchup.

Poffenbarger is a '21 (currently a freshman). She is one of several 21's that I am aware of that the staff is very interested in. Payton Verhulst from Bishop Miege in Kansas, Aaliyah Moore from Oklahoma, Raycheal Harjo from Oklahoma, and Wynter Rogers from Little Rock Christian are all at or near the top of the '21 wish list, I believe. Maybe also Payton Andrews from Oklahoma - also a stud PG. I have no idea how strong a shot we have at any of them, but I know that Moore was on an unofficial last year (during the summer, I think) and that we were Harjo's first offer. I know that the staff has been to see Verhulst play, too (her team just lost the 4A state championship in OT, and Payton was their leading scorer - as a freshman. I think she made first-team all state, as well).  Harjo and Andrews played for the Banshees last year. Jersey Wolfenbarger from FS Northside was on an unofficial when Coach Dykes was in charge; I am not sure if the new staff has stayed in touch with her, but I hope so. And of course, there is a thread on here already about 6'5" Maryam Dauda from Bentonville. Hard to ignore that kind of size in your own back yard. She is not as developed a player as the other 2021's listed here, but those who have seen her (a group that does not include me) think she has a lot of upside (pun sort of intended).

With the exception of Dauda (not knocking her, just commenting on current status), all these 2021 names are really blue chip kids, and if we get any of them, it would be a HUGE deal for the program.

Rocket23

I know Michigan State has offered Wynter Rogers.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on March 19, 2018, 08:06:10 am
We have 13 on scholarship this year.  McClure is a walk-on and I am sure will not earn a scholarship as she did not even come to the tournament.  So right now we will have 14 on scholarship next year with our one graduate, one signee and one commitment.   We loose 4 Seniors the next year, which would bring us down to 10 and with our 3 commitments for 2019 back up to 13.  With the hard rush on several in that class in addition to our commitments, it is hard to see that we bring in anyone else for next year unless they would be of immediate help and too good to turn down.  However, there is also the possibility of transfer or quitting basketball, it has happened before.  Also remember that the NCAA is considering making a transfer easier that could impact transfers for next year.

by the time the 2020 class rolls around Stout and Mason will have used up their eligibility as well (at the completion of the 2020 season) so by that fall we should have up to 4 scholarships for that class.

brs_hogfan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 21, 2018, 05:50:04 pm
Also instate, I think Wyvette Mayberry (yes, his daughter) has an offer. She moved from Fayetteville to Watson Chapel this year.

I don't believe we have offered Wyvette Mayberry. She is a very good player but I think if we were to offer another in-state 2020 point guard (i.e. in addition to Coriah Beck) it would more likely be to Lakyn Sanders who is a more explosive player.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 17, 2018, 11:15:02 pm

Does anyone think Erynn will get much playing time her Freshman year?   She that good?  Who's minutes will she get?  I think She has a huge up side being long, athletic and a scorer but does she need strength or weight to play this year?

Are we still recruting?  Right grad transfer?  Or any transfers?  Juco?  Any updates?

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: brs_hogfan on March 24, 2018, 08:50:06 am
I don't believe we have offered Wyvette Mayberry.

I think you are correct. Thanks! Has Sanders recovered fully from her injury? Wishing her well...

brs_hogfan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on March 24, 2018, 09:54:17 am
I think you are correct. Thanks! Has Sanders recovered fully from her injury? Wishing her well...

I haven't seen her play since returning from her ACL injury. However, she was named 4A All-State and to the 4A State Tournament Team. So she must be doing pretty well on her recovery.

psycHOGlogist

According to Raoul on twitter, Cydni Dodd (mentioned above as a 2019 big we have offered) has a list of finalists that does not include the Hogs (but does include SEC foes Florida, LSU, MSU, and Mizzou). Bummer, but probably a long shot to pull a big from Indianapolis to Fayetteville. Still plenty of other 2019s out there for our 1-2 remaining schollies:

TN Jayla Hemingway (5'10" SG/W, in her top 10)
WI McKenna Warnock (6'1" wing; lots of offers, not sure we're still in it)
OK Gabby Gregory (6' small forward, have done an in-home)
FL Sarah Dumitrescu (6'1" G/W at IMG with Doumbia, is injured and sitting out AAU this spring/early summer)
OK Jadyn Byrd (6'3-4" big from Jenks)
AR Marquesha Davis (5'11" Springdale small forward)

And there are probably more.